Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Official Masquerade Topic - Winter 2020

The Duchess (played by Kim) Topic Starter

One hand thrusts out from under the sheet, making wild beckoning motions, clearly asking for a drink to be put into the grasping fingers. There is an audible sigh of relief and pleasure as a goblet is finally proferred, and the cup disappears immediately under the sheet.

"Thank goodness, thank fondness, ye generous soul, you've done the kindness of filling our bowl, so deep and mired, entrenched in our art, ye forgot not to do your part. We bow to your wit and wisdom both and to leave this gathering we three are loath, but time has come and duty done, there will be others to join in your fun."

The motion of the sheet makes clear that the cup is raised to the first performer's lips; then the cup hits the grass, and the front figure joins its friends in swaying... then they each collapse, apparently in a drunker stupor, but there is no sound of bodies hitting the ground. Instead, the sheet flutters, utterly empty, and the horse's skull thumps and its teeth clatter as it falls unsupported. There is no trace of the three drunk people.

The circle of bouncing foodstuffs that had trapped Annette goes still and lays there innocently, as if they arrived in their places on the lawn in a perfectly normal, not at all silly manner.

The duchess has been watching from nearby with a wry grin and a glitter in her eyes. She applauds lightly as the empty sheet floats down. "Well done, my friends! If it's drunk, it can't rhyme. That's a perfectly acceptable solution to a Mari Lwyd... Unfortunately, there's no telling how much it will take to get it that way." She pauses, reflecting on all the barrels of wine that went missing in the encounter. "Otherwise, it takes quite a lot of rhymed excuses to convince it to go away. You could be at it all night -- or until it senses there's better food at another party. Not much chance of that tonight, though! We had delicacies imported from all over for the event. Still, you all did very well under such a pitched assault. I am very impressed. Now, who'll lend a hand in helping dig our brave warrior out of this circle so she can get into the house and warm up?"

((Ya'll that was AMAZING! I was excited to include a Mari Lywd in this event but I absolutely could not stop grinning through that battle of wits, so many of you rhyming at it was just the BEST. SERIOUS kudos. And sleep well, Annette! :D))
Annette Brown (played by Claywind)

((Amazing that was indeed! Annette is going to find a quiet place to sleep it off once she gets un-buried. :D Good night (or day) everyone!))

8 petals have now fallen from the enchanted rose; 4 remain.

The Grand Duchess turns toward the mysterial royal, raising a glass of... something she had just plucked out of the circle of food. "Ah, you're too kind! I'm so glad you could make it this evening. There's still plenty of time to make mischief."

((Can I get a quick sound-off, who do we still have right now? :)))
Alyda Schmidt (played anonymously)

While she'd mostly been standing there and staring, she now seemed to be given a shock back to life and moved forward to be able to help the poor victim of the food trap. She moved some of it aside, starting to dig her way towards Annette so that she could get out and inside.

"How could this happen, how is this possible?" She asked nobody in particular while she continued to dig through the pile to fully set the woman free.

((I'm still here))
Glow Girls (played anonymously)

"Do we have to go?" the teal child sized girlishly sounding individual asked out loud, glaring over at her pink, also child sized, sibling who drove forward with a clearly eager pace.

"It will be fun!" she replied in an equally effeminate voice with a large smile on her face. "Imagine all the people we can meet!"

"I know enough people already," the teal replied, "I'd rather just go home to my laptop."

"Or your video game right?" the pink one nearly mocked their sibling, "It's good for you to meet new people. Who knows, maybe some of them are as big of a dork as you," they giggled.

The teal trailed along slowly, silently for several seconds looking off to the side as she walked. "It's not the quantity, it's the quality...."

Shaking her head, the pink one smiled, shaking her head in the slightest as she cast off the idea. Sure quality was important, but the more friends you had the happier you were right?

"C'mon, we're almost there, and it's already started," she said turning back to her sister and grabbing her wrist. She tugged harshly and increased her pace, a bit forcefully. The teal one made her disagreement verbally in the way of guttural protest as she was dragged along. "This will be fun, I am sure of it," the pink one stated with a grandiose smile as she closed in on the masquerade.
Glow Girls (played anonymously)

((just arrived....am I too late?))

((Not at all! We're still going strong for another four hours or so :)))
Look (played anonymously)

There he was, several hours late! To be fair, he needed some help figuring out what the very fancy paper that nearly knocked him over was. Not to mention, the journey was long for someone as tiny as him!

He did have the foresight to bring a tiny sketchbook, strapped to his back like a backpack, a pencil tucked inside and his trusty paintbrush in hand. He's even made a little lion mask for the occasion. This was a very important quest; someone might miss a party!

The little wooden figure runs towards the tables in search of the host, careful to duck between the people's legs. He runs towards the lights, the food, the decorations, the music, the... He can't help but stare around him, the invitation in hand. Everything is so pretty.
Look (played anonymously)

((Hello! sorry for joining in so late! c': ))
Gyrfalcon (played anonymously)

The stranger had only just arrived, yet already there was much to take in. He was witness to the end of an epic poetry battle, to the vanquishing of Wales' very own Meri Lwyd, and the tail-end of foodstuffs heckling a party-goer. His eyes go wide beneath his mask as the sheet collapses- utterly empty- then they crease with a spreading smile. He slides the invitation into a pocket and lodges his parcel into the crook of an elbow. Now free to follow the example of their apparent host, he applauds to congratulate the clever rhymers, gloves muffling an already light clapping. A toast is raised. Bound by decorum, he plucks a glass from a passing attendant. The brandy is raised in mute cheer, then brought beneath the beak for inspection, and a tentative sip is drawn. His mouth promptly puckers in the fashion of one who is not keen on brandy, but it seems impolite to waste. For better or worse, he cradles the drink in one hand, with the pretend posture of one who intends to eventually imbibe more.

((You are precisely on time! The idea was to have the event span a bunch of time zones so that new groups of people could join in all day as it made sense for them.))
Gyrfalcon (played anonymously)

((I'm later than I meant to be too, but will happily chime in between making dinner!))
Mysterious royal (played anonymously)

"Of course, Your Grace. I wouldn't miss this and it would take an army to stop me from coming." She answered with a smile and a nod. She didn't curtsy like she would've to someone that was higher born, which might've been a dead giveaway of her royal nature if it weren't for her clothing already doing just that. Still, she wished to respect the host and would certainly address her in proper manner.

She looked at the circle of food and then back at the Duchess and the others that were present. There was a bit of wonder as to what had been going on when she arrived, but she decided not to ask. If it had to be known, it would be told. If not, then maybe it would be added to the stories of this realm.

A kind nod was given to the others that surrounded them, including those that had just arrived.

"Ahh, many strange things happen under the light of my rose, though it blooms only for 12 hours each year," the Duchess answers Alyda's query. "But at least our visiting spirit only re-arranged most of the food, and the only actual loss was the wine. We could have been left entirely without refreshment if our brave rhyming heroes hadn't stepped in!"

As they clear a path to Annette, the woman is allowed to head off into the house for a rest.

"I rather suspect that if an army thought to stop you from coming to my party, they'd somehow find themselves attending the party instead," the Grand Duchess quips to the mysterious royal, tossing a wink in her direction.
Sartheloa was more than happy to see the thieves be banished. She immediately began feasting on a large and juicy cut of meat, probably from a boar or something similar she had to assume. She ate quietly and her companion Xefry feasted with her as well, remaining at her side and eating from her plate. She was proud of Annette who had proven to be the leading savior in the feast. She smiled as she enjoyed a serving of various foods that she could eat with seemingly no end. While she didn't acknowledge the Duchess or other guests visibly, she was silently aware of everyone around her. The sounds they made cueing her in on their actions to some degree. After a healthy feast, she sat down in a chair and relaxed, content with watching the reverie around her with a slightest smile on her lips.

The explanation had her quite baffled and to her, didn't really explain much. That wasn't the Duchess' fault though, as Alyda was still getting adjusted to worlds that had magic in them.

"It was a pretty rose." She said once she had cleared a path for Annette. Besides that, she didn't say much to it as she felt a bit intimidated by those that were of greater importance than herself. Instead, she made her way towards the back of the group, where she witnessed two semi-arguing girls that seemed to be arriving.
Mysterious royal (played anonymously)

"Many strange things indeed..." She agreed. What she had witnessed so far told her enough to not argue that. The Princess had seen a lot of strange things in her life, but this had certainly made it rather high on her list. "It's a shame... The wine, that is. Had I known, I would've had some of our finest delivered here too." She added as a single one of her fingertips made it to her chin, which was tapped while she was lost in thought.

"Ah well, I do come bearing gifts." She said as she turned to a single servant that appeared behind her and was handed a wrapped gift, which she in turn handed over to the Duchess.

"I am not sure if you already possess one of these, Your Grace. If you do then perhaps it would be something nice to pass on to one of those brave heroes of your realm." She clarified, even if it didn't tell her a lot about the gift itself. The wrapped package contained a single notebook without lines, as it wouldn't even need writing in.

To the comment with the wink, she couldn't help but to let out a chuckle. Well yes, either that or they would've met her favorite daggers. Of course it was against policy for her to really discuss any of that, so instead she winked back.

"I'm sure they would. I doubt many could resist a party such as this, Your Grace."

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Official Masquerade Topic - Winter 2020

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus