Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Official Contest: Tutorials

Kim Site Admin

Winners have been announced!!

scribe.pngTo Enter:
Write a tutorial about how to use the RP Repository. It can be about site usage, character design, or roleplay, so long as it is of interest to the RP Repository community, and written specifically for them.

Here are some example tutorial topic ideas:
  • How to use all the features of the site to find RP
  • Writing eye-catching concepts for the RP Finder
  • A guide to creating believable character detail
  • How to write great kudos that accurately describe the wonderfulness of your friends
  • Fine-tuning what notifications you see
  • Making snazzy and eyecatching taglines (groups or characters or both)
  • Guiding through your first setup of your settings - what to look out for, useful tips and tricks
  • What to do when you find out your characters don't work out well together

You are free to pick any of the ideas from the above list, or choose your own subject!

You are discouraged from writing tutorials about using the group editing interfaces, as it is expected that these interfaces will be completely changed by the end of the year, making any such tutorials written before then useless! We'll have to have another tutorial contest when groups leave the alpha phase to give group-maestros a chance as well. :)

Tutorials will be judged on usefulness and clarity. Step-by-step instructions are encouraged. Bonus points will be offered for providing useful screenshots with your tutorial.

Winning tutorials will be added to our help database, and may also be published in our news. Although accepted tutorials become the property of the RPR, you will be given credit. Winning tutorials may be edited before official publication.

You can enter as many times as you want, but you can only win one prize.

Post your tutorials in this thread!

Prizes:
Four winners will be chosen. First place will get their pick of the prizes below. Then second place will get to pick from those remaining, and so forth until every winner has had a turn.
  • A set of RPR bookmarks
  • An RPR t-shirt (tell me your size!)
  • 6 months of Epicness
  • 3 months of Epicness
  • 3 extra character slots
  • 2 extra pages
  • A piece of character art by Eaves, one of the artists who has been helping to pretty up our pages lately. example example example example example example

Deadline:
Get all your tutorials posted here by May 20th!
*starts scribbling away* I'ma do this!
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

I'm so excited to see what you come up with! :D
So, do I post the guide to this page as a comment?
Okay, so I kinda put together more of a guide for the entire site...
But whatevs. Here goes nothing:

"Hello! Welcome to the RPR! This here is your QuickStart Guide for getting on the fast track to success, and fun with the great RPR community!

You may be anyone, or everyone, or no one. But you came here with the same goal in mind as the rest of us: a great RP experience. I'm here to help you have the most fun you can possibly have with the RPR. Now, I realize that there is already a Getting Started Guide, but this is more of a crash-course in adeptly maneuvering the site like Luke Skywalker with his X-Wing. Fancy-Schmancy.

Oh! I almost forgot! It is physically impossible to enjoy this site until you have read the pledge, Website Usage Rules, and Forum Usage Rules. Please do so and then we can all understand each other.

Okay, now that that's out of the way, let's get down to business (the business of fun, that is. eyebrow.gif) shall we?
First thing's first: Character Creation.

You've undoubtedly already made your character (and if you haven't, what's wrong with you? Go share your creativity with us RIGHT NOW.) but did you know that there's a way to make it not only tell us what your beloved charrie is all about, but also a way to even look cool??? I know, I was shocked too. But there is!

My buddy Jane prepared some uberly-awesome tutorials on how to make your profile look AMAZING. There's also this super guide to help make your characters' profiles efficient as well as elegant!

So now that you've got some truly amazingly cool character profiles, it's time to head out there!

But wait, you probably are wanting to know how to figure out how to be LITERALLY THE BEST RPER IN THE WHOLE UNIVERSE, right??

Well, fortunately for you, some of the best and brightest minds of RPR came and put their heads together to figure out exactly that!
HOW TO LITERALLY BE THE BEST RPER IN THE WHOLE UNIVERSE

We've gone over everything from the obligations of RPers towards each other to whether online RPing is a writing craft to the definition of god moding to discussions on "normal" characters and "special" characters to even what it looks like to head an RP Group!

Isn't that exciting? Okay, so great! Now you know how to be a great RPer, and get along with everyone and have a good time with it. So now what? You probably want to find someone with similar tastes to yours, right?

So here's what you do!
Finding good RP partners

RP is fun. But sometimes, the way some people do it isn't. Nothing against those people, of course, they just have a different RP style than you do!

So how do you find good, compatible RP partners? There are actually quite a few handy little tools here that will help you along the way to finding a wonderful RP experience! The first one, easy enough, is the RP finder! Active RP topics and groups will be displayed based on what you tell it your interests are! Nobody knows how it works, although some say that perhaps it is powered by a forbidden magic harvested from an ancient tree. Cough.

The second way to find good RP is just good, ol'-fashioned manual searching. Looking for RP? find a topic you like! Or, alternatively, if absolutely nothing appeals to you, you can add your own.

There's one last tool to help you find the droids you're looking for: Kudos. There's a button on every profile that tells you to "give ____ kudos!" But did you know that this is to help others find people they like? If I visit a person's profile and I see a bunch of kudos on how quick and concise they are with their posts, when I'm a more detail-oriented, longer poster-er, then I can easily decide "Okay, this person doesn't do long posts. I'm okay with that." And move on to someone who potentially does like longer posts. Kudos isn't about making the user feel good, (although that generally happens anyways) instead it's about helping others decide why they should RP with this person or not.

A lot of the time people get this wrong, however. They use inside jokes, obscure adjectives, and non-descriptive language to say how "cool" this person is. But why are they cool?

Luckily, there's a guide for that, too!

Okay, so you're in the middle of writing a kudos when all of a sudden- Whoops! The A key explodes!

Uh-Oh, looks like you found something wrong with the site! What do you do?

Well, my friend Sanne actually put together a guide on how to write a comprehensive bug report!
Writing Bug Reports that don't suck

Sanne wrote a very comprehensive guide on how to make, unsurprisingly, a very comprehensive bug report.

If you can tell me how many times I've used the word "comprehensive" in this post I'll give you the Internet.

If you find a problem with the website, you can report it here.

Be sure to follow Sanne's guidelines and you should be good to go! (She of all people knows, she's got like a bazillion accolades)

Okay, so now you're a decorated member of the RPR. You've achieved Sanne-level Bug Hunting status, you know how to RP very well, you even know how to write kudos, and find good RP!

So you're in the middle of an intense RP. Your group of friends' beloved heroes are all running for their lives when one of them decides to... Roll a die? What the heck is this? Yahtzee?

Alas, there are actually people who use dice in RPs. You might want to be acquainted with their usage here!

So any other questions you may have? They are probably found at the ever-handy FAQ! If not, well, there's always the help forum, where you can ask all your questions! There's also the generic help index, which has all kinds of goodies and tutorials in there!

By this point, we've done everything for you but actually do the RPing, so get out there! We know you'll do great!"

(I realized as soon as I finished writing this that all of the RP discussions I linked also had pages in the Help section, but oh well)

I intended on this being posted as maybe kind of a sticky in the Introductions Forum? Whenever someone goes to introduce themselves they'll see this stickied jewel and be linked to important areas of the site! This is also intended as kind of a rough draft, you can edit it entirely as you see fit.

(First entry, OH YEAH)

Wowwie, that is quite the review! :D What a strong contender to start out with!
O, wow. I can't even begin to compete with the mighty Oak tree of RPR. I'll do a little guide on how kudos work and how they're supposed to be used.

"Kudos, what they are and how to best use them.

Greetings, friend! Glad you took the time to learn about kudos! After reading this short introduction, you'll know exactly what kudos are how to distribute them properly.

But first, a little elaboration. What are kudos exactly? Well, dear friend, kudos, which is ancient Greek for "achievement" or "glory", is a way for you to reward your friendly neighborhood roleplayers for their excellence all around. Did you enjoy RPing with a fellow RPer? You can show your gratitude by writing a little recommendation for him/her. People who read this recommendation will know their good points, and be more inclined to interact with this person.

So in short, kudos are you showing other people how great this person is, which will help him/her immensely to find more RP and even friends.

This feature is not restricted to the RPer in general, though! If you feel like a specific character deserves some love, you can do just that!

How to give someone kudos
Now that you know what kudos are, as well as their purpose, you'll want to know how exactly to give kudos, am I right? To do this is very simple. You go to the lucky RPer's profile. Right underneath his display picture, you will find a few options, such as messaging, befriending etc. Among these options, you will find one that sais 'give (insert name here) kudos.' Clicking that will open a small window, in which you can start typing your desired message. Simple, right?

For giving kudos to specific characters, this is just as simple. Once you are on the person's profile, there will be a list of characters to choose from. Clicking on one of the character's name or display picture will bring you to the character's page. This also works if the character you wish to kudos appears on your homepage.

At the very top of this character's page you will find more options. One of them is 'give kudos.' Clicking that will open the same message box as if you would give kudos to a roleplayer. Easy stuff!

Kudos etiquette
Ah yes, now that you know how to give kudos, there's just one more thing that needs to be discussed. There is a certain etiquette regarding kudos. Not to worry, it's nothing difficult to memorize. It's in fact rather logical. Most of you will have even figured this etiquette out on your own.

Important to know is that Kudos are not meant to send the receiver a message or a joke of some sort. Those can be perfectly done via actual messaging. Kudos are meant only to give a shout-out and describe why you feel this roleplayer deserves your mention.

The final thing to note is the following; you have a maximum of 155 characters to fill in when giving kudos. This is a perfect amount to sum up why you think this RPer is so incredible. Make use of them! The more detail you give about why someone is awesome, the better. This will give a very clear view as to why this person and/or character is worth RPing with. An example:

"(Insert name here) is awesome and you'll love RPing with him/her."

Above is an example of what to avoid. Though nice of you to say, other people will not know why you find this person/character so great and will easily shrug these loving words off, which is a shame, really. Best we avoid that.

"(Insert name here) is a very fun person to interact with. He/She is a very friendly person outside of RP who stands ready to help anyone who needs it. His/Her characters are very well made and interesting in their own way, and finally, in RP (insert name here) is unpredictable and very literate. I have had a great experience with him/her, and I believe you will too."

This example above shows what I mean when I say details give a clear view of why a person is awesome. People reading through this will see the exact reason why you find this person to deserve your kudos. The reasons summed up above will also incline people to try RPing with him or her. So thanks to you, this person will have an even better RP experience!

There! Now you know what kudos are, how to give them and how to preferably write them out! I hope this has been informative, and I hope you will receive many kudos from many people!"

There, it's not much, but it was fun writing this! In the future I might enter more tutorials!
Sanne Moderator

After some thinking, I decided to write an article on how to make the most useful Suggestions for RPR. The tutorial also explains how to browse the Development Log, how to find similar ideas on the forums and what elements a good suggestion has.

Because of the formatting, it will look horrible when copy and pasted into the forum. So here's a link to the article on Google Drive. Anyone should be able to view it. :)

Google Doc right here!

I haven't properly proofread it yet, so as I go back I may fix some typos or weird garbled sentences. <.< I also know some pages look weirdly stretched out, but that's because Google Docs cuts off the screenshots and pushes them down to fit in pages. Thankfully, RPR articles don't do document pages. ;)
I'm not going to enter, and here's why (it's a little ironic too)

I was going to make a video tutorial walking through how to do everything from making an account to creating a group x_x; but I lost the video file... x_x;

Ah well! G'luck everyone! ^_^

Sorry to hear you had technical difficulties, brndnpcktt!
Haha, I wish I would have read this earlier.
Sanne Moderator

I know a lot of people are unsure about what sort of tutorials to write. These topics haven't been written about yet and could use someone to make a snazzy tutorial about!

Remember, these tutorials don't have to be twenty pages long! Short ones are fine too!

- A tutorial explaining what a good tagline is, and where to set the tagline on characters and in groups.

- A tutorial explaining how to change your settings. This can include the regular settings, email settings, notification settings and subscribed topics.

- A tutorial explaining how to suggest a character for a roleplay concept in the brand new RP Finder, or how to create your own. TIP: A lot of people are confused about the search feature, this would be a great area to focus on!

- A tutorial explaining some of the common do's and don't's in our RPR culture to help newbies fit in.

Bonus points if you use SCREENSHOTS too!
How to make epic character profiles (the Olthain way)!!!

Introduction

So, I've been getting a few messages about my characters being well-composed and good looking in general. I'll have to admit that I changed my style of creating character profiles, which can still be seen as you visit my old characters that are still in use. For example, compare Vierrynne Arabatlar, The Walker and Tyron - whom all have extensive information on multiple pages, to characters like Elva and Ylasse, Kenneth Wildner and Dave Jameson. See the difference?

Dividing your text

What I tend to notice first on characters to be seen on most (beginners') profiles, is that they tend to mash up all of the information onto one page. This, of course, is not wrong! However I find it much more easy to find character information spread out over multiple pages and with a good layout. This will give the reader's eyes some rest, and it won't cause him/her to get discouraged by a large amount of words on the profile.

Not too little

Immediately following up on that first point, I often see new players not having any information at all on their profiles. Sure, they have their vital stats filled out nicely, but that doesn't tell others anything about what your character is like character-wise, or what she's been through.

How to improve

Now, I'm going to tell you how I deal with those two problems.

Take note though that these tips have not yet been applied to my older characters, and might not even be applied, depending on my inspiration.

First of all, it's important that you have a clear idea of what you are thinking of for your character. If you have a well thought out idea about who your character is, then you should be able to make a tutorial with which you can make his/her dedicated spot on RPR a wonderful place to visit!

PAGE 1: Let's start with the appearance It's always nice to have an appearance description up, either blended into another text or by giving it a separate area on your profile. However, if you do not have any character art on that profile, it is even more useful to upload at least a short description of what they look like!

Example: Tyron
919722_4726907538787_1121235853_o.jpg
Above example shows a short description for a character! it doesn't have to be much, any text as long as that will do :)

Example: Cylene
486849_4726919099076_1549662007_n.jpg
This example shows a part of a text that is dedicated to character description, yet is included into a text on her past!

PAGE 2: A character's background is also obviously very important. Where did they come from? Do they have a specific world, either created by your hand or fan-based, where they live in? This is not necessarily their past, more like a setting description.

I won't be posting a screenshot since it would take too much room, but for example take a look at my character Garret 'Irvine' Fletcher. When there, go to the page called woodland vale. Woodland vale is the realm that he is situated in. Another example of this can be found on The Walker's profile, under the page 'Esperia'. These are good examples of a "world description".
    How to make a world description:
    I won't be going all-out on this topic, since there' dozens of things you can do here. Instead, let m give you some quick pointers to start off with.

First off, and mostly for your own sake as well as others, make a list of both races and the factions they inhabit. This will allow the reader to have a quick overview of what your world looks like and who lives there. When that is done, go about writing a small history and/or description for each of them. Make sure to lay out the events so that they intertwine, giving your different realms reasons to either love or hate each other! This will make your world all the more realistic.
When this world becomes too large, it could be recommendable to make a group for it! Esperia and The Watchers are good examples for this.

PAGE 3: When your world is set, you can start playing with your character's past. Meaning that now that you (should) know what your world looks like and how it works according to the different realms or factions you created, you will be able to place your character's story into that world. You can make a character however you want and have it fit into any world and that is just fine! but what if this character had its own world in which it could be played? That way, you'll be able to fluently guide the ending of one RP into the beginning of another, still keeping track of previous events easily. having a journal on your character page for exactly this is a useful tip, but not necessary.

Describing your character's history doesn't have to be a one-sided tale told from your or your character's point of view. Most people do it, and while it's not wrong at all, it's interesting to mix it up a bit, or find other ways / more fun ways of reading about the character.

example 3: Vierrynne
920451_4727027141777_1743905838_o.jpg
In Vierrynne's profile, I wrote down her information on her past as if it came from a mission description stored in her homeland's archives. This is just one out of many options you could go for, though.

example 4: Deirdre
964117_4727027101776_1018456951_o.jpg
on Deirdre's profile, you can see her description being opened as if it was a file in computer archives, similar to Vierrynne's files.

In this history on your character, make sure to include points such as where he lives in his world, what has made him into what he is now etc etc...

EXTRA'S: prettification, character ties and guestbooks

If you have followed all of these tips, you should already have a detailed profile of 3 pages. However, there's a couple tips to fill more pages and making it look prettier.

With my newer character (Vierrynne, The Walker but also Jayne and other demons) I tend to put a little poem in their profiles on their very first page. This poem is always related to the character page they are on. Some people (myself included) use songs to give their character a deeper effect. This can work just as well, and can be put on the first page too. The reason I like to put them on the first page is this: It gives a nice image and something fun tor read before diving into the massive depth that is your character. If you choose the poems wisely, you can even get to know part of that character through the poem alone.

A seperate page for your journal is also an option and definitely a good idea, but there's a lot of places to put them (as mentioned above).

If your character has a specific race such as my character Revanna, then it might be worth spending a page writing on the aspects of that race (what they look like, how they act, how they came to be etc, etc.)

Another option is this: you can dedicate a page to your character's ties. For example on Dave's page, you can see an example. There is the typical widget for connections, but aside from that I wrote down a quick description of the actual characters. This could be written down by you, or taken from their respective profiles in order to describe them.

There's a lot of things I could keep going on about, but I'm going to finish with one final page. If you feel like you want to know what people think about your character, give them a quick idea of your playstyles or simply show off some character art, you can make a page with some quick widgets.
widget 1: playstyles chart. This quickly describes what you can/cant, will/won't do with this character.
widget 2: guestbook. A place where people can quickly write something down, maybe even as a character to say hi!
widget 3: Kudos. Kudos are useful for other players to see how you play your character, and makes it easier for them to try and find what they're looking for in an RP partner.

THAT'S PRETTY MUCH IT FOLKS!

I hope this helped! if you still have any questions, feel free to send me a message and ask me! I'm always willing to help out a fellow inhabitant of the kingdom of RPR ;)

Greetings, Olthain :D
TheLily

My Guide got a little long...
Forum roleplay has several advantages over playing a tabletop game. It can be freeform, with characters interacting without having to worry about how many hit points they have or when they level up next. The game doesn’t have to be played in the home with close friends and a whole case of soda that everyone drinks before you can sit down. There is the chance to meet more people without having to invite strangers into your home.

On the other hand, though, sometimes all you want to do is play your favourite tabletop game, but of course things don’t line up for you. Someone cancels last minute; you can’t get enough people interested; there isn’t a regular day to play. So many things can come up.

What if you could just play a tabletop on a forum? RPR has two strong advantages over playing on a regular chat or forum. The first of course being the community; the people who play on RPR are always looking to play and most of them love to play something new and exciting. The second reason, of course is the beautiful dice system that Kim has implemented. With the regular range of dice there are few games you can’t work out with the dice.

There are several steps to making a good tabletop chronicle for players on a forum or chat. There are eight and a half steps and each step is fairly easy, but overall the process gets quite involved.

1. Pick Your Game! – this is an important step. If you don’t have a game in mind, then you might as well pack up and find a free form game because otherwise the rest of the steps are going to be hard to follow along with. There are all sorts of tabletop RPG games: Dungeons and Dragons, World of Darkness (which includes the ever popular Vampire: the Masquerade), Little Fears, Savage Worlds and even things like Serenity: Role Playing Game. Almost all systems will even expand past the typical Player’s Handbook or Core Book (CB from here on.)

If you are interested, there are games for you to play. They cover so many genres that it is impossible to name something that won’t have a game for it (and if there isn’t, please write it!)

Once you pick your game, you’re ready to move onto the next step. I’ll be using World of Darkness (WoD) as my base for examples.

2. Know Your Game! – It’s hard to run a game if you just see the cover of the book and decide to run a game off of it! You don’t have to read the whole book cover to cover, but it certainly helps.

It is good to know what is important in the game and what is important to you. There are always rules that either don’t make sense to you or won’t make sense for this chronicle. It’s up to you as the Story Teller (ST from here on) to know what you need to know. You should never rely on your players to know the rules for you. Not only is it annoying for you and all players, but it also might lead to rules changing in the middle of the game.

Even if you don’t know all the rules or all things about the game, be like a Boy Scout: always prepared.

2.1. Dice or No Dice? – Do you have to use dice in your game? Are they a key point in almost all posts? I personally play my games with the skills used in WoD, but as an ST, I aim to have a justification system in place.

Example 1: Sanne’s character Beth has three points in the Hacking skill. The computer that Beth is about to use is owned by a middle-age high school principal who knows very little about computers. Beth is able to hack into the computer with clues found around the room – it turns out he used his wife’s name as his password.

Example 2: Strangedisease’s character Jo has only one point in the craft Sewing. In order for the party to escape the monster coming for them, she has to use an ancient sewing machine to sew together fifteen bed sheets into a rope in five minutes. Unfortunately for the party, it looks like they’re going to have to face the monster head on because after five minutes, Jo is still on the first two sheets.

There are merits to using the dice because they can surprise you. Even if you do use them, make sure that they don’t clutter every action the players make. It’s good to have a blend of both justification and dice rolling. There is nothing wrong with using both systems or one over the other. Decide what is best for you and your game!

3. Storyteller or Player? – Once you know the rules and you’re getting a feel for the gaming system, now is a good time to think about one big questions: Will you play in your own game? You have to ask two major questions to know this. The first being Can I run this game while playing a character in it? the second is Do I have to play in this game to be fun? If it is essential to your game that you can’t play a regular character but you want to, then maybe it’s time to step down and find a freeform game. It’ll be easier on your head if you do.

Of course there is a way to play without playing an official “character”; the dreaded Non-Player Character (NPC from here on). Everyone knows the annoying NPC that just repeats the same phrase in every RPG video game ever made. This is not at all true in Tabletop RPG games! You can have fun coming up with lots of different characters for your players to meet, interact with and even adventure with. Most NPC’s won’t even need their own official character sheet, just a quick description for your own use. You can play long term NPC’s and feel like you’re playing a character while still leading the game.

Being an ST is very important because you guide the players to guide the story. You don’t want to just say “Now go here.” You get to own the world while still letting your players decide where to go. It can be very empowering to know that you know more than your players!

4. What Do Your Players Need to Know? – This is one of the hardest steps. As the ST, you know more about the world, but there is a lot to know about the game too! It’s up to you to decide if you can play with people who know little about the actual system, or if you need to have experienced players.

Take a look at the material and make a choice. Can you do most of this with them, step by step if you need to, or would you rather receive a character sheet that you only need to glance at to read? Make this choice before you look for players and more importantly: make the experience level needed to be clear! There is nothing worse than having to turn a player away because you aren’t clear enough about what you’re looking for. It will make you feel bad about turning them away and it might make a friendship with that person turn sour.

4.1. Decide What Info Needs to be Private – This is another question that directly affects your players and before they even start. You need to figure out what they need in their profiles that can be public.

Let’s say that Kreig_005 is playing Harold, a computer scientist from the Bronx. Should he make his whole profile including the skills he possesses? Should he include his numbers? Do you want your players to only know the absolute basics, the things everyone would know?

If you don’t want your players to put everything on their profile, make it clear before they make a profile and also make sure to list any information you need to be sent to you privately.

For example, on Harold’s profile, it lists what he looks like and his job. Anything that a person could know by asking around might be on there too. “Harold is 5’3” and almost three hundred pounds. His skin is the colour of turkey gravy and always has a sickly sheen. Everyone knows that Harold is a raging alcoholic computer scientist with a love of old cars. He owns two of them in fact and everyone sees him driving around town with the top down. Unfortunately, they also smell him driving around town.” Not in the profile, all the stats are jotted down in point form for the ST to have and use.

You might also ask them to fill out a character sheet and send it to you. There are a lot of websites to help with this. I will add some to the bottom of the guide for your use.

5. Plan Your Game! – This is a hard step. You know what game you’re using, you know what your players need. Certainly you’ve had an idea since the beginning, but now you need to flesh it out.

It is important to note that planning your game doesn’t mean planning the whole thing in minute detail. It means finding a beginning and a place to aim for. It is more fun for everyone if the players guide the story and find themselves working towards something together.

You should always have a story on hand, a place to go, but don’t underestimate your players. Often you’ll find yourself quickly revising so that Jo, Beth and Harold can go to the abandoned elementary school instead of the haunted office building or the spirit infested bus depot.

Planning the game should mean having an idea of what you need to do, where they need to go – but never be surprised if you have to make a few little revisions because your players can’t read your mind!

6. Find Players! – Adverts! Adverts galore! The new roleplay board is dying for your advert, but remember: make it specific. If you need four players, make sure that’s there! If you need one character to be a doctor, make sure that’s there. Don’t just throw up a one sentence request, because you’ll either get the wrong response or none at all!

Bad example: “running a WoD game.”

Good example: “I am looking to run a WoD game with 4 people, I would like one of them to be a doctor. Experience a plus, but not needed. Please, before you make your characters contact me. The game will be set in a small town in the middle of Maine and will start with the four characters exploring an abandoned café.”

Better example: “I am going to be running a World of Darkness game with 4 people. It will be set in the small town of Yellow Rose where there is an abandon café. I need four characters to come together on the same night to explore the café looking for the ghost of a former patron.

I am looking for players who might have some knowledge of the game, but it’s not required! I’m happy to teach you all about the game. I would like to have at least one character be a doctor, but if you’re interested, please contact me. I want to set up a few things before you make a character and I would like to make sure everyone is in line with what I have in mind.”

7. Play and Have Fun! – This is the most vital part! Role play is supposed to be fun, that’s why it’s called play!

Additional Resourses

Path Guy has a bunch of different generators to help you create characters sheets, including D&D, Pathfinder, Dark Sun. Many more are listed under the “fun” section.

D20 SRD has many different resources – think of it like a Player’s Handbook or a Dungeon Master’s Guide that you can search. It also has a section on homebrew!

White Wolf Wikia has resources on their systems; Old and New World of Darkness; Age of Sorrows; Trinity Universe; Scion; and Sword and Sorcery.

Drive Thru RPG is one of the best places to buy RPG books online. There are free items as well as the regular slew of RPG books. They are even divided into genres for people who aren’t sure what you’re looking for! Plus, it’s not just for PDFs, you can also order some physical copies as well.

I am so sorry it's so long. This is the cut down version too.
Ben Moderator

I've got a guide for you!

Character development is never done. Here's a guide about really getting the most out of your character and their roleplay :)
HOW TO MAKE AND EDIT YOUR CHARACTERS:
So, you're new on here and you have no idea what you're going to do. This whole place is about characters, but how to you make one?
RPR will give you a little button that says make a character as soon as you join. They're just nice that way. Once you start making that character however, you may get a little lost (I know I did.) You will get two options: QuickStart Wizard, or Customize By Hand. Customize By Hand is the place you go if you want to do a long description; QuickStart Wizard is where you go if you want something quick, neat and concise and are just starting out. It'll give you a bunch of little categories on what you want to fill in; if you don't want it, you don't have to type it, and if you change your mind, you can delete it using the little red X.
Customize By Hand just lets you run free and do all the typies you want, while QuickStart Wizard has a character limit on some of their text boxes.
If you realize there's a typo or you forgot something later on after you've finished writing your characters out, then what? Do you have to delete it and start all over again like little derpy me did my very first time out?!
No, of course not! Go click on dashboard (mobile users, double tap with thy thumbs) and it'll take you to your list of characters. Click the one you want to edit and hit the little pencils next to what you want to edit. Then make your adjustments and MAKE SURE YOU HIT SAVE CHANGES. Otherwise, it won't save your lovely pages.
Pesto! Complete rabbit rehabilitation!
No, that was something else... Never mind :P
So that's your new character! Play around with him or her, and a lot of other options will become available to you if you want to go back and add a journal or something else.
Hope this helped! Happy role playing!

And another very short one compared to the last one:

HOW TO ADD WIDGETS (for all you mobile users out there):
I mostly write this for iPhone users... I have no idea how androids and things work. Sorry :/ I hope this helps anyways, or gives you an idea.
Widgets can be very frustrating to mobile users; how do you get the dang thing on the page?! You've tried to click and drag, but it just doesn't work on a derpy little phone screen. How do you get it on there? Quick, before you kill your phone!
The answer is surprisingly simple and I found it out by accident.
Double tap the widget you want to be out on the page (for example: text box, journal, gallery, ect.), and poof. There it is.
IT'S MAGIC!
Just keep double tapping that little widget box until it pops up on your screen. It'll happen at some point.
Hope this helps! Happy... Widgeting!
So... this Tutorial was almost my untimely end.

I yelled at it. I cried at it. I threatened to delete it... multiple times.

Finally, we came to an understanding and the Google Doc result can be viewed here:

The Highjinx Method for Character Building

I hope it's pleasing to everyone.

XOXO Jinx <3
Sanne Moderator

Highjinx wrote:

Finally, we came to an understanding and the Google Doc result can be viewed here:

XOXO Jinx <3

Wow, those sheets at the end are an awesome touch! Did you draw those yourself? :D
Sanne wrote:
Highjinx wrote:

XOXO Jinx <3

Wow, those sheets at the end are an awesome touch! Did you draw those yourself? :D

Thank you! Yes I did. I tried to draw them as generic as possible. I wanted there to be sheets at the end that people could print off and draw on. That way they could draw scars, piercings, make notes, etc
Sanne Moderator

Highjinx wrote:
Thank you! Yes I did. I tried to draw them as generic as possible. I wanted there to be sheets at the end that people could print off and draw on. That way they could draw scars, piercings, make notes, etc

That's absolutely fantastic!! Amazing job, well done! <3

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Official Contest: Tutorials

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus