Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Killing off Characters

ChaoticHazard

Howdy, it is I once again!

I recently had a character get killed off in a Roleplay that I'm doing (It wasn't my own character, it was the other persons) and It had me absolutely bawling like a big old baby. Which made me wonder, does any one else cry at character deaths in your RP's? and if so. Is it only with your own characters dying or the others?
MangoNekros

Nope. I remember that I am in a silly roleplaying site and no matter how many times I watch my favorite oc blow up and be graphically eaten by zombies, I remember its a guy with an fc I took off the internet and I can easily throw him back into another rp
SunbroTheAbysswalker

i actually do get upset at character deaths! it's usually my own, as i put so much time, effort, and care into making my character and seeing them die does not sit well with me. when this happens, one of my friend usually whips out what she likes to call, 'the revival goose', which is exactly what it sounds like. (though this is NOT to preserve my feelings, we both just get bored when a character dies too)
Only if it's my own. I have never actually had to do it yet, although I have contemplated it multiple times with Theo, because he has some problematic history as a character.
I've been known to cry over OC's deaths lol mine and my partners. It usually depends on the character or the bonding between said characters. I've killed off characters of mine before for the sake of plot movement. Sometimes I cry. Sometimes I don't. I do tend to cry a lot whenever there's a lot of emotional turmoil going on between two romantic characters.

I tend to get emotionally involved with an rp. So I'm more prone to laugh and cry with them lol
I can't really remember if I've cried over a character death in an RP, but I've definitely felt a pretty big impact from it, before. Same with various other dramatic events. I think it might actually hit me harder when something happens to someone else's character than when things happen to mine, though.

I'm pretty sure I have occasionally contributed to other players crying, though. >.>
I have had my characters die, my friend's character's die, and NPC's die that have all had me quietly bawling. I can get really emotionally invested in characters. More than once I've had characters from my multiverse die and then I cannot play them again, no matter how long they've been with me. Others die all the time and come back, but once in a while one will affect me so much I cannot play them.
Haven't been having the sorta RPs where that happens anymore, though back during my Dutch wolf RP days, I did let my main character's cripple NPC brother be killed off for scrap knows what reason (I do believe it motivated the current ragtag band of almost-adult wolves to actually form their first pack, which was a story-shaping decision, of course), and made a whole melodramatic and tragic matter out of it, with my wolf burrying her lil' bro and singing him a song (supposed to be wholesome, but it's actually Sam Smith's Stay With Me).

Ended up getting reports here and there that it made people cry, and while I didn't exactly bawl myself I really did feel the heartbreaking vibe in that scene. Sorta weird to say that I'm 'proud' of it, but y'know, it is a very nice boost in confidence to hear that your characters & writing move people, so, edgy and dramatic as it was, I still look back upon those years with a damn smile, you bet!
So, admittedly, I’m not much of a crier when it comes to most death-related topics, and this applies both to real life and fictional media.

I’ve only participated in killing off characters twice to my living memory. One instance was a violent child death in the first group game I ran on RPR, and while I didn’t do the murder, I did send my antagonistic character in to try to twist the knife. It’s up there on my list of “cruelest things any of my OCs have ever done.”

I did not cry, the whole scene, and the main groups’ discovery of the dead/dying child that immediately followed, was an emotional gut punch but I don’t remember crying.

The second is a 1x1 I have on ice with a close friend of mine, in which killing my character was the premise because we planned afterlife shenanigans. The concept sounds funny on paper but our current set of exchanges is mostly my murdered OC going through the stages of grief while being consoled by a goddess. It’s an emotionally heavy topic that on a bad day I couldn’t tackle because existential dread is my greatest weakness, but I haven’t cried over it yet.

I’ve since discussed/planned multiple plot points that involve character death, but I’ve yet to write any of them. The closest I’ve come recently involved mangling my partner’s OCs most prized possession- their reply and our OOC discussion about it was a major guilt trip in the most positive way I could possibly mean it, but uh…it’s been a hot minute since I’ve committed real fictional murder.

EDIT: Yo, I completely forgot to discuss my tabletop RPG death stories. I did kill the big bad in my first major campaign. While I still don’t remember crying, the surge of adrenaline and savage thrill of victory immediately followed by the panic of “Oh god my teammate is dying!” and then the slow, creeping horror of “Oh god, I killed a man,” is a sequence of emotions I don’t think I’ll ever forget.
MangoNekros

DazzlingDragon wrote:
So, admittedly, I’m not much of a crier when it comes to most death-related topics, and this applies both to real life and fictional media.

I’ve only participated in killing off characters twice to my living memory. One instance was a violent child death in the first group game I ran on RPR, and while I didn’t do the murder, I did send my antagonistic character in to try to twist the knife. It’s up there on my list of “cruelest things any of my OCs have ever done.”

I did not cry, the whole scene, and the main groups’ discovery of the dead/dying child that immediately followed, was an emotional gut punch but I don’t remember crying.

The second is a 1x1 I have on ice with a close friend of mine, in which killing my character was the premise because we planned afterlife shenanigans. The concept sounds funny on paper but our current set of exchanges is mostly my murdered OC going through the stages of grief while being consoled by a goddess. It’s an emotionally heavy topic that on a bad day I couldn’t tackle because existential dread is my greatest weakness, but I haven’t cried over it yet.

I’ve since discussed/planned multiple plot points that involve character death, but I’ve yet to write any of them. The closest I’ve come recently involved mangling my partners’ OCs most prized possession- their reply and our OOC discussion about it was a major guilt trip in the most positive way I could possibly mean it, but uh…it’s been a hot minute since I’ve committed real fictional murder.

ratatouille-meme.gif
I unintentionally killed my partner's OC, which was, at the time, if not still is, my favorite character from them.
I instantly broke into tears and couldn't look at my own OC, the murderer, for a week straight.

:'^)
An OC's mortality is more important to me in really big group RPs where the character is really tied to the linear plot and lore of that particular setting. That being said, I've never understood the hard no on character death, personally. I respect it, but I don't really understand it. If I'm playing several characters in a 1v1, one of those characters might just have to bite the dust every once in a while to keep me amused.
ChaoticHazard Topic Starter

winplaceshow wrote:
An OC's mortality is more important to me in really big group RPs where the character is really tied to the linear plot and lore of that particular setting. That being said, I've never understood the hard no on character death, personally. I respect it, but I don't really understand it. If I'm playing several characters in a 1v1, one of those characters might just have to bite the dust every once in a while to keep me amused.

I definitely see where you're coming from (The several character's in a 1v1 and killing one off every once in awhile thing.) Since I've done that before since A; it either gets too difficult to maintain all the characters? or B; I'm getting bored of them. I don't have a 'Hard no death' thing, but it really depends. I'm more emotionally invested in the other person's character half the time, which is where I usually cry. So I'll gladly kill off one of my own characters if it means it gives more sustenance to the RP or moves the plot forward.
I will 100% cry when an OC dies. Have. Will. Always. Mine, others, don't matter. I'm a big old baby and I will blubber. Of course it doesn't happen very often and so far the two times it has happened it hasn't been permanent. Still hurts though.

Although! One of my rp partners and I are planning a permanent character death in our story's shared universe. All our rps are happening in the same world and at a certain point the stories will all converge in a huge boss battle. We have both agreed that each of us has to pick one of the characters we have played and they will perma die during said battle. We rolled separately and in secret to determine who will die and neither will know who the other is going to kill off until the post happens. It's awful and exciting and I can't wait! I'm going to cry so hard!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Killing off Characters

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus