Skip to main content

Forums » Forum Games » The Bah Humbug Giveaway! (Completed!)

The Bah Humbug Giveaway!

giphy.gif
You know what we haven't had enough of recently? Giveaways! Sanne's very generous giveaway has inspired me to throw my hat in the ring. Now I'm not much for the Christmas Spirit or all that nonsense, but I can get behind a season of giving. I love giving presents and who doesn't like free stuff?! So here we go!

I have a bunch of fun stuff to give away!

-An Enchanted Wardrobe!
-A Dragon's Tooth!
-An Oil of Epicness!
-A Page Torn From A Magic Book!
-A Red Enchanted Silk Cloak!

Let's make Scrooge proud!

giphy.gif

(Yes, Michael Caine in Muppet Christmas Carol is best Scrooge in best Christmas Carol adaptation #FightMe)

If you want to enter, just respond to this thread with your best 'bah humbug' gif, story, meme, etc! Holiday mishaps. Crazy White Elephant gifts. Exploding turkey fryers. Nothing mean spirited or nasty. This is all in good fun. It also doesn't need to be specifically Christmas either! New Years parties gone wild! Hanukkah candles that won't light! If you celebrate it and it went wrong, I wanna know! Funny gifs, pictures, memes are also encouraged.

RULES!

-Winners will be decided by dice roll here on the thread by the RPR dice roller. I will roll consecutively for each prize.

-I will roll for winners on December 21st 10pm Central.

-I reserve the right to disqualify you for being rude to me, other contestants or for inappropriate entries.

-One entry per person. User accounts only. No anonymous!

-Good luck, in both this giveaway and the craziness yet to come!

giphy.gif
Thank you so much for hosting this! This is amazingly generous of you!

I don't know if this story from a recent Christmas party is very "bah humbug", but I do enjoy it!

So, we had a White Elephant gift exchange with my coworkers recently. One of them was so proud of the gift he got, he wouldn't even tell me what it was. And then I found out at the party. . .

He challenged the recipient of the present to a Saw-movie-like game. Basically, he included a lottery ticket, but in order to claim the lottery ticket, the recipient had to eat one from an entire package of Chinese century eggs. For those who don't know what those are, they're marinated eggs that have been fermenting in clay and ash for weeks to months on end. I heard they're very delicious, especially from one of my coworkers, but goodness they smell awful.

And yes, he did include a Saw-style letter, starting with "Let's play a game. . ."!
Aww this is an awesome and very sweet thing to do!

The Grinch is my fave Bah Humbug type of character. Not to mention Jim Carrey is one of my faves.
ab66447e51f8add56c3f84119fe8c062_w200.gif
First and foremost. Micheal Caine as Scrooge is literally the best movie ever. #backuptothefightme

Although Fred Flintstone as Scoorge in the Flintstones Christmas Carol is definitely a close second.

tangible.gif

But onto my story.

One Christmas morning, my mom and I were making breakfast for everybody, and since our house was small, I was passing it out to everybody.

I went to bring it to my cousin who was sitting in one of our living room chairs. My moronic self trips on ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, and I dump a hot plate of breakfast all over him, with the bacon balanced perfectly on his shoulder.

The kicker? When the crash was finished, he looks at the perfectly balanced bacon, then up at me and without missing a beat, says, “You forgot the ketchup.” And proceeds to eat the bacon. 😅😭🤣
My bah humbug moment happened in October when my husband gifted me, not 1, not 2 but 3 christmas ornaments for my birthday. This was 3 of my 5 presents... now every time we decorate the tree we have a good laugh because i was definitely a grinch about getting christmas ornaments for my birthday lol
My Bah Humbug moment began when I was five years old and ended when I was seven. It's a rather long moment, but it's how I discovered there was no Santa Clause.

When I was five we went to my grandparents house on my mother's side. She is one of six children and, at the time, there were only four of us grandkids. So, naturally, the grown ups got the bedrooms and the kids were on the floor in the livingroom. My two oldest cousins got the couches, my next oldest cousin got the recliner and I was on the floor. For whatever reason I decided to sleep under the fireplace. I live in Houston, Texas and it was hot as Hades so, no, it wasn't lit. But there were eighteen stocking hung on the mantle, which is where my story goes wrong.

My grandparents got up at 4am to put out presents and stuff the stockings. Well, grandpa didn't see me and stepped on my head. I start screaming, woke everyone up and, sure enough I got a black eye. What's the conclusion the five year old comes up with? Santa hates me.

Now I'm six and spending Christmas at my grandparents on my father's side. Long story short, I wake up Christmas morning with a kitten in my stocking with a note saying 'I'm Sorry'

Now I'm seven and back at my grandparents on my mother's side. Same situation, adults in bedrooms, kids in the livingroom. Only this year I don't go to sleep. I'm stubborn and set on revenge. You can only imagine my surprise when at 4am I watch my grandparents sneak in and start putting the presents out. Once more, I start crying loud enough to wake almost the whole house up because not only is Santa not real, but my entire family lied to me for two years while I was ridiculed by my cousins about Santa hating me, AND my grandpa didn't say he was sorry.

Happy Holidays!!
Sanne Moderator

Oh this is so much fun!! Thank you so much Dndmama!

I'm not entering, but I'd love to give you a little boost with a reply. ;) I hope everyone has a good time and good luck everyone!
This is so nice, thank you for doing this!

I have a small humbug story and a gif to accompany it for flavor. 😂

AbandonedCorruptCottontail-size_restricted.gif

I was about three or four when my parents came into my room super excited (it was 5 am), telling me that Santa had come. I quietly came out into the living room, gave the tree full of presents one deadpan look (while being filmed, might I add) then I turn heel and walk back to my room. I didn’t want ANYTHING to do with Christmas, I was a sleepy baby, and I wanted everyone to leave me alone and let me SLEEP! The presents can WAIT.

We still laugh about it to this day. The only time my parents were more hyped than I was!
#Fights!! 57befc67-e178-434d-90c6-4e87ca75797d_text.gif Bill Murray is the best Scrooge!

Bah humbug indeed! I found out very early Santa wasn't real, that is neither here nor there. At the age of 8, I started working with my family doing wagon and carriage rides, Santa arrivals, pictures, and all that at big malls and stuff. So every year from black Friday to New Year, every weekend was booked, busy, and dealing with Christmas stuff. 12-14 hrs a day 2 times a week I had to decorate trees, and set up Santa's wonderland. I had to dress up as ninja turtles, and care bears, Barney was the worst... Had to chase and threaten teenagers as Barney... anyways.

The entire time listening to Christmas songs, or trying to get a wagon full of people to start singing... Which is always great... So by the time Christmas came around everyone was over it. We had sayings like, if we see Rudolf we are swerving off the road to hit him, or if we see that fat man on a roof we are gonna shoot him.

So I didn't get to enjoy a Christmas again till I had kids, and even then I am still lukewarm about it all. We always have a big party on new years day and celebrate instead.
Dndmama Topic Starter

Avelithe wrote:
This is so nice, thank you for doing this!

I have a small humbug story and a gif to accompany it for flavor. 😂

AbandonedCorruptCottontail-size_restricted.gif

I was about three or four when my parents came into my room super excited (it was 5 am), telling me that Santa had come. I quietly came out into the living room, gave the tree full of presents one deadpan look (while being filmed, might I add) then I turn heel and walk back to my room. I didn’t want ANYTHING to do with Christmas, I was a sleepy baby, and I wanted everyone to leave me alone and let me SLEEP! The presents can WAIT.

We still laugh about it to this day. The only time my parents were more hyped than I was!

Me me me! This was me almost every year! We would spend Christmas Eve at my aunt's house and always leave super late so every Christmas morning I was always grouchy and indignant at being woken up by my parents for presents. XD
Dndmama Topic Starter

TroyLocke wrote:
#Fights!! 57befc67-e178-434d-90c6-4e87ca75797d_text.gif Bill Murray is the best Scrooge!

Bah humbug indeed! I found out very early Santa wasn't real, that is neither here nor there. At the age of 8, I started working with my family doing wagon and carriage rides, Santa arrivals, pictures, and all that at big malls and stuff. So every year from black Friday to New Year, every weekend was booked, busy, and dealing with Christmas stuff. 12-14 hrs a day 2 times a week I had to decorate trees, and set up Santa's wonderland. I had to dress up as ninja turtles, and care bears, Barney was the worst... Had to chase and threaten teenagers as Barney... anyways.

The entire time listening to Christmas songs, or trying to get a wagon full of people to start singing... Which is always great... So by the time Christmas came around everyone was over it. We had sayings like, if we see Rudolf we are swerving off the road to hit him, or if we see that fat man on a roof we are gonna shoot him.

So I didn't get to enjoy a Christmas again till I had kids, and even then I am still lukewarm about it all. We always have a big party on new years day and celebrate instead.

Moooooood. I wasn't allowed to believe in Santa at all when I was young for religious reasons, but at least I didn't lose my Christmas spirit until college. Similar reason though. I worked in a high end greeting card and paper store as my first job. We did gift wrapping. People ordered their Christmas cards from us. It was madness. Then I quit and took a job two doors down at the GameStop. Only my old boss was desperate for people to help during the holiday season so she hired me back temporarily. So I worked two jobs, two doors down from each other, in a mall, during Christmas. Opened one, had about half an hour between shifts to eat something, then closed at the other.

I still only really do anything Christmas related so my kids won't be as jaded as me. XD And it's been years!
This is such a great idea, thank you so much for this generosity :3

I myself was always a child really fond of and totally excited by Christmas stuff, it was only later things got complicated, but what I remember just faintly is a story of my little sister.
Admittedly, my mom and dad have told the story a lot, because I was pretty small myself and it's blurry, but after hearing it again, I have a really fun internal picture of it XD

It was just the start of December, the 6th in particular where it's a holiday here that's based on a legend and I have no idea if it's a thing in other parts of the world - but basically that guy St. Nikolaus looks a lot like. Santa Claus, and you either put your neatly cleaned boots outside the door on the 5th and they're filled with little gifts, mostly chocolate, nuts, tangerines, when you wake up in the morning of the 6th - or, especially with little kids it's common that you wait for the 6th and Nikolaus comes to your house in person.

Children then are supposed to greet him with singing a carol or citing a little poem, then he'll check his book to see if you were naughty or nice. You'll get the gifts and sweets when you were nice, obviously, and if not, you'll get punished with a wicker twig.
Of course your parents wouldn't go through that hassle and effort for the punishment, so maybe even if you weren't really nice, they'd bend the rules a bit.

It was a friend of my parents who lived in the neighborhood who came into our house dressed like that. He's a pretty big guy, over 2 meters tall and well-built, so I was kind of intimidated by this guy. I was really good and nice, singing songs, reciting the poems I learned for him, trying to be my best self to get my presents.
I was so deep into that traditional play, I did not ask any questions about it.

When I was like 5 years old, my little sister was 3 years old. As always, it's Dec 6th so Nikolaus is coming. It was just the same man as always and while I never had any second thoughts, the moment he comes into the living room, my sister happily shouts his name. Not Nikolaus, but the name of the dude inside the costume. It was pretty obvious that it was his voice, and the way he's built he was the only guy that big and tall in our neighborhood.

My sister had no doubts about it, she knew exactly who he was. I was still intimidated and hoped that in his book it was written that I have been nice. So when my sister threatened to spoil the secret of that guy, my mom shushed her, whispering that this was Nikolaus, trying to calm her down from telling me that the real Nikolaus probably never existed.

Long story short - with just 3 years of age, my little sister destroyed the tradition of Nikolaus visiting because she wasn't gonna believe whatever and just told all of us what was really going on XD
Auberon Moderator

TroyLocke wrote:

Lies and slander. Michael Caine was the best Scrooge, and the Muppet Christmas Carol is the only production of that story that I will accept as real and valid. I will die on this hill.
CatalinaRose wrote:
First and foremost. Micheal Caine as Scrooge is literally the best movie ever. #backuptothefightme

Catalina knows what's up.

Not really a bah humbug story per se, but when I was about... I'd say 8 or so, I stopped believing in Santa and was determined to catch my parents in the act. I sprinkled powder all around in front of our pellet stove (listen, the Santa Clause movie was fresh in my mind, so I thought he could magically slide through the pipe) hoping to see a lack of footprints. I left salad for the reindeer to see if my parents would eat it (I found it in the trash!!), left a note asking for a letter back to check handwriting, and even asked for a sleigh bell without prior warning to my folks.

To their credit, they did put boot prints in the powder, and I did get a note with faked handwriting, AND they must have run out to the store because I got a ribbon with giant bells on it. I still didn't buy it, but I had to admire their commitment to the bit.
Whystle Harrison (played anonymously)

4ed6ce814e0e25e4fe50568ff8ae647a.gif

Ah yes, let's see... I wonder if this will be considered a "Bah Humbug" story.

One year, due to the tree being left outside, we didn't have a Christmas tree, so little me decided to make a temporary one out of coat hangers. We ended up getting a small Christmas tree later on, but... Between you and me, I think the coat hanger tree would have worked just as well. <_< (Joking, joking!)
I have a very strong christmas memory, which was when I was a wee child and we visited my grandparents. They had decorated beautifully, and in typical grandparent fashion there was a box of chocolates on the table free for the guests to take. On the lid you could read what each chocolate contained, but I can't remember if I was good at reading - I probably didn't care to - and when I was left alone with the chocolates I just looked at the shapes of the little pieces to pick which one I wanted. Unfortunately for me, the one I chose was hollow and had some liquid alcohol filling in it 😂 I was shocked, horrified, and I will never forget it. Core memory created ✨
anon (played anonymously)

Happy?!?! New Year: or the rule of... bad things never come alone

Tables like these are lovely... as long as there is food to go with it!

an%20empty%20place%20at%20the%20christmas%20table-fghelardi.jpg
Ohh Raffle! Hurray! Thanks Dndmama ^w^

r2fW2o7.jpeg

Mmhh...Ok story time! Well I dont have that much of a story as I always looked up for Christmass, still there was that one time that due family reasons none of my parents couldn't be there during christmass so they left me, my older brother and oldest sister alone. My sister was the closest thing we had for an adult at that time so we ended up going to subway to eat all the time. Anyway! During christmass we had no food at home and we relied only on fast food...still since it was christmass there was no place open to take us in! So we ended up all hungry since everyone else was busy enjoying Christass during their day off XD

"SCROOGE WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG!"

That's what we all agreed on our ride back home. Hehe a good laugh, even if we were all hungry.
Goodness, okay, I don't actually have any 'Bah Humbug' moments, but I do have a few little mishaps. They aren't very detailed stories but both were pretty dang miserable upon experiencing them, that's for dang sure!

So for a few years, my co-workers and I would throw these "Friends-mas" parties where everyone would cook some kind of something and choose someone's place to meet up at, play games, eat until we were bursting at the seams, and usually end the night with desserts and a movie of our choice. One such "Friends-mas" had the mysterious casserole...

This mysterious broccoli and cheese casserole was so incredibly massive that it took up a quarter of the table all on its own, was made by one of my chums who wasn't very familiar with cooking, got the recipe from somewhere online, and failed to finish cooking the dang thing all the way through. I wasn't the only one affected by this casserole -- it caused mass food poisoning among the group sans like two of us and let me just say, it was my very first experience with food poisoning I'd ever had and it was THE WORST. Food poisoning literally feels like death.

The second incident happened on Christmas day... Simply put, I have the navigational skills of Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2 if anyone knows who or what the heck that is. I get lost so incredibly easily that it's a wonder I am even able to make it home from work. I wish I was exaggerating sometimes... Anyway!

On my way to my adopted family, I took a wrong turn down a very narrow and abandoned back road. Almost no one ever uses it and it has a dead end that goes absolutely nowhere. The road was iced over and cut to the right very suddenly, so I skidded right into the ditch with my tail end completely up in the air and the nose of my car stuck straight into the ditch. I wound up calling said family to come and tug my sorry butt out of the hole I put myself in. Thankfully they laughed at my ignorance and we all had an otherwise decent get-together.

Let's just say my partner stayed a lot calmer than I did. I was having a meltdown -- I even had the shock blanket...

tumblr_mx08fboWcK1rzik3go1_500.gif
Oh, a raffle! :D Thank you so much for the opportunity, DnDmama <3

(I also definitely agree with you that Michael Caine in The Muppet Christmas Carol is my favorite Scrooge. My husband and I watch the film every December. It's one of our favorite movies of all time, and certainly the best adaptation of the story in our opinion lol)

As for my story, I don't have many that would qualify as a bah-humbug per say, but when I was 2 years old, my mother took me to see a mall Santa for the first time. She and my older sister wanted to get a picture of me on his lap for our Christmas cards that year, except... I was super afraid of anyone in costume when I was little. Even the Easter Bunny. And Santa was no exception. As soon as they placed me on his lap, I burst into tears, and sadly that was the pic they used to wish holiday cheer to all our relatives that year XD I can look back on it now and laugh, but I can only imagine how my extended family felt receiving those haha
Oh oh, I'm not sure if this counts, but I have a holiday mishap kind of story!
One year, we had this big ol' frozen turkey, and my dad wanted to thaw it out, right? So he puts it in the bathtub, runs some warm water, and leaves it to... defrost, I guess. Goes to do some other stuff.
He was not someone with a very sound memory.
Cut to much later. He forgot about the turkey. It blocks the drain in the bathtub... It begins to fill up... The bathroom begins to fill up... The hallways begin to fill up... Water everywhere.
But hey, at least the turkey was no longer frozen!
Thank you for hosting this giveaway, also! It's very kind of you!

You are on: Forums » Forum Games » The Bah Humbug Giveaway! (Completed!)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus