Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Stand with Ukraine!

Hello.

Some of you know me, some of you don't. I'm posting here, as you might have guessed, because of the recent invasion of Ukraine by Russia. This conflict is a massive tragedy and injustice, on a scale that can be hard to understand. If you're anything like me, you probably feel helpless and fearful. Maybe angry.

So I did some research and made some donations. We don't have much control over these horrible events, but we can do our part to give aid and succor to those effected by this act of aggression. To that end, I've decided to gather a collection of links to various charities and fundraisers. I'm posting this here so that anyone else who wants to help can.

I have verified each of these charities to the best of my ability, but if I missed something, let me know and I will make the needed edits. I have also attempted to provide a mixture of international organizations and Ukrainian-operated organizations.

Links

Global Giving's Ukraine Relief Fund

World Help Displaced Families Fund

Project Hope's Crisis in Ukraine Fund

UNICEF's Ukrainian Children Fund

United Help Ukraine

Revived Soldiers Ukraine

Thanks to @wilts, information is also available on Ukrainian artists should you wish donate to them/commission them.
wilts wrote:
If anyone tells you they are in Ukraine and need help and send you a PayPal link -- be cautious, may people in Ukraine do not have access to PayPal. 🙏

I am being told that some do, but please be cautious that there are those that falsely take advantage of situations for their own benefit.

Link of Ukraine artists posting for support here
Thank you for this. I copied the links in case this gets deleted. I have a friend who is Ukrainian-American who lived in Washington DC, and she is really having a hard time worrying about friends and family in Ukraine. Her grandfather was a decorated Soviet war hero in world war 2, and she said he is turning over in his grave with anger. I would like to support them in any way I can. I am even looking into Doctors Without Borders.
Claine Moderator

Dawnia wrote:
Thank you for this. I copied the links in case this gets deleted.

This will not get deleted :)
i think it’s great that you’re sharing these!
i would however like to add, that this isn’t a conflict; it’s war
Beautiful, I was waiting for someone to start a topic about this issue. Thank you so much! I will be sharing the links on my social medias accounts. Let's hope that this war will stop soon, t
I just read that the president of Ukraine is the number one target .
I can see why this would get deleted, thankfully it won't, so the invasion yes is wrong but lets remember we are on a RP site, not a political site. XD i didn't mean that. I'm glad you posted something like this. We can't let Ukraine stand alone, Russia was not right to invade nor did they have a reason to. And dib, its not surprising the president the prime target. Although its marked as a conflict, it mise well be a war waiting to happen.
Agree, they have also been reporting that the guy family is the second target. I wouldn't be surprised if one or a two world leaders shows up in Ukraine in amry gear and starts fighting Russian. My money on the president of France
Thank you for sharing this information.

I will say as a side note to anyone looking for commissions to try giving the Ukrainian artists some love if possible as well. I know a lot have emergency commissions up to get out of the country and I have been doing my best in that category to help on the individual side while also giving a bit of donation to charities.
@Nettle Thank-you for sharing this. It’s been a rough day and week all around, but being able to help even a little in such a terrible war, that should never have happened, is better than feeling completely helpless about it. ❤️
Dib2435 wrote:
Agree, they have also been reporting that the guy family is the second target. I wouldn't be surprised if one or a two world leaders shows up in Ukraine in amry gear and starts fighting Russian. My money on the president of France

We already know for sure America's president won't do it. He'll stay as far from is as possible. The best he's doing is sanctions and sending troops to Poland. It's like nationwide coverage here. I swear this is world war three waiting to happen in my mind.
Nettle Topic Starter

Sorrisky wrote:

I will say as a side note to anyone looking for commissions to try giving the Ukrainian artists some love if possible as well. I know a lot have emergency commissions up to get out of the country and I have been doing my best in that category to help on the individual side while also giving a bit of donation to charities.
That's a great idea. Do you happen to have the names of any of these artists? It'd be great if I could add them to the orginal post.
Falyn wrote:
@Nettle Thank-you for sharing this. It’s been a rough day and week all around, but being able to help even a little in such a terrible war, that should never have happened, is better than feeling completely helpless about it. ❤️
I know how you feel. There's a saying from the jewish Talmud: he who saves one life, saves the world entire. Sometimes I think about that in relation to situations like this.
I just learn that the Russians might try to take Kyiv tonight/tomorrow, thankfully the Russians aren't having the war go the way they wanted to go and that there are some speaking out against the war even if they are going to lose their lives by their own country.
Yep, and it will be all over the news when it goes down.
Agree and turns out France just got approved for Russain to be sanctioned from SWIFT and more ... I hope France knows how the ISS works...
Claine wrote:
Dawnia wrote:
Thank you for this. I copied the links in case this gets deleted.

This will not get deleted :)

This is good to hear. I thought I read somewhere about it being an RP site and not for posting about current affairs and politics. Maybe I was mistaken as I did look over several other sites before coming here and may be confused.

it was heartening to see the protests in Moscow even though they know there is a likelihood they will join Alexei Navalny in the gulag. I am going to say it. Vladmir Putin is a thug and a war criminal. Do not be 'anti-Russian', for he is not 'Russia'.

Oh yes, Xi Jinping is staying relatively quiet as he gives measured support to Putin and is watching carefully as he has eyes on invading Taiwan.
Nettle wrote:
Sorrisky wrote:

That's a great idea. Do you happen to have the names of any of these artists? It'd be great if I could add them to the orginal post.
Falyn wrote:
I know how you feel. There's a saying from the jewish Talmud: he who saves one life, saves the world entire. Sometimes I think about that in relation to situations like this.

Thank-you for your words. Shalom ❤️
For those who want to discuss the political aspects of this, RPR does have a semi-official politics group. Although it was created geared toward US politics, it's a quiet enough group that I doubt it would be seen as a problem, especially if you end up talking about if/how the US might get involved.

I'm glad that RPR is maintaining its general stance about the safety and wellbeing of people not itself being a political matter and letting the resources shared remain available for those who wish to help people in need.
Kim Site Admin

Dawnia wrote:
I thought I read somewhere about it being an RP site and not for posting about current affairs and politics.

We don't consider the stance that aggressive wars are bad and that the victims of said wars need help to be "politics" or even controversial. We just consider it basic human decency. Nettle checked with us before posting this, and we cleared it.
Zelphyr wrote:
I'm glad that RPR is maintaining its general stance about the safety and wellbeing of people not itself being a political matter and letting the resources shared remain available for those who wish to help people in need.

Bingo. :)
Hey do anyone has any updates on the battle of Kyiv?
Dib2435 wrote:
Hey do anyone has any updates on the battle of Kyiv?

Last I heard, they were having trouble getting into the city, but there were strikes. I know that the Ukrainians have a considerable stockpile of anti-armor weapons and have homefield advantage in the city.

Not to be a commentator on the war: But Putin has committed 100 percent of his Reserves to this, which is baffeling and a clear sign of desperation. He's also threatening other bordering countries, despite having zero forces to back it up. If there is conflict in Poland and Switzerland, he'll need to split his forces, which might actually save Ukraine and cost Putin this war.

As for how the Ukrainian people are doing, a friend I spoke with who lives nearby Kyiv said that the conflict was starting and that he was fairly sure the Russian forces were being hit hard. Pretty sure Putin will take Kyiv, but that's not the biggest issue; keeping Kyiv is more important, and pleading to the international community to recognize Ukraine as Russia's land is another issue entirely.

I think Putin is bluffing about his nuclear reaction, and I think with NATO countries openly sending care and weapons to Ukraine despite it, and having nothing happen, speaks loudly to Putin's conviction to the nuclear button. It was merely to scare us and buy him time, and it's quickly falling apart because we aren't and Ukraine isn't folding, and he has a bad hand.

If you know Ukrainians, inform them that they need to start looking for the Polish border ASAP when it is safe to move. Russian troops are killing civilians, so advise them to move during the night or when troop movement is clear. Poland is ready to receive Ukrainian Refugees. Please spread this last paragraph

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Stand with Ukraine!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus