Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Have you met anyone famous?

My other half spent the day with Heinrich Popow, a German Paralympian who took gold in London. Heinrich spent all day helping him learn to run better, and even put on his own running leg (the running blades), and they ran together. He was a very chill guy, went out and talked cars with him after they were done (hubs has a new mustang that's adapted to drive with his left leg), and ended up giving him his email and phone number so they could keep in touch. It really, really made my other half happy that someone like that cared so much, so it got me thinking..

Have you ever met someone famous wh turned out to be twenty times more awesome than you thought?
I prank called Neil Cicireiga once. Long story.

But he's the lead singer of Lemon Demon and the guy who made Potter Puppet Pals and he's frigging AWESOME. He handled the pet Ben Franklin prank surprisingly well.

Just don't ask. It's easier that way.
Lolctopus

I met Russel Simmons.. two, three years ago I think. It was during Occupy Wall Street and he'd come to visit the encampment. I was kinda intimidated so I didn't actually speak to him ;-;
I once met John Erickson at a book fair. He's the author of the comedy series Hank The Cowdog.

He let me pick out two of his books and he signed them.

True story.
Casting crowns, OBB, Avalon, Jason Crab. Dove Brothers, Jason Castro, Richard Petty, CALEB (think thats how his names spelled) Erin Hunter (author of the Warriors books)

there's probably more but i forget I also meet a few weather men from my area
Oaky wrote:
I once met John Erickson at a book fair. He's the author of the comedy series Hank The Cowdog.

He let me pick out two of his books and he signed them.

True story.
OH YEAH
I met him too. He signed my Case of the Haystack Kitties book <3

I've also technically met Rick Riordan, author of the Percy Jackson series, at a book fair/art festival. The line was too long so he couldn't sign anything but I was able to listen to the little speaking thing he did about how he got started as a writer and stuff. It was pretty cool.
Lenoria Topic Starter

JOHN ERICKSON I met him in 7th grade, he signed my Hank the CowDog book and I adored him for it.
Lenoria Topic Starter

Hubs also met Charles Barkley and Chuck Norris at his rehab center. He's a lucky donkey. :( He never remembers to get autographs for his poor wife....
when i meet Avalon i was approached by one of the singers... I ended up crying in his arms
I believe I saw Morgan Freeman in a Publix a couple years ago.

He gave me a look because I was staring and asking my friends in a low voice if that was him or not, but I didn't realize I was staring. Anyway, he must've seen me wondering about him and he just gave me this look like...

I can't even explain it, it was hilarious.

It was like he knew what I was thinking.

So it was either Morgan Freeman, or some guy who looked like him and knew it.
Lenoria Topic Starter

MadRatBird wrote:
I believe I saw Morgan Freeman in a Publix a couple years ago.

He gave me a look because I was staring and asking my friends in a low voice if that was him or not, but I didn't realize I was staring. Anyway, he must've seen me wondering about him and he just gave me this look like...

I can't even explain it, it was hilarious.

It was like he knew what I was thinking.

So it was either Morgan Freeman, or some guy who looked like him and knew it.

I just died laughing into my tea.
I've meet the lead coach of the New York Jets for NFL. He's actually like super sweet and talks to all of his fans! <3

I've also meet Carrie Underwood.
I met some very famous football players except I had no idea who they were at first, not being interested in football. Got autographs, though, and a picture with both of them. Just to annoy all the football fans in my life who would get totally envious about it. Also... a very famous multiple olympic medal winner (uninterested again - I was just in the area with a friend who was overjoyed to be able to speak to him, and he was very nice to her), and a famous economist/writer (who was very nice and he signed a book for me).
I met Kid Rock. He lives in either the same town as me or one over, so it's not that big a deal but still. His son also went to the same school I did, which is pretty cool. Not the same year though.
I've met Darren Shan at a book signing, and I've met Wil Francis (William Control, lead singer of Aiden) after one of his concerts. Both are pretty cool guys.
I have an aunt, Cyndi Williams, who's a famous playwright, actress, and occasional voice actor (ever played DC Universe Online? Ever heard Poison Ivy's voice? Queen Bee's? That's her!)

Otherwise, the closest I've ever been is 15 feet away from Bill Murray. He was playing at a golf tournament up in Pebble Beach a few years back. I also knew a man who looked almost exactly like Tommy Lee Jones (and was frequently mistaken to be him!)

My mom has brushed shoulders by accident with the real Mr. Jones, and she and my Dad met some of the Robertsons (yes, of Duck Dynasty fame!) Both incidences, if I remember rightly, occurred at the Love Field airport in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
I met David Draiman once, the lead singer of disturbed. I was getting an autograph after he did his show in Belgium, and I figured it would be a quick signing, no talk, just get your autograph and leave. Turns out Disturbed's lead singer is a swell and humble guy. He asked me how my day went and was a really talkative guy. Of course I didn't linger there, but it was nice to have talked to a musical artist as casually like that.
Lenoria Topic Starter

Rynh wrote:
I met David Draiman once, the lead singer of disturbed. I was getting an autograph after he did his show in Belgium, and I figured it would be a quick signing, no talk, just get your autograph and leave. Turns out Disturbed's lead singer is a swell and humble guy. He asked me how my day went and was a really talkative guy. Of course I didn't linger there, but it was nice to have talked to a musical artist as casually like that.

My husband would LOVE to meet David Draiman. He loves Disturbed.
My folks tell me that when I was a baby, I once encountered Reba McEntire, who then said that I was an adorable baby.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

At Dragon*Con this year, Mark Meer, who voices Commander Shepard in the Mass Effect games was hanging out with fans of the game and he was in Shepard costume for some of that too.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Have you met anyone famous?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus