Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Possible Genres?

Kim Site Admin

I'm developing a standard set of tags that can be associated with characters, groups and topics, to help make searching for RP easier. Yes, you'll be able to enter your own custom tags, but having a standardized set will help to eliminate missed connections such as searching for "steam punk" not finding characters tagged with "steampunk" (no space.) I'm sure you can imagine a million other small changes, or people who use different words to mean the same thing, preventing people from finding who they're really looking for.

So, what tags would you use and search for most often?

So far I'm thinking these are good starting candidates:
  • Fantasy
  • Science Fiction
  • Historical
  • Apocalypse
  • Fandom
  • Romance
  • Paragraph
  • Semi-paragraph
  • Casual/short scenes
  • Long term story arcs
  • Freeform
  • Strict system
  • Horror
  • Low/No magic
  • Low/No tech
  • Open to more players (forum/group)
  • Looking for RP (character)
Darth_Angelus Moderator

How many tags can each character have at once?

You might want to include Modern on that list too.
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

I had no limit in mind. I don't really see why someone couldn't just check all of them, aside from the possible inaccurate queries they might subsequently receive.
Sanne Moderator

• Canon - it's a widely used term for people who tend to play existing characters from a fandom, but isn't actually defined as just fandom by most players
  • Drama
  • Fight scenes
  • Dice use
  • No dice use
  • Short term story arcs
  • Alternate Universe - used mostly by players who have created worlds of their own
I would add 'realistic' perhaps instead of a 'no magic' one. Realistic seems to work better, in my opinion at least.

I really like this idea though! It would totally help me find characters to RP with instead of me having to put up a 'searching for RP' thread xD
Claine Moderator

Also, to counter 'no magic' I would like one that says 'magic'. It's very common to have magic in a usually non-magic setting, such as modern day or historical ones.
TheLily

Man, this is awesome, and I wish my brain were letting me know genres. I'm a touch tired at the moment, but I'm sure I'll think of something.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

• Special Powers (for when magic doesn't quite fit, like Jedi/Sith characters or superheroes)
  • Steampunk
  • No Fight Scenes
  • No Romance
TheLily

No mature subject matter - for people who like to keep it completely G rated. Fluffy bunnies and the like.
For between "Dice" and "No Dice" what about.... 'casual dice'? For those of us who sometimes use it but don't go around playing as if our freeform is a tabletop game (in other words, we don't heavily use dice but sometimes might)?

... or am I getting too specific now and shouldn't fuss over it too much?

Here's a couple for the list then:
  • Anthromorphic/Furre
  • Non-Anthromorphic/Furre

Because some people like to play as & with furres, and some don't. *shrugs*
I'd like to see medieval time settings, I usually just hit fantasy but, fantasy can really take place in any time setting, but like to rp in my 'own' world and my characters are set in a no technology setting :)

but i definitely like the 'looking for rp' one! that would save us all a lot of time i think >>
Magic Girl

Adventure/Quest

Shonen

Shojo

Mutant

War

AU (Alternate Universe)

Game Mechanics Involved

Themed (As in takes place in certain setting or world, Like Pokemon or Skyrim)

Long Term

Short Term

One Shot

More Shot

One x One

Um... this is all I can really think of at the moment.
Adding to the pile again, i think D&D, Vampire the Masquerade, Call of Cthulhu, and the like would also be good genres.
  • Mature / Adult
  • OC / Original Character
  • Medieval
  • Historically Accurate (not sure how you'd say this but there are some history buffs out there that prefer their characters to realistically follow certain eras.)

Really, that is the only thing I can think of for a sort of genre or group. Everything else has been pretty well covered.
Drayle88 wrote:
Adding to the pile again, i think D&D, Vampire the Masquerade, Call of Cthulhu, and the like would also be good genres.

Those are actual games, which I think some are already in the system. Kim is looking for genres / themes when it comes to roleplaying. A theme for D&D might be dice system, fantasy, magic, or Vampire the Masquerade, dark, adult, gothic, supernatural.

As an example: D&D http://www.rprepository.com/search.php?search=D%26D&type=ingame
How about Surreal and MAD SCIENCE !!! ? (Preferably with the exclamation points.)
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Interesting. It sounds like a lot of these suggestions are oppositions. I wonder if some of these would work better with sliders than they would with simple check boxes. For example, No Magic to High Magic.

That might simplify the UI in some ways, and let people get a bit more specific. It does have major design implications though. I MUST PONDER DEEPLY.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

If you're going to do slider bars like that, maybe alignment would be another one to add?
I love, love, LOVE the idea of genres! Would make my life on RPR even better than it already is!
Sanne Moderator

Kim wrote:
That might simplify the UI in some ways, and let people get a bit more specific. It does have major design implications though. I MUST PONDER DEEPLY.

I also just thought of the horror of sliders for people on mobile devices. Maybe add arrows that you can click/tap to make the bar slide if you do implement a slider.

Magic:
< No Magic / Low Magic / High Magic / Only Magic >

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Possible Genres?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus