Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » The Project

Gabrielle Nelson (played by Blu_Dino)

Pantrane wrote:
I like the alien races and everything, but its starting to feel like this is just going to be a sci-fi thing and there is nothing we can do about it. It's going to be hard to blend fantasy with year 40,000 sci-fi. What is the point of having elves and goblins? I get it that some people are sci-fi fans. We just have to ask if we really want to make this an equal blend of fantasy and sci-fi or if we just want to jump to sci-fi as far in the future as possible.

I am making a major tweak to my character for this. Basically recreating him. It may be more fun to work on something new as opposed to just bringing old characters from other worlds... This is THIS world. THIS RP, this group... You know?

Ya. What i'm trying to think about is maybe some stuff that are kind of machines BUT powered BY magic. (Kind of Fairy Tail cars!). And also other stuff. But right now, i really have to think for ideas.
Pantrane Topic Starter

I mean there can be technology, there can be space travel. But what is the fun if everything is limitless, things are as advanced as possible and there are infinite and ever changing cultures around it.

Just like anything and everything shouldn't be possible in magic. There should be limits and rituals and quests. It shouldn't be about just a bunch of people hanging out being omnipotent. The glory is in the challenges, the building, the aquisition. If not, what are we going to write about?

That's why a lot of forum rps end. It's also why some RPs go on for months or years. The ones that do probably have a solid base set. A lot of them end up a little dull because anything is possible and once interaction slows down, it's over... I want this to be such a lasting world that even if people leave, others can immediately sense the feeling of the culture and join in.

It will be hard to set up these new races and then expect everyone to know or remember them if those players leave. But if they happen to fit a character or two, feel free to include them. But let's try to push for the original concept of fantasy races in space.

My character is unique. He could be seen as an alien race. But he is also basically a drow-type elf in design. It's that blending that makes this universe.

Pantrane wrote:
I mean there can be technology, there can be space travel. But what is the fun if everything is limitless, things are as advanced as possible and there are infinite and ever changing cultures around it.

Just like anything and everything shouldn't be possible in magic. There should be limits and rituals and quests. It shouldn't be about just a bunch of people hanging out being omnipotent. The glory is in the challenges, the building, the aquisition. If not, what are we going to write about?

That's why a lot of forum rps end. It's also why some RPs go on for months or years. The ones that do probably have a solid base set. A lot of them end up a little dull because anything is possible and once interaction slows down, it's over... I want this to be such a lasting world that even if people leave, others can immediately sense the feeling of the culture and join in.

It will be hard to set up these new races and then expect everyone to know or remember them if those players leave. But if they happen to fit a character or two, feel free to include them. But let's try to push for the original concept of fantasy races in space.

My character is unique. He could be seen as an alien race. But he is also basically a drow-type elf in design. It's that blending that makes this universe.

HECK YAAA! We should think of an energy that is NOT limitless (like you said) but can achieve alot of things. Such as (long) space traveling or other stuff. Kind of like fuel i would say? Anybody agrees? Maybe i'm just useless in this idea :P
May I suggest using mana for that energy?
Pantrane Topic Starter

Oh you mean as far as power and how it relates to magic? I just had a random idea that sounds cool. Maybe it's an energy we just call mana. We get that mana from the elements, based on whatever powers are generated by nature. That way nature is important and the career of natural force chasing mage is created. It also provides a connection between nature, magic and technology.

Pantrane wrote:
Oh you mean as far as power and how it relates to magic? I just had a random idea that sounds cool. Maybe it's an energy we just call mana. We get that mana from the elements, based on whatever powers are generated by nature. That way nature is important and the career of natural force chasing mage is created. It also provides a connection between nature, magic and technology.

Sounds like a good way to keep balance between everything!
And if people generate mana it could result in some pretty interesting villains who steal mana to sell on the black market.
Also got an idea for one of my characters, but I'll need to explain us when I'm at my laptop.
Pantrane Topic Starter

It sounds good. It will also help us define the features. You would imagine that every time there is a lightning storm people would run out and try to gather what mana they could. Then they would sell it at the market or trade it for natural goods like food. Plus it would help define the landscape and climate. Because what are the natural features? Like a volcano somewhere on the planet could be a major setting for a fire mage.

I really don't mean to seem controlling at times. Just trust me people, have faith. :) Let me show you how sometimes, when you start from the complete beginning, stories can write themselves! And when that happens, you want to see where the story will go. This is going to be epic.
Pantrane Topic Starter

Also, if you have inspiration, use that. Don't let me talk anybody out of their inspiration. If you believe in your vision and it may be something that is more sci-fi or is a little different then go with it. Especially if you truly believe it will make the story better.

Pantrane wrote:
It sounds good. It will also help us define the features. You would imagine that every time there is a lightning storm people would run out and try to gather what mana they could. Then they would sell it at the market or trade it for natural goods like food. Plus it would help define the landscape and climate. Because what are the natural features? Like a volcano somewhere on the planet could be a major setting for a fire mage.

I really don't mean to seem controlling at times. Just trust me people, have faith. :) Let me show you how sometimes, when you start from the complete beginning, stories can write themselves! And when that happens, you want to see where the story will go. This is going to be epic.

Dont worry! At no times i have felt controlled. XD
Pantrane Topic Starter

If anything, maybe its a new way to make a cool new alien race. Imagine your take on your favorite fantasy race. What if a cyclops was actually some advanced one eyed alien race? Or maybe some sort of minotaur. Or orc or who knows what.. It could be fun.

Pantrane wrote:
If anything, maybe its a new way to make a cool new alien race. Imagine your take on your favorite fantasy race. What if a cyclops was actually some advanced one eyed alien race? Or maybe some sort of minotaur. Or orc or who knows what.. It could be fun.

Ya!
TheHero1208

I'm getting EXTREMELY excited for this RP, but I may end up using one of my already made characters, or making an entirely new one for this RP. Maybe he can have some sort of Mana detector that can be worn as a full head piece, or on one eye, I'm still deciding XD But truly, I'm very, very interested in this. Liek realla bruh....
Finally at my computer! Okay anyways, here's my diea

In spore I made a race called the Paliush. They're supposed to be a wandering race since their home world was destroyed after their sun died. They however kept the plant and wildlife on their home planet from going extinct with biome ships, a combination of Magic, Tech, and Nature. The Biome ships are massive ships that contain, well, varying biomes as wel las small settlements for the occupants and such. The tech aspect comes from the ship itself. The nature coems in from the plants, animals, and large chunks of terrain taken from their homeworld before the sun went supernova. And the magic comes in with fueling the ship, and simulating natural occurances(Ex. Rain, sun light, winds, etc.)

Does that sound like a good idea?
Pantrane Topic Starter

I'm loving it! I also like that sort of green energy sort of technology and worldview. I think it fits well. The world is starting to come together! You know what, I have a little time. I'll start working on a group. There is still a lot I have to decide about my character. But I'm going to let him write himself.

I also like the idea of mana collectors and sensors. Of course there will have to be mana collecting devices and gadgets. Tons of room for inventor type characters or for people to just add technology to the canon.

And probably an army and need for tons of mana collecting robots. Someone builds robots right? See? It's writing itself! It is a hidden power of the human mind, I think. You would be surprised what happesns if you reset your mind and just start from the beginning. But of course, that's why I believe in magic... Sort of.. lol
Thanks owo I also plan to use Sarkaras in the rp. Maybe even her daughter Condolette.

Their kind are basically alien Amazons called K'zayl. Their normally very bulky(Though different races with different builds in their species exist) and have a warrior mentality. Unlike most aliens that are in space, the K'zayl are still in their tribal/dark ages stage of sentience. As such very few use guns and most still sue spears, swords, and shields. Their technology is very primitive and they rely heavily on shamanistic magic. They are very resilient being built to survive being beaten with in an inch of their life(95% of the predators on their world specialize in crushing prey)
Pantrane Topic Starter

I have an idea based on the way the forum is turning out. The original two topics will be the cities themselves. Most of the general posting should happen there.

To keep things in order, how about this? Everyone can start two topics. Each player gets to establish a topic for their home and one for this business. Whatever those two topics are is up to the player. If they want their home to be a ship and their business to be another ship, then they could have two ships.

I plan on making my trade shop my business. As far as home, I won't focus on that yet. But I'm going to post mostly in the city. I wrote a brief write up in the topic for the upper city. About to write a brief one for the lower city... Then I'll edit the intro page.. After that, it should open up for posting! :)
Pantrane Topic Starter

http://www.rprepository.com/group/group.php?gID=1212

Here is the group. It's just a start. I can add onto the initial posts in the forum with more details as we go on. Same with the intro page. Try to join or tell me the name of the character I should invite.
I think we should have the forums set based on where they occur, rather than have a business forum and a home ofrum for our characters.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » The Project

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus