Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Why Do You Roleplay?

I've always wondered what reasons people roleplay for. Some people roleplay because it is like an interactive book and others roleplay because they can get their "quick fix" on a certain topic that they like, but there is certainly more nuance to why people roleplay than that. So, that begs the question, why do you roleplay? What do you look for in a roleplay?
PinkBrat

I roleplay because it is kind of like a book. It's impossible to find a book out there that has everything you want in a story. I can create my own or even tweak a story I like to make it better.

When I first started to roleplay I was trying to write a book. I used roleplay to help me shape characters and figure out the direction of the story.

Now I like roleplaying much better than writing any book. At best I'll write short stories. I roleplay now because it's fun, makes me happy, and is a good way to take me away from my stressful life.
Conqueeftador Topic Starter

An interesting reason! I guess I'm a bit similar! I love writing, but roleplay is able to hold my attention better than writing by myself.
To quote Brennan Lee Mulligan in the series Exandria Unlimited: Calamity, "Why do we tell stories? To try to make sense of a world that can be terrifying and enormous."

That phrase resonated something deep in me, gave words to things I only felt. Not everyone can be a published author, and so many people out there would rather tear down something you build, so RPing is like the second best thing one can to sate the itch to write. However, the joy of RP that I haven't seen from writing is that you're opening your world to someone, something you have close to your heart, and allowing someone to build it with you in a shared space and developing it with them, reaching to greater heights, twists and turns with your plot.

I RP because I love to create things with other people, to put imagination to good use and build on things. Collaboration is such a great thing when done right, and finding the right partner is akin to finding a strand of hay in a needlestack at times.
fig

im sort of lonely by nature, ive been lonely for as long as i can remember? and rping became a way for me to write, because i love(d) to read, and a way for me to connect with others. i often feel alien and and strange and apart and like i dont fit anywhere, like im too much or too weird. but rp lets me be weird, and make weird characters, and meet people who are likeminded.

isn't that crazy? to make a weird little guy and someone else sees your weird little guy, and likes him, and then both of your weird little guys hang out (just like you and your partner are) and then you become friends for years because you're both weird, too.

rp is good for the soul, i think; i wouldn't trade it for anything.
To creatively write, to distil it down.
fig wrote:
isn't that crazy? to make a weird little guy and someone else sees your weird little guy, and likes him, and then both of your weird little guys hang out (just like you and your partner are) and then you become friends for years because you're both weird, too.

This. Lol I don't know how to explain.. is like the sanctity of the kitchen where you experience the holy by making food for and with the people you love. But like with writing. And with people on the other side of the world that binds me with empathy. And it seems like a stretch, when we're just playing our weird little guys being gay and doing crimes, but also it's the same thing
Conqueeftador Topic Starter

fig wrote:
im sort of lonely by nature, ive been lonely for as long as i can remember? and rping became a way for me to write, because i love(d) to read, and a way for me to connect with others. i often feel alien and and strange and apart and like i dont fit anywhere, like im too much or too weird. but rp lets me be weird, and make weird characters, and meet people who are likeminded.

rp is good for the soul, i think; i wouldn't trade it for anything.

I love your explanation for it! Lmao!
When I was little I didn't know I had so many stories inside of me, so much magic. Collaborative writing is the one thing I've been able to bond over with others. I have hobbies outside of it, but none I'm being able to share. Fig and Hex both explained this more eloquently than I really can lmao
Luscinioide

well i mean, somebody's gotta bring retrofuturistic cyberpunk cyborg butch lesbians being gay and doing crime to the RP community, and if not me then who the hell else?

lolno i don't have a good reason, i don't take rp seriously at all, i just like writing dumb shit while having a partner in crime who also enjoys writing dumb shit. nothing more nothing less
Can’t motivate myself to write my books ‘n make my comics, so strayed onto here instead. Ended up meetin’ a bunch of awesome friends that I simply enjoy playing these silly lil’ games with, hehe. So, yeah, shoutout to my homies.
Because I like making stuff with other people.

There's just no real gratification in anything if it doesn't have a social element to me. Writing books or making comics is spending a lot of time in a dark corner by myself and I guess the light at the end of those tunnels for me has always been to share what I make and talk to other people about my ideas.

I didn't find any joy as a writer. I found catharsis for my own reasons, but little to complete me. I find joy in art mostly when streaming, doing challenges, or collaborating. I don't do it for its own sake and never really have.

Weird that I'm still an introvert when I need others to have fun, heh.
ChebaTheBee

I roleplay because I love storytelling (such as creating characters, their relationships and their backstories)! I find the idea of improvising stories with other people interesting and fun, especially if it's with the right folks! Some of the things I also like to write would be found family or wacky silly things for laughs (and some spooky scary skeletons level type of stuff that's not for kids too). But, I also use some of my characters as a form of comfort in writing as well, so I suppose this could also be another reason (?) as to why I roleplay that kind of stuff.
I actually had dreams of becoming an Actor. I loved being in front of the camera and had an absolute blast in Drama class when I was in school. But I'm ultimately glad I never became an Actor (for many good reasons). So, Role-Playing is the closest I'll ever come to that. I LOVE creating characters and Role-Playing with people. In a way, its just like Acting in front of a camera except your at a keyboard typing it up instead of acting it and reciting lines.

I don't do a ton of world building or creating lore, but I do like that as well. ^_^
I like writing and it is a escape from reality at many times; I don't have many friends at school too.
An escape from reality, where things are harsh, and my imagination is limited to the logic and laws of reality. In RP, i can essentially do whatever i want. It’s amazing, because i can use my imagination to it’s full. It also helps me make game design ideas for the future.
I call it a nice little escape from reality thats fueled by my love of fiction

(Also the people here are cool, gotta love em)
Because i refused to back up with the source- (Haha incorrect summary of metal gear rising go BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR)
Mmm.. Writing is a form of thinking and when I RP, I can come across better ideas than if I hadn't. And these ideas may wind up contributing to my portfolio. Second, I love to write. Always have. Either fictionally, technically, informatively, persuasively.. It's not like movies that provide you an image. I think it takes a different kind of skill to successfully harness words to present an image or scene in someone's head and hopefully to the degree that you wish them to imagine it. Lastly, it helps me to expand on my speech. How I write is indeed how I talk. While it's not nice to judge others by how they speak, it will happen. I find that speaking how I write actually makes me a better person to be around socially, and memorable. You'd be surprised the places you end up by being a little more clever with how you speak.

Ah, one more thing. Perspective. I like to see through multiple perspectives which is something us all of us largely do through our characters. It's an amazing skill to have and it gives me some humility when it comes to understanding others.
I rp because Its fun! My more recent push into it has been because I fell out of it for a while and let some old partners lead me to think of it as a chore and an obligation. So now I'm getting back into it refusing to let it stress me out

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Why Do You Roleplay?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus