Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Blank Character Profiles

I remember when I first joined I was told a few times that profiles and character profiles were important but many times I see little to no information when I look at profiles. So I began to wonder.

How important is the character profile and player profile (to you guys basically)?

How do you feel about them?

What do you like to see? What don't you like to see?

I'm just really curious.
I usually don’t rely on my profiles just because I’m just not the type of person who’s gonna be able to finish them timely, so I don’t usually hold others up to a standard I’m not meeting myself

However I do usually check profiles still, especially if I’m not too sure on that person. I usually just check for general red flags, but also just proof that our writing styles which match up.
I feel profiles really aren't important at all, but they are helpful for the other person to get an understanding of the kind of character they're going to be interacting with and give a little insight as to who and what that character is.

But this can also be done just by talking to the other person and just working things out together.
Actually sometimes I feel like people write too much useless information that I simply don't care about and in doing so I just stop reading their profile because it just ends up becoming boring. But that's less about the profile and more about the person writing it.

So in my opinion, they're a helpful tool but honestly not important as long as you communicate openly with the other person.

(edit)
And if you mean non-character based profiles, then I don't think those matter either.
My character profiles tend to be more in depth, and I tend to be more interested in characters with in depth profiles with interesting layouts. Gifs, photos, art, information on their zodiac sign, music. I find it pretty important as I tend to lose interest when someone messages me with a character that has little to no information, as it just doesn't intrigue me. I also tend to use people characters profiles as a way to see some how how they write and word things. So very little detail in character profiles tends to put me off. I am more interested if at least the basics and some fun layout is happening.
For me, a blank profile is ignored 99.9% of the time.

3 reasons:

1. This profile is either fresh and thus not ready to RP with yet.
2. There’s no information to sell on the character. Why should this character interest me if I know nothing about them?
3. Having a blank profile very often indicates a lack of commitment to the character.

This goes doubly so if they flood the profile with images that are playbys. If someone has original art of a character, it’s different, but it’s still a hard sell.
Eternal_Dream Topic Starter

Folklore wrote:
I usually don’t rely on my profiles just because I’m just not the type of person who’s gonna be able to finish them timely, so I don’t usually hold others up to a standard I’m not meeting myself

However I do usually check profiles still, especially if I’m not too sure on that person. I usually just check for general red flags, but also just proof that our writing styles which match up.

So in a way it does help but if they don't have one you don't hold it against them?

RoundTableKing wrote:
I feel profiles really aren't important at all, but they are helpful for the other person to get an understanding of the kind of character they're going to be interacting with and give a little insight as to who and what that character is.

But this can also be done just by talking to the other person and just working things out together.
Actually sometimes I feel like people write too much useless information that I simply don't care about and in doing so I just stop reading their profile because it just ends up becoming boring. But that's less about the profile and more about the person writing it.

So in my opinion, they're a helpful tool but honestly not important as long as you communicate openly with the other person.

(edit)
And if you mean non-character based profiles, then I don't think those matter either.

I get that. Though knowing a bit about the person you are going to rp with is helpful because in some cases it gives insight on the person's personality, play style and other things. It doesn't have to be a lot but it's helpful.

To Me, the point of the profiles is to give the other person information with out having to ask. Because honestly some do not give clear answers when asked in normal DMs. Or the answers are constantly vague or responses are filled with IDK.
If they can't give you a clear answer in a direct conversation, putting that same information in a profile isn't gonna make it any more clear.

Kamizombie wrote:
For me, a blank profile is ignored 99.9% of the time.

3 reasons:

1. This profile is either fresh and thus not ready to RP with yet.
2. There’s no information to sell on the character. Why should this character interest me if I know nothing about them?
3. Having a blank profile very often indicates a lack of commitment to the character.

This goes doubly so if they flood the profile with images that are playbys. If someone has original art of a character, it’s different, but it’s still a hard sell.

I feel these because sometimes I feel like it makes their characters blank and then when they state things about their character in OOC or RP they forget months later and contradict it. Having it on a profile keeps from having to sift through weeks of back and forth or relying solely on memory. When things get switched around it causes inconsistencies and confusion. Slip ups will happen but forgetting your character origin or abilities or basics can ruin plot/character development.

I don't need a ton of info or spoilers and honestly I never use info I learn in profiles in the rp it just gives me an idea of the character they have created. Maybe i just have the thought. 'Ooo I wonder how that will come into play.' Anyways i just like to know at a minimum the basics of the characters.

RoundTableKing wrote:
If they can't give you a clear answer in a direct conversation, putting that same information in a profile isn't gonna make it any more clear.

That could be true for some but definitely not everyone. Some people aren't the best sellers of themselves when in direct conversation (ooc) but will do fine in rp. A profile gives the option of providing info with out being barraged with questions about the character. I see it as a foundation. It also helps when building plot if you have a base to flow from.
I love fleshing out my characters' profiles, but I don't tend to put as much effort into my own personal profile. :3
MasterWinter

RoundTableKing wrote:

(edit)

Personally I think if you can't take time to go over a person's work they put effort into doing, because you get "bored" reading stuff and can't just skip stuff and keep going, then why bother at all?

Not trying to be a jerk here, I'm being serious in my question.

End knows me enough that if I do not have a decent amount of character information up, then I won't put a muse up at all. Plus she, and others, appreciate the work and effort put into a muse.

To me, in my personal opinion only, it sounds as though you have little focus and a lack of interest if you seriously go by your above statement. Again that is just how I see it.

Plus if you don't fully read over a muse's information, regardless of how "bored" you get from the "useless" information, by not continuing to read said information you might miss out on an answer to something you'd end up asking the writer about.

Now if there is more information than you care to read, I could see asking for a summary of the muse in question. But really...IF you have the time, what is so hard about reading what is presented? Okay so you could possibly care less what color a muse's hair and eyes are when reading their basic information. Still. You could miss out on important information provided within the provided information.

And granted not everything will be shared within the muse's backstory or basic info for all to see, as of course you need some stuff for when you do the rp.

Anyways...

• How important is the character profile?

Very important. It lets me know in advance what expectations the person has. Also helps with coming up with story seeds to make too.
  • How important is the player profile?

Just as important is the player profile, since this can give insight on their play style not evident in an incomplete profile. Can also be handy for asking for side character limits, unless there's a profile dedicated explicitly to such.
  • What do you like to see?

I love seeing bits and pieces that show the character fits into the setting they live in. For example...
    • The character's a god? Great! Tell me how their worship base is constructed. Tell me if their portfolios are related to anything the worshippers value them for. Tell me what senses this god has that could cause rifts between them and a non-divine character.
    • The character's a CEO? Great! What do they sell? How do they interact with their boardroom? Their customers? And their suppliers?
  • What don't you like to see?

One-trick pony characters. AKA character profiles written only to play up a single trait. While this does give me a good idea of what prompts to provide, it doesn't provide a lot of wiggle room or alternate pacing mechanisms.

The answers to the above sample questions should not be almost copy pastes of each other. Nor should the other person playing with such people be confined to playing simpletons forever.
With player profiles I prefer to see their roleplay preferences and limits/general comfort zones, but seeing as these things can be covered while brainstorming on a plot together, I don't mind if player profiles are short or perhaps blank altogether.

With character profiles, I do decline plot if they're blank by comparison. There's simply no information to go off of when this is the case. When a profile uses a quote for their tabs, I really appreciate a navigation guide on the front page for easier reading. I love the immersion that comes with the bells and whistles of gifs and other photos, but a well-written character description and character sheet does the job for me -- basically, I think shorter/limited profiles can convey detailed info on the creation as much as the in-depth profiles can.

When checking out a character, I look for any visuals from dollmakers, references or commissioned art, a character sheet, and if either looks interesting I'll browse through history and other pages. Over all the profiles mean a lot because it allows me to gauge a little insight into the OC as well as the player through their writing/playstyle, whether our respective muses might be compatible, whether the profile inspires a different idea I could propose, and whether the player appears to be someone I can comfortably communicate with as a story unfolds.

By comparison I don't enjoy seeing bright text against dark templates because it strains my eyes if I'd like to spend more time browsing a history page. Unfortunately, these templates mean I click away prematurely. I dislike seeing repetitive information since diversity is my jam, and characters displaying heavy IC drama right off the bat. Mind you this is just a personal preference of mine. <3
There is a lot one can do with character profiles on this site. It’s a bit time-consuming to get everything sorted out right away when a character is created. I’ve been trying to present a proper ‘shell’ and ‘skin’ right away with a few basic details, a background style, and an avatar. Though my characters may be lacking in some details and background at first, I do tend to consistently edit them and fill in more details and play with all the widgets as I have time and inspiration. Have to say I’m loving this site!

To answer the OP’s questions:
How important is the character profile and player profile (to you guys basically)?
I think it is important to have ‘something’ to present.

How do you feel about them?

Blank icons and no background along with no information says the character isn’t ready for roleplaying to me

What do you like to see?
An icon and a background with at least a half dozen lines of the basics presented. A photo/graphic is a plus.

What don't you like to see?
Ive covered the ‘blank’ aspect already, but likewise if a character page has a lot of ‘busyness’ with gifs and youtube links yet doesn’t say much about the character, I usually back out of the character page right away.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Blank Character Profiles

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus