Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » What are some of your unpopular music opinions?

Anony-mouse (played anonymously)

Posting this Anon because I'm in the mood for drama but don't feel like having anyone come at me for it, lmao.

What are some of your unpopular music opinions? Just a couple of mine:

1. Nirvana and Green Day aren't all that great. Look, I know that's like a stab in the back to many, many people, but I just... can't get into them?? There's a few songs that both bands have that I can appreciate but they just bore me (though Green Day tends to irritate me more than anything.)

I was a late 90's kid - I grew up on Alternative/Rock - Linkin Park, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Breaking Benjamin, Matchbox 20, Candlebox, Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc., so it's not like I was just uncultured with either bands by any means.

2. My music taste varies anywhere from 70s-90s (AC/DC, Foreigner, Guns N' Roses, Bon Jovi) to Indie to Rock to Metal to Eminem to Disney of all things. I'll even accept that there's some Country I listen to as well. But most of the pop, rap, or solo artists like Drake that we have now just really suck.

Mumble rap is horrible. My brother (ten years my junior) listens to a lot of what I just call screamo-rap? Like 6ix-9ine and similar artists and just drives me wild knowing that there's any appeal to it.

3. With the recent release of Stranger Things 4, there has obviously been a rise in a lot of 80s music coming back to light, Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill" being the most popular at the second; anyone else really dislike the original? I love love love Placebo's cover.

I think it really adds an extra eeriness to it that would have been perfect to throw into the show as well, despite it obviously not being from the time period.

-

Just my 2¢ here. Obviously they mean nothing and everyone has differing opinions, but I am very curious to hear other less than popular opinions regarding music.
Hm... I think most of what might be considered "unpopular opinions" I have around music would probably be various, "Actually, I kind of like it."

Mm, here's one I can think of: I find the voice of Serj from System of a Down to often be grating and unpleasant in a sort of strange way that... honestly, really works. The specific grating quality it has is a peculiar one that makes it equally fascinating, and most of the unpleasantness isn't so much that it's bad to hear so much as that it sounds a little painful to do (but I greatly doubt that it actually is for him).

I can't give an overall opinion on rap beyond that I'm very finicky about it, and typically am biased a bit against it. I don't think it's any "lesser" of a genre or anything, but I personally put a lot of value on melody, so the lines basically need to word twice as hard.

I don't think I'll ever dislike Enya's music.

More random than "unpopular": I recently heard a cover of Linkin Park's "Numb" that featured what I think was throat-singing in the chorus. It was fantastic.

Something I don't think is unpopular (at least for anyone who's experienced it): Watching anyone react to Disturbed's cover of "The Sound of Silence" for the first time is amazing. :D Same for watching anyone react to hearing Bohemian Rhapsody for the first time. In both cases, those with music-related careers can be particularly fun to watch. And yes, there are adults still discovering these things for the first time.
Nickelback isn't bad.
I'll come out and say it. I dislike rap. I find it utterly tasteless to me. Same with today's pop.
I dislike rap music immensely. I also dislike almost all modern pop music. They’re essentially just releasing the same song over and over again. It all sounds the same.

Justin Bieber is overrated and I file him under “modern pop music” in terms of quality. However the amount of hate he got is disturbing.
After 2016, music became all the same because no one’s wanting to experiment with sound.

Tik Tok has ruined music in a way because it’s made the already scarce selection on the radio 20x worse to the point it’s only “Bad Habits” by Ed Sheeran, “As It Was” by Harry Styles, that one GAYLE song she lied about to promote on a Tik Tok, “STAY” by Justin Bieber and the new Lizzo song, you all know the one, on the radio any more and it makes me want to absolutely want to never ever listen to music ever again
Thatnerdychick wrote:
I'll come out and say it. I dislike rap. I find it utterly tasteless to me. Same with today's pop.
I mean... have you tried The Stupendium? >.>
Led Zeppelin is overrated ... especially the song 'Stairway to Heaven'.
Going by what's been said already, it's clearly not an unpopular opinion, but I'm not a fan of rap. There are two things I like in my music - melody and energy (though if they're lacking, I can make an exception for a really good rhythm). Often I'm fine with one or the other. I can enjoy the softest of Coldplay, Keane, Radiohead, etc songs, whilst at the same time also be partial to some of the more extreme of death metal.

Rap often lacks either. As does a lot of modern hip-hop and R&B. Of course, there are exceptions. And I'm certainly not against rap as a vocal style - there's a number of rap-rock music in my library, as well as songs with rap segments.

When modern 'pop' music comes on, and the melody seems to bounce around one or two chords and nothing else, I just can't stand it. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate trashy pop - just so long as there's melodic worth. Like for instance, I'm not usually a big fan of Rihanna's music, but I fricken love Umbrella.
In junkebox musicals (Musicals where their songs are not original, but are the songs of a specific album or singer) the reversals of the songs are much better than the originals for the most part. For example: Jagged Little Pill, American Idiot, Jersey Boys, Moulin Rouge, etc
Fleetwood Mac was better for the drama than the actual music :*
I like bands like Allison Krauss and Union Station, Dave Matthews, Michael Buble, Bob Marley, Beatles, America, Elton John, B Joel, Ed Sheeran. I like a lot of different music.
Hmm...in my opinion I usually don't like generalizing hip-hop/rap as all the same because there's so many different sub-genres of it and different types of artists and their version of talent. I know most today feels that rap can be tasteless and crap and though it can be true in some cases, there are some artists out there that shows the more poetic side of it that talks more about love, social issues, and deep subjects and feelings. Then adding the artistic spin with the lyrical flow.

I personally don't feel for trap music, gangster rap, mumble rap, and the ones that glorify living the lifestyle of violence, drug dealing, showing off all material or financial gain, or demeaning of women since I don't live that life and can't relate to it. I like more of the positive type hip-hop songs. To be honest, some hip-hop songs I only listen to because the of the beat and melody has a nice flow or its catchy. I don't care about the lyrics on some of those and if need be, I'd just listen to the instrumental.

On my play list there's mostly that of old school hip-hop on there. The other genres I enjoy are soft rock, easy listening, classical, jazz, some older R&B (mostly those from the 80s and 90s), pop (mostly 80s and 90s), I'm trying country but I have to really really be in the mood for it.

To conclude, most of today's stuff I'm not in to. There's probably some R&B here and there I might listen to but most times, I'm listening to older stuff. Most of today's music are sampled and lacks originality and just sounds like BS. But everyone has their tastes and opinions and some music just aren't for them and I respect that.

Just my personal take on it <G>
Nirvana and Green Day aren't all that great.- agree and i was a teen in the seattle area i would get linched for this if i said i dont like nirvana36
Back with more hot takes. I unashamedly think “sad boy country music” is the best genre of music to listen to on your late night heartbroken cruises.

Some of my personal favorites, thought cheesy I think they just hit the right spot.

Flowers- Chris Young

Tomorrow- Chris Young

Whiskey Lullaby-Brad Paisley

Don’t- Billy Currington

Curious to know what y’all’s opinions are of this? :) and what your guilty pleasures are.
LittleMouse wrote:
After 2016, music became all the same because no one’s wanting to experiment with sound.

Tik Tok has ruined music in a way because it’s made the already scarce selection on the radio 20x worse to the point it’s only “Bad Habits” by Ed Sheeran, “As It Was” by Harry Styles, that one GAYLE song she lied about to promote on a Tik Tok, “STAY” by Justin Bieber and the new Lizzo song, you all know the one, on the radio any more and it makes me want to absolutely want to never ever listen to music ever again

I wouldn’t say tik tok made the radio worse but rather you’re probably already hearing those songs more on the web so they are just more grueling lol.

I keep my car permanently on the throwbacks channel and call it a day
RoundTableKing wrote:
Nickelback isn't bad.

Finally, a person of culture!

Anyway, I suppose my unpopular music opinions are related to video games.

Like, I'm a huge Sonic fan, and that series is famous for its music, but I feel like its music peaked in the Adventure era and has been on a steady decline since Colors. Unleashed was the last game with a good OST. Forces' OST sounds like trash.

Other video game related hot takes!

Grant Kirkhope is over-rated. Or at least, the thing people know him for is. He actually has a pretty diverse range of what he can compose, but everyone only knows him for the OBNOXIOUS banjo-kazooie music. Banjo's music is awful. I hate it. Kill it with fire. You know that kid in band class who was determined to make their trombone sound like a fart? That's banjo-kazooie's music in a nutshell.

Phantasy Star Online 2 sounds bad. Sorry, weebs! Can't get behind how uncool it is. Also, quit putting it in my Sonic games. >:(

Sega Master System/Game Gear soundboard > NES/Famicom soundboard. Sick and tired of how over-rated the famicom is. It's not bad, but it's way too into them saw waves.

Megalovania is over-rated. Undertale has a lot of good music and THIS is the track y'all know? C'mon.

Lena Raine >>>>>>> C418. Sorry, but I only like C418's 1.13 tracks. Most of my time with the Minecraft OST is spent with the modern tracks, which were composed by 3 different people, including Lena Raine, who is responsible for the OSTs to Celeste and Chicory: A Colorful Tale, for reference.

Breath of the Wild's ambient music is good, actually! It fits the game you're playing and is pleasant to listen to. I understand the complaints that it's a bit sparse (like most of BotW, really) but the hate it got at launch was insane just because "Oh, well, Skyward Sword had a fully orchestrated OST!" So did BotW! It's just more subtle!

Stewart Copeland doing the remade music for Spyro Reignited did not save the OST. The original tracks are still better. His newer tracks sound tinny and lack bass. Honestly you'd be better off perusing the Cope Land youtube channel where people make original songs out of the old games' soundfonts that are meant to sound like Spyro stages than hoping the original composer still has his touch.

The soundtrack MATTERS. I've been convinced to buy Rainbow Billy because of one track on the OST. I've been convinced to try Risk of Rain 2 because AstronautDown made the soundtrack. I've played way more Sonic 06 than is healthy because the game might suck but its OST slaps. It's not the be-all-end-all of video games but a bad OST, even for a decent game, will lose that game points in my book. They matter.
Also, credit your musicians.
Aya

I think "Master of Puppets" is the ONLY good song for Metallica, all their other songs sound repetitive and forgettable (and some even noisy tbh)

Not all "oldies" music is good to be honest. Like every single era, some songs are good and some are bad. Just because you like "old fashioned" music it doesn't mean you have taste and other people don't. And continuously bragging about it honestly makes you seem like a pretender, because real fans don't prefer to listen to their music in silence.

Every genre has good and bad songs, there is no "completely bad genre", some rap music is amazing and actually changed lives (Tupac, anyone?). Elitists love hating rap, but they're actually missing out.

Not all modern day singers are bad either, some are really talented and write meaningful songs, such as: Imagine Dragons, Coldplay, Linkin Park, Skillet, Tori Kelly, Kendrick Lamar, Owl City, Ed Sheeran, Paramore and many others. I agree that many new artists are untalented, write bad lyrics and are just pure cringe (Cardi B, Billie Eilish, Doja Cat, Lil Pump, Ariana Grande etc) but as I said, every era has good artists and bad ones. But I find it really funny when people say ALL music of this era sucks, because it's just not true.

Two Steps From Hell and E.S. Posthumus make much better compositions than Hans Zimmer, their soundtracks are the stuff of legends, and actually moves me.
Ooo...what a crackling-with-energy-and-drama sort of thread.

Welp, I DO like Nirvana, but I can see how someone might not think they're so super great. To me, it's something I have to be in the mood for, and I wouldn't say it's objectively one of the best bands ever (if you were going to look for the best band ever, you'd have to at least consider someone whose music spanned multiple decades and lasted for generations like, say, maybe the Beatles, in my humble opinion). Nirvana is who I listen to when I'm really angry in a "heck with it all" sort of way or feeling kind of cynical and fed up. For some reason I feel drawn to it when I feel like that.

I will agree with you (the OP, I mean) about Green Day, though. Yes, I like some of their songs. I was looking forward to seeing them in concert a few years ago. But at that concert they were terrible. They didn't do many songs anyone wanted to hear and the dude sounded high the whole time.

Anyway. Erm... unpopular. Unpopular.

Oh! I am slightly ashamed to say that I apparently actually like some of the newer Justin Bieber songs (*cringe* I can't believe I admitted that in public). First, I started liking the Despecito remix then found out that he was in it and that's when I realized that I might not think he is so bad any more. Then I kept hearing this catchy song on the radio and knew all the words and could sing along with it before I found out it's totally a Justin Bieber song (not even just a remix of somebody else's song). That song is Love Yourself, and gosh dang it--it's flipping catchy, ok? His mama don't like her, and she likes everyone. So relatable.

So anyway, apparently I like Justin Bieber now, sometimes. I just can never forget the image of him as a preteen singing "baby, baby, baby, baby..." the cringe-factor was too great.

As for rap, I don't know enough about it to have an opinion. The last rap song I liked was "One Love" by Macklemore, and I'm not sure if that counts as rap or not. I do love some Macklemore.

It's true, many artists nowadays leave something to be desired but I honestly find gems out there every once in a while too. Apparently, to some people, it's an "unpopular opinion" to say that folk music is good (?). And according to two of my friends, the singer Kimya Dawson it intolerable. Me, I think folk music is delightful and that Kimya Dawson is a genius. That's my time. ✌️
I used to be an extreme fan of Tokio Hotel in my teenage years, and I had a great bunch of friends that loved them too. It is now over a decade later and most of those friends and other former fans I've met cringe at their younger selves for enjoying their music and being their fangirl. This is the same for bands such as Black Veil Brides and a number of others. Personally, I still listen to their songs and really enjoy their music even as an adult, I don't cringe at my younger self for having that taste (but I do for a number of other reasons).

Often times, I hear people say that they are glad they've outgrown that phase, and while I know it is a to each their own thing it still feels a little weird to have the unpopular opinion of still enjoying them.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » What are some of your unpopular music opinions?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus