Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » What's something weird that comforts you?

Mina Moderator

Darkness. Legitimate darkness. If all sources of light are covered/turned off and I can hide under the blankets I'm less worried about what exists outside of my little void nest.
what do i do? Eh these days ... i just binge watched cringey christmas romance movies ... -.- which is highly unusual for me lmao
Do this weird thing where I'll pick a thread loose on specifically my left-hand sleeve and just kind of fidget/roll it between my fingers even if it starts rubbing the skin off.
I’ve got a few things I do that comfort me.

1: rp with friends and let me emotions out through my characters.

2: play my truck driving sim. Nothing like driving on a open road to forgot my troubles

3: put my headphones on and meditate listening to relaxing nature music.

4: Hang upside down on the sofa and close my eyes also helps.
Cigar smell. Especially the residual smell, more than the active smoke. I was never really influenced to the smoke.

My grandpa, dad, and best friend's dad all smoked cigars.

The smell of their cars sticks with me to this day. If I get in a car or room that smells like old cigars, i just want to curl up and go to sleep.
Rogue-Scribe

MFManda wrote:
Cigar smell. Especially the residual smell, more than the active smoke. I was never really influenced to the smoke.

My grandpa, dad, and best friend's dad all smoked cigars.

The smell of their cars sticks with me to this day. If I get in a car or room that smells like old cigars, i just want to curl up and go to sleep.

Yeah, sames except it was pipe tobacco. :)

Like Lanx said, headphones and one of my playlists is really comforting, but I didn't really consider it weird.
Mm, certain smells, lots of weather conditions, sitting next to someone on a bed or couch, especially if it has an interesting texture... Drinking ice water, running, cleaning off sweat (like the washcloth thing some people have mentioned here), drinking a tasty beverage. :P
The sound of train horns. I grew up semi close to train tracks, and would hear the horn go off when I was awake around three in the morning. It was oddly comforting then, and still is now.
Weird things?

Diesel fumes, low tide, and alligators. All three were constants at my permanent duty station when I was enlisted, and the smells and sights remind me of simpler times.

Not quite so weird, but strenuous physical activity. Being physically too busy and working too hard to be able to consciously think, and just turning my mind off for a while. Usually I'll wind up too knackered to think until the next morning, and my brain will do its own filing while I'm 'not looking'.
LowRezCrab Topic Starter

68_dare wrote:
The sound of train horns. I grew up semi close to train tracks, and would hear the horn go off when I was awake around three in the morning. It was oddly comforting then, and still is now.

Me too! Being close to trains when I’m sleeping is the best. I have a camping spot a little bit away from some tracks by a river. I always sleep so well when it comes by. I grew up in a house I could hear them all the time, I guess it subconsciously stuck
iolhantheX

This is interesting... I like everyone's additions, the book thing I get completely. I used to do that and occasionally still do.

I'm not sure if these are weird or odd, but the smell of old spice, since it's what my SO wears, is deeply comforting.

I like touching things, like if you've ever had a blanket that changes colors if you pet it one way or another? I embarrassingly have quite a few "fidget" toys. My favorite is a "spin" ring, it's pretty and fun.

I really dislike winter, so I find it comforting to lay under some bright lights with the heater on when I'm grumpy. (I really really love summer and spend hours sleeping in the sun)
I also enjoy sitting on the floor of a big open space, preferably a carpeted room.

I'm comforted by habits. Daily habits and lists/schedules, things being planned out in advance. I wear a lot of the same clothes in the same combination.
LakotaSiouxWarrior

I live right by the police station and railroad tracks. Some nights all I hear are trains and police sirens.
I enjoy opening all the windows in winter.
Queen_of_Hell

Typically it helps me when it's very foggy outside (and where I'm from, it gets like that pretty often). I just simply open the window and stare at just this wall of grey, trees just barely poking into the view or if its night, look at the white and yellow orbs of light just barely fighting through the thick sheet of smoke. It's so comforting to me, I don't know why. Especially when its night time, there's no noises and people. It's very serene.

My less weird one and probably pretty normal way is basically me talking to myself and telling myself what I need to hear in that moment, repeat that nothing matters to the point where I'm stressing my hair out.
LakotaSiouxWarrior

I take extremely long drives in my car.
North-Wood

The scent of the one I love. My nose can't do it's job worth 2 cents, but I can smell people's scents.
It's really interesting reading what comforts people. Most things seem rather common, and I just want to say no one has anything to feel bad about for what comforts them <3

I'm just gonna toss this out here even tho I'm nervous about it but, I have a pacifier I use when really stressed out, nervous, can't sleep. I used to be really embarrassed to the point of hiding it even in front of people who are my friends, but it makes me feel better so. *shrug*
Weird?

Biting. I don't mean chewing gum or such. I mean actually biting people. And, in particular... them allowing it. (But I don't like to be bitten myself.)

It's pretty rare for me to do it anymore, and there are few people I'll do it to. In the past, it also usually only happened when I was riled up and kinda goofy (basically, when I was most likely to act on impulse).

When folks allow it, I get a dual positivity out of it. For one, there's just the sense of acceptance. They don't mind that I'm a rediculous weirdo who bites people. For two, and apologies if this seems creepy in context, but there's something strangely pleasant about the physical sensation. I'd try going into more detail, but I think that would end up seeming more creepy and not actually achieve anything.

As a bonus, those who allow it barely react. They might look at me, might even make a comment, but they pretty much ignore it - and if I am riled up, that non-reaction manages to serve as a gentle reminder to, well, basically control myself a little better. It provides a little boost to my self-awareness.
A cat purring....
This only just occurred to me because I'm currently doing it, but when I have an animal that's in its final hours I play them music? Like, quiet classical music. I also amass some of their favourite things to bury them with. Not sure why-- I'm not particularly spiritual. It just makes me feel a bit better. Hopefully it does the same for them.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » What's something weird that comforts you?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus