Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Character Deaths

Darth_Angelus Moderator

Has anyone killed off one of their characters? I don't mean just decided not to play them anymore, but given them an actual death.

While I didn't act it out in an RP, I did figure out how I wanted one character to die, it ties in with his backstory but I made sure there's still plenty of areas where I can still RP as him at earlier stages of his life.
I've killed off a few actually.

Satomi is one who died fully in the past, but in the current storyline she is reincarnated in the future.
Makoto who was my character Andre's little brother I killed off permanently.

A few of my other characters I've done things like you've described in the sense of such.

Otherwise, since a lot of my characters are in a fantasy-based setting, a couple have been killed once or twice, but managed to be revived somehow later. I've also killed off my character one time as a way to drop an rp in an interesting way. Ha ha. pretty horrible but it made it memorable and epic.

...Though I don't think I've ever had a character die from age. Hm.
Sanne Moderator

I don't kill off my characters.

Mostly because I'm the kind of gamer who keeps doing sidequest after sidequest because she doesn't want to go into the finale and finish the game. :P

I don't like RPing chars in the past for some reason... It's no real fun to me. I flesh out character backstories in my head for most part and write a separate story if need be. My progress always goes forward with a character's storyline, not so much backward.

In all my alts, I also have a lot of time and often money invested for character art. It feels like such a waste not to be able to do anything with them anymore. :( It's not so much avoiding death for god-mode purposes than that I like my chars too much XD
Aearion (played anonymously)

Pulchra did actually die, but she came back thanks to her mate, Vethos (rped by Zhi). Marcus Calidus, Archwizard of Rome, was killed by her in the process - he was only created to act as an antagonist however. Romain was ICly killed by Zhi's OC, Khaun, but it was part of the storyline so then the Dread Creature possessing him could take another host body that I felt more like RPing (plus the idea of a genderless life-sucking monster having hot tits was laughable). Another one of my characters, Drest, is back in his home world. However due to the fact that some of my alts are on later timelines than him, I have made a mention where relevant of his 'death', as he was the first Cleric to die at the hands of the incoming Christian converters. Burn to death at the stake with his magic restrained, toasty.
Rhyodn (played anonymously)

I wouldn't want to take the fun out of it by planning it ahead, unless it's a group-plan and thus actually involves other characters and not NPCs running wild in my mind.

But otherwise, I just assume it won't be old age, and will be a horrible, terrible, and extremely painful death. His whole life is out of order as it is, as I play in a few different mediums, and then try to piece together a timeline afterwards. He hasn't died in any of them yet! Which is... surprising.
I killed this one's husband. Only because I was too lazy to develop him. That and I enjoy making my characters miserable.

I love my characters. Really.
SeraphicStar

I never killed any of my major characters, but two of them I am waiting to RP the history of their deaths. I have great plans for the death of both.

Kin Hou and Burke Wilts.
Well my main character Kyle's death was actually a resurrection of sorts. Cause this one rp storyline I did one time involved a rift that allowed features from the Otherworld to escape into the mortal plane and during a fight with a Otherworld dragon Kyles primary soul (yes he has more than one soul...that'll be explained in the backstory on his page when I get it up) was devoured by said dragon causing it to go to the Otherworld where the only way a soul could escape back to the living world and into it's body was for it to be killed. However as Kyles second soul had taken complete control of his body, and his other soul is quite evil, his friends had to basically make him a frankenstein body. This ended up leading tona side rp arc where Kyles soul was put into the new body so he could go and confront his other soul in order to regain control of his original body. Other than that...I've had a couple minor characters up and kick the bucket.
I killed off one because of OOC drama, actually. I had a character who was in a relationship ICly with another person, and OOCly that person would always nag me when I didn't get on every single day. At that time of my life, I spent perhaps an hour, maybe two, on the computer per day, if I could get on every day. So I eventually got fed up with everything and killed her off.

Later on though I missed her, so I revived her by magical means. She was a fairy character so it all worked out. Other than her though, I've never killed any characters.
I've killed off side characters in my main character's story, if that counts. Like her sister. And foster mother. And that guy she imprinted on. Would they be called NPCs in this case?
Speaking of, I would so love to share that story with anyone who wishes to hear it. ^_^
I haven`t killed off a character. I think I wouldn`t want to, you know, in case I wished to play them again in the future. Especially if I have invested quite a bit of time into the character.
Dylan wrote:
I haven`t killed off a character. I think I wouldn`t want to, you know, in case I wished to play them again in the future. Especially if I have invested quite a bit of time into the character.

Yeah. That's my general additude towards killing characters. Lots of time invested in them. I even continue to develop the guy I killed.
Excluding the 1000s of death one of my earlier Laurens went through when I was "failtacular" rper, I don't think I've seriously killed off any of my characters during IC. Draconus' parents & little sister were murdered in his back story, Lauren Wilhelm in her earlier stages died by getting hit by a car (I retconned that when I redid the character), and I've contemplated death scenarios of my other characters...but otherwise, that's 'bout it.

It can certainly happen-- it just HASN'T, yet to most of 'em. xD
Darth_Angelus Topic Starter Moderator

It's really interesting to see how you all feel about character deaths and for the most part, prefer not to :)
Since my characters reset whenever I start a new roleplay, I can, have, and will kill off my characters with gleeful abandon.
One of my oldest characters has recently put herself in a very, VERY bad position and is possibly going to get herself killed. I'm not very happy about it. It's due to my decisions and things I forgot to consider and that makes me a sad puppy. This will be the first time one of my characters gets an actual death. I've had character pass away due to old age (read: disuse) but never played out their passing.

Due to the amount of money and time put into my characters, I'm hesitant to have them killed. Characters of mine that do "die" often get their design recycled to play them somewhere else under different circumstances. Because I'm a nerd and I can't bear to part with my lovely creations.

I mean, I just tossed out a painting I did in 3rd grade this past weekend. If that says anything.
I tend to make new characters for any game I join, and play them only in that game; very, very few ever "ascend" and get carried on (to anything but another incarnation of that game). I also tend to have at least a dozen characters per game. Between those two factors, I'm usually pretty willing to kill a character if it's for legit plot purposes, unless they've got a lot of character-development potential left. For example, in one game I'm currently in, I'm thinking about killing a character in the next few posts I make with him, because it'll give a pretty strong boost to a current plot. (Need to check with the other people in the plot and be sure it doesn't go too far, though, since it'll affect how their characters get treated later on.) And I've had some die in another game, some in war and some to have some actual PCs die in a plague plot, and in a third game I've dropped most of a mountain on my favorite character. Unless I "ascend" a character, they'll "die" whenever the game ends or I leave it anyway, so they might as well go out with purpose and/or style!
Character death is something that is very important to me. It gives them a place to rest, and gives them a finality they need.

Orson feels old; jumps off a building onto a trampolean on top of a shorter building and hits helicopter blades.
Cecil doesn't die.
Ornis finaly kicks the bucket.
Easewood is assasinated.
Reawyn is killed in battle.
Julia dies of old age.
Ben is killed by Georgio.
Georgio(+ a dozen other rogues) is killed by Alan and Alison
Alan is killed and Alison commits suicide
Ira is killed by the sucubis Lucy
Rowan and Emilia are killed in the Battle of Deathwood
Summer dies of sickness
Fay is killed by K'Lmish
K'Lmish is killed by Bella
Bella dies in battle
Atish dies saving Fenir
Fenir dies a hermit from sickness

And that is just the tip of the ice burg. I'm having huge issues with D&D because I can't predeterman character deaths.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Character Deaths

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus