Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Words that you just can't seem to spell right?

'Prefere.' Why the hell do I place an extra 'E'? Mind you, I have struggled with silhouette myself and 'rumours'. 'Thier!' 'I' before 'E' except after 'C'. Flipping English! Before that bloody dictionary was written nobody cared how to spell correctly!

Mina Moderator

Cieling ...ceiling?...

THE ROOF BUT THE UNDERNEATH PART, INDOORS.
My mom says I spell colour and favourite wrong...
That's a misconception, you are spelling them correctly. The alternative spelling for color and favorite is also correct.
Rogue-Scribe

RussianRxulette wrote:
WinterBlackDraoi wrote:
That's a misconception, you are spelling them correctly. The alternative spelling for color and favorite is also correct.

Yes, the whole UK-English spelling and their pesky useless ‘u’ vowel they love throwing in after the ‘o’ vowel in so many words.....
Rogue-Scribe wrote:
RussianRxulette wrote:
WinterBlackDraoi wrote:

Yes, the whole UK-English spelling and their pesky useless ‘u’ vowel they love throwing in after the ‘o’ vowel in so many words.....

It’s also how we correctly spell it in Canada, eh! 😁 Favourite, neighbourhood, colour, favour, armour, etc. Though both are acceptable. 😛
nessecsary

No wait, let me try that again: necessary

I can never get that one right
Rogue-Scribe

Seperate... separate????
I grew up in French Immersion (here in Canada) where our classes in elementary were half in French, half in English. Means my vocabulary in both languages did not grow as much as my English-only schoolmates, but also means that I'm always confused about whether I'm writing a word the English way, the French way, or if the English word IS the french word. And then there's the American spelling... Forget autocorrect and languages in English defaulting to the American spelling, but there are some words that in Canada are different spellings but in America they are the same.
  • Centre or Center - I mix these up continuously... (I know there is a Canadian difference and I know them in context, but writing them just makes my brain explode)
  • Theatre and Theater - French vs English, I think?
  • Recieved - it LOOKS right this way
  • Feild - again, it LOOKS right (so I call things moors and meadows instead)
  • Proffessor - emailing is sooo fun, always use an autocorrect kids!
  • Quebec - Québec, this I should know! (Someone want to go correct the Wikipedia title?)
Medeval
Nessessary
Dissapper
Agressive
Presense
Occure
Restraunt
Theatre
Have to proof-check those every time I write them.
RussianRxulette wrote:

Is she British or American?
oh, there are alot of words i can never spell right. to start off with, necessary, i doubt i even spelt it right this time tbh, i can never remember how many c's and s's there are. another is definitely, i always think that the e at the start is an i and always forget it's an e at the end and not an a. and then there's the word innappropriate. i give up trying, how many ns and ps does a word need? why should a word be so damn long!?
The word that trips me is thorough. I seem to add the 'u' ofter the first 'o' instead of the second 'o' (thourogh). :s
Luscinioide

Camoflage.

....Camoflague.

<inhales sharply>

.....CAMOFLAUGE.

CAMOUFLAUGE???
So according to spell-check, recepticle is incorrect.

It's receptacle.

Gosh darnit. >.<
Silhouette and vicious always trip me up. I can never place the h in silhouette right without having to go back and fix it, and when typing vicious I always feel like there should be a second s somewhere in the word.

Tho for some words a trick I figured out when spelling it is to say it how it's spelled, not pronounced, where applicable.

Ex. When typing Wednesday, instead of saying or thinking of it as wens-day as I type, I say or think wed-nes-day which helps keep my words right with some words.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Words that you just can't seem to spell right?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus