Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2024 » Epic Week 2024 Chat

One of my characters was actually partly inspired by the tall underground princess, but I completely messed up what I was even trying to achieve with her.
Dragonfire Moderator

Alright, that's a bunch of grenades circulating.
Dragonfire Moderator

(Please be careful while walking around.)
Indeed! ^^;
I wasn't sure where to post this, but since this is the general 2023 Epic Week Chat and my question pretty much concerns Epic Week specifically, I thought this was probably the best. If not, I apologize, and would happily be pointed at a better forum or thread.

I have a question on something that's been on my mind sine Epic Week kicked off--for the art contests, why isn't image manipulation allowed? I mean, taking bits and smooshing them together this way and that until they're something new is just as creative an endeavor as using pencils. It's a matter of tools used to achieve the vision. The tools still require skill and creativity. I get why no AI, no doll makers, all those things where finished works are just handed to someone--those being disallowed make sense. But image manipulation doesn't, to me. Again, it's just as creative and needs just as much skill as any other form of artistic endeavor.
Aalto is the good deal again.
Claine Moderator

@Thylonicus You might want to DM Kim directly, there's a chance she won't see your message and she's the only one who can answer that
@Claine Ah, fair. I thought it might be up for general discussion, but I'll message her directly.
Thylonicus wrote:
I wasn't sure where to post this, but since this is the general 2023 Epic Week Chat and my question pretty much concerns Epic Week specifically, I thought this was probably the best. If not, I apologize, and would happily be pointed at a better forum or thread.

I have a question on something that's been on my mind sine Epic Week kicked off--for the art contests, why isn't image manipulation allowed? I mean, taking bits and smooshing them together this way and that until they're something new is just as creative an endeavor as using pencils. It's a matter of tools used to achieve the vision. The tools still require skill and creativity. I get why no AI, no doll makers, all those things where finished works are just handed to someone--those being disallowed make sense. But image manipulation doesn't, to me. Again, it's just as creative and needs just as much skill as any other form of artistic endeavor.

It goes beyond even that. A few years ago, I was inspired to draw a person I had actually seen, and I was told I would have to make sure I didn't try to draw him as closely as I could remember, which resulted in things like outfit changes. Otherwise relying too much on any one or very small number of references is also not allowed. There's a lot of licensing quirks that go into things, and they want something fully unique that doesn't have any of that stuff attached.

But yeah, you'll likely get a more clear and precise answer from Kim directly.
Well, true, and that case makes some sense as well, but there are a lot of free stock sources from which to pick. Licenses and trademarks and all that can be difficult, sure, but there are plenty of sources that don't have those as barriers.
Those actually do still have licenses! It's just standard to not bother grabbing them since it's not expected to be needed. The license is what declares it to be free to use!
Well, yes, but I thought it was clear what I meant.
And it'd be a pain to have to track all that stuff for things like making sure she's allowed to put the image on a tote bag (commercial purposes), for example, which usually is not permitted by those free licenses, or only with extra hoops to jump through.
That's not a bad point, actually. Maybe a sub-clause could be added that all those licenses had to be provided with the submission, lest it be discounted. No sense in making extra work for someone else besides the creator.
Dragonfire Moderator

Not to mention things about however-many impressions an image used for commercial-esque purposes can have. Using work that is not entirely your own can get very complicated, very quickly. Definitely DM Kim about it; she'll let you know the reasoning behind it.
I already did. She's also busy with--everything--so I don't really expect a reply any time soon, and wouldn't want her to stop dealing with everything for it, anyway. :)
Dragonfire Moderator

She's usually pretty happy to pass around information like that! But, yes, it might not be timely, exactly. I hope she's getting the sleep she shorted herself on last night, hahah.
Indeed, I should also be getting to sleep pretty soon, it's late.
Dragonfire Moderator

I can't go until my dang cakes cool off enough for me to wrap them, augh.

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2024 » Epic Week 2024 Chat

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus