Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION

ShadowFlame2022

Coriander is an annual herb in the family Apiaceae. It is also known as Chinese parsley, dhania or cilantro. All parts of the plant are edible, but the fresh leaves and the dried seeds are the parts most traditionally used in cooking.
The Internet wrote:
While both come from the same plant, they have different uses and tastes. Cilantro is the the leaves and stems of the coriander plant. When the plant flowers and turns seed the seeds are called coriander seeds. Cilantro is also the Spanish word for coriander.
Coriander. Wikipedia article says so.
Rogue-Scribe

When I lived in the United States I called it ‘cilantro’, and the spice was Coriander (both ground and whole seed). Here in Australia it’s all ‘coriander’.

JayBird wrote:
My opinion is for sale to whichever side is against those hop-drunk IPA lovers, though. Go drink a pine tree!
Hey! I miss those face-ripping bitter hop beers. Very disappointed in what the craft breweries are churning out under the IPA badge these days… all these ‘Hazy’, ‘East Coast’ ‘West Coast’ ‘sour’ … bleh! Go pour yourself some lemon juice or overly sweet (put fruit name here) juice. Finding a good ol’ dank bitter what used to be billed as ‘new world’ IPA is getting harder and harder.
I've always assumed it's 'cilantro' in the Americas and 'coriander' everywhere else. Actually I had to Google 'coriander' because I wasn't actually sure what it was The stuff still tastes like exceptionally poisonous soap and makes me feel ill but I'd argue it's not the plant's fault. Because it's some kind of genetic thing that I won't pretend to understand.

Now fennel on the other hand... Fennel was concocted in the deepest regions of the demon realm at the edge of the universe and sent across the stars fueled by bitter hatred and purest evil, specifically with the intent of some cosmic entity of eternal suffering to make you bite down on a fennel seed while eating an otherwise perfectly safe meal, instantly ruining your entire day and giving you trust issues about nefarious hidden seeds lurking in your food, waiting...
I love fennel! <3
Look, Petro, my dude, my guy- while I do appreciate your support in this diabolical battle against these coriander-loving heathens, I cannot tolerate fennel slander, man.

Fr people, fennel is big-boy-word'ing KICK-ASS! Put it in your risotto with some fat-ass prawns, eat it with your piece of nicely grilled salmon steak or chop it up and have it as a sweet, crisp counterforce to an otherwise amazing but heavy-on-the-tongue piece of pork belly! It's one culinary son of a gun, a great addition to any dish, a free and fresh bite that breathes air and life into your food-exhausted mouth and motivates you to keep on chomping on that giant piece of whatever you're having alongside it.

Plus, it smells like anise, what's not to like?

And @IPA-slander.. uhh, I dunno, I've heard the beer culture in the US/New World leaves some to be desired in general so I ain't gonna judge on that. IPAs over here though, they're prime! Who cares that it's hipster drink, it's a lot cooler than a glass of watered-down pilsner anyway.
Rogue-Scribe

Petrovalyc wrote:
Now fennel on the other hand... Fennel was concocted in the deepest regions of the demon realm at the edge of the universe and sent across the stars fueled by bitter hatred and purest evil, specifically with the intent of some cosmic entity of eternal suffering to make you bite down on a fennel seed while eating an otherwise perfectly safe meal, instantly ruining your entire day and giving you trust issues about nefarious hidden seeds lurking in your food, waiting...
Not to into fennel the plant in my food., but fennel the seed is a staple in my herb-and-spices pantry. Use in moderation.

@Garnaal... I'm assuming by 'over here', youre referring to the UK and their 'proper' IPAs?
Rogue-Scribe wrote:
Petrovalyc wrote:
Not to into fennel the plant in my food., but fennel the seed is a staple in my herb-and-spices pantry. Use in moderation.

@Garnaal... I'm assuming by 'over here', youre referring to the UK and their 'proper' IPAs?

Nah, nah, I'm from the Netherlands and they're pretty damn good here. Dunno if any of the brands we have here are universal, though, that's why I said that.
Rogue-Scribe

GarnaalProductions wrote:
Nah, nah, I'm from the Netherlands and they're pretty damn good here. Dunno if any of the brands we have here are universal, though, that's why I said that.
Ah, Netherlands, yes. Managed to get my hands on some Oedipus Gaia IPA (don't ask) and they were pretty good.
Ok, no. People. You good, gravely misinformed people.
This (nsfw)
thisisnotfood.gif

This is not food.

This is an alien seed pod of explosive, ungodly suffering. An evil, conniving intruder upon this realm of reality which was never meant to exist, let alone be consumed. It is literally designed to seek out your gag reflex and bite it. It exists solely for the purpose of depriving the entire universe of any taste but that of itself. If you saw it on your counter, you'd smack it with a shoe. It looks like something you'd see in high-definition under an electron microscope and not be able to eat for a week because you never imagined what horrible monstrosities were lurking inside your sausage.

We must rally against this menace. It seeks to destroy our society from within. We cannot let the nefarious Fennel Seed divide us. It must be banished, returned to the black pits of madness from whence it came, or all is lost. Think of the sausages. Think of all the poor, innocent children who have accidentally made PB&J sandwiches on rye, and bitten down on a mouthful of fennel seeds and grape jelly, and immediately turned to hard drugs from the trauma.

The same applies to caraway. They are one in the same, evil twins. They must be exterminated for the good of all humankind. It's only a matter of time before they find their way into all your favorite foods, ruining them forever. There will be oceans of them, fennel floods of biblical proportions. We cannot let this heinous abomination threaten our way of life. Friends don't let friends fall to fennel.

Actual footage of fennel seeds being shot through space on a collision course with your gag reflex, circa the beginning of time. (colorized)
itcamefromouterspace.gif
Comrade, I think you severely underestimate the chances of some us actually being aliens.

Just sayin'.
Petrovalyc wrote:
Because it's some kind of genetic thing that I won't pretend to understand.

Yup! My girlfriend's mother passed the gene to my girlfriend, but her brother didn't get the gene!

Funny story about fennel: It grows wild all over Camp Pendleton in CA, and when I was in basic with the Muscles-Are-Required-Intelligence-Not-Expected's, and we were doing hikes and marches all up and down the hills and such (I was a little Jaybird in CO, I refuse to call them mountains), I'd just snatch a handful of fennel right off the side of the trail and pop it into my mouth and start chewing. My fellow recruits were like "What the [farm] are you doing?!" and I'd just tell them that it was fennel and that it was good. Pretty sure that the DI's knew that I was doing it (they're like preternaturally eagle-eyed) but were just so baffled by it that they didn't do anything to me.

Now I've been surprised by some IPAs. Hell, there's even a double IPA that's pretty tasty, but like 98% of the American craft beer movement these days seems to be IPAs, and it's generally accepted wisdom at this point that American IPAs are code talk for "We made an absolute dog's egg of a beer so we put a hot mess of hops in it to cover up how bland and crappy it is."
Hit me with a bock, some lagers, red ales, wheats, pilsners, shandies, stouts. Anything interesting and well made.
But just to prove that my opinion is trash: I love Bud Light Lime
Banshee wrote:
NEW QUESTION

Is it "Cilantro" or "Coriander"?

Both. Cilantro is the herb, coriander is the seeds.
...I, uh... I love coriander. Makes a dish pop. Cilantro is okay, I guess. I can taste a hint of the soap flavor, but not enough to put me off entirely. Fennel? ...I've never tasted it, but the scent is enough to put me off for weeks.
cilantro >>> coriander
Rogue-Scribe

Looky what arrived early this morning with my fresh fruit & vegetable delivery!

Coriander!

uVU8TPI.jpg

It’s Pico de Gallo time!
Banshee Topic Starter

Rogue-Scribe wrote:
Looky what arrived early this morning with my fresh fruit & vegetable delivery!

Coriander!

uVU8TPI.jpg

It’s Pico de Gallo time!

I hope you choke on your coriander

(This is all in good jest in case I come off as aggressive hhhhh)
Banshee Topic Starter

ok
can i bring coriander tho

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus