Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » RP Pet Peeves

What ticks you off? Having someone flake on you, or not do any of the worldbuilding, or do all of the worldbuilding without asking for your input? Well, welcome to RP therapy, in which you can spill the tea. Whatever’s pushing your buttons, we want to hear all about it.

Of course, this isn’t a place to bash! Kindness and communication is key. If you have a problem with someone in particular, talk to them, or get a mod.
Hi Sparkles,

The topic was pretty thoroughly covered in this thread: Pet Peves in characters and/or RP

I'm not sure if there was another similar like it, but it tends to get things heated and players possibly feeling defensive if their likes and play styles come up on someone's pet peeve list.

I have my play list styles on most of my characters and an overall one for a guide I created when brainstorming with RP friends on Discord. I tend to look for players with similar play styles to try and avoid pet peeves rearing up. :)
Rogue-Scribe

This topic has come up semi-regularly over the years:
The year 2018 wins the prize as having the most Pet Peeves!
Years 2011, 2012, 2015, 2019, & 2020 nobody had any Pet Peeves I guess. ;)
@Rogue-Scribe, the "Years Without Pet Peeves List". LOL that gave me a good chuckle. XD

Great lists! :)
I don't like when someone ask me to pick their character for them.
Haha, why break a trend? We've not had peeves since 2018!

This was more common on facebook, but I always hated when things *required* character biography skeletons (e.i Hair color: brown eye color: red). I've just seen very few that actually made a character anymore compelling just bc they're such a sparse way to describe your character. Worse case scenario, someone's lack of grasp on more complex things like weight and all that make them a little less convincing haha.
Now that I think about it my first answer wasn't so bad. What I actually dislike is romance being a non-negotiable hard requirement.
Hm. I think my main pet peeve is when someone wants to RP a lot, then flakes, and then winds up leaving an adopt in my lap? It's a heads or tails situation on how much I can work on the new character adopted. Like if I had a muse for the character before the adopt, it works great. But if I've got not muse for the character before the adopt, the character winds up dead in the water? Which kinda makes me feel sad inside because it then reminds me of how the other person probably felt at the time before flaking. It's a bit of a strange thing to go through.
i'm too tired to make a whole long thought out post, so here it is bluntly i guess.

when someone doesn't know the difference between piques and peaks.
or then and than. things like that. but mostly those two.
CheshireMitsu

Early bumps (especially when it's after like 15 min) and people who go through a million 5-minute mini plots all focused on their character
CheshireMitsu wrote:
Early bumps (especially when it's after like 15 min) and people who go through a million 5-minute mini plots all focused on their character

omg ive blocked ppl over early bumps before, because like bro, if u spam me every hour on the hour because i haven't replied once a day every day, (after being told i cant be on everyday) youre obviously gonna get blocked or ignored at least. people have lives.

some of us, anyway
CheshireMitsu

crimsonfaerie wrote:
CheshireMitsu wrote:

omg ive blocked ppl over early bumps before, because like bro, if u spam me every hour on the hour because i haven't replied once a day every day, (after being told i cant be on everyday) youre obviously gonna get blocked or ignored at least. people have lives.

some of us, anyway

I had a rp with someone that literally bumped every 15 minutes, and when I got online in the morning, I would have multiple bumps. That rp was over
CheshireMitsu wrote:
I had a rp with someone that literally bumped every 15 minutes, and when I got online in the morning, I would have multiple bumps. That rp was over

istg all those people have to be like 10 or smth because any person with common sense knows that people cant be active all the time. every 15 minutes is insanity,
CheshireMitsu

crimsonfaerie wrote:
CheshireMitsu wrote:

istg all those people have to be like 10 or smth because any person with common sense knows that people cant be active all the time. every 15 minutes is insanity,

Yeah I know it was bad, at least it was a one-liner rp, would have been worse as para or multipara
When people force relationships on characters to a ridiculous degree or when they time skip constantly without even checking in with the other person to see if they want a time skip.

As well as people that expect you to write whole essays as a reply and complain because it's too short if you missed by one paragraph.

Sorry I can't describe every little detail about the characters life in every single reply lmao
crimsonfaerie wrote:
i'm too tired to make a whole long thought out post, so here it is bluntly i guess.

This is a big thing where I live just because then and than are pronounced the same in our accent 😂😂 I don’t remember having the difference really hammered into me until 8th grade or maybe longer
Mysteria (played anonymously)

Controlling my character

making your character omnipotent without a reason (meaning just because)

controlling my character

Not helping to create plot.

controlling my character

1-2 liners with no point.

Controlling my character.

Romance with no plot

Controlling my Character.

Having no ideas whatsoever and never contributing to plot/world

Controlling my character....
Mysteria (played anonymously)

crimsonfaerie wrote:

Unfortunately some people may not know the difference and in other cases they have Aphasia. many will not admit it or even be aware. In our minds we believe we typed the correct form of the word but we didn't. We were thinking read but spelled red. We were thinking their but spelled there.

We constantly have to check for these errors and sometimes they can get missed. Many times even when we read it again our mind reads it the correct way and the error can be overlooked. Many are not even aware this is an issue for them.

I can completely understand how it can be frustrating though as it frustrates me having aphasia. I try to avoid making errors like that but I know at times I look back and go what the hell that's not what I meant.

Just giving a view from the other perspective. Still a Peeve is a Peeve.
Folklore wrote:
character biography skeletons (e.i Hair color: brown eye color: red). I've just seen very few that actually made a character anymore compelling just bc they're such a sparse way to describe your character.

It's a shame these so often fall short of their potential. One place I see it a lot is with likes/dislikes. "Dislikes: rude people". We all do, is there a kind of rude person they deal with more than others? Know-it-all scientists, nosy reporters, entitled customers? What if something that's usually a dislike is a like instead? I still do them a lot because they're a nice way to put rows on a bio, so if it ever feels like I'm just getting it over with I go back and see if I can really personalize it or foreshadow something fun.
sland wrote:
Folklore wrote:
character biography skeletons (e.i Hair color: brown eye color: red). I've just seen very few that actually made a character anymore compelling just bc they're such a sparse way to describe your character.

It's a shame these so often fall short of their potential. One place I see it a lot is with likes/dislikes. "Dislikes: rude people". We all do, is there a kind of rude person they deal with more than others? Know-it-all scientists, nosy reporters, entitled customers? What if something that's usually a dislike is a like instead? I still do them a lot because they're a nice way to put rows on a bio, so if it ever feels like I'm just getting it over with I go back and see if I can really personalize it or foreshadow something fun.
As someone new to this site, I can see why characters can come out like this. The registration and setup process prompts practically pushes you into creating a character right away and it’s hard to come up with deep details when coming into a new site and not sure how things work yet.

As for pet peeves, after a week and several attempts to get roleplays started, I have been ghosted twice and am making slow progress on getting something started with a couple people as we go through the OOC process. Having a hectic and erratic work schedule, I like to casually roleplay in my down time to help take my mind off the real world. If it becomes too much work and all I’m doing is putting my time in trying to make an acceptable character and get something started, I’ll likely go and find something or somewhere else to spend my minutes. Sorry, this was a mini vent.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » RP Pet Peeves

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus