Skip to main content

Forums » Introductions » Greetings from a Newbie Roleplayer! <3

bloomien

Hi everyone!

I'm bloomien, though feel free to call me Miena! (or 'bloo' or 'mien' or 'bloomien')

To be really honest, I'm rather shy about myself and putting myself out there (I'm admittedly a lurker on most platforms), so writing this post/topic would actually be the last thing I'd do. However, I decided to just write this anyway and post it, since it's almost the new year and I feel like being a bit braver with putting myself out there more! ;-; <3

I'm quite new to roleplaying in general, including how things work in RPR, so I'm looking forward to explore more of this site, the RP and the community more! I got into RP through watching my favourite Twitch streamer RP for a few months now, and I couldn't help but be amazed at how roleplaying allows people to create storylines, play different characters and build worlds together in a way that's simple but complex at the same time!

With that, I've decided to join RPR mainly to start a new hobby for myself! I'm a huge workaholic (I'm an illustrator!), and it can get quite internally taxing when your work is drawing and your hobby is drawing as well so I'd love to pursue something in my free time that's more interactive and immersive but creative at the same time! And in general too, I'd really like to just expand my interests and widen my views about things! Writing has also always been a major part of my life growing up, and so it's really cool that RP is really just a large combination of everything creative!

A few questions I have about RPR:
I haven't joined any groups or RP-ed in anything yet, but upon browsing through RPR and trying to learn on how things work, how do you join a RP that you're interested in? Is it through 'Reply', 'Launch Chat', or others?

And so, let's say I've joined a RP that I'm interested in, do I have to use any of the existing characters that I made or can/should I make up a character on the spot that fits the world/genre/scenario best? (And let's say I have to make a new character for a RP that I'm joining, do I have to make a whole character profile for it?) I hope these questions make sense?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read through this post if you did! :) Hope to RP here soon! <3
Welcome Miena! From everything you said, I suspect you'll enjoy the RP hobby! :)

bloomien wrote:
I haven't joined any groups or RP-ed in anything yet, but upon browsing through RPR and trying to learn on how things work, how do you join a RP that you're interested in? Is it through 'Reply', 'Launch Chat', or others?

There's a mix! Generally, folks start with the Looking for RP sub-forum. That's where members who are actively recruiting for new players post their ideas/prompts/etc. Some of these are intended for 1x1 RPs. (Meaning just yourself and a writing partner). 1x1s tend to utilize the site's private messaging feature. Though some people choose to RP in other locations (discord is popular choice). If you find one you're interested in, generally hit the 'Reply' button. Sometimes, the poster will specifically ask you to Private Message them. (In which case, click on their profile, then the 'Send Message' link under their name.)

Others are intended to be a group game. Sometimes, these group games take place via the IC (in-character) forums:

Other times (maybe because it's a large story arc that will require multiple forum threads OR because the members might want some more mature content such as swearing, strong violence, or sexual themes) the RP takes place via one of RPR's groups.

bloomien wrote:
And so, let's say I've joined a RP that I'm interested in, do I have to use any of the existing characters that I made or can/should I make up a character on the spot that fits the world/genre/scenario best? (And let's say I have to make a new character for a RP that I'm joining, do I have to make a whole character profile for it?) I hope these questions make sense?

That depends completely upon the original creator of the RP! Some will have strict character requirements. Others are a little more willing to work to fit an existing character into the game if they can.

Hopefully some of that helped. :) Also, check out the Getting Started Guide.
Hi, Bloomein!! Welcome to RPR!! I'm glad you were a little braver and made this post, I know first hand that it can be hard to get out there!

Reply and Launch Chat effectively allow you to do the same thing - simply post a new comment on the forum you're on! Launch Chat simple changes the window so you're able to use it more like a chat site where it automatically shows you new replies to the forum.

I personally do not and likely will never have a single-character profile and basically all my spaces now go to Misc Character biographies or Worlds I'm creating.. Some things do require that a profile for a character, but I've met relatively few people who care either way.
Hi Miena, welcome to the site! I hope you're settling in okay. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask as there are a ton of friendly people around that are willing to help out with anything you may need - as seen above. Cheers to making new friends and finding lots of fun RPs!
LakotaSiouxWarrior

Hello and welcome to RPRepository.
Deumeawyn

Welcome Miena!
I personally RP through Private Message one-on-one. I got involved in them through various means. A good place to look is the looking for rp forum and see if anything posted piques your interest. You may want to start by using the character function and create some characters from your imagination!

Everyone is quite helpful here, si don't be shy to ask questions! :)
23e4f4e447a299fe0a26c27247e0d7ab.gif

Hi there! I'm Hibari.
It's nice to meet you and WELCOME TO RPR!
I hope you're enjoying your stay so far. HAVE FUN!
AmberShades

Bonsoir, Mon Ami! Welcome To RPR! :D If You Have Anymore Questions, Or Any RP Ideas, Don't Be Afraid To Ask! Happy Writings! <3
Hello Miena!

I'm a freelance artist so I know how being a workaholic goes! It's wonderful to see you've joined RPR and I think you'll find the site and community quite to your liking!! There's so many people I've met who are shy, but all equally just as wonderful if not more so! I've also become something of a twitch audience for twitch streamers, primarily games at first but I do really enjoy watching the roleplay aspect as well!

Recently, some friends and I have been world building around Red Dead Redemption 2 and have a fun canon going on with out RDR2 characters whenever we play online pc. Such fun!! I still find that you coming from twitch and being inspired by character creation and world building is so awesome!!

Welcome to RPR and feel free to dm me! c:
Welcome to RPR, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
welcome to RPR, happy writing!
bloomien Topic Starter

Juls wrote:
Welcome Miena! From everything you said, I suspect you'll enjoy the RP hobby! :)

bloomien wrote:

There's a mix! Generally, folks start with the Looking for RP sub-forum. That's where members who are actively recruiting for new players post their ideas/prompts/etc. Some of these are intended for 1x1 RPs. (Meaning just yourself and a writing partner). 1x1s tend to utilize the site's private messaging feature. Though some people choose to RP in other locations (discord is popular choice). If you find one you're interested in, generally hit the 'Reply' button. Sometimes, the poster will specifically ask you to Private Message them. (In which case, click on their profile, then the 'Send Message' link under their name.)

Others are intended to be a group game. Sometimes, these group games take place via the IC (in-character) forums:

Other times (maybe because it's a large story arc that will require multiple forum threads OR because the members might want some more mature content such as swearing, strong violence, or sexual themes) the RP takes place via one of RPR's groups.

bloomien wrote:

That depends completely upon the original creator of the RP! Some will have strict character requirements. Others are a little more willing to work to fit an existing character into the game if they can.

Hopefully some of that helped. :) Also, check out the Getting Started Guide.

Hi Juls!

Oh my gosh, thank you so, so much for the thorough explanations in your response! I can't thank you enough, I really appreciate you taking the time to write all of that! <3 Your advice really helped me out by giving me an idea on how to navigate through forums, RPs, etc., so again thank you for that! :')

I hope you'll have a lovely day ahead! And Happy New Years too! May 2020 be a year of good health and happiness for you!
bloomien Topic Starter

Mejasoulfruit wrote:
Hi, Bloomein!! Welcome to RPR!! I'm glad you were a little braver and made this post, I know first hand that it can be hard to get out there!

Reply and Launch Chat effectively allow you to do the same thing - simply post a new comment on the forum you're on! Launch Chat simple changes the window so you're able to use it more like a chat site where it automatically shows you new replies to the forum.

I personally do not and likely will never have a single-character profile and basically all my spaces now go to Misc Character biographies or Worlds I'm creating.. Some things do require that a profile for a character, but I've met relatively few people who care either way.

Hi Mejasoulfruit!

Thank you so much for taking the time answer and for the advices too! :') I truly appreciate it! I've tested out some 'Reply's and 'Launch Chat's, and I sort of understand what you mean now! That's really cool!

Also, I just wanted to say that it's really creative and clever for you to use the character slots of Misc Character Biographies or Worlds! That's a tip I'll keep in mind for the future!

Again, thank you for your response! I hope you'll have a lovely day ahead, and Happy New Years as well! <3
bloomien Topic Starter

Somnom wrote:
Hi Miena, welcome to the site! I hope you're settling in okay. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask as there are a ton of friendly people around that are willing to help out with anything you may need - as seen above. Cheers to making new friends and finding lots of fun RPs!

Hi Somnom!

Ahh, thank you sooo much for your warm welcome! I really do appreciate it! :') I wish you a Happy New Year, and a lovely day/night ahead!

LakotaSiouxWarrior wrote:
Hello and welcome to RPRepository.

Hello to you too, Lakota! Thank you so much ahh!

HibariHaru013 wrote:
23e4f4e447a299fe0a26c27247e0d7ab.gif

Hi there! I'm Hibari.
It's nice to meet you and WELCOME TO RPR!
I hope you're enjoying your stay so far. HAVE FUN!

Hi Hibari! Omgg it's lovely to meet you too! Thank youu for your warm welcome! I appreciate it loads! <3

AmberShades wrote:
Bonsoir, Mon Ami! Welcome To RPR! :D If You Have Anymore Questions, Or Any RP Ideas, Don't Be Afraid To Ask! Happy Writings! <3

Hello Amber! :')) Ahh, you're so sweet! Thank you so much for the welcome! I hope you'll have a lovely day/night ahead! <3

Kruhee wrote:
Welcome to RPR, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Hi Kruhee! Thank you so, so much for the welcome! And I wish you a happy, happy new year toooo! :')

khaellar wrote:
welcome to RPR, happy writing!

Hey Khaellar! Thank youu so much! I appreciate it! :) I hope you'll have a lovely day/night ahead!
bloomien Topic Starter

Deumeawyn wrote:
Welcome Miena!
I personally RP through Private Message one-on-one. I got involved in them through various means. A good place to look is the looking for rp forum and see if anything posted piques your interest. You may want to start by using the character function and create some characters from your imagination!

Everyone is quite helpful here, si don't be shy to ask questions! :)

Hi Deumeawyn!

Gosh, thank you so, so much for taking the time to reply with your suggestions! It really did help me out a lot (esp for the 'Looking for RP' forum, to allow me to see what RP is there!)

I appreciate this so much! :') Thank you again, and I hope you'll have a wonderful day/night ahead! <3

Marius wrote:
Hello Miena!

I'm a freelance artist so I know how being a workaholic goes! It's wonderful to see you've joined RPR and I think you'll find the site and community quite to your liking!! There's so many people I've met who are shy, but all equally just as wonderful if not more so! I've also become something of a twitch audience for twitch streamers, primarily games at first but I do really enjoy watching the roleplay aspect as well!

Recently, some friends and I have been world building around Red Dead Redemption 2 and have a fun canon going on with our RDR2 characters whenever we play online pc. Such fun!! I still find that you coming from twitch and being inspired by character creation and world building is so awesome!!

Welcome to RPR and feel free to dm me! c:

Hi Marius! And ahh, a fellow freelance artist! It's lovely to meet you, and thank you so, so much for taking the time to reply!

Everyone on RPR has been super friendly to me so far, and it's really just been great tbh! It's interesting to explore the different forums and see what everyone's been up to too!

And omgg, it's so cool that you and your friends have been world-building in RDR2! (It's a huge map as well, so the plentiful areas that you could travel to and discover is just !!!!!)

Thank you so much once again for your warm welcome! :') I really appreciate it, and I wish you a happy new year as well! <3
Hello and welcome to the RPR

A lovely community with amazing people! I hope you have much fun on this site!

giphy.gif
I hope you have a bloody great time here!

You are on: Forums » Introductions » Greetings from a Newbie Roleplayer! <3

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus