Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » We Unlucky Few | CLOSED

Verlin Calder (played by koroni) Topic Starter

Ver shifted on the spot and turned back to the fire. He himself had stories to share, many of them, but it was difficult to tell how he stacked up against these others - he was hesitant to tell a story should it be considered tame. The overwhelming foes discussed by the Hanged Man (and Brolin, he conceded) were unlike almost anything he'd had to face. For the first time in a while, Ver felt like he wasn't the most well-travelled in a room.
"Perhaps someone should accompany her," Ver suggested with a nod after Carabia's path. Immediately afterwards, he broke into a yawn.
Phoenixheart Hiro (played by Gab)

Phoenixheart, having been lost in the thoughts of her own past, grew quiet again as she absentmindedly listened to the conversation. Even for someone of her age, she still had her own story to tell, though she didn't think it would measure up to the story that the Hanged Man had told. She didn't seem to notice when Carabia had made her way up the stairs, though she did hear what room that Cara would be in. She was pulled out of her thoughts with a jolt when Ver suggested that someone accompany Carabia to the room. Feeling her own exhaustion starting to take over, she decided that she should also go and get some sleep and suggested to go herself. She picked up her bag, having already put all the items back in it and started up the stairs to the room but not before quietly bidding everyone a good night. Once in the room, not bothering to change into her pajamas, she walked past Carabia and Dembala and flopped onto one of the beds in the room and was asleep within a few minutes.
The Hanged Man (played anonymously)

The Hanged Man bade Carabia and Nix goodnight as they made their way up to their room. He finished off the little dinner he had prepared for himself, but there was still food left over. Reluctantly he stopped himself before drinking too much of the mead in the bottle. "Master Brolin, if you did not sup when you were in town, you are welcome to what we have here."

White wings flashed as the crow fluttered up to perch on the back of a chair. The Hanged Man glowered at it, but reluctantly cut some pepper ham and scraps of bread and cheese for it. Croaking happily, the bird began to peck at its own meal.

"You three should sleep soon, too," the Hanged Man said.
Brolin (played anonymously)

Brolin nodded a thanks to Hangman's offer of food but chose not to go after it. He had filled himself with more than enough in his exploration of the Barracks.

"Phoenix was it?" He called out as the quiet girl passed him. "Don' be afraid t' raise alarm should sumfin' not seem roight." Said reassuringly, followed with a guttural grunt as he pushed himself up to a standing position and crossing the room to join Ay, Ver and Hangy by the fire.

"Ver, I couldn' find trace of struggle or otherwise out there. Candles an' water set to boil as if any moment they were comin' back." He whispered, not wanting his concerns to follow the younger women as they departed.

"Live stock as well, I mean not a single breathin' soul aside from his crows... what t' Christ are we up against?"
Aybilla bade Carabia and Pheonix both goodnight as they went up the stairs, made another quick trip to the table for a cut of ham and more honey on her bread, raising an eyebrow at the supping bird, then took her place again by the fire. She had no interest in going to bed yet, but she knew where to find the other girls whenever she did become interested.

She finished off her food, listening to Brolin's whispers to Ver. She stared into the fireplace, letting it all sink in. For one thing, all cleaned up Brolin wasn't nearly as intimidating. He appeared a little bit smaller, and without the drunkenness his accent was a little endearing again. Having proper nourishment in her probably effected that as well. For the other thing, there was not much to go on today, Brolin's account troubled her. She said as much.

"There have been precious little clues today. A number of strange occurrences, but no hints about what has transpired or how to rectify it." She voiced, taking another sip from her waterskin. She kept her gaze on the fire, growing more solemn.

Ver just nodded at the Hanged Man. He turned when Brolin spoke, then to Aya. He nodded solemnly and whispered, "That's just the thing. We've got nothing to go on. If we don't run into anything useful by the time we reach my shop, we don't even have anywhere to go. The-" He looked like he was about to add something else, but fell silent at a distant sound: That shuddering howl, like the scream of a wounded soul. Somewhere, even further away, a second responded to it.
Ver's stance tensed, but not much more. "... Perhaps it would be best if we searched after the source of that. Come daylight..."

The Hanged Man let out a long sigh through his nose and steepled his fingers in front of him. Green eyes didn't seem to catch much of the firelight and remained dark hollows. "T'is what I have seen as well," he replied to Brolin. He might have offered something more, but the scream stopped him dead. A grimace crossed his features. "... aye. But if we do not have the means of dealing with the source of such a--such a noise, will it spell our demise? We should attempt to prepare ourselves."

Brolin benefitted from Ver and Ay's offering of what little they knew to bring him up to speed. He was in the middle of addressing the other three when the series of howls drifted through the night. The shirtless drifter visibly tensed up until the sounds had passed.

He'd look to Hangman's concerned visage for answers. "Aye, I secon' that.." Then to Ver and Ay. "Perhaps we should roust Cara and Nyx, bring 'em down here t' sleep." He'd whisper, eyes looking more heavily to Aybilla for the task. "If we're forced t' make a last stand I'd rather not do it from th' second floor."

Refusing to remain seated any longer, Brolin crossed the common room to retrieve his coverings. First, a simple black tunic thrown over his chest and tucked tightly in to his trousers. His choice of armor came next, a thick buckled leather coat thrown over his wirey frame and secured tightly. Pieces of gambeson fixed in separate plating on the interior lining gave mild protection to his kidneys, sides and lower intestine.

Before he buckled it shut, it was made clear Brolin had armed himself to his own liking- a larger cumberson flintlock pistol snuggled and holstered to the right interior of his coat. A second similar pistol with a shorter, modified barrel hung with convenience on the left- amongst curious satchels and flask-shaped clay containers corked and tied off tightly with linen and rope to prevent spillage.

"I've got a terribly bad feelin' abou' all this." He'd remark, peeking out of the front window while leaning against the shut door- as if Brollies meager weight would be enough to bar entry.

Ver stood up, stretched his arms. "How can we prepare for something we don't know about, Hanged Man? Again, my shop is at your disposal, but..."
At Brolin's suggestion, Ver looked distraught, but for no other reason that he was just really looking forward to sleeping in a proper bed. He was hoping they wouldn't be troubled by the things until morning - how would the source of the sounds find them in this specific town, in this specific inn? But if did come to a battle, the crowded halls of a wooden building weren't exactly ideal for a pyromancer. He bit his lip and stayed quiet, picking his sword belt and sheath from the ground.
Aybilla started at the screeching howls. They were sunch an ungodly sound!

"I'm not so sure I want to find out what is making those sounds, especially after the ones heard earlier. But what else have we to go on?"

She considered Brolin's suggestion that they all sleep on the same floor, and Crow's about being prepared. "It's not a bad idea to all stay together. As much as a bed two nights in a row was sitting well with me. Considering preparation..." she calculated her strength and what use she could be.

"It would be nice if we could establish some sort of defensive barrier, and sadly not knowing what exactly we are up against I am no help in that department. But assuming they do get close enough to try an attack, I have a sanctuary spell I could cast on every member of our party. It prevents suffering from attacks, but also prevents dealing attacks. It would give us a chance to either prepare, or flee. It's not much but it's what I can offer until morning." Morning when she would need to pray. Hopefully they could hold out. Aybilla hardly looked up from the fire as she thought and spoke, just giving occassional glances to the others. "If we are keeping a good watch, unless these things are invisible we could allow ourselves some rest. We'll need it I'm sure."

The Hanged Man shook his head at Ver's questioning, not having a good answer for the man. He was distracted briefly by Brolin's flintlocks--the old swordsman was a relic, and while he embraced the winds of change, some things still didn't sit well with him. Finally he weighed in on the question at hand.

"I ... know not. T'is tempting to get good sleep while we still can. I can stay awake, and have the white one watch from the roof. You will, right, you little piglet?" That much was directed at the crow itself, which croaked happily, its beak covered in grease and pepper. "The sanctuary, mistress--how long would it take to cast such a spell, and how long does it last?"
"Only a moment to cast. A quick incantation and a touch. I could get it to last..." She did a little more math "...ten, maybe twelve, minutes at most. Like I said, it's not much. But if we are fast we could use it to our advantage." Her response was short. She tapped her fingertips together.

Back leaning against the door, he kept quiet when Aybilla suggested a sanctuary spell. When it came to planning their moves, he'd not let personal preference interfere with greater good.

"I'll take watch wif' ya. Not sure 'ow long I was out 'fer but I feel well rested." He'd offer Hangman, briefly looking to the bird as well. Ver's stark comments about the predicament of not knowing had him visibly worried.

"This isn't sittin' well wif' me, my lot o' scrappy compatriots." He'd exclaim agitatedly to the others. "Whateva's out there surely has t' know it left this town dry. Stands t' reason it's comin' here."

"You forget, Brolin, that even Carabia's kingdom was abandoned," Ver pointed out. It occurred to him that the fact that they, possibly the last of everyone, ending up all in one spot, was even more suspicious, but, downright tired, he didn't mention it. He picked his bag and scale jacket from the ground, holding it all in his arms. "Aya, if possible, that sounds wonderful. I'd also suggest only one of you two stand guard for the time being. Or rotate, at least. This place isn't huge and it'll be a waste of both your energy to have two guards." He bowed his head. "I'll be in the room next to the girls', if you don't mind. It'd be a shame not to take advantage of the beds. And, once again, wake me if I'm needed." With that, hoping to escape before anyone could argue, Ver turned and headed off to do as he said. As he reached the stairs, the fire dimmed but would keep burning with the firewood.
Carabia (played by Robyn)

(Still about! Leaving Cara snoozing unless something/someone wakes her, or morning comes. Whichever arrives first!)
Phoenixheart Hiro (played by Gab)

(Same here! Just kinda waiting... though I have an idea for Phoe... just waiting for the right moment to put it into action)
(Yay Cara and Phoe! Hope they are having good dreams^^)

Aya nodded somberly to Ver and bade him goodnight as he headed away. The fire dimmed noticeably and she smiled at how it reacted to him. She stood up and threw another log on the flames to keep it burning bright. Even in doing that, she was about ready to retire herself.

"Between the two of you, are you happy to decide on the watch? I am happy to take a rotation if need be as well. I'd really like to not be far in the event we are attacked, but I can be just as useful upstairs as down." she asked Brolin and Crow. Crow had seemed dtermined to take the first watch since early on so she did not dare take that from him, and she took Brolin's word about not being weary quite yet.

(Thanks for waiting, sorry we've been going so long, but we're almost ready to move on I think aaa!! ^^')

The Hanged Man scratched his scruffy chin. He didn't trust Brolin ... but what could the man do, honestly? Leave with as much as he could carry? Fine--there were plenty of supplies to go around. And he wasn't likely to manage squirreling away with their personal possessions, in the rooms as they were. And anything more nefarious ... if they were going to be traveling together, the swordsman would have to leave that to fate at some point or another. "Very well, Master Brolin," he said. "Wake me in four hours."

He shooed the white crow towards the door again. The animal was slow to move at first, croaking and nipping gently at his hands, though with a bit of persistence he finally got it to go outside. "Watch. Aye? Watch." The bird looked back at him with sharp crimson eyes, then fluttered up to perch on the roof. The Hanged Man closed and latched the front door then plodded over to gather up his belongings.
Aya gathered her belongings and with a word goodnight she went upstairs to join the girls. She found them easily, picked her place to sleep and laid down. It took a bit of time but she fell into a shallow sleep.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » We Unlucky Few | CLOSED

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus