Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Official Masquerade Topic - Winter 2020

Annette Brown (played by Claywind)

An excellent idea. Even if no one managed to catch the spirit in a riddle they could not answer, mayhaps rhyming at them would keep weakening it. From her prison of whirling foods, Annette noticed a new arrival.
"You! fair lady in the cat mask! Please come and help us with our task! This sly spirit has taken wine and meat and plate with which to dine! Only the riddles and the rhymes seem to stop it, and end its crimes!"
'... Cat mask?' Cris turned curiously hearing Annette's words and took in the newcomer's appearance. And as she remembered the old tale of a "cat and fox" who had swindled a living puppet, she chuckled softly. "The wits of cats is proverbial", she mused, "I wonder if it'll be a worthy match for our master trickster...."
The Duchess (played by Kim) Topic Starter

The front third of the Mari Lywd yanks hard on the sheet, trying to pull its two compatriots back to their feet. "With riddles you think to put me to bed, but no no no no, you're jumping ahead -- It's my turn to ask and ask I will, and soon enough I shan't be drinking low swill. Now listen here, your attention I beckon and attend close ye to my riddle second: A horse may sink to a drunken stupor, autumns bounty cheers hooray, which fruit am I, oh cider pray?"
The Dragoness (played anonymously)

"Thank you," the Dragoness said softly, aloud this time. She'd never received such appreciative words before, nor heard anyone express a desire to visit her. She couldn't say Xefry would be very safe in Elkaddion, but his sincerity and the idea of a young, wise visitor was a very lovely one.

She blinked swiftly once or twice, fighting some of the emotion that threatened to bring tears to her eyes. As much as she was enjoying Xefry and Sarthelia's companionship, she knew she needed to recover her composure before she remained in such fine company. Things had happened before when she let her emotions overcome her, and said things were never very pretty--though some outburst of the arcane due to such a wholesome feeling as gratitude and validation wasn't something that had ever happened before. Still, better not to risk it.

"I beg your pardon," she spoke to Xefry, offering him a small smile. "I believe the chaos of this rhyming battle is beginning to wear on me--I need to take a walk for a moment and clear my head. Thank you very dearly for your kind words, Little Sire. It has been a true honor meeting you."

Out loud she said, looking to Sarthelia and speaking when the other wasn't engaged in rhymes, "Thank you very much for your conversation, good lady, and the companionship of your friend here--but I must take my leave of you for a moment. I do hope to see you both again, later tonight perhaps."

Once she had returned the sweet little Xefry to his original companion, the Dragoness excused herself kindly and moved to walk quietly just beyond the dance floor and the main gathering area, a breath like a puff of smoke once more leaving her lips and drifting away in the chill air.

((I must take my leave of you fair people for a brief time, hopefully I'll return later! I'm loving this event so far <3))

((Thank you for being here! :D Hope to have you back later! :)))
((I'll be back in a few as well, work needs my help again. Also my lord this is so much fun!))

((See you soon too, Sarthelia! :D))
(I might try to snatch a few hours sleep if my toothache will allow - but until it calms enough to let me, I'll still be around. If I disappear, you know why X'D)

((I'll have to go to sleep in a bit; it's really late where I am. But I do want to witness this epic battle of wits as well))

"Is that an apple?" Annette wondered out loud, and realized she was maybe not supposed to answer. Or to do so without rhymes. "An apple, sweet and round, a juicy gift from the ground?"
Alyda Schmidt (played anonymously)

"A sly spirit, you say?" She asked, curiosity a noticeable hint in her voice while a playful glint filled her eyes. To her, the rhyming made it sound like it was a silly game they were playing and she wasn't fully aware of the fact that this could potentially be a real threat. She stepped forward towards the others, her gaze remaining focused on them and their nearby surroundings.

"I'm afraid I don't know how to win in most games, I've never been very good at them. That said, I'm not a bad loser either." She admitted with a sheepish smile. "If you tell me what I can do to help, I'm willing to give it a shot."

She listened closely as she was told, but the riddle had her frowning.

"A drunken horse and cider? That sounds absolutely bonkers. Although I do believe there was a gin called after a drunken horse." She recalled.

Mari Lywd wheels back toward Annette. Its mid and hindquarters have staggered back up, and weave clumsily behind the front. "You're right, you're right, and still with riddles you insist we fight -- Do me a favor ye kind, ye gentry, your tables are laden with a great plenty. Do my rhymes not impress? Do I need a fancier dress? Give me a cup, a bowl, a horn! A terrible thirst my rhyming has drawn. Do me a give, a dog might say, give me a flagon an ass might bray, but I am nought but Mari Lywd, I seek nothing more than the taste so good, of a beer, a wine, a whisky neat, something to ease the pain in my feet, a drink to aid my quest to get blotty, pass me a cup or my rhymes might get naughty!"

Annette plucked a flying cup of wine from the moving walls of her 'prison'.
"A glass with you I'd gladly share, yet you've taken most of our fare. There is no wine, rum or cider that I can catch and then offer. Instead of theft, and rhyming tests, why don't you behave as a guest?"
That was a good question. Was Mari Lwyd not invited by the Duchess?

((GM note: Annette is in a tough spot in her food prison, but others might have access to booze - all the wine was stolen, but there's still mead and brandy))
((I am sitting here in the background, thrilled by all the witty riddles and rhymes. You're doing great Annette!))

((Thank you, but I'm reaching my limit. Sleep calls like a siren song, and soon Annette will fade))
Gyrfalcon (played anonymously)

The falcon's arrival was easy to overlook. In one moment, there lay an empty space before a foyer wall's mirror, and in the next moment, he occupied it. Dressed white as winter itself, the stranger had donned a duelist's doublet above a silk shirt. Gloves, trousers, and boots were all just as pale. Even the skin one might spy beneath the mask's beak was frightfully colorless, as though carved from ivory itself. The blizzard was broken by the feathers of his headgear and a pair of pauldrons. Though snowy, they are spotted, with many a black dot marking the plumage of a gyrfalcon. Soft silver eyes scanned the soiree, lidded but bright with intrigue, a gentle smile teasing the corners of his mouth. His presence is unobtrusive, investigative, unengaged as he takes his time drinking in the otherworldly atmosphere. The falcon made no move to procure an actual drink drink. Instead he observed, an invitation in one hand and small cobalt bag in the other. There was no need to plunge feet-first into the festivities just yet. He is one of many peculiar persons, and when weirdness is in excess, it is far easier to behave as one's self.
Mysterious royal (played anonymously)

Careful and measured steps were taken as someone walked with short strides. Their attitude was beyond cordial and their outfit matched the way they portrayed themselves perfectly. An elegant gown between teal and blue was draped over their average sized frame, hugging her chest and her hips in a way that could only be explained by the dress being made on her body.

Her smile was too warm for her to be a snob, and her friendly wave here and there was nothing short of sweet. Still, she was no ordinary commoner and since she'd been invited by one that had a higher position as well, she tried her best to behave as well as her father would expect of her. Her jewelry and her mask matched her dress, as well as brought the spark in her soft blue eyes forward. It was a lively spark, one of happiness and joy that said all was well and if it wasn't, all would be.

The gown swaying side to side with her steps, she made her way through the crowd in search of a drink. There seemed to be no wine, but the Princess had never disliked brandy so she didn't feel too disappointed. Instead, she took a glass and raised it to the by-standers. She was mostly turned towards those that were standing freely but she spoke to all in clear and joyful manner.

"Here's to our lovely host, The Duchess. May she live long and prosper." She said, her smile widening before she took a sip from the glass.

((Actually, Annette, if you want -- you can find a cup full of mead if you'd like! I think you should have one more move before bed ;) ))

((Ooooh, thank you!))

And as soon as she had spoken her words, the empty cup in her hands filled with warm, golden mead.
She raised it up, towards the spirit:
"Oh Mari Lwyd, three-voiced jester,
Let rivalry no more fester.
I invite you to share a drink
Sleep calls to me, soon I will sink.
Come rest your pranks, come sit by me
So let us drink and be merry.
Yes, let us part as newfound friends
For my part here comes at its ends."

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Official Masquerade Topic - Winter 2020

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus