Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Dev Research: What should we do with game tags?

Kim Site Admin

There are now many characters who have membership in so many groups, and are tagged with so many games, that they overflow and break their templates.

Allotting enough space to make certain there is always space for all of a character's game tags is functionally impossible, because we can never know how many tags they will eventually have.

So, we have two options (that I know of).

1. I can limit the number of game tags that are actually displayed on a template. This would allow some to appear at a glance, but no doubt create confusion when certain other tags get left out.

2. We can move all the tags to their own window accessible from the profile toolbar. Like the windows that open up when you click +friend or +enemy, we'd just add a "View Game Tags" option that would display all of them at a go. This would be an extra step to see the tags, but it would mean that none get left out. It may also have the extra benefit of preventing odd game/group tags from conflicting with the color palette of the character's template, for those of you who are finicky like that.

In both cases, all of the tags would still appear in browsing and in search results.

I am strongly leaning toward option number two as the most sensible, but I thought I'd run it by you guys before making such a drastic change to profiles.
Sanne Moderator

Definitely two! But I can see people preferring to choose which group tags to display (private groups?). Any thoughs on combining the two?
I personally see only advantages to the second option, whereas the first has the disadvantage that it seems incomplete.

I assume in the first option, it would be randomized which game/group tags are displayed when someone opens the character page in question. I can imagine that could be annoying, and people would want to choose which ones would show up, so they can make sure only the ones with the fancy icons show up, or only their absolute favourites. But then if people could choose, many people might also have difficulty choosing which ones to display and which ones to leave out because they think they're all awesome and important.

The second option seems perfect. When you happen upon a character page through the search option, you'll have seen the tags in the search results already, anyway. There's no need to see them all displayed on the page itself, in my opinion. It's the character that's most important, not the tags. And if you happen to be interested in the tags and forgot what they were, you can always just make them pop up. Seems like a nice and clean solution to me! I'm a fan of making things pop up or drop down. And I'm also one of those finicky people who gets annoyed by icons and tags not matching the template. XD
The second option seems the best pick, Kim! It's very sensible and sure it's one extra step, but some people might not even want to see game tags so unless they were looking for what games a character is played in, they wouldn't have to click it at all!
I think the second is the best. If it were possible to have maybe both...! But, if I had to choose, it'd be the second one.
Ilmarinen Moderator

I like the second one. However I think it would also be cool to have a "Groups" widget like the "Friends" or "Enemies" widgets. :)
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Of those two options, the second seems to be the best.

Although, I am going to expand Heimdall's suggestion to widgets that cover both games and groups. I could see it working as one that combines the two, much like the friends and enemies widget, or maybe a seperate widget for them both.

It's easy to suggest that but I don't know how much trouble it would be to code.
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Good to hear.

Game tags have been moved to character toolbars. Those of you with ten thousand game tags, you may feel free to go back to using your favorite templates that previously didn't have enough room.

I'm definitely adding a games and groups widget to my list as well, for those of you who'd like to put them in plain sight, and pick which ones are featured.
I like Heim & Darth's idea. Seems useful to have games & groups widgets--and if folks REALLY wanted to have game tags like they do currently, maybe let them pick & choose which ones to put up?

Like, if I roleplay a character on Furcadia & Skype the most, but not-so-much on MSN, I could pick to have the former two up, but have MSN off to the side in the widget.

Not sure if that's possible either, but it's just a thought. If that's not even remotely possible, suggestion #2 as it is definitely works for me.

Edit: KIM, YOU ARE A POSTING NINJA. XD
I think the widgets is very important, because now the game tags are totally set off to the side and almost unnoticed. Especially for groups who might rely on people seeing these tags and clicking on them to find out more information.
I would have to agree that I do seem to sway towards option 2 as mentioned above.
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Dylan wrote:
I think the widgets is very important, because now the game tags are totally set off to the side and almost unnoticed. Especially for groups who might rely on people seeing these tags and clicking on them to find out more information.

Agreed. We'll put a bit of a rush on it.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Dev Research: What should we do with game tags?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus