Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » international asexuality day!

hi! i’m not sure how many people know this (given that i found out yesterday) but today (april 6th) is the first ever international asexuality day :D
so, this is a great chance to wish your ace friends a happy international sexuality day and educate yourself on what asexuality is as well as acephobia!

here are some resources to start with:
https://asexuali-t.carrd.co/
https://asexualquiz.carrd.co/

happy international asexuality day to my fellow aces ^_^

Remove this ad

Finally! I feel valid!
Wooo ace day! :D As an ace I feel great hearing this! -v-

And I have a message to fellow asexuals - if people say mean things, be it that people like you do not exist and that you're just a late bloomer, don't let them make you feel invalidated due to their viewpoints and/or lack of understanding. No matter what they say, keep in mind that you are valid and that you're not the only one out there. There are maaany people like you who will understand your struggles and who are willing to share their experiences with you. .v. So stay awesome and be happy with yourself, 'cause as one song says "it's A-okay to identify with A".
Sunflower Topic Starter

VenatorNocturnus wrote:
Finally! I feel valid!

i’m so glad that you do!
Sunflower Topic Starter

ChebaTheBee wrote:
Wooo ace day! :D As an ace I feel great hearing this! -v-

And I have a message to fellow asexuals - if people say mean things, be it that people like you do not exist and that you're just a late bloomer, don't let them make you feel invalidated due to their viewpoints and/or lack of understanding. No matter what they say, keep in mind that you are valid and that you're not the only one out there. There are maaany people like you who will understand your struggles and who are willing to share their experiences with you. .v. So stay awesome and be happy with yourself, 'cause as one song says "it's A-okay to identify with A".

i definitely agree with you but i also want to emphasize that the examples you mentioned are acephobic because sadly not everyone will be understanding but it still is acephobia :/
I am not ace myself, but good day to all of you aces out there! You deserve so much more appreciation! Happy Int. Ace Day! :D
Lark (played anonymously)

Ooh, this is awesome! Happy Ace day, everyone! 💜
Yay! Asexuality!

I am on the ace spectrum myself, it varies person to person where they are, but all of us fit under the ace umbrella, whether asexual, greysexual, or demisexual.

Since we are here celebrating, I also want to spread awareness of the stereotype that all asexual people do not partake in sexual interactions and anyone who does 'isn't really asexual'. This is wrong! Asexual people and whether or not they engage with other people is a personal thing. It's person to person and being asexual does not automatically mean 'does not do the sex'.
Auberon Moderator

I am not ace (tho I am aro spec), but I support all of y'all and your identities. Happy ace day! You're seen and you're so valid!
Huh...
Didn't even know they were preparing something like this.
Oh well, better for us, I suppose.
Sunflower wrote:
ChebaTheBee wrote:
Wooo ace day! :D As an ace I feel great hearing this! -v-

And I have a message to fellow asexuals - if people say mean things, be it that people like you do not exist and that you're just a late bloomer, don't let them make you feel invalidated due to their viewpoints and/or lack of understanding. No matter what they say, keep in mind that you are valid and that you're not the only one out there. There are maaany people like you who will understand your struggles and who are willing to share their experiences with you. .v. So stay awesome and be happy with yourself, 'cause as one song says "it's A-okay to identify with A".

i definitely agree with you but i also want to emphasize that the examples you mentioned are acephobic because sadly not everyone will be understanding but it still is acephobia :/

Yeaaah I guess I messed up in wording or something...
It was the 6th? I missed it?! Not that I would have done anything but I'm feeling a bit pleased to see things like this regardless. I love that more people are acknowledging asexuality as a thing. <3
Sunflower wrote:
ChebaTheBee wrote:
Wooo ace day! :D As an ace I feel great hearing this! -v-

And I have a message to fellow asexuals - if people say mean things, be it that people like you do not exist and that you're just a late bloomer, don't let them make you feel invalidated due to their viewpoints and/or lack of understanding. No matter what they say, keep in mind that you are valid and that you're not the only one out there. There are maaany people like you who will understand your struggles and who are willing to share their experiences with you. .v. So stay awesome and be happy with yourself, 'cause as one song says "it's A-okay to identify with A".

i definitely agree with you but i also want to emphasize that the examples you mentioned are acephobic because sadly not everyone will be understanding but it still is acephobia :/

Doubt and fear of the unknown is a constant in our psychology, and change such "preconstructed" ideas about us requires time and understanding. I honestly think his advice was very valid, because it's statistically impossibile to not have some members of our society who will not accept our traits as humans, so it's always best to try changing yourself (by learning how to not feel invalidated by ignorance and prejudice) while time and efforts proceed to change other's people attitude towards something yet misunderstood.

ChebaTheBee wrote:
Sunflower wrote:
ChebaTheBee wrote:
Wooo ace day! :D As an ace I feel great hearing this! -v-

And I have a message to fellow asexuals - if people say mean things, be it that people like you do not exist and that you're just a late bloomer, don't let them make you feel invalidated due to their viewpoints and/or lack of understanding. No matter what they say, keep in mind that you are valid and that you're not the only one out there. There are maaany people like you who will understand your struggles and who are willing to share their experiences with you. .v. So stay awesome and be happy with yourself, 'cause as one song says "it's A-okay to identify with A".

i definitely agree with you but i also want to emphasize that the examples you mentioned are acephobic because sadly not everyone will be understanding but it still is acephobia :/

Yeaaah I guess I messed up in wording or something...


I don't think you did, and I don't think you said anything wrong with that. There's no point of sugar coating it: people still have some bad, discriminatory ideas about asexuality (and many other things, ofc), so no point in hiding the plain truth. I think your advice of learning how to cope with such scenarios is actually really helpful and mature. Changing others is not easy and quick (and, sometimes, it's even wrong to do so), much better change our way of thinking about ourselves so to not be crushed by words from people who misunderstand things out of fear, ignorance or anything else in between. As an Ace, I thank you for that.
Lord_Cegorach wrote:
Sunflower wrote:
ChebaTheBee wrote:
I don't think you did, and I don't think you said anything wrong with that. There's no point of sugar coating it: people still have some bad, discriminatory ideas about asexuality (and many other things, ofc), so no point in hiding the plain truth. I think your advice of learning how to cope with such scenarios is actually really helpful and mature. Changing others is not easy and quick (and, sometimes, it's even wrong to do so), much better change our way of thinking about ourselves so to not be crushed by words from people who misunderstand things out of fear, ignorance or anything else in between. As an Ace, I thank you for that.

Oooh I see. The reason why I provided this advice is because last year, one guy openly told me that asexuality does not exist and implied it's actually celibacy. Unfortunately I let him get to me and it made me feel horrible. Like, whenever I recalled the things he had said I was really angry and sad because he behaved like a know-it-all, so yeah... There were similar people like him I've met while growing up...
Lord_Cegorach wrote:
I don't think you did, and I don't think you said anything wrong with that. There's no point of sugar coating it: people still have some bad, discriminatory ideas about asexuality (and many other things, ofc), so no point in hiding the plain truth. I think your advice of learning how to cope with such scenarios is actually really helpful and mature. Changing others is not easy and quick (and, sometimes, it's even wrong to do so), much better change our way of thinking about ourselves so to not be crushed by words from people who misunderstand things out of fear, ignorance or anything else in between. As an Ace, I thank you for that.

Oooh I see. The reason why I provided this advice is because last year, one guy openly told me that asexuality does not exist and implied it's actually celibacy. Unfortunately I let him get to me and it made me feel horrible. Like, whenever I recalled the things he had said I was really angry and sad because he behaved like a know-it-all, so yeah... There were similar people like him I've met while growing up...

(EDIT: whoops, made a mistake by posting twice :S)
ChebaTheBee wrote:
Lord_Cegorach wrote:
I don't think you did, and I don't think you said anything wrong with that. There's no point of sugar coating it: people still have some bad, discriminatory ideas about asexuality (and many other things, ofc), so no point in hiding the plain truth. I think your advice of learning how to cope with such scenarios is actually really helpful and mature. Changing others is not easy and quick (and, sometimes, it's even wrong to do so), much better change our way of thinking about ourselves so to not be crushed by words from people who misunderstand things out of fear, ignorance or anything else in between. As an Ace, I thank you for that.

Oooh I see. The reason why I provided this advice is because last year, one guy openly told me that asexuality does not exist and implied it's actually celibacy. Unfortunately I let him get to me and it made me feel horrible. Like, whenever I recalled the things he had said I was really angry and sad because he behaved like a know-it-all, so yeah... There were similar people like him I've met while growing up...

(EDIT: whoops, made a mistake by posting twice :S)

Well, that was a, somehow, reasonable "response" since, even now, science is struggling to understand what causes asexuality, pretty much like they took their time to finally get why nature wanted homosexuality to exist as well. They know it's there, but for the moment they still need to check in the right places. So yes, trying to find a logical (for their point of view) response to such an "unusual" phenomenon is, somehow, expected. However, imo, he was wrong to spout absolutes and not a question.

You can say that you think asexuality is a way to mask celibacy, a thrauma or something else you don't want to be discovered. It is an opinion, posed as a question, as such open to debate and for an exchange of opinions: as an Ace, I will always welcome and encourage this kind of mental attitude, even (especially) if it doesn't align with my belief about my own experience. Who knows... maybe he's right and I'm wrong? I can't simply dismiss such possibility, science and reasoning are born trought conflict (of opinions).

But to point out that "This is that" when even the most brilliant minds in the scientific community are saying "We can't say for sure what is this, what is that, and in what order the two are presented"... then no, that's pure prejudice, phobia or simply a very low level of open mind, and those are the harmful comments that one needs to learn how to defend yourself against, especially if they are professed with malicious intents (because, sometimes, it's not always the case).
Lord_Cegorach wrote:
Well, that was a, somehow, reasonable "response" since, even now, science is struggling to understand what causes asexuality, pretty much like they took their time to finally get why nature wanted homosexuality to exist as well. They know it's there, but for the moment they still need to check in the right places. So yes, trying to find a logical (for the point of view) response to such an "unusual" phenomenon is, somehow, expected. However, imo, he was wrong to spout absolutes and not a question.

You can say that you think asexuality is a way to mask celibacy, a thrauma or something else you don't want to be discovered. It is an opinion, posed as a question, as such open to debate and for an exchange of opinions: as an Ace, I will always welcome and encourage this kind of mental attitude, even (especially) if it doesn't align with my belief about my own experience. Who knows... maybe he's right and I'm wrong? I can't simply dismiss such possibility, science and reasoning are born trought conflict (of opinions).

But to point out that "This is that" when even the most brilliant minds in the scientific community are saying "We can't say for sure what is this, what is that, and in what order the two are presented"... then no, that's pure prejudice, phobia or simply a very low level of open mind, and that's the harmful comments that one needs to learn how to defend yourself against, especially if they are professed with malicious intents (because, sometimes, it's not always the case).

Oooh I see your point. :O
Happy Ace day to all my Ace/Aro/Demi family members, friends, and acquaintances! \o/

I hope y'all feel valid today! (and everyday)
Aw i missed the day but ayeee I'm ace!
Also AVEN is a great resource too!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » international asexuality day!

Moderators: MadRatBird, Keke, Auberon, Dragonfire, Heimdall, Ben, Darth_Angelus