Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Winds of Ithilien

Galreth (played by Rogue-Scribe) Topic Starter

(OOC: Hi Foxy. It's usually considered bad ettiquette to cold-post into a running RP. We can discuss RP via PM or in the Looking for Roleplay OOC forums.)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Galreth's head rung. He did manage to regain his focus as Phae helped him to his feet and got him back before being overrun. He was rallied by Phae's intensity and he again weilded his sword against the onslaught. Galreth had to get Phae to retreat with him and they went flat on to the ground as Gondorian archers let fly a volly of arrows, knocking back the rush of orcs. He got Phae to her feet and they got back behind the line of archers and an advancing line of swords men. They had little time to catch their breaths though as the flank of their line cane under attack.

"To the left!"

Faramir called out, and th earchers on the left turned and fired into the charging orcs. Galreth tapped Phae and they with a few other soldiers rushed to stem the orcs flanking them, threatening to cut them off from the city gate and any chance to escape the trap.
Phaether (played by LadyOfGondor)

She ran and fought with every ounce of energy she could gather. Swinging her sword and slashing orc after orc down. She had a cut across her cheek. Deep. Blood was dripping down the right side of her face and she felt the searing pain in her cheekbone. She turned and beheaded an orc about to kill Galreth. When he turned and saw her she gave him a nod and went back to their ruthless battle.

She duck just in time for one orc to stupidly kill another leaving a smug smirk on her face. She turned to try and find Galreth in the battle and felt relieved upon seeing him fighting with his might.

They had to pull back again, and though they were causing heavy loss to the orcs, there seemed more would take their place. A shield wall was formed when the orc archers started dropping arrows on them. Galreth was wounded by one, and along with his other wounds, he was running out of strength. Faramir weighed his choices and finally said,

"Soldiers of Gondor, we will fight again. But now we must save out strength and leave this city. But we will not leave it unimpeded! I need some to stay behind and hold the gate long enough for the rest to get safely away."

To many volunteered to stay. In the end Faramir picked a dozen who was likely going to die. Galreth was among their number. With the pause of the enemy onslaught, they were able to get organised in to a defense and the bulk of the survivors were able to leave for Minas Tirith with some of the wounded. For those who remained, they prepared for the inevitable. They would be overrun in time.

Phaether stood by Galreth knowing she’d fight till her death. And by the looks of it... that’s where she was headed. No matter... she’d be reunited with her love.

She raised her sword preparing for the second wave of incoming enemies. Everything seemed to be moving slowly. Swords raised, bows drawn, and hearts pounding. War was among them. If she wasn’t sure of that before she sure as hell was now.

The rear-guard battled the orcs through the day, and though their number were few, their renown would be remembered in song and poem for years to come. The stamina they had to beat back charge after charge of orcs was beyond any that have been seen by mortal men since the first age. But as the sun westered, the Nazgul came, and with only five left alive, they did what they were charged to do. The bulk of their remaining force had gotten out and were now safely entering Minas Tirith.

Galreth crouched as he shielded Phaether when the beast of Mordor flew over. The indignation it had for the rear-guard was piqued when the Witch King thought the son of Denethor, Faramir, led the resistance. But it was Anborn, Ranger of Ithilien and loyal second to Faramir who commanded. With now stood only Phaether of Minas Tirith, Galreth of Ithilien, and Beregon, one of the young Gondorians who rode forth with them when they returned. With only four, they had to cede the gate, and they made their way as best they could toward Minas Tirith.

It was Anborn who turned and stood to face the onslaught. The other three didnt see him do so or they too would have turned and stood. It was not until they were half way back across the field of Pelennor did they realise that Anborn was not with them. He was being hacked and eaten buy the orcs, who had given up their pursuit. The army of Mordor had suffered loss, but they now held both East and West Osgiliath.

Galreth stumbled, and Phaether reached for his arm and helped him to his feet. He gave the fierce, and to him, beautiful, ranger a nod as they stumbled forth with little strength.

”We live to fight another day. It will only be time these hordes of filth will be knocking at the gates of the White City.”

It was the end of daylight when the three reached the gates of Minas Tirith.
Durian (played by Rogue-Scribe) Topic Starter

Durian awoke from a slumber he didn’t remember taking. He was on a straw mat in a building, and he could not remember how he got there. He heard someone stirring, and he said without moving,

”Where am I? And where is Fay?”

A man came over and sat down. He was tall and somewhat lean, with a dark complexion with short, black bristles over all of his head and face. Durian had never seen a man like him, and he guessed he was no more than eighteen.

”Who are you, and where am i?”

The man nodded and said,

“They said you would be full of questions. I am Khaloch of Pelargir. I bet you are wondering why a brown man like me is wearing the uniform of Gondor? I was born here. My father was Haradian and my mother a bar wench. I answered the call to serve, and serve I do. Part of that service is to watch over a delirious northerner that washed down the Anduin. That would be you.”

Durian scratched his head. He said,

”I’m confused. I was in a battle, then I was drowning, then I was hung up in brambles, then I was drowning, then some old guy gave me water, now I’m here. What of the war?”

“Yeah, we are alerted. There is rumour the Umbarians will attack. Or there is a rumour that we march north to Minas Tirith to strengthen the city.”

Khaloch told him. Durian sat up. He said,

”I need to get myself in shape if there is battle coming. I want to find my way back to the north and find this woman I fell in love with.”

“Sheee-it. You long for a girl? They be trouble man. And you be in no shape to fight. You skinny as a willow branch. But I tell you what. I take you out and feed you, and I think there will be a need of as many swords as can be gathered before too long.”

Khaloch and Durian walked out of the shanty and went to a place Khaloch knew by the docks.

Phaether was exhausted. She was sore and injured and needed to rest before the next battle. "Galreth.... how long have we got before we are battling once more?" She asked in a hoarse voice hoping they'd have a night to sleep. She looked over at him and was clutching her side. An orc had managed to slice her when her back was turned which only made her slightly slower when fighting. Thus causing her to endure more injuries.

"I cannot tell. If I were the commander, I would regroup and march forthwith. But somehow I feel that is not the plan of the enemy. We may have some time."

Faramir came to meet them, and he said,

"It is well that you made it. Yet three of a dozen is still too dear of a loss. You go up to the healing house so your woulds can be tended to."

He looked at Galreth's head and then to Phaether and shook his head.

"You three go, now!"

Faramir gave Phae the hard look expecting her to be stubborn, but they looked really bad and quite exhausted. Galreth stood by Phae and put his arm around her, and Beregon came to her other side and put an arm around her above Galreth's, and he said,

"Come, we help each other to the healing house."

She wanted to be stubborn. She wanted so bad to be annoying and insist she would be able to heal on her own. But right now she knew that was not the case. She needed help now. She was still losing blood and close to passing out. She stayed close to them as they helped one another to the healing house. Once there she felt her head spin and she passed out, falling into Galreth's arms.

Galreth managed to catch Phae, and he could see she was not doing as well as she let on. He lifted her and almost lost his own balance, and Beregon helped him to find a mat to lay her on. A woman came over and looked at her, then him.

"You! get on that mat and don't move, you have a head wound!"

"Nevermind me, see to Phae, now!"

Galreth said as he sat on the mat next to hers. The woman looked at Beregon and said he could go sot over by the topical station.

The triage healer came to see Scar and signalled that they needed to work on her first, and a blade came out and cut away her armour to expose a grievous wound on her side. It was black, and he suspected the blade that caused it may have had poison on it. He poured some fragrant liquid on it and Phae flinched. Galreth reached for her hand and took it, and he set his head down and faded.

A healer rushed over to Galreth and tended to him as he was passed out beside Phae.

Hours passed before the healers were able to move on from the pair, deciding they would be just fine. Her wound on her side would heal just fine thanks to the herbs and liquid the healers poured on it.

Galreth had a wrap around his head after they stitched up a bad cut in the back of his head that neither of them knew he had. There was water on the ground beside them for when they woke up.

Galreth woke up with his head throbbing. It was good to see Phae sitting there looking much better.

"I guess we live to fight aother day."

he said as he reached for the water. He looked at Phae and smiled.

"You fight well m'lady!"

~ ~ ~

Outside the walls, the rumble of a large army could be heard. It was gathering at Osgiliath with seige towers and rams and regiments of Orcs, Trolls, Easterlings, Southrons, and a fierce tribal fighting sect from Khand. For Minas Tirith and , time was running short and available armies were running thin. But there appeared to be a wizard among them. He was talking to Faramir on teh wall of the second level of the city.

She smiled and nodded ”As do you... how do you feel?” she asked and heard the rumble. She sighed and looked nervous. ”Do you think we’ll make it..?” she asked quietly and nervously. She took a deep breath and held his hand needing his reassurance

"I feel like crap. I have a headache"

Galreth said holding Phae's hand, unconsiencly letting his fingers run along hers. He thought of Phae's words and after a moment, he said,

"I know not m'lady. I do know that while I fight beside you, I hold to hope. I will hold to that hope until such time that I fall, or I see you fall m'lady."

He drank a lot of water, not realising he was caressing Phae's hand.

”Don’t....” she said softly and took a deep breath ”Don’t say you’ll fall. Or I’ll fall. We’ll both get through this. And Faramir too.” she closed ses her eyes and noticed him caressing her hand. But she didn’t mind. She saw him only as a friend despite what he may see her as. And right now, she needed a friend to keep her going. Otherwise she would’ve given up upon learning of the death of her only love.

Galreth, wished he had Phaether's optimism. He only nodded to her words. If they make it, he would ask Phaether to be his wife. Maybe her grief for the fallen northerner would have passed by then, with so much death around them, surely the thought of him would fade? He lay back down.

"I think I will rest some and see if I can shake this headache. You should rest too. Will you lay with me here for a time?"

Galreth knew he was being forward, but with the destruction of Gondor nigh, formalities seemed to have faded away in his mind.
Durian (played by Rogue-Scribe) Topic Starter

Durian was getting rather drunk with Khaloch. It seemed there was many drinking there. The orders came calling for some of the units to arms, but Klaloch remained seated.

"You don't seem to be wearing a complete uniform. What unit are you with?"

"The City Garrison. I will likely stay here when all goes forth, and will be one of the last fighting in the streets when the doom comes."

Khaloch said, downing his tankard and calling for two more. Durian said,

"Well, I will stick with you for now. It's a long way back to the north where I am from, where my home is. If the opportunity comes, I will go back to Minas Tirith and search for this woman I met. I would dearly love to see her again."

The ales came, and Khaloch picked one up.

"Drink up ranger of the north! I'll introduce you to Simra tonight. She will make you forget about some random girl you met in Minas Tirith."

Durian wasn't so sure, but he knew he had only known Fay for a short time... a short amazing time. He was sure she had many suitors though, and had likely mourned his death and moved on. He shook his head and said to Khaloch,

"Yes, lets drink, and tell me about this Simra..."

She thought for a second then nodded. Yes she’d lay with him. She’d sleep beside him in his arms. She would enjoy his comfort. She rested her head on his chest and closed her eyes as she took deep breaths to try and fall asleep. Oddly enough it didn’t take too long and she drifted off to sleep. As she slept they were still holding hands. If no one knew better they would thing they were married or at the very least a couple.

When Galreth awoke some time later, he was paying up against the back of Phae holding her close. He lifted his head and looked at the side of her face, and she could see she was sleeping deeply. He brought his hand back and set it on her hip before rolling over to his back. She stirred and he said,

"I'm sorry I awakened you Phae."

But maybe she wasn't awake? She seemed to move closer, following him on the mat. When she lay on his shoulder, he gently brought his arm around and set his hand on her shoulder as she lay on her side. He dozed off again.

When he woke up later, she had slid down some and rested against him. He sat up and ran his fingers through her hair before easing himself away. He had to stand. When he got to his feet, he looked at the Sleeping Phae.

"Rest well my lady."

He said as he stretched.

She laid on her side facing him and mumbled in her sleep ”Don’t go...” and seemed to reach out towards him. Whether that comment was really meant for Galreth or perhaps Durian in her dreams would remain unknown. She yawned and curled up a little as she continued to sleep. Her wounds were better and she’d be able to fight again. Hopefully the war was almost won... hopefully the one with the ring was close to destroying it.

She hadn’t used the magic of the rune from the elf that blessed her. She was lacking the energy both mentally and physically. She needed to gain all of her strength back so she could fight with all of her might. Using that rune could mean surviving the war and killing more orcs than she could count. It was very important to say the least.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Winds of Ithilien

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus