Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » A place to RP modern characters?

IsKait Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
iskait wrote:
But I do try to follow the low/no technology rule in TGT, and try to avoid posting in the main areas to avoid disrupting others with how terribly modern I am

Terribly modern. Newfangled, even.

And whatnot XD
iskait wrote:
Dylan wrote:

And as for the werewolves? They are preferable compared to nazis and ravers and glitter whores, thank you. :P

... Ravers and glitter whores? I came back from hiatus right as the Nazi trend was coming to an end, thank goodness XD

But seriously, ravers? I've been to raves. Why the hell anyone would want to RP something that awful and smelly and annoying is beyond me :(

Well, I guess I dated myself with that one. Right at the end of TSC and the beginning of TGT there were a lot of raver styled characters, glowsticks, sparkles, glitter, that sort of thing. It's one of the fads, similar to nazis and werewolves, but thankfully doesn't come around as often.
IsKait Topic Starter

Dylan wrote:
Well, I guess I dated myself with that one. Right at the end of TSC and the beginning of TGT there were a lot of raver styled characters, glowsticks, sparkles, glitter, that sort of thing. It's one of the fads, similar to nazis and werewolves, but thankfully doesn't come around as often.

I think my least favorite thing about character fads is that, for the most part, the people playing fad characters tend to exclude everyone else, and so many people jump on that those who don't like to follow trends are left high and dry for RP. I've never been able to get into fad characters XD

and look at my, I just de-railed my own thread!
I am horribly derailing the thread again but I wanted to add this- jumping on a trend is fine as long as you have a character that works well. A loner werewolf isn't a character that is going to get many RPs - people will have to go to your character, as it would be out of your werewolf's nature to seek others. As an example, my six year old main has black fur, red hair, and big boobs. Pretty stereotypical, however a stereotype she may be she has background and she has evolved over the years as any good character should.
OKAY END OF DERAILING. And I'm a person who normally hates that sort of thing.

As I said before, the best might be to take a group and bring them to a modern dream and try to populate and add to the dreams story line.
IsKait Topic Starter

Dylan wrote:
I am horribly derailing the thread again but I wanted to add this- jumping on a trend is fine as long as you have a character that works well. A loner werewolf isn't a character that is going to get many RPs - people will have to go to your character, as it would be out of your werewolf's nature to seek others. As an example, my six year old main has black fur, red hair, and big boobs. Pretty stereotypical, however a stereotype she may be she has background and she has evolved over the years as any good character should.
OKAY END OF DERAILING. And I'm a person who normally hates that sort of thing.

As I said before, the best might be to take a group and bring them to a modern dream and try to populate and add to the dreams story line.

I should clarify XD I agree, there is nothing at all wrong with jumping on a trend. I've just never really been interested in jumping on any of them ^o^ If pothead gingers suddenly became a trend, I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a Smartie :D
iskait wrote:
I've noticed lately that there seems to be a significant lack of places that are friendly for modern characters to exist. There IS TBC/Amberwood City (in Furcadia), but it seems like not a lot of people RP there. TGT is popular, but it's a low technology dream, and the time setting isn't exactly modern. The staff and patrons don't exactly go out of their way to ostracize modern characters (and I'm not trying to imply that they do at all, especially not the staff who seem to be very tolerant of modern characters :3)

Uhhh... I guess the point I'm trying to get to is, do you have a modern character or characters? Do you wish there was somewhere for them to be RP'd in peace? What's your take on modern characters? Like 'em, dislike 'em?

I am not very good at starting discussions, but the point here is to possibly try to stimulate RP among more modern characters, and get a feel for what people think about them. What with most of the only other modern characters in TGT being (mostly) poorly played werewolves*, it's a bit of a crap chute to find diverse RP!

*disclaimer: I don't think all the werewolf characters are poorly played, and I am not using any names. A certain player with a werewolf character put up a list of all the weres in TGT... there is around 140 of them. There is pretty much a plague of werewolves XD

My werewolf list is a lot longer than that xD At least 200.
But I agree. I wish Amberwood were more popular so I could play Stell modern a little more. I have had fun playing her in a medieval setting, no doubt, but I do wish to play her modern a bit more.

I've had my werewolf char for two years afore I came to furc XD I took the lupin approach with her. :B
Since I loved lupin so much.
I have a few modern characters. One is technically a were, but is definitely NOT a werewolf. I have more like him, but the majority of my modern chars are regular humans. I think I'm going to make a few more modern characters with what slots I have left here, since I can't buy an Epic account or extra slots...
Sanne Moderator

I don't like modern RP. It reminds me too much of my own life, the things I do that I do every day that I have my character do? IIEEEERRRRR! Error error.

It's either got to be medieval/low tech or really sci-fi futuristic OMFG HOLOGRAMS kind of stuff. But I'm either too stupid or have too many gaps in my vocabulary to be very descriptive in those kind of roleplays, so I tend to go low-tech only.
Marus (played by Warlocke)

I prefer to play low-tech fantasy setting myself. Its just a personal preference and what I have fun with. I've tried modern rps, but they really just don't grab my attention well at all. I've seen plenty of nicely done modern setting characters, and I don't see anything 'wrong' with them, its just not appealing to me.
Kim Site Admin

I didn't like modern RP until I started doing modern fantasy LARP. Then it suddenly started making sense to have the setting my character was running around in be the real world. ;) Huzzah for adults scampering around playing pretend!
Amen to that, Kim.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Kim wrote:
Huzzah for adults scampering around playing pretend!

Agreed! :D

It was disapointing to learn my closest group is on hiatus :(
Can't say I've done LARP before. Probably wouldn't have time anyway xD
Though, really, the only modern things I ever mention in my modern RPs are houses. And occasionally, TV, car, or cellphones. Other than that, nothing really. I guess that's why I didn't really have much trouble adapting Stell to TGT era.
I've found that medieval era is really starting to grab my attention for right now.
Granted, I don't have any RPs going on in TGT at the moment, but I had a few amazing ones in the past that I really enjoyed.

/endless babbling
Aearion (played anonymously)

Much like Sanne and also like Zhi, I prefer playing either low-tech (which translates to me as pre-19th or at a push, borderline Industrial Revolution... with Aear being 15th - 18th c.) or sci-fi. My first long-term alt was a deposed Stargate Atlantis wraith Commander who crash landed, which broke all of his technology so I could fit him into the Tether's technology level - his clothing was mostly leather, so he was honestly just another patron.

Modern... yeah, doing Modern history is agonising for me, I couldn't do it.
My biggest hangout is Xavier's Institute for the Gifted in Imaginarium on Furcadia. That's modern but it's set in a sci-fi sort of world. X-Men, you know? If you don't look it up now you're severely missing out.
That's where I RP all my modern characters. Otherwise I kind of just stalk Imag and pull people into whisper RPs. xD

I know there's some places in AI and Imag that are modern times that aren't X-Men sort of dreams. Maybe go dream exploring? :)
Good luck!
I haven't checked to see if anyone's mentioned it yet, but on the North coast of AI (by all the wolf rps) is a dream called City of Angels. It's, from what I've seen, a fairly modern but ordinary looking city chocked full of various entities. They pretty much have a free-for-all race and rule-wise but seem like a calm enough community (with nice people from the few I've conversed with; I was pleasantly surprise by what I saw) if you don't mind that "free-for-all" attitude.

Take what I have to say with a touch of salt grains, however! I've only seen one rp there, which a friend started up I believe, thus I'm not 100% privy to how rp functions as a whole. Still, I'm just throwing this dream out there in case anyone wants to take a look at it.
IsKait Topic Starter

Haha oh wow, so much feedback. I think I've decided to go ahead and make my own dream!

Updates on this are pending o:
Updates? o3o You making a modern dream or something?
IsKait Topic Starter

Sure am!
IsKait Topic Starter

Sanne wrote:
I don't like modern RP. It reminds me too much of my own life, the things I do that I do every day that I have my character do? IIEEEERRRRR! Error error.

It's either got to be medieval/low tech or really sci-fi futuristic OMFG HOLOGRAMS kind of stuff. But I'm either too stupid or have too many gaps in my vocabulary to be very descriptive in those kind of roleplays, so I tend to go low-tech only.

It's not boring for me... the rp's tend to be a lot more exciting than my every day life, and I don't stick strictly to realism, so there's still that hint of fantasy in my RP's... for example, Freya is fused with feline DNA, something that wouldn't be possible in the real world xD

I suppose to each their own, live and let live and the like :) As mentioned, I've decided to go ahead and make my own dream, so we'll see how it goes!

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » A place to RP modern characters?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus