Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Flash Game Discussion

As kids, we all played flash games. Depending on the site or web filters, there were many mainstream or lesser-known flash games online.

I want to know what sites you used and what games you played on them, as I want to see the similarities and differences in our ages and the types of games we played.

I used Cool Math Games as my site of choice, playing games like Papa's Freezeria, Jack Smith, and Burrito Bison. I still play some of those games now, and I even have some of them on my phone.
The Cartoon Network website had some great games.

I especially fondly remember the Dragon Ball Z ones. In fact, the Toonami games in general were largely pretty good.

At some point the school filters did clock onto things though, which was sad, but I still played them at home for a good while after before growing out of them.
Papa's Freezeria was truly the peak of flash games. That was really the only game I played on CoolMath when I was in school. That and some game called Factory Balls, but the Papa's games were superior, especially when they started allowing you to customize your player.

I also wobbled a lot between Moviestar Planet, Fantage (which, fun fact, is where my plague of a username originated), and Our World back when I was an edgy tween. 💀 Then I moved onto stuff like Town of Salem, which surprisingly was never blocked by the school.

BUT I think my favorite flash game (if you can call it that), was Webkinz. I was never a Neopets kid, but I loved my little Webkinz a ton. I still collect the stuffed animals for nostalgia.
I used to play on the Neopets website and played the Flash games on there. Its been so long, I can't remember most of the games I played on there. They are actually surprisingly fun to play. Been a long time since I've been on that site, though, or played the games.
For me, it was the Papa's franchise as I tried my best as a kid to make orders as perfectly as I could (as count: 4 ).
I tried out Super Mario 63. It's a fangame of Super Mario 64 and 100% percent completed the game once.

I'd like the F.L.U.D.D Mechanic at times because it's pretty useful if you wanna reach high places or you can just zoom past through the level.

And for the final boss, when you enter with Luigi, it won't let you fight Bowser. So, your just stuck on the infinite stairs lol. It's a fun game though. ^-^
Mostly dress-up games on AddictingGames and Kongregate. But there were a few really stand-out games to me.

-William and Sly was a short metroid-style platformer where you play as a fox and collect fireflies.
-How to Raise a Dragon had you play as a dragon throughout its lifecycle and make choices that affected the story of its life. (The creator is actually on Itch now.)
-Balloon Wars was a Balloon Fight clone with some lite RPG elements that I burned a lot of my time away on.
-TRAITOR was a vertical shooter made by one of my favorite gamedevs, about a soldier who begins to question the empire they serve, eventually turning against them.
-Interactive Buddy was- I mean, everyone knows what this was. I'm sure most people tormented it. I did that once, then sat horrified as the buddy ran from my cursor because it learned to associate me with pain. I spent a good 30 minutes rebuilding trust with it. Seriously messed up how many of that game's options were tormenting a little guy...
-Punk-O-Matic was an edgy music sequencer that I thought was hilarious when I was 13 and spent a lot of time making sequences in.

I've forgotten the name of it now, but there was a game where you could grow a flower by talking to it. I thought this was therapeutic.

Incidentally, you can still play most Flash games through the Flashpoint archival project. I recommend looking into it for some nostalgia.
Anakisuto wrote:
As kids, we all played flash games. Depending on the site or web filters, there were many mainstream or lesser-known flash games online.

I want to know what sites you used and what games you played on them, as I want to see the similarities and differences in our ages and the types of games we played.

I used Cool Math Games as my site of choice, playing games like Papa's Freezeria, Jack Smith, and Burrito Bison. I still play some of those games now, and I even have some of them on my phone.

I used Kongregate mostly back in the day. I still kind of do every now and then.

I played the zombie series by Con Artist Studios called The Last Stand. Apparently that game influenced CoD Zombies mode. He's still around. I recall he's making another game in the Last Stand series, releasing in Steam.

I also played Elona Shooter by noanoa, who made the game to promote their now defunct MMO, Elona.

I played the Cursed Treasure: Don't Touch My Gems! series by IriySoft. Those Tower Defence games are fun.

I also played another tower defence series called Protector by Undefined. He has since stopped developing games from what I hear.

I played the Monsters' Den series by Monstrum. Those are fun but somewhat hardcore turn based RPG.

I played the Mardek series by pseudolonewolf. I still hold those RPG games to high regard as I grew up playing them. It's too bad pseudolonewolf never finished the series and he only left it at Chapter 3 since he went on to remake the game into a... weird ass game using the same characters and the same world. I heard he never got far in that as well and just moved onto another project, then another... another. Yeah, he has a plethora of unfinished games, which is something I dislike in a developer. The three Mardek chapters are the only games he had completed as main projects.

The Sonny series was another fun RPG series by Jakrin, or Krin as he is called online. Not sure if he's still making the game but I heard he stopped at Chapter 3 of the series and went on to remake the games into the Unity engine.

There's Mud and Blood 2 that I played by urbgames. Currently it's in Steam but you can play a free version of it in Kongregate still. I love that WWII survival game where you deploy soldiers to fend off waves of Nazi soldiers advancing to your position to get to the other side.

That's currently the list of flash games I can think off the top of my head. There's a lot more Flash Games I played back in the day but I can't remember them all. These games I listed are what I remember rather well and fondly.
Kim Site Admin

The amount of Neopets I played as a kid cannot be understated.
Auberon Moderator

I was a newgrounds kid myself. I almost did some voice acting with Arin Hanson/egoraptor for some videos, but the mic I had at the time royally sucked. Soooo it didn't pan out. I was obsessed with watching flash videos, though. My friends and I would all crowd around the computer for new episodes on the sites/series we followed. Was a big fan of Project DCK for a while, and Legendary Frog. It was a delight to see people referencing Salad Fingers in 2022. xD
Auberon wrote:
I was a newgrounds kid myself. I almost did some voice acting with Arin Hanson/egoraptor for some videos, but the mic I had at the time royally sucked. Soooo it didn't pan out. I was obsessed with watching flash videos, though. My friends and I would all crowd around the computer for new episodes on the sites/series we followed. Was a big fan of Project DCK for a while, and Legendary Frog. It was a delight to see people referencing Salad Fingers in 2022. xD

Badger badger badger badger-
Newgrounds 8D

local high school legend Amon made "All Our Friends Are Dead" and i will never stop bragging about that kid or his many indie gaming accomplishments ahahaha

neopets was life, gaiaonline's games too.
Anakisuto wrote:

Artix Games, DragonFable, the OG AdventureQuest and MechQuest. I loved em, none more than MechQuest, though Ebil Games was really fun too, again, all by ArtixGames.
Sadly, with Flash officially dead, you'll need to be careful with any ports you manage to dig up of a lot of these.
It was the saddest day when adobe stopped supporting flash. I am glad that despite that, neopets is still going strong. I am just said that even though gaia online is pretty dead regardless, pretty much all of their games are unplayable unless you download this stupid browser that has a rolled back version of flash and its honestly just not worth it when they could be figuring out something new. I do not know how they get by with how archaic that website is. Nostalgic people who joined 20 years ago I guess? Its safe to say I still pop on every once in a while for that same reason, but since flash died I think it finally put the nail in the coffin for it. They really need to think of something new to do. New games, new story line, new features or SOMETHING new period.
Zelphyr wrote:
Sadly, with Flash officially dead, you'll need to be careful with any ports you manage to dig up of a lot of these.

I mentioned it in this thread earlier but Flashpoint Archive is where to go.

https://flashpointarchive.org/

This is safe. I've used it myself. If a Flash game isn't here, contact the curators and someone might be able to find it. Their goal is to preserve every Flash game so it does not become lost media.
Mina Moderator

In the 90s, Nickelodeon had these little flash games called "Clickamajigs" (TVTropes page). I feel very old, but I remember this game called "Disgruntled Warthog", where the object was to click and drag objects to a warthog. He was already apparently having a bad day- made worse by something about the object. I watched the YouTube video of it just now and it was peak 90s Nick humor.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Flash Game Discussion

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus