Skip to main content

Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » The Derelict colony

Mirros (played by Stiltski) Topic Starter

Garner welcomes everyone to the barracks before walking around and giving everyone a badge, which lists the person's name and has a different color pallet based on the person's profession (Red for investigator, Blue with white stripes for protective services, black for engineers, and white for medical services) and after doing so he keeps the red badge that he had kept for him self

"These badges will be the most important equipment you will receive during your time in the scouting program. Not only do they show your profession and name but they also double as your source of O2 when you enter a vacuum" He then goes into a long explanation of how they work when summarized they basically 'create a air bubble around you which will then form around your body before sorta hardening, which this will also double as a weak but still fairly effective shield, also the oxygen supply can last about a week before needing a refill, and for that reason never let your badge get damaged if it does the resulting amount of air being released could send flying before your lungs collapse due to the lack of oxygen'

He then draws everyones attention to a row of named lockers at the side of the room "These lockers contain the rest of your equipment, your uniforms, and whatever small valuables you gave to the higher ups back when you first joined prior to your relocation. Bunks are located at the back of the barracks food court serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner at appropriate times, and every week our manager will come and brief us on future missons and possibly new equipment. Also I wish to add that I am very happy to be working with each of you"
Ember Kamura (played by Ember_Wolf)

"You too...." The wolf said doubtfully Ember would look at his badge "Hm" he would put it in his pocket, his fur bristling lightly "This is ridiculous" Thought the wolf, His tail wagged, The wolf would pull out a handbook he was given earlier,Reading it "This is absolute hell" Mumbled the wolf, He would get up and walk over to the lockers ,He would look on the cards before finding his name "Ember Kamura" The wolf would tap at the Locking device, he would look toward the others "Nobody touch my locker or my belongings, and I will happily work with you" The wolf would slowly close the locker, it was clear that his belongings were Highly sensitive to him
Britt Harcrow (played anonymously)

Britt took their badge from Garner, thanking him before giving a good look to the thing. Black… the color still rubbed them the wrong way. Of all the colors, only the engineers were given a dark color, one that could be overlooked in the case of a collapse or other such emergency. Ah, well, Britt knew engineers weren’t exactly high-priority to get out in emergency situations. They were disposable, easily replaced. It left a sour taste in their mouth, but they couldn’t do a damned thing about it. Britt attached the badge to their shirt, wondering if the company would want it back once they were through with their service. It was a pretty piece of tech, and it had Britt’s name on it so surely they wouldn’t have a use for it afterwards… right?

They slunk over to their locker, riffling through it for a moment, examining the toolkit higher ups had deemed appropriate to give them. Their eyes lit up when they saw their previously confiscated combustion rifle resting against the back of the locker, and they grabbed it, pressing a kiss to the side of the barrel. Oh, how they had missed her! For now, they left the rifle in the locker, but they did grab the “communicator” that had been taken from them along with the firearm. Never hurt to keep a wireless electronic signal modifier on hand. With that, they shut the locker and ensured the lock had engaged.

They bit their tongue to keep from calling Ember a drama king, already fed up with his macho alpha bullshit despite having met him barely five minutes ago. (Britt was notorious for their low tolerance among other people, though.) They glanced around the room, taking a mental note of everyone else’s position on the crew, bearing in mind that the redhead – Torri, she said, right? – was the medic. “Great to hear that, Garner, nice to be working with you, too.” Then, as they walked toward the bunk they’d claimed set on relaxing for a moment, they spoke over their shoulder, “Anyone need any equipment looked at or fiddled with and don’t want to risk electrocution themselves, you know where to find me.”
Kallisti (played by CypherDorran)

Kallisti took her red badge. They had tried give her a black one before she had given them a file or all the web searches they thought they had deleted. She checked her gear was all there and had not manage to crack it yet.
"Garner any chance of a beach side colony?"
She sat on a bed away from wolf and hooked herself up as she went digging for details on her knew team mates.

"Section C, sub-section I, paragraph 4 of our contract states that we are not permitted to know about, provide opinion, or attempt to change the colony we are expected to explore next. The only person that has that info is the manager of our squad, and the last time someone tried to ask him about it...well.....it's just best to hold anything you want to say until mission brief Madam Kallisti" He states while grabbing his gear out of his locker and putting it into his backpack

As if on cue, ember would get up,putting his gear in his backpack and leaning on the wall, the wolf would slowly wag his tail "I've read the handbook over a million times" Thought the wolf, he would perk his ears up,showing that he was listening to Garner "How long is this gonna be..." thought the wolf, he was anxious to get it over with, get his money, get cleared, and leave.

"Section F Sub-section S, paragraph 8, work time, payment, and dismissal time will be disclosed when deemed necessary by the board of representitves, maximum work time will be between 2 to 6 years" He states in a surprisingly calm tone
Torri Nichols (played by Juls)

"Thanks," Torri took the offered white badge, trying to figure out exactly how Garner was speaking as he did not appear to actually have a mouth. He was fascinating from an anatomy point of view. As he spouted off the handbook, she also began wondering if he had an eidetic memory. Perhaps he was some kind of android?

She tucked her badge safely into her breast pocket then located her locker. There was a well stocked medical kit there and she pulled it out to review its contents, but it seemed a standard issue. There was also a geiger counter, a bioscanner, and a semi-automatic pistol.

Torri looked around at the others, most seemed a bit aloof and downright standoffish. But she wasn't about to let that deter her. "You all been on these kinds of missions before? This'll only be my second. The first turned out to only be a nasty computer virus that wiped out nearly all the colony's communications. So other than some missed shipments, everyone was fine."

Kallisti wrote:
She sat on a bed away from wolf and hooked herself up as she went digging for details on her new team mates.

The easily found info: Born on Kepler-186f as Torrian Val Prenski. Her father was part of the military. She majored in Biology, then joined the army where she was trained as a medic. She was married 3 years ago to Zachary Nichols. Seems to have a lot of social media posts about dogs, cats, birds, and other various "cuddly" critters.

Britt held back a snicker, listening to Garner answer Ember and Kallisti’s questions by referring the wolf and hacker to the contract. They were tempted to make a snide comment about it, but they knew there would likely be Section J, sub-section T, paragraph 2: Employees are not permitted to willingly engage in behavior that could result in detrimental effects on interpersonal relationships. Or something like that.

Britt hadn’t read the contract either, but they figured if they (mostly) kept their mouth shut and did what they were told, they’d live out this employment and get to return home to Scrap. They were starting to miss that robot.

Torri speaking about her last mission was probably somehow also against the contract, but Britt couldn't care less. Finally, someone other than Garner that was willing to speak without just complaining. "Computer virus, huh? Gotta love technology sometimes."

Plugging into the network, Kallisti would be able to find... something about Britt. Since they were born on a trash planet where it was horribly difficult to enforce bureaucracy among the thousands of slums, they had no official birth certificate, no proper identification number. They were here in exchange for charges of theft being dropped, their left limbs were prostheses covered in a synthetic skin coating. Oh, and there was a fun story included about their "recruitment" that included them biting an officer.

Ember kamura would go to his locker, opening it, The wolf would take a deep breath before looking at the contents, There was a heavy rifle, pistol,A small bag containing equipment, And.... That one necklage "How'd that get in here? I thought I lost it when those men tackled me" the wolf thought, It was a small plate of metal with a symbol painted on it, a small chain was drilled into it, allowing it to be used as a necklace, the wolf would put it around his neck,using his undershirt to conceal the symbol,there was also a different uniform/armour in the locker,A familiar hole was above the rear of it,A hole where the wolf would fit his tail through "Question, Are these Unis standard issue?"

"Mama, would tell me of for being rude; but in a family as big as mine finding alone time is hard hence why I retreated into the net." Said Kallisti sitting up on her bed. "Not sure why you're all here; whether you volunteered or volunteered but it probably best if we try to get along. Makes things more bearable if not quicker."
She swung he legs of the bed and stood. Tightening the arms of her jump suit round her waste as she did so. A simple chain necklace was close around her neck and the tattoo on her right breast was partially hidden by her top. She walked over to the medic and offered her hand.
"Buenas tardes médico I am Elvira Dolors Molina Rosales but everyone calls be Kallisti" She said with a polite smile. Turning to Britt she Asked "Ingeniero?"

Ember Kamura wrote:
"Question, Are these Unis standard issue?"

"To a degree, if you don't recall the survey that you took prior to your recruitment, certain answers to certain questions, your gender, your age, and your personality will be taken as factors when giving out equipment"
Kallisti wrote:
She went digging for details on her new team mates

Garner's profile is mostly clean, however there are many notes of his many, many refusals to participate in any scientific studies involving his odd reformation.

Ember would growl aggressively , Bearing his fangs "This is total B******, I said I wanted it grey and red,How long do I have to work for you sick ****s?" The wolf would slam his locker shut, His fur bristled into an angry look,The wolf would sit down on his bed The wolf would growl "I wanna get this over with..." The wolf would lay down, sighing "Anyone got cards...?" The wolf would stop wagging his tail "At least it's better than atlas"
Torri Nichols (played by Juls)

"Yeah, no kidding" Torri commented to Britt, "... but I'm sure they don't all go like that..."

The medic turned to Kallisti, accepting the offered hand with a firm shake. "Nice to meet you, Kallisti. I think we..."

"This is total B******, I said I wanted it grey and red,How long do I have to work for you sick ****s?" Whatever pleasantry Torri was about to say was forgotten in a moment as the wolf started swearing and slamming his locker. And over the color of his uniform? She raised her eyebrows and exchanged a "can you believe this guy" look with Britt and Kallisti.

"Don't we all..." she glanced at the name on his locker, "...Ember."

Britt nodded in regard to Kalisti's question, "Sí, señorita." They flopped on the bed, laying on their stomach and propping their head up in their hands, "Engineer, oil-monkey, 'tech-wizard,' whatever they want to say I am, at least."

Finally, Britt just couldn't take Ember's sh*t any longer. Unlike Torri, though, they couldn't keep their mouth shut about it. They turned their head slightly, scowling, calling out to Ember, "Hey, dude, go take a walk if you're just going to stand over there yelling and complaining. I'm not here because I want to be here either, but you don't see me causing a scene about it." Was it a smart decision? No. No, it was not. Ember had weight and height on Britt, but Britt wasn't exactly renown for their great decisions. Plus, if the wolf went to pounce, well... that was probably against the contract and he might get tranqed. That'd stop his yelling, at least.

"LET ME GUESS!!!! DOES IT HAVE A SHOCK COLLAR IN IT?!?!" Yelled the wolf, the wolf's ears would quickly hear Britt,as if on cue he would get up and walk over,Staring him down,the wolf seemed as if he was going to throw a punch, His paw (Or fist) balled up in hatred. However the wolf would release his grip "Is it really that much of a problem?" the wolf would perk his ears down, before walking back to his bed. "Fine, I'll calm down, but I would like to know how long this contract lasts" the wolf would sit down on his bed "All I wanna do is get back to my Taolon…." The wolf would slowly lean back "I'm from Draconis... Where you guys from?"

Garner then goes blank faced for a few seconds before quickly getting up with his bag and heading towards the opposite end of the bunker where he grabs a message from a slot in the wall, he then quickly reads the message over, not saying a word before crumpling it up and throwing it down a chute labeled 'incinerator'. Following this odd sequence of events he promptly walks back and sits down on his bed silently, thinking to himself

"Go ahead, punch the kid two feet shorter than you. See how well that goes," Britt groused, unflinching when Ember approached in a huff, accustomed to people back on Oerbon flashing their weight around like it meant something. Yeah, sure, it might mean that Ember could knock Britt's lights out incredibly easily, but how well would that go for him?

"Section F Sub-section S, paragraph 8," Britt parroted under their breath when Ember returned to his bunk, because they didn't know when to just shut up "we're not allowed to know how long this'll take unless the board of representatives elect to do so."

Their eyes followed Garner as he walked the length of the bunker, grabbed a message, read it, crumpled it up and threw it in the incinerator. He seemed to be deep in thought, whatever was on that paper had gotten him thinking. "Everything okay, Garner?"

He snaps back into attention, although his tone is a mix of low key panic and uncertainty "Yes, yes just some words from the manager regarding..." he trails off for a few seconds "...cuts to the exploration department, our manager doubt this will affect us however" He seems as though he wants to give the details on this, but at the same time he doesn't

"Look, it's perhaps best we just sleep on it for tonight. It's getting rather late at the current moment and each of you need bed rest for whatever may or may not happen tomorrow, if any one needs me I'll be wandering around the barracks, I've had insomnia for the last few days and judging by how I feel at the current moment, I don't think I'll have any luck sleeping tonight"

He gets back up and walks out of the bunk room, and proceeds to wander around the hallways of the barracks while talking to himself under his breath, occasionally looking around to see if anybody is listening to him "Solaris? Why would they want to send us there...the last time we checked there all we found was rubble, corpses, and that odd artifact, what else can be there? And why would he breif me on something like that so close to staff cuts... oh Garner why did you accept to be team message receiver..."

"calm it you two or they'll have the médico spay you both in your sleep." Said Kallisti possitioning herself to intervene. "I've taken a look at the formula; it is complex bull**** but fighting either gets you more time or the long walk home."
She tried to present a clam controlled front but knew the odds were against her if things came to blows.

You are on: Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » The Derelict colony

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus