Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » How much would you lose if RPR poofed today?

EdtheNeko

Just something that came to mind due to a few rp sites disappearing off the net as of late.

A few of these sites held thousands of char profiles, info, images ect. Without warning one of these sites went offline for good and everything was lost. Now I am not implying rpr will do the same, however its always good to keep backups of images and info elsewhere just encase.

So to my question: How much would you lose if RPR disappeared from the net without warning?
EdtheNeko Topic Starter

Myself: I would lose all info on my char (besides a bit I have on memory), as I had moved everything from a free site thing I used before in the past to here. Images however, I have backed up elsewhere on the net.

edit: I guess it helps I use Furcadia, so I'll have my char and still have contact with some friends.
The friends i have made would be the biggest thing.
... Oh god. Rpr is about to collapse. TO THE BOMB SHELTER! *grabs charries and runs*

HeheheI'dloseeverything. Everything but the pictures. I have those on my phone.

Lol. Don't even think about it, Kim.
Only data I would lose would be characters made for specific groups/plots which would make them useless if the site went down.

I would miss a few nice people I met on here as well tho.
Well, I'd lose a bunch of character descriptions and the such, that's for sure. I've not all of them saved. But what's worse to lose is the close knit community I have grown attached to!

Ugh, I dread to think RPR might disappear. If that happens I'd probably look like this for a week straight.
I_has_a_sad.gif
I'd lose my fricken mind. Then I'd get a hold of Kim and beg/cry/plead/all manner of degrading and pathetic behavior (generally reserved for addicts) to turn RPR back on.

4942655480_67e81a7a84_z.jpg

I'd also miss my friends from here, though thankfully I've been adding them to facebook. Slowly but surely.

Excuse me, now I have to go back up all my characters in case of an emergency.
What if Kim gets assassinated by a bunch of anti-RP ninjas? o: Though she does have some excellent dinosaur bodyguards.
Earendill wrote:
What if Kim gets assassinated by a bunch of anti-RP ninjas? o: Though she does have some excellent dinosaur bodyguards.

I'd eat them!

5752_177022832347cb0aaecc788.jpg
I ditto Rynh. I would lose a lot of awesome characters, but more importantly I would lose a whole bunch of my awesome friends and great RPs that I've had. RPR is actually a big part of my life, and I'm glad it is so! I wouldn't be able to handle it if anything happened to our beloved RPR!
tumblr_mebkmqow5R1ritteso1_500.gif
Why-Was-I-Given-Emotions-Lord-Of-The-Rings.gif
tumblr_lttbosvhkm1qht847.gif
EVERYTHING

... Not really, but I should start backing up all the information I have on my characters. Just in case.
Tar

A whole lot, which I am now backing up in two formats - even then I'd still be like:

no_zps97d4aa63.gif

nonono_zps538a3583.gif

noooo_zps60c77688.gif

tempertantrum_zps9902fb1b.gif

cry_zps540cb886.gif

rage_zps1cc89869.gif
I think first, there would be a short period of surprise and chatter.
0sBMz4m.gif

Then, off to Freewebs.
Wtv8ga7.gif
My sanity.
tumblr_mru494arpP1qzin9uo1_500.png
This question only exists in my nightmares.

dWFp2KP.gif
I'd lose... a great deal. A few characters who're only on this site, though a couple of those I could probably save from memory and because they're based on original universes of mine...

But still, I'd lose characters, info on characters... no images because I still have no images of my characters...

But most of all I'd lose all my RPR rping partners and friends..........

Oh god... no I'm going o have nightmares about this site dying. Thanks awfully.
Kim Site Admin

I would lose...
  • the amazing community of thousands that I have come to absolutely cherish
  • a source of joy and pride
  • my favorite place to RP
  • one of my main creative outlets
  • hundreds, if not thousands of hours of work that I've done to create and expand the RPR over the last 3+ years.
  • my mind

But oddly not my character profiles, as I have backed them all up using the "print character sheet" feature! For those of you wanting to easily back up your character info, go to your dashboard, click the pencil next to the character's name, and then click the print icon! Choose what you want included and you'll be given all your character info organized into one place and specially styled to work well with a printer.

Also also, since I've been fielding a lot of PMs about this, let me reassure you all that I have no plans to ever take the RPR down! So long as I can afford it the site will remain open, and we finally have enough Epic members these days that the site can pay to keep itself open. Thank you Epic members for keeping the site open and free!

In fact I think when I eventually draft a will I'd want to include provisions for keeping the RPR online as long as I could... No one would be here to fix bugs or whatever, but you could all use it until it decayed into dust. XD

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » How much would you lose if RPR poofed today?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus