Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Words that you just can't seem to spell right?

IMMEDIATELY STILL
also impermeable is difficult to comprehend
Kim Site Admin

calendar

I want to spell it calenDER so, so badly.
Folklore wrote:
IMMEDIATELY STILL
also impermeable is difficult to comprehend

I still can’t spell immediately. XD
Shadeslayer45

i for the life of me always fail to spell continue right. i always spell it as countine
ChebaTheBee

Words such as "immersive" and "experience" are something I tend to misspell. Even words like "exception", "exercise" and "criticise". I'd spell them like this: "imerssive", "expirience", "acception", "excersize" and "critisize".
Rogue-Scribe

Kim wrote:
calendar

I want to spell it calenDER so, so badly.
Yes, that one as well ... I swap the 'a' and the 'e' and get calander instead of calendar.
I used to have a lot of problems with definitely....Iridesc demanded their be an 'a' in there. One day an epiphany hit me, and I realized definitely included the root word finite! Soon as I realized that it was just a matter of breaking muscle memory to get it right. Maybe that would help you?

Either way....presence is my big downfall....I always want to swap the 's' and the 'c' which equates to autocorrect changing it to pretense which has never made sense in any sentence I've seen so far.
pixl.Bee

I used to have a major difficulty with effect vs affect (and, okay, sometimes I still do). Like, remembering which one to use in different situations. But then I read something that said "Affect is an action, effect is an end result" and that really helps me to remember.
Section wrote:
necessary, all the variations of it. I can never for the life of me spell it correctly.

Oh, ME. Nessecary... necescary? Necessary?

Necessiate or nesseciate or nessecate, ahhHHH—

Also the word liscense. Or is it license? Lisence? Liscence? What even is English.
Form and From. It may sound quite silly as they are both very simple words, but I always write an e after them making Forme and Frome

luckily I have Grammarly so I don't have to check half the time
Definiinteitly for sure. I never know how to spell that- and affect and effect are words I always mess up AHHH
Infrastructure.... I always forget the first R. I even pronounce it without the R. Infastructure. A little embarrassing since I use the word fairly often in school stuff.

I also tend to pronounce and spell permanent as pernament. And when I'm tired I often misspell "and" as "end".
Rogue-Scribe

That archaic U.S. temperature measurement scale of Fahrenheit. Usually autocorrection fixes it, but if left up to me, it gets an extra ‘t’ between the ‘n’ and the ‘h’.
One word that comes to mind on this topic is the word "Disappointed."

Every time I try to spell it, I get it wrong, and then it gets corrected to "Disappointingly" I'm not sure why but I can just never spell it correctly the first time.

Also, the word "apparently" use to give me a lot of trouble. Now I only get it wrong half the time instead of all the time.
Lumaslily

Argument without adding an extra ‘e’
Criticism, definitely (though not much any more), truly (I always want to spell truely), assistance, occasionally, and others, though I don't know the whole list XD
Claine Moderator

Shiloette
Schiloette
Shilloette

:(

That one
embarrassing? i can never figure out how many r’s and s’s there are supposed to be
There's a lot, but the one I can think of at the moment is "pursue."

I always want to spell it "persue," and then all the things that recognize it's wrong only ever suggest replacing it with "peruse."
Rogue-Scribe

Claine wrote:
Shiloette
Schiloette
Shilloette

:(

That one
Oh yeah, that word... silhouette ... I tend to forget the ‘h’ as the fourth letter and put it as the fifth letter after the ‘o’... as in ‘silohuette’ ...

Then there is the whole UK/USA English Language differences with the use of ‘z’ and ‘s’, and that pesky useless ‘u’ vowel the English love throwing in after the ‘o’ vowel in so many words..... but that isn’t misspelling per-se.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Words that you just can't seem to spell right?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus