Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Longest Roleplay You've Ever Been In?

psionicburst wrote:
I've been RP'ing with a small group of two, not including me, with 791 posts, starting from October 25th of last year.
Cool!
Six years and running.

It's on a hiatus now, but I met some friends on an MMO and we've all been role-playing as a family / "noble House" ever since. I quit said MMO a few years ago, so we migrated the RP from that universe and essentially transplanted it elsewhere. In that MMO game, my character has long since died but they continue to reference her, sweet of them.

We now continue the story in our own lore on Discord, which is on hiatus due to all of us having our own things going on.(Most of us started when we were 17-18 and now we're adults with more responsibilities, yay!)

I love these nerds quite a bit and may or may not coax them to come to RPR.
Dream wrote:
Six years and running.

It's on a hiatus now, but I met some friends on an MMO and we've all been role-playing as a family / "noble House" ever since. I quit said MMO a few years ago, so we migrated the RP from that universe and essentially transplanted it elsewhere. In that MMO game, my character has long since died but they continue to reference her, sweet of them.

We now continue the story in our own lore on Discord, which is on hiatus due to all of us having our own things going on.(Most of us started when we were 17-18 and now we're adults with more responsibilities, yay!)

I love these nerds quite a bit and may or may not coax them to come to RPR.

One of us! One of us!
My longest text based RP was about two and a half years, with a small group of people on a different site, that sadly sort of just dissolved with time, and the owner of the site losing interest in maintaining the overarching plotlines. It was a hell of a fun ride while it had lasted though.

As far as longest running rp in total though. I've had the same D&D group for 10+ years now, and though the world has changed a few times over the years, the group has stayed together. Tabletop is where I tend to get most of my rp experiences from. Since most of my online rps tend to drift in and out due to IRL taking priority. I think the longest rp I've ever had over here was nearly a year and a half.
Longest roleplay I've been in on RPR? It lasted for two years, I think. It was an amazing ride, and I loved their writing and their character! Life ended up happening though, so we had to cut it short.

I've found that roleplays on here run me around ten months or so on average overall. ...When someone and I click, that is. If not, it usually lasts me a couple of weeks.

But longest roleplay in general? ...A former alliance and I had one going for three years through texts and phone calls. It never had an actual "end," so to speak, since we'd restart our adventures almost daily because we forgot the plot of the one prior to that. But because of that factor, I don't count that one at all.

So the actual longest is a vocal roleplay that's been going for... Again, almost two years now. It's on hiatus because life, but it's still going to this day and that makes me pretty happy!
I have two one that outside of thise site and one that is on this site. They both involve my character Kukiko Vellucci. So I created her originally as a mafia creepypasta, it's cringy now I know but I was a highschool freshman so it was whatever, and it was my first ro and it was with my best friend it went on for four years never finished it though we just kind of stopped.
On this site my longest rp time wise is on that started off as a bulter rp and they eventually grew to love each other
There are two ways of doing the "longest" for me - the number of replies and the number of days since the first post. I want to start by saying that I don't like short, one-off scenes. What I do a lot is trying out an opening/plot with many people, see who is interested, how it would go, how interesting it is... Generally, that means I will start the same plot with 5 different people and very quickly I find 3 or 4 will just stop replying or are just not active / into it enough. I am a university student, so I get that irl stuff happens all the time, and it's best to let people know you're going through a rough patch or taking a break but will come back or not before dropping an RP completely.
When I don't reply to them and stop the plot, it's generally because I find they don't have the proper drive for the story, or their writing is just a mess, or they don't contribute to the plot so I'm left just carrying on everything from NPC chatter to props and other plot points.
RP is a two-way street - you have to give and take to make a good story.

With that all said, I must note that I can't be certain about longest in terms of days because a lot of times a good LONG RP will have a couple of breaks for IRL stuff. After reaching the first month, I usually know an RP can be considered good. If we reach the second month, you're hooked for a really good story as long as there are ideas to continue. I've been in an RP that lasted 6 months before.

As for the number of replies, the longest I have on record in my inbox is 2,726.
Note: Not every RP that you say you want 1 paragraph minimum will continue like that through the entire plot. There are probably a good number of those replies that are one or two sentences, just because muse was low, busy at work / class, a character didn't have much to contribute... Then there are some of those posts that could have been broken up into smaller replies with chances in between for the characters to interact, but maybe one person was just full of this idea that they wanted to get out before they forgot. It's completely up to what might have been happening. My general rule is, if we get to 300 replies, the plot has merit. 500 - 900? That's a decent story and probably won't be satisfying to end there. 1000 or more? Damnnnnn we were into it!

But again, it isn't the length of an RP that makes it good - that is just an indication that there's some spark there. It's the content that counts!
MasterWinter

My longest rp is still going to this day. It's been going on for a year maybe two now? I'd need to ask my friend Krispy, since she has the original starter to this specific rp of ours.

We have a Warriors Orochi rp going, and there are like 4 games in that series. We started rping the 3rd game, and we are no where near finished.

Funny thing is we didn't even start with that rp. I found her Sengoku Basara canon page she rped on, posted her to it and started there. We picked up on more rp's over time, and the WO3 just keeps going. We also are doing rp's that go fully into how certain rp couples of ours got together etc, since they weren't originally fully explored. So I guess there are quite a few of ours that have been going on for a time.

Krispy is just one of those rprs I connect with easily. We have little to no issues with one another. She got me into portraying canons more, even if it's mostly just with her, and I got her into creating OC's since those were my forte.

It depends on who and what you can find, what elements you can use to build a story and keep it going.
I had a roleplay that lasted well over a year, +800 multi paragraph posts. Lost contact with the player afterwards and got really salty.

I've had a few, maybe two or three that lasted a couple of hundred replies in total here on rpr, but in terms of rl time, mine and Peyrovalyc's roleplay is the second longest running since May 1st. I'm about to write post no. 75 this week if I can manage.
Oh, oh, another long RP I've been on is similar to the one I mentioned, though I wasn't a creator for that. I still have and use the character I originally made for it at least...6 years ago? probably more, though I can't remember for sure.
I pretty regularly get rps that last 5-12 months. If they don't die in two weeks, they can usually last. In terms of physical time, I know I've had multiple that went 5+ years. I think my rp with my roommate, Life Studies, is the longest and possibly the longest in post count at close to 2k. It was the first story we finished. Everything else we've finished in considerably less time so I suspect Life Studies was just extraneous.
My longest game was a tabletop campaign for the Rifts Roleplaying game.

The game lasted one summer, somewhere around twelve weeks. However, that was five or six days a week at eight to ten hours each session.

Given the average tabletop session is two to four hours each week we accomplished several years worth. (Effectively each day for us was like a month for other tabletop games)

Given that a single round of action in a forum could last days, a feat that takes minutes on a tabletop, we effectively had a game that lasted decades or longer by comparison!

It was amazing. We went from level 1 straight up to level 20, (19 in my case) and had a crazy group consisting of wizards, dragons, cyborgs and Mecha. We explored much of the Earth, other dimensions and even established a military base/colony in Mexico.

In the penultimate episode I finally went absolutely insane when a fellow player's character proposed marriage to another player character instead of my character! This could not be. I talked up with group's greatest enemy and during a truly epic battle at the wedding I was killed.

I didn't create a new character at this point because it didn't feel right. We were like ninety five percent through the story, the final battle up ahead and we'd all had the same characters for hundreds of hours so I just stayed dead.

The final episode involved vengeance upon the vampire intelligence (think Jabba the Hutt as a vampire) that I had allied with to disrupt the wedding and destroy the colony but I wasn't involved. I just laid there playing dead, trying not to distract from the action. The final battle was really tough because the villain was meant for the entire group and I wasn't there to help.

Afterwards we included a nice denouement with each player getting to orate what happened with their characters' after the campaign giving it a very epic conclusion. Mine was something along the lines of, "I remain dead, while the rest of you go down in history as heroes I am unlamented and promptly forgotten."
wow, that sounds epic!
That's the main reason growing up sucks. Once you're out of school you can't do cool things like performing a hobby full time. Paying the rent really gets in the way.

In addition Rifts is pretty darn cool. Not the system; the system sucks horribly. However, the setting is great! Anthropomorphic locust are taking over the North American Wilderness. The Coalition States are human purists that hunt down and kill all aliens and magic users. Germany is at war with a nation of Gargoyles. Mexico is ruled by vampire kingdoms.

It has a lot going on.
A little over a year so far, I believe. Yeah.
I'd say the longest one I've been in, is an ongoing one with BlankSlate! We started it I believe last summer, so about a year or so,(could be wrong, it's been a while..) and have gotten, I'd say 45 pages into it! Its a lot of fun, and I have to say, it's kept me totally hooked since day one!(despite my sudden absence for over half a year...) He was pretty understanding about it though, and we picked it right back up! I'd say we have finely acquainted ourselves with each other as well along the way, and he has quite the taste in anime, and he's just this really cool and funny guy all around. I'd totally hit him up for an RP, or maybe even a quick chat!
It was back when I first started using RPR in 2017. I don't exactly remember who I did it with and how long it lasted, but we got up to 100 pages. Pretty sure it lasted for months before I disappeared.
Fell-san

my own roleplay baby Marvel roleplay with 114 pages
PinkBrat

The longest one I've done has been around 5+ years. I lost count. Might be around 7 or 8. Right now I'm going on 2 years. Maybe a little more. When I get to be friends with people I roleplay with it's easier for me to go longer and even expand stories.

My longest one rn is with my boyfriend and we have over 20 rps. But most of those are in 2 worlds. It's pretty great but I have trouble finding roleplay partners that want to stick around for a long time and build into each others story.
ChebaBeesting

I think my longest roleplay was approximately 4-5 weeks on some other website. The shortest one I've had was about 1-4 hours, maybe a bit more.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Longest Roleplay You've Ever Been In?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus