Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Art Contest: Genre Mascots

I live my life on RPR. ._. Even when I should be writing research papers.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Okay, here we go!
23ijptd.png

When I read the requirements for the contest, I immediately thought of the "female bikini warrior" stereotype that lives on in pen and paper scenarios. Love it or hate it, it's a stereotype that's here to stay. It's immediately recognizable! I think she exemplifies the fantasy genre of roleplay. Maybe not the freeform that we do a lot of here, but the classic notion of roleplay--beautiful women, dangerous monsters, treacherous traps, fantastic treasures! (Sometimes treacherous treasures too.) This is a gorgeous barbarian lady that you can probably find on the cover of a million silly novels, but she definitely isn't someone to trifle with and she can hold her own. She has become an archetype.

I was also inspired by Conan the barbarian and the work of Frank Frazetta, who basically defined the modern image of a barbarian warrior. Fantasy novel covers will never be the same. ;P However, most bikini warriors are actually quite waifish in appearance yet with large cup sizes (probably because they're drawn by men who aren't fond of muscular women--the ones who are, well, that's pretty popular too >_>). I wanted to give mine a realistic build for a woman warrior with a buttload of upper body strength, yet remaining attractive. I also wanted to add a bit of Amazonian flair, so I made her blonde with blue eyes. (Somehow that's Amazonian to me. I don't know why.)
Darth_Angelus Moderator

She is really impressive Heimdall! How long did she take to draw?
Who dang, Heim, that's friggen amazing, and a wonderful example of a barbarian warrior lady! :D I like!
Ilmarinen Moderator

Thanks guys! :smooch smooch:

Darth: Not really sure. I am really bad at timing myself. XD But no more than a few hours. Unlike most of my work, the image size I posted is the actual filesize, which sped things up very much.
A bit late: I adore the colouring and shading, Heim! It turned out awesomely wonderful! :D

Also a bit late:
I finally decided upon the concept and genre for my entry. After having tried a floating modern fantasy guy and a sci-fi gunslinger chick, I've permanently settled for Historical, Roman. XD Hopefully I'll be able to finish this before Monday.

RPRMASCOTCONTEST3.jpg
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

I never would have thought of Roman, but it is brilliant!
Kim wrote:
I never would have thought of Roman, but it is brilliant!

Thank you! :D

Finished the lines and the midtones. I made it rather difficult on myself with the feet and the letters on the banner. Gah. XD Anyway... still racing against the clock. [Edit: That means I'm not finished yet. XD I still need to do the shading.]
RPRMASCOTCONTEST3b.png
Looks totally awesome! Great job! :D
Darth_Angelus Moderator

That's very impressive!

I'm glad I don't have to decide the winner :D

Kim, please don't ask me to judge ;)
Ilmarinen Moderator

Hot dang, that is so creative and hella awesome! :D
Thanks all! <3 :D

I'm considering this finished now, as I'm nearing my bedtime. XD
RPRMASCOTCONTEST3c.png
Darth_Angelus Moderator

I should have said it earlier, RPR on the flag is a nice touch. :)
darth_angelus wrote:
I should have said it earlier, RPR on the flag is a nice touch. :)

Agreed!
Uhm.
So, I kind of started up for 4 different entries (hurr durr) and now it's crunch time (due date?) and I don't know which one I should finish to submit.
So, opinions. I need them.
This one is for Anthro, This one is for Creatures, This one is for Superheroes, and This one is for Fantasy.

What do, RPR?
Literaphobia wrote:
Uhm.
So, I kind of started up for 4 different entries (hurr durr) and now it's crunch time (due date?) and I don't know which one I should finish to submit.
So, opinions. I need them.
This one is for Anthro, This one is for Creatures, This one is for Superheroes, and This one is for Fantasy.

What do, RPR?

Ooooh, that fantasy one looks really good! Just sayin'. x)
I think those last two look cool :D
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Wowzers! It looks like a lot of us here at the RPR do our best work under pressure. ;)

I'll be working until late tonight, so you have many hours yet Literaphobia. All of your ideas look amazing!

And Ethelle: Wow!
superhero.png
Decided to finish the superhero one for a superhero/sci-fi kind of character, since no one did one of those yet.
There are some really nice entries here, wow. x_x Ethelle and Heimdall, you two did a fantastic job.

...Should I work on finishing another one? There don't seem to be a whole lot of entries.
love it!!

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Art Contest: Genre Mascots

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus