Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Character Art Origins?

Dragonfire Moderator

Why would using Audrey Hepburn as a PB be any different than a more modern face, Trinfan? It's quite possible that it would be hard for J Random Somebody to see her as anybody other than Holly Golightly, for example. :)

If, for some reason, you absolutely must have a real face to go along with your character, and you find that What's-Her-Face from one of the Bachelor seasons matches what you're looking for, well, no reason not to go for it.

Of course, I don't watch much TV, myself, or much media at all, so I don't identify most people as being certain 'roles'. I mostly just don't like PBs because of the sort-of built-in squick factor, for me, of stealing someone's image. I feel less bad about this when using anime/comic/video game-styled characters, because they're not alive or real in any sense. (Then it's just into the other barrel of worms of whether it's right or not to take someone's work and morph it into something that they never intended it to be, but...)

But as I mentioned up-thread, I tend to shy away games that require such things in the first place, and the only pictures I'll use of a character are generally those times that I've commissioned someone to draw something. :3
I don't compare them to characters, but to the actual actors, and if I have to sit there comparing A's character to someone, I'd rather it be someone I actually like, that's all. I'm not fond of photos, period, and the only time I use them is when they're pictures of myself. Don't ask. >.>

Still, not everyone can draw, not everyone has money, and I can understand why people use them.

Either way, written descriptions for the win. ^^
I do my own art because I figure only I can truly get a proper feel for how my character should look and what sort of persona they should convey in images. Not to mention it's next to impossible to find images that come close to looking like my character and I don't have the money to commission others to do pictures for me. I'm already an illustrator by trade, so why not do my own character artwork?

Sometimes people do fan/gift art for me, and I appreciate it, but I never use it as my primary depictions of my characters.

I can understand people using pre-existing pictures if they themselves can't draw or can't afford to commission others. When you're trying to get people to picture your character it's that much easier to give them an idea of what they look like if you have some sort of visual reference, even if it isn't exactly right, to go with the text description.
There's always image edits, which can be hard or easy depending on how you do them and what program you use. I occasionally do them for free. Mostly for friends, though, because I do them in MSPaint. ^^;

Plus pixel dolling, which I also do in MSPaint but are far less consuming than edits, so I'm willing to do them for just about anyone woh asks.
I usally do my own art, but I like to reqest people to do my characters sometimes.
Although I draw a ref for them.
I prefer making my own art when it comes to characters. If anything, it's good practice and kills time when you're bored in classes or at work when there's a two hour lull between customers.

As for a D.A. page... meh. :/
Kim wrote:
I make most of my own, although recently I've joined an art exchange group where every month we are assigned someone else's character to draw, and someone else is assigned yours. But you never know who until the end of the month when you get a pretty pretty pic. I adore it! It is incredibly exciting and fun to give and receive. Plus it forces me to make at least a little time to stop coding and actually do art now and again, which can be refreshing. ;)

I do use an old pic out of a D&D manual just for reference for my illithid character. I've always intended to draw it some custom art, just never quite found the time yet.

Lately I've been on a face kick, where I am trying to draw as many faces as possible just for my own study. I've done a number of the characters on the repository, actually, since there's a huge range of characters to be inspired by for art here, and hope to do some more in the future. So maybe a few lucky souls will get some random gift art in the coming weeks. :) Other than that, I occasionally offer commissions to RPers, but right now I am way overbooked.

I have more than one deviantart accounts to divide up my fun personal work/minor commissions from my more professional work, but the one that the RP related stuff usually ends up on is Riverthorne
What group is that? Is it on DeviantART? I DEMAND ANSWERS.

...or cheesecake. I could do with either.
Kim Site Admin

Andryn wrote:

BEHOLD

They're in a long round right now that's going to last through February, but that gives you more than a month to apply and get approved.
Kim wrote:
Andryn wrote:

BEHOLD

They're in a long round right now that's going to last through February, but that gives you more than a month to apply and get approved.
Yay! Ness. ...icity.
I mostly do my own, but I also commission people to do art for me from Gaiaonline or from Deviantart. <3.
I love seeing other artists personal styles of my OCs.
Aha... I draw my characters, and sometimes find that doing a collage of sketches help me figure out his past, habits, features, etc. I once left a sketch mark on a character's face and didn't realize it for a while. When I did, I was like "oh mai. I think he could definitely have that scar. *begins writing up background*" That's not typical, though.

In short, yes - love drawing my characters. Mostly to improve. I'd commission more oft, but I realized I'm really bad at providing a good and compelling description. I need to draw my main character from my books more because everytime I commission or get gift art of him, save for a few, it doesn't capture him.

My gallery's a secret until I decide if I'm staying here for the longterm or not. :P
I do my own, and commission other people, or ask friends to draw my characters. x3.

I NEVER use pre-made images.
I draw all my own. Sometimes I'll even draw, and I'll like it so much that I'll make a character out of it. Heh
For the most part I draw my own when I'm not frustrated with my style, but on occasion someone will out of the blue say "Lolhai I drew your character <3" and I go "<3 <3 <3 <3" for all eternity 'cause that's so nice of 'em!

Uh, anyway, I don't use it anymore, but I did have a dA account: DGexe, if you want to go lookin' for it. I'm not sure what state it's in now...
I commissions the bahjeebus out of artists for art. Okay, maybe not that much. I see it as supporting talented artists and getting artwork out of it as well. One of my longest played character has seen many different styles and personal touches from numerous artists. I see it as my own little digital art collection.
I draw a lot of my own character art, and sketching is definitely one of the main ways I get to 'know' a new character; the rest of it is often gifts from a few of my close friends, many of whom are also artists! In kind, I like to hand out gift art, too, both to friends and to people I've never met before. Because all of my characters have a strong signature silhouette and ridiculous clothes or just-so facial structures, I wouldn't even dream of trying to use art that wasn't meant for them as a reference, even if I didn't already have a strong aversion to the concept simply by way of being an artist, myself.

I don't have an actual gallery anywhere that I still update. I used to be known on DeviantART as ClockworkWizard before I decided to pack up and leave the dA scene. None of my pieces are still up there--however, if you browse my characters (and some of the others around on the site!), you'll find a lot of the stuff I've done.
I draw all my own stuff. And stuff of every character my character interacts with on a daily basis. It, uh, invades my college work.

I really like it when I get a piece or two of my character from a friend, though; I enjoy seeing how other people envision my characters, even if I have a very specific image of them in my mind already.
SeraphicStar

Where does my character art come from? It doesn't! I don't bug people for free art, I don't buy art, I don't draw. Well, except for Stickelf Bald Sitta With Sunglasses on an Elephant. XD
Sanne Moderator

It bothers me when people use the artwork from other people('s characters). :/

When I draw an image for a commissioner, I draw their character. Often it's a unique character with a special combination of features, whether that's jewelery, clothing, markings or even hairstyles. I drew it for that person only, not to have some random kid go "OMG that looks neat!!" and then using it to be like "Lol this is what my character looks like."

Unless it's stock photography where you point out "Okay, my char has this kind of hair, but in this picture they have the proper body build and here, this is what their eyes look like" etc., because especially Deviantart stock photos are often used to reference artwork, to photomanipulate or even design with, so that's fine.

All of my art is either commissioned, premade, photostock or drawn by me, and it's my belief that everyone should be doing it that way.

STAY AWAY FROM ART THEFT KIDS!!
Yuka

My character's art is generally either drawn by me, or commissioned off other people. I generally have one ref/concept sheet which uses stock photos to show build/hair/skin etc.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Character Art Origins?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus