Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Official Masquerade Topic - Winter 2020

Sarthelia's vigilant listening cued her in to Cassia's melodic voice and the light crunch of snow beneath Annai's heels. But one sound seemingly caught her attention more than the rest, a single exhale that sounded quite unusual. The sound belonged to a woman standing at the edge of the events, observing silently it seemed. Xefry seemed to express a similar interest, subtly shifting his body weight towards the Dragoness. Sarthelia couldn't hold the urge back and began walking towards the Dragoness slowly, her bare feet making minimal noise in the snow as she approached. She stopped short, looking at the people wearing horse skulls for masks. Clearly they were a different brand of eccentric based on their accents. She continued her strides once more, stopping arms distance from the dragoness.
Maw (played by beschun)

Maw's red eyes flicked over to Cassia as she got their attention, eyebrows raising under their mask at the sang request. They put down the fork holding some cake and turned to face her properly, face stoic as ever but an effectively soothing voice coming out of their mouth.

"Oh, I see... I'll allow it," they breathed out, removing their own cat-like mask and offering it to her. Though it didn't show as well, Maw was rather amused at the proposition as sleepily lidded eyes watched Cassia.
The Duchess (played by Kim) Topic Starter

The feet visible under the sheet begin to jig about, as the puppeteer works their horse skull, issuing a general challenge.

"This tradition of old
says we must battle
in the glade so cold
while my skull's a-rattle

It's not just booze I seek
also honeyed meats and cheeses
so don't let your tongue be meek
speak to me a rhyme that pleases!

Bet you can't, or bet you won't
you'll never beat me, oh no you don't!
The rhyming king am I, so clever
The victor of words I'll be forever!"
A glimpse of relief was given in the brief moment her face was revealed as she turned away from the crowds to exchange her own mask for Maw's. Once she had slipped the mask over her face, she would dip into an even lower courtesy before reaching out a hand to shake. This time when she spoke, her voice was normal and bright but with no song to carry it.

"I thank you for your kindness. For the Masquerade I am simply Cass. And it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." I do hope a few moments with my mask will not send you amiss. There seems to be strange magic at play here. Exciting indeed." Her voice was conspiratorial as she regarded the other being.
Krillian Tawny Naida (played anonymously)

She listened carefully to what he said concerning the spell, not wanting to forget a detail in case it may be useful later. The way he explained it made it seem that the whole ordeal didn't bother him too much, but if he wasn't bothered then he would not have asked for help surely. She convinced herself that the chances of this being a trick were very slim based on that. Though she wasn't fond of the idea of not being able to stop dancing for an unknown amount of time, she didn't want to walk away and refuse to help, it would stay on her conscience. The young woman thought thoroughly about the situation and possibilities before responding. "Of course I shall help then...though I wonder if dancing with an object...or maybe with whoever cast the spell, would permanently put it to a stop...", she spoke her thoughts cautiously and a lightly furrowed set of eyebrows in thought, keeping eye contact with him as best she could, so hopefully he would sense her willingness to help, and not excuses for holding off on helping.
The Dragoness (played anonymously)

The just-audible sound of footsteps coming from the side drew the Dragoness' attention in that direction. The figure approaching her appeared to be another woman--how old she was or where she might hail from was hard to discern, but the scaled creature perched on her shoulder looked like some species of dragons.

As one might expect--or perhaps not expect--the Dragoness was very familiar with dragons, at least the ones she knew. This one however, if it was a dragon, wasn't one she recognized. All the same, it was enough to pull her out of her shell so that she spoke first when the newcomer came to stand nearby.

"Good evening," she greeted, still a little clumsy with what to say but growing steadily more at ease. "Delightful affair, isn't it?"

Her pale eyes peered at the newcomer's smaller companion from under her horned mask, curiously observing the pair.

((@Annette Brown, can you clarify who it was that you bumped into?))
Sarthelia nodded and smiled, her lips curled upward being one of the few features of her face that could be distinguished. "Quite so, I never would have expected such a gathering out here." Her words were soft but carried themselves over the din of the masquerade. She spoke with a gentle cadence and rhythm, with certain syllables being stressed more than others.

Xefry spread his wings, and then swung his head side to side while looking at the Dragoness. He had a friendly disposition about his actions, seemingly almost affectionate in a way. "It seems Xefry has taken a liking to you. You perhaps wouldn't be related to dragons would you? He has a soft spot for his distant relatives." She said softly, Xefry pressing himself to Sarthelia's neck in an affectionate manner.
Itsuki Touyo (played anonymously)

Ah the meals at this place was so heavenly. Each bite was bursting with flavor. Tapping his full belly with one hand while gnawing on a huge bone with another, Itsuki leaned back and let out a sigh. There seemed to be people coming in and going out about the tables. He finished off his meal with a huge goblet full of whatever drink he got (he didn't care). Some sweetness and citrus? Whatever, it did not matter to him. Wiping off his mouth, the samurai pulled up his mask all the way to his nose.

This place would not be that bad if it wasn't for all this stench of magic.

Back to business. Who would be the one in charge of this place? It had to be some sort of mage. Ituski scanned the room. Creatures, that he has never seen before all were moving about, some dancing, others singing, and the most annoying part of all of it was that he could understand them (definitely magic). There was a girl though, slender, and light complexion. She seemed to have a sword on her back, but also a tome in hand. Mage. She must be a mage. Perhaps she was the duchess.

Itsuki stood up on hand on his sheath, and walked over to the silver haired girl.

"You there." He said in a loud deep voice to get her attention, "what is your name?"

His brown eyes stared straight at her, his body ready for any retaliation that might happen.
The Dragoness (played anonymously)

Her somewhat stiff posture and expression immediately relaxed upon noting Xefry's friendly attitude, and she gave the little winged lizard an acknowledging bob of the head. In response to the woman's question, the Dragoness straightened and replied, "Ah...yes, but--no, not...not exactly."

She glanced briefly around, uncertain about speaking of such things as her past or origin in such a crowded setting. But, this stranger seemed nice enough--and her companion was definitely welcome, as far as the Dragoness was concerned. "I am...well acquainted with dragons, you might say," she went on, tilting her head from side to side. "And you? He seems to like you a great deal. Where I come from, one rarely sees a dragon--or a dragon's relative--being so companionable."
Itsuki Touyo (played anonymously)

Itsuki Touyo wrote:
Ah the meals at this place was so heavenly. Each bite was bursting with flavor. Tapping his full belly with one hand while gnawing on a huge bone with another, Itsuki leaned back and let out a sigh. There seemed to be people coming in and going out about the tables. He finished off his meal with a huge goblet full of whatever drink he got (he didn't care). Some sweetness and citrus? Whatever, it did not matter to him. Wiping off his mouth, the samurai pulled up his mask all the way to his nose.

This place would not be that bad if it wasn't for all this stench of magic.

Back to business. Who would be the one in charge of this place? It had to be some sort of mage. Ituski scanned the room. Creatures, that he has never seen before all were moving about, some dancing, others singing, and the most annoying part of all of it was that he could understand them (definitely magic). Next to some sort of puppeteer, there was a girl though, slender, and light complexion. She seemed to have a sword on her back, but also a tome in hand. Mage. She must be a mage. Perhaps she was the duchess.

Itsuki stood up on hand on his sheath, and walked over to the silver haired girl.

"You there." He said in a loud deep voice to get her attention, "what is your name?"

His brown eyes stared straight at her, his body ready for any retaliation that might happen.
After a few moments of silence I. Which Cassia stood beside Maw and watched the rest of the revelry, she rocked back and forth a few times on her slippered feet, her hands tapping a rhythm with the dance music as she watched the strange bony creature that seemed to have chased Alfred off. Finally she would turn toward Maw and grin.

"Well then. I suppose I had better let you have your mask back now. You were helpful to the utmost, and whatever had latched on to me now seems to have dissipated." She would to see if the other being would acquiesce to another shift in masks, but she didn't want keep it for long.

Once the masks had been exchanged once more, she felt it was time to finally partake in the food service. The cake that Maw had had called to her and she wandered towars the buffet to select a small plate of delicacies to enjoy before finding herself a nice bench in the background to enjoy it at. People watching was a favorite pastimeof hers and now she could do it without worry over proper manners. Picking up a frosted cherry between her fingers, she popped it into her mouth, letting out a soft sigh of delight.

Yes. She would enjoy the remainder of the evening to its fullest... While staying out from under further enchantment, she hoped.
'And I thought I had seen crowds'.... the masked woman thought as her gaze trailed over the masquerade that unraveled like a living, moving, ever-shifting tapestry. Like the currents of the ocean, the crowd seemed to know no true direction, yet was steady in its flow. And such curious looking masks too; some traditionals, other fanciful and imaginative.

She let herself follow the tide for a few, contemplating the masks that passed her by and occasionally getting distracted by the decorations. Then she moved a little to the back of the room, so as not to be in the way of the dancers. A nearby table offered a great variety of refreshments, both in terms of drinks and food, but her expression was blank as she looked it over.
((I have thoroughly enjoyed myself, yet it is time to take my leave. Thank you for hosting such a marvelous idea <3 cheers I may pop in at a later time!))
Maw (played by beschun)

Cassia's mask now over their face, an odd feeling overcame Maw. Despite that, they shook hands with her and a shadow of a smile crossed their lips as she thanked them and spoke. Unfortunately, when Maw tried to speak, nothing came out but a mild squeak. Not to be dissuaded from the conversation, however, Maw coughed slightly and made what they hoped was a good enough gesture to show that they couldn't speak anymore towards their throat.

Maw did know how to overpower such a spell cast over them... but where would be the fun in that? They only hoped writing wasn't cheating at this little amusing game, as it certainly wasn't the same as speaking, was it? Motioning for Cassia to hand over, well, a hand, they made a little writing motion on their own palm to try to communicate that they'd still like to speak to her.

(edit: wow, rotten timing huh--)

((Thanks for attending, Cassia! Was great to have you here!))
Gustav Dirksen (played anonymously)

Gustav listened to the suggestion, although he was unsure if it would work he was willing to give it a shot, even if it came at the expense of his dignity, he wouldn't want to risk it backfiring on him and ending up not working, thus forcing having to find another person. He didn't think that going back to Torie would do him much good, "That's a good theory, I'll try to give dancing with an object a shot to see if it works, thank you, miss" he thanked her before he made his way desperately to the other end of the gala to dance with an inanimate object, far enough from the crowd so he wouldn't be spotted, hopefully, this didn't backfire and he begged quietly that nobody would see him.

((Edit: Yo this might be my last post?? I'm pretty spent, this has been awesome. I might come back later but I'm not sure lol. Have fun y'all <3
Renia (played anonymously)

renia looks at the horse skull. " does the rhyming song have to make sense?" she asked as she looks around humming a rhyming. " If i win will you get me a drink?" she asked.

As no one steps up to the challenge issued by the horse skull, the jigging feet under the sheet only go faster and faster, and giggles of delight are heard from under the sheet.

"Too late! Too late!
I'm such a beaut
With my great rhymes
I've struck you mute
and left you all mimes!

So without delay
I'll drink all your wine
and take my pay
Your wassal is mine!"

With that, the group of people under the sheet grab hold of the edge of a tablecloth on the nearest table of refreshments, and tug. Weirdly, every platter and cup stays fixed to the table cloth as if by magic. The group under the sheet begin to prance back out into the forest, dragging the tablecloth of food behind them, and as they do, suddenly every wine barrel and dish on every other table begins to roll and bounce after them, out into the dark evergreen woods.
Annette Brown (played by Claywind)

((@Game Master: wanted to bump into the Dragoness. Apologies if it was not clearer.))

Annette quickly disengaged from the mishap to approach the very odd skull figure. It had spoken haunting verses, before and she was curious about their meaning.

"Hello," she greeted as she approached the retreating skulled horse with some apprehension. So far, her attempts at mingling had been mostly failures. "Sorry to bother you; what were those rhymes you spoke earlier?"

She liked poetry, even if she knew almost nothing of it, but the rythms of the words had a magic of their own.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Official Masquerade Topic - Winter 2020

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus