Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Moments of stupidity

A few moments ago my brain had a major error. Out of nowhere, I started panicking because I thought it was almost time for class. I wasn't dressed, hadn't eaten, hadn't brushed my teeth, hadn't done anything except shower and my hair was still wet (I don't use a hair dryer), so naturally I started rushing to get ready.
  • I ended up changing my clothes several times because I couldn't remember if we were going to be dissecting things today and couldn't decide how cold it was outside.
  • I took the cap off my juice, poured some juice into the cap, and tried to garge it like it was mouthwash. It wasn't mouthwash.
  • Once I finished rinsing with the actual mouthwash, I struggled for longer than I care to admit to put the juice cap onto the mouthwash bottle.
  • I caught myself centimeters away from putting deodorant on my lips like it was (huge) chapstick.
  • I even came to the conclusion that it was absolutely necessary to do some last minute studying for a test that's coming up a week from now.

Then, in the midst of chanting "Eukarya, opisthokonta, animalia, eumetazoa, bilateria" and so on, I stopped and read the time. 11:00. Why doesn't that sound right? 11:00... 11:00... 11:00...

Oh.

I don't have class at 11, I have class at 12. Today is Monday. My first class was cancelled so I slept in, that's why I feel like I'm running late. I'm an idiot.

So... Tell me about some of your moments of stupidity! I need some reassurance that I'm not completely dense, lol.
I don't have a particular example off the top of my head, but I can assure you that I do stuff like this. I usually don't make it through so many steps, before realizing something, but I've still done lots of other random dumb things. XD

Actually, I'd still occasionally wake up worried I was late for class years after graduating.
I once got up.. crossed the room and turned off my alarm (or apparently thought I did)

Showered, brushed my teeth, got dressed... the whole routine..

Look at the clock and realize it's 2:30 a.m. and my alarm wasn't even scheduled to go off until 6. So apparently I must have dreamed that whole thing about turning off the alarm, even though I can still remember it quite clearly. LOL

(Or, I really did hear my alarm and we live in the Matrix... <.< Temporary glitch? )
After six years of Roleplaying, I finally figured out what IC and OOC meant a few days ago. ^^;
I've LITERALLY driven to the wrong campus (the downtown one instead of the regular one), when I had M, W, F classes at one and Tues/Thurs classes at the other. When I got to the downtown campus, after I had parked, I realized, "I'm at the wrong school!!!"

So... don't feel bad. ♥️
iolhantheX

Poured cold water on my teabag instead of hot.

Spilled tea in my bed and then ran around looking for new sheets when I already had pulled some out.

Tried to charge my Android phone with my iPad cord.

Called my bunny "Kitten" when I was feeding her.

Forgot to wash my hair in the shower.

Mistook a gummy candy for a cough drop.

Called my gaming buddy, "Anthony" for an hour instead of his actual name, which is Paul.
I called him by the wrong name again... *Facepalm*
Bunny Topic Starter

iolhantheX wrote:
Called my bunny "Kitten" when I was feeding her.

OH MY GOD! You just reminded me that I once blurted out "Puppy!" when I saw a deer. It was so embarrassing, thanks for dragging that memory out from the depths of my brain. Dx

But no really, that's hilarious. I love all of these stories so far!
Allowed my fiancé to cook without supervision...poor hamburger helper...
Context: I have curly hair so, wash day is a very specific day and a lengthy process. So... I have often accidently gotten my head wet in the shower when it wasn't washday and messed up the schedule.

I've put milk in the freezer.

I forgot banana bread was in the oven for 20 minutes after the timer went off

I forgot I was boiling water and burnt the pot.

I frequently get a glass of water and leave it on the kitchen counter for hours.

I frequently get all ready for bed, climb under the covers, close my eyes and realize either 1. The light is still on 2. The TV is still on and the remote is on my desk or 3. I forgot to pee.

I try to unlock the house door with my bike lock key.
Allowed my husband to cook eggs by himself. He boiled them so long, they burned.

I always lose my phone, even if it’s in my hand.

I’ll go into a room for something, grab everything else, and forget the original item.

I’ve lost my keys....while staring at them.
TheUkrainianBean wrote:
After six years of Roleplaying, I finally figured out what IC and OOC meant a few days ago. ^^;

I had no idea what those meant either. Don’t feel bad.
Caught my sleeve on a door handle on my way out of the room.

Did the same thing again upon return, and ripped the seam open.
JustAGuy

Sawed down a tree, turned around and just kinda forgot about it and it proceeds to fall and hit me XD

Im fine don't worry, it was a small tree
Sarvigothe

This is kind of a weird thought about stupidity for me, but...

I was at work and was just walking down the hallway. I saw the tile colors change and stopped for a moment because I thought, "if I dive into those tiles, full on headfirst dive, I'll end up in the deepest parts of the ocean and become happy."

...Of course as soon as I doubted the reality of that happening I knew it wouldn't happen and spend the rest of the day thinking about why I had such a lack of belief in my thoughts.

Now I think about it most days and have deep regrets. So I think that's my most recent moment of stupidity because I can't stop thinking about that moment. .///.
Allow me to paint you a picture....

My roommates come home to see me curled up on the couch watching tv and eating ice-cream. From the box... That was sitting in a bowl. He has just decided to not ask questions.

Me while at petsmart and seeing a chameleon that was trying to climb onto the glass: Woah! If I stay here long enough I'll be able to see this dood turn into the color of clear.

While working in the party section in my old job I encounter an entire bag of rubber bouncy balls. I stare at it and get an idea. I take it into my hands and drop it onto the ground. The bag just flops there and doesn't do anything. I honestly don;t know what I was expecting.
I can recall at least three cases of stupidity on my end... But I assure you, there is so much more than just the following:

•Whenever my boyfriend and my best friend are in a conference call with me, I somehow manage to address my boyfriend with my best friend's name and vice versa. It's happened so often that they claim they have evolved like Pokémon or Digimon whenever I mess up their names nowadays (or worse, blur them together because I'm flustered or something like that).

•I tried putting my water bottle in the medicine cabinet once after I was done taking my meds. I stood there for longer than I would like to admit wondering why the dang thing wouldn't fit inside my cabinet.

•One evening, sleepy me had a bowl of meatballs with marinara sauce. Decided to snatch some bread from the bread holder on top of my microwave, right? So I took out the loaf, grabbed a couple of slices, and put it back in what I thought was the bread holder.

Next day, I went to heat up some food in the microwave... And I found the loaf of bread inside. I'll give you one guess as to why it was in there in the first place.
CherryWine

Oooooh boy my moments of stupidity happen so often that I could probably stack them all high enough to create a ladder high enough to just ascend and escape my idiocy. One of the best examples just happened no less than ten minutes ago when my roommate came back from the store and when I was emptying the bag I just blurted out Ibuprofen? What kind of sweet is that?

.... Bare in mind I'm the one who asked him to get Ibuprofen in the first place! There's also my silly habit of knowing that I might run into something, let's use the bathroom door handle that sticks out into my very narrow hallway (made even more narrow and cramped by my bike taking up half of it). I know that it's there and I tell myself to be careful to not bump right into it, and yet my side still goes right into it, full impact and I'm struggling to hold in a curse loud enough to alert my whole flat. No wonder I need Ibuprofen...
I forgot how to say 12:30 and said, "its noon thirty"
amelie-angele

Spoiler tag for an actual mistake I made - writing something in a lighthearted thread that turned serious p quick. Sorry.

~ ~ ~

I remember I accidentally embarrassed a girl in front of the entire school.

i was in primary school at this time. I was maybe ten or eleven or twelve. The context was that she was on this TV show (it was like a live tv show or a competition show or something. Don't know the specifics.) with this boy. Throughout the recording she was apparently staring really intensely at him?

So our teacher (all three of us shared the same class with each other.) was talking about the show in assembly and made a joke about this girl liking him. Not all of us had watched that particular episode, and not everyone in the school knew that these people from our school were on it. But my class knew that this girl and this boy were on it, and the girl was like putting her head down in her hands in embarrassment.

So stupid, stupid naive me started making gestures to the teacher (I was in the back of the hall), pointing to her and waving my hands in a gesture of NO and then ten seconds later, I realize what I am doing. I think it was because someone was yelling at me. I don't think I would have realized what I was doing was wrong if they hadn't told me.

I remember some people were like looking backward and grinning. I must have looked like a jerk. I was a jerk. Just not intentionally.

Anyway, I tried apologizing to the girl but her friends didn't let me near her, so I couldn't explain what I was trying to do. By this time, I was like crying or something, and I couldn't speak. Whatever. On our way back to class everyone ignored me, which was about the right thing to do, I guess. I would've done the exact same thing. In my defense, I had never actually learned how to be with people as a child. My family never got along well with each other, and I did nothing but stare at walls, watch stupid kids shows like Barney and think by myself. My parents never got visits from other people, and they barely went out because it was a foreign country. It's only now, in high school, that I learnt how to get along with people.

But whatever. That's is the worst mistake I ever made. It doesn't matter now, since I can't do anything to apologize. I moved out of that country a year later. I hope she's okay now.
My boyfriend and I were on the topic of Marvel. I have never seen a single Marvel movie in my life but we got on the discussion of Thanos somehow. I was talking about his gauntlet he had and stupidly said that he had 'Force Gems' in it instead of 'Infinity stones'

My BF told his friends in a chatroom of what happened.

I still feel stupid to this day.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Moments of stupidity

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus