Skip to main content

Forums » Forum Games » Words your parents say that nooo one else does

Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

Subtleknifewielder wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:
Quote:
Let's not forget 'If wishes were horses, beggars could ride.'

I've never heard that one. And I'm trying to figure out what it means, but I'm...not getting it. Hehe. What does it mean? Is it like saying "action will get one farther than wishing" or something like that?
It's a saying about how common wishes are, but rare the fulfillment of them is, I think. Everyone wishes for something, but few work hard to achieve it. So...if everyone's wish were a horse, anyone could ride anywhere they want to go. It's an old saying from when horses were a lot more valuable as a means of travel, I think.

Kind of like saying 'If I had a nickel for every time I heard [such and such], I'd be a millionaire.'

Ooooh. I get it now. Haha

So it's like saying if wishes were horses, there would be so many horses that beggars could ride a horse instead of walk.

Ookay. Thank you. You're a good wise-old-sayings translator.
Yeah that's basically it--basically everyone could ride instead of most people having to walk. XD

And awww, thanks *blushes*
Abigail_Austin wrote:

Quote:
Let's not forget 'If wishes were horses, beggars could ride.'

I've never heard that one. And I'm trying to figure out what it means, but I'm...not getting it. Hehe. What does it mean? Is it like saying "action will get one farther than wishing" or something like that?

Essentially means that wishing is pointless and won't get you anywhere. Like 'if wishes got you anywhere then you'd be there' I suppose.

And like subtle said, if all wishes were horses, everyone would have a horse essentially.
PenguinColada

There really isn't anything abnormal my parents say. Well, my mother calls potato wedges "jojos" and I picked up on it when I was a little kid. I went to school and we had potato wedges and I would call them "jojos" and my classmates would look at me as if I'd grown a third arm.

(Edit: She claims this is a northern thing. Our family is originally from Alaska but now we live in the Midwest.)

Now my in-laws... They're an odd bunch. Terms such as "oh hecky-poo" and "danged ol' shucks" are common curses.
PenguinColada wrote:
There really isn't anything abnormal my parents say. Well, my mother calls potato wedges "jojos" and I picked up on it when I was a little kid. I went to school and we had potato wedges and I would call them "jojos" and my classmates would look at me as if I'd grown a third arm.

(Edit: She claims this is a northern thing. Our family is originally from Alaska but now we live in the Midwest.)
It could well be a northern thing...my parents call them that too and they were born and raised in Idaho.
Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

Subtleknifewielder wrote:
PenguinColada wrote:

It could well be a northern thing...my parents call them that too and they were born and raised in Idaho.

I second that theory, because I live in the Southern United States (Texas), and I've never heard them called that! :)
When teaching me (and my sister) about house chores....my parents used to tell me not to run over the cord with the vaccum.....any cord in fact....if I did I would be electrocuted and probably die

Needless to say even as a grown adult I have never once ran one over, even knowing theres no way I'd possibly be electrocuted I'm just not willing to take the chance.....thanks mom
Starwarsfan

my mom says
butter my butt and call me a biscuit
Bless your pea-pickin' little heart!
Kiss my go-to-hell.
yeah she's from the south
Starwarsfan wrote:
my mom says
butter my butt and call me a biscuit
Bless your pea-pickin' little heart!
Kiss my go-to-hell.
yeah she's from the south
I've heard the first one, not the other two XD
My nan always used to call me a wimp for being scared of jaspers.

A Jasper is a Suffolk (UK) term for a wasp, but I've never heard anyone else but her use it.
Abigail_Austin wrote:
I'm on a nostalgic kick...

Rules

1. Name a word or phrase you've never heard spoken except by your parents or grandparents.

2. Put the definition

Clothes horse

Mom: "We need to get a clothes horse."
Me: "What in the world is a clotheshorse?"

Definition: a frame upon which clothes are hung after washing, indoors or outdoors, to dry by evaporation

...I actually thought everyone had a clothes horse. I seldom have mine put away. Now I feel strange. :D

My fiance's dad calls helicopters 'herbaflooberators' and has no idea why.

His nan used to say, when the sky looked grey, "it looks dark over at Will's mothers".

My parents swore by the old rhyme: "red sky at night, shepherd's delight. Red sky in the morning, shepherd's warning". :)
Heidi wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:
I'm on a nostalgic kick...

Rules

1. Name a word or phrase you've never heard spoken except by your parents or grandparents.

2. Put the definition

Clothes horse

Mom: "We need to get a clothes horse."
Me: "What in the world is a clotheshorse?"

Definition: a frame upon which clothes are hung after washing, indoors or outdoors, to dry by evaporation

...I actually thought everyone had a clothes horse. I seldom have mine put away. Now I feel strange. :D

My fiance's dad calls helicopters 'herbaflooberators' and has no idea why.

His nan used to say, when the sky looked grey, "it looks dark over at Will's mothers".

My parents swore by the old rhyme: "red sky at night, shepherd's delight. Red sky in the morning, shepherd's warning". :)
hahah, yeah, I know what you mean about the Clothes horse thing.

I've heard the red sky one, only it was applied to sailors. Overall, whomever it gets applied to, I think it might have something to do with the direction people most often get their weather from (the east).
My grandfather use to tell me: "Neet flap lorny quando floo!"
lovepoke
calm down, those are love pokes

when you pet a car and it kneads, my mom called it lovepoking so my siblings didn't think they were being attacked.

an other is the tickle spiders

you would use your fingers to "crawl" on a little kid and tickle them. they were called tickle spiders. we had to come up with new ways to kill them, and when they died, my parents would flip their hands over, so they were open, palm up. I thought that was a game literally every child played.until I was like 15 and did it to a kid I was babysitting and he looked so lost.
I love you. My parents are the only people who have ever said this to me, so it must be really rare.
Spoopeth wrote:
I love you. My parents are the only people who have ever said this to me, so it must be really rare.
must be, I haven't heard that in years oO
Wow, that makes me sad :(
My mother calls me ignorant.

Often out of context.

I'm not entirely sure she even knows what the word actually means. I think she thinks it means "one who ignores" or something.
Blood is thicker than water.
I know that it's a proverb, but I've actually never heard anyone but my dad say it. And he'll usually say it when I refuse to do something for him, that he doesn't want to do himself - like buy him shirts through the German Amazon. I don't speak German.

You are on: Forums » Forum Games » Words your parents say that nooo one else does

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus