Skip to main content

Forums » Forum Games » Tell us about a time when... (IC or OOC)

Hey guys, here's another prompt batch for you all! Hope you're doing well! The same rules apply as usual; there's no wrong way to take part, post as many times as you want, and roll a d20 for your prompt! Hope you enjoy ☺️

//

Tell us about...

1. A time when your character acted out of envy.

2. A time when your character was brutally honest in a situation where maybe they shouldn't have been.

3. A time when your character put someone else's needs before their own, and was rewarded for it.

4. A time when your character lost their temper and did something they regretted.

5. A time when your character experienced the butterfly effect.

6. A time when your character told a huge lie, and got found out.

7. A time when your character was truly happy.

8. A time when your character completely misread the room or situation.

9. A time when your character pushed through insurmountable odds.

10. A time when your character did something completely stupid.

11. A time when your character's ego or stubbornness got them into trouble.

12. A time when your character completely won someone over or charmed them.

13. A time when your character found something surprising out about themselves.

14. A time when your character met someone briefly, but it left an impression on them.

15. A time when your character had to work for an authority figure they disliked.

16. A time when your character acted as a mentor or role model.

17. A time when your character had to put on a metaphorical 'mask'.

18. A time when your character was so anxious they couldn't sleep.

19. A time when your character indulged in their guilty pleasure.

20. A time when your character showed an unexpected side of themselves towards someone.
Well... I went ahead and cooked for Patchouli.
rolled 4d8 and got a natural 19.
3 1 7 8
Ciel (played anonymously)

(( I have no idea what a butterfly effect is, so I'm going to do number 4, above it ))

"Well, one day, my fiancee, Elizabeth, had threw an unannounced party for me at my manor. She had given me an outfit and a ring to wear to it." He calmly sat down. "I had wore the outfit, but not the ring. I already had a ring I wanted to wear, my own, the Phantomhive Family Ring, passed down by generations." He took a cup of tea into his hands as he talked with the person asking him this question.

"She noticed the ring, and without thinking, she took it from me and threw it, only for it to break against the floor." He said, taking a sip of tea.

"I was so upset, that I nearly hurt her, I nearly slapped her, blinded by anger, and if it weren't for my butler, I would have hurt her." Ciel looked down, feeling a bit sad from talking about it. "I apologized, and ignored the ring, and continued the dance with her that night."

"My butler repaired the ring, though I didn't ask him too. Something about me secretly wanting it back, and maybe there is some truth to that." He added, "Though I did not hurt Lizzy, I regret almost hurting her."
rolled 1d20 and got a natural 5.
(At this point I consider myself a regular feature on any of Skylarks games.)

16. A time when your character acted as a mentor or role model.

What could essentially be a summary of the latter part of Marcus's life, perhaps up to the current. Imperial loremasters and sages have long surmised the responsibility of the elder to the younger out of a cultural context and perhaps this is mutual to many cultures which look to such. In the valradic context this esoteric moral concept is referred to as the Burden of Patricians. Valradic society placed a great emphasis on education, wisdom and knowledge and the traditional hierarchy of such has always been from the experienced veteran to the less experienced, traditionally that has been from elder to younger but this is not binding.

Marcus's principal profession was military endeavors, both in the imperial military and otherwise, he served in a large number of campaigns across varied circumstances, environments and foes and lived to tell the tale. His legacy is a divisive topic but those who know him will either view him in a benevolent yet strict fatherly context or view him as a rather stubborn and impulsive commander all too given to conflict to consider alternative means of accomplishing an objective. It is difficult to quantify the magnitude of effect he might have had as a mentor, after all being a general and commander to several hundred highly capable and accomplished soldiers in his day.

There is no doubt that Marcus is an especially harsh and disciplinary mentor, he considers it his duty to forge exceptional warriors for the realm and in his philosophy " Men have forgotten the law of the gods, the law of the wilds, whereupon only the strong, the cunning or the brave may persevere. Nature does not shed tears for wolves slain in pursuit, just as we do not shed tears for the unworthy ". Those under his tutelage that survived found themselves achieving his ambitions however, at the time, Marcus was rather blinded to the intricacy and complexities of the human mind, where a weapon did not have initiative of its own, a man made into a weapon without directives and left to his own devices and prone to the proclivities of mortal excess or moral decay could truly become a monster and that realization came to late.

Marcus made some heroes, but he made many more villains and now he absolves the realms of his taint through the use of blade wherever possible. The world after the collapse of the Empire was a lawless and vicious place, it was a place where wolves thrived, but humanity was needed lest all fall to ruin. Marcus would never live to see the dark ages that followed, but he fought hard to prevent them.
rolled 1d20 and got a natural 16.
14. A time when your character met someone briefly, but it left an impression on them.

Under darkness, it hunted. Like lightning, it struck.

As the darkest day of the year crept further from its hole and upon man, so did the monsters that hid beneath its belly. Heavy footfalls echoed down the increasingly empty streets, followed by the rush of crisp autumnal winds carrying the faint chorus of thunder. Some would’ve called it quite ominous. The runner, however, found it far more terrifying.

Harrison met Azura'ellys under the cover of darkness; it was brief, bloody, and short. Some time later, they shared a hoagie, parted some wisdom, and went their separate ways.
rolled 1d20 and got a natural 14.
"Hmmmm…"

EDIT: "Well, I certainly have a lot to choose from here. I think the most memorable would be when I decided I was finally going to try and reconcile with my mother. Of course, we all know how that went…"
rolled 1d20 and got a natural 18.
Cole Macgrath (played by FictionDragonborn)

Alright, Let's give this a shot.

*sighs* Well, I blew up a gas station.
rolled 4d4 and got a natural 10.
3 4 2 1
Yaazecsus (played by Leighoflight)

New Skylark game !! eeeee

Let’s see….

“A time when your character lost their temper and did something they regretted.”

——-

*sharp inhale*

I’ll admit my children can be trying at times…and I have lost my temper with them a few rare times that I always regret. I’m getting better at it. I know they are only small and its my own stuff that I’m annoyed/tired with, its not their fault…

*sigh*
rolled 1d20 and got a natural 4.
A perplexed look briefly lit up the eyes behind the mask as the vigilante slowly tilted her head in thought. "A time when I found something surprising out about myself, hm?"

She pondered for some long instants, then murmured: "I guess I could tell you about that time,... I was no older than fifteen...." Had it really been only ten years ago? Sometimes, looking back, it felt like another lifetime. "Well, I was no older than fifteen, and went to meet two of my closest friends, Lightning and Mekkano... those were their codes names, of course. We had n oath of secrecy..... but that wouldn't come until much later down the road..."

She paused, and something akin to a wry smile flickered in her eyes. "Ah, but I ramble. Let's go in order... you see, that day I was really upset with Lightning and Mekkano. I wanted to talk their ears off! I knew that they and our others common friends - who were not from high society, and that's why I preferred to hang out with them - didn't think the world of LuxCo. There hd been some... I guess you could say subversive talks, but we were teenagers, angry and rebellious, so it didn't really strike me as odd - not until a business dinner with my bio-sire's colleagues from the Board of Governors, when I first heard the head of security speak of a 'criminal organization known as Defiant Citizen'. I knew that was the name Lightning and Mekkano had come up with, and I was terrified that they were going to get themselves arrested."

"So anyway, I went to see them, and told them what had happened at the dinner and that I was not going to turn a blind eye on it if they decided to become criminals. And they..." Her soft gaze behind the mask turned distant, as if looking right through the years at the memories she was evoking. "... they said I had been unknowingly turning a blind eye on far worse. They brought me evidence - rock-solid, unmistakeable, unquestionable - of many of LuxCo's illicit deeds. The company's core was corrupt, the law often acted just as a covert to greenlight personal gains and cruel experiments, people everywhere under LuxCo's jurisdiction were _arrested_", her voice now quivered slightly, as if refraining from the wish to add more, "simply for expressing their dissent... and in all that, non-organic slavery - the enslavement of sentient and sapient robots and droids, or robots who _may_ become sentient - was rampaging like a plague."

Her shoulders had begun to shake just so slightly as the old, familiar indignation threatened to overwhelm her. But, with great effort, she mantained her calm and went on; "That's the time when I found out that I shared the same blood and genes of corrupt leeches who thought money could justify and buy everything. And when I also found out that apart from blood and genes, I wanted to share nothing with them, and bring them down for all their wrongs."
rolled 1d20 and got a natural 13.

Note: Trying...

Joot (played by Jooters)

"Hm... I don't think I've ever had a situation like that... Usually when I'm up late I am doing something fun!"
Cree Kitson (played anonymously)

_Skylark_ wrote:
19. A time when your character indulged in their guilty pleasure.

"I once decided to have an impromptu karaoke session in my room when no one to was watching, rather than doing something actually useful."
rolled 1d20 and got a natural 19.

Note: Please don't make me regret this, RNG.

Hello again, dice! Let's see what story I'm telling today...

Acting as a mentor or role model isn't exactly my strong suit. Don't get me wrong, one of the relatively few ways I like interacting with people I don't already trust for an extended period of time is teaching scientific and magical theory, the moment when they realize that it's not actually that difficult is satisfying, but being a mentor is more commitment than spending an afternoon helping someone wrap their head around the basics of thermodynamics or thaumic resonance or whatever. I'm also self aware enough to know that being a thrill-seeker and a role model aren't things that should really go together. That's generally called being a bad influence, so I just choose not to be an influence.

I've done a bit of the mentor or role model thing in the RPs I'm in, mostly to get people to pull themselves together in do or die situations, but there is one where I'm actually kinda training someone. We'll, uh, we'll see how she turns out.

To actually answer the question and stop stalling for time to remember an answer, I guess I helped my friend Sox actually let her adventurous side come to the fore. She had the spirit and energy already, but was a little too focused on figuring out how to be a good team player wherever she was to try things for herself, take the lead, or even really contribute to whatever she was working on to her full potential. I guess she just needed the right kind of bad influence to let her learn to flaunt her strengths.
rolled 1d20 and got a natural 16.
_Skylark_ Topic Starter

((Might as well give it a whirl! Let's see what the dice says... I'll use a picker wheel for my character too as usual ☺️))
rolled 1d20 and got a natural 15.

Note: Thank you to everyone who's taken part so far!

Patchouli Knowledge (played by FictionDragonborn)

Let's give this one a try...

I hold my own against genocidal gods that wanted to end the multiverse, and even restrained Marisa Kirisame.
rolled 4d8 and got a natural 9.
2 1 2 4
Hikari Saito (played by Reithesniper)

My Presious Slug loving Boyo :3

Hikari looks around, before explaining his flushed face "Oh, yes I forgot!" He smiled "I have gotten that anxious durring a small war, I heard a rumor that Sunagakure was utterly destroyed.. it was a few days before I learned the Nayuta and Sunagakure was alright.."

"Its a little silly for only a small time war, I guess I care for them more than I thought-"
Let's see...

I held my own against Izanami.
rolled 8d2 and got a natural 9.
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2
Ryota Zen'in (played by SoulHeart57)

"HMMM. What have I done?"

(WIP)
rolled 1d20 and got a natural 4.
Vardarianna (played by Dawnia)

Quote:
11. A time when your character's ego or stubbornness got them into trouble.

"That would be when I faced off with both of my parents over their choice of who would be the heir of the kingdom. I tried arguing that the Numenorean law should hold true for the reunited kingdom in exile and the eldest be heir, but they were adamant that my little brother Eldarion, despite being 2nd-born, would be the heir simply by being born a male.

I was in trouble for my disrespectful demeanor, but once I cooled off some, we had a big discussion, and I convinced my father that I could administer the northern kingdom of Arnor for him. My father and mother both added in unison after I paused, 'and for your brother'. I let out a subdued huff through my nose and feigned an affirmative nod.

In the long run, I think I fared pretty good. It meant I would be moving out of the royal palace of Minas Tirith and would oversee the rebuilding efforts of the cities of Annuminas and Fornost Erain, and the northern palace on Lake Evendim. So despite the trouble my stubbornness got me into, it was a calculated ploy on my part.
rolled 1d20 and got a natural 11.

Note: What is the Question?

1. A time when your character acted out of envy...

"So, I used to live in this town called Teal Cove. I went to the other high school on the poorer side of town, but my dad became an insurance agent when I started high school. By the end of high school, things were good and he saved up money so I could go to college and we moved to the nicer side of town. The old man joined the local country club and I met some cheerleaders from the rival high school. Their captain was gonna set me up with her best friend, but I had to spy on two of the girls on her squad. I really dug her, ya know? She was pretty and I really wanted to be her boyfriend. After always living on the bad end of town, I wanted to fit in with the rich kids. Anyway, these two younger girls on the cheer squad... They were in a rock band with some dweebs she didn't like and playing D&D. You know? Dungeons and Dragons. I was jealous of all of them, and I let it get the best of me and I stormed out of a D&D game I got invited to and some stuff happened. Let's say I got mixed up with the wrong people and these two cheerleaders I was spying on and their friends stumbled into some stuff they shouldn't have seen. Anyway, I went to jail and they got held hostage on an abandoned farm. It really ruined my life because the people were boosting cars and I initially got hit with charges for kidnapping on top of that. The old man worked it out mostly, but I didn't get to go to college and had to move a pretty good ways away and start over. I guess it doesn't pay to be jealous or act on envy."
rolled 1d20 and got a natural 1.

Note: Question

You are on: Forums » Forum Games » Tell us about a time when... (IC or OOC)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus