Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Official Contest: Short Story Challenge 2023

Kim Site Admin

And by short story, we mean really short stories. The shorter the better. I loved what you all did with this one last year so much I decided to bring it back two years in a row, but with a new set of theme words.
  • One entry per user.
  • Only users, no posts from characters will count.
  • Roll a 1d10 in this topic. Whatever number it comes up on, that’s the theme or inspiration you need to write your story on. You do not need to include the actual word that prompted you in your story.
  • Entries should not an exceed a PG-13 rating.
  • Edit the post where you made your dice roll to insert your story into it when it’s done.
  • Maximum 100 words! Here's a site that might help you: https://easywordcount.com/
  • Your story must have a beginning, middle and end.

Themes:
  1. Costs
  2. Hunger
  3. Excess
  4. Duty
  5. Reality
  6. Rebellion
  7. Strength
  8. Secrets
  9. Home
  10. Breath

Prizes:
  • 2022 RPR tote bag (Real life prize - we’ll ship one to you) Totebags won in contests have some surprises inside them!
  • 2023 RPR tote bag (Real life prize - we’ll ship one to you) Totebags won in contests have some surprises inside them! Please note that I won’t be able to ship this until after the genre mascot art contest completes and we know what this design will be. :)
  • Greater Wand of Epicness
  • Wand of Epicness
  • Dragon's tooth
  • Walrus company: a Walrus Wizard, a Walrus Rogue, and a Walrumancer

Walrus Wizard walrus-wizard-image.png
    Walrus Rogue walrus-rogue-image.png
    Walrumancerwalrus-necro-image.png

Deadline:
Get all your entries in by May 21st.
Prompt wrote:
Breath

Key:
Thoughts - In Italics
In the forest, a creature slowed her breath. A stranger with a green cloak was near, lost and confused. Leave, silly human, the creature thought as she waited for the stranger to go away. She nearly slipped off the log that she was hiding, making a noise. The stranger started to looking around, rising up their gun. Her heart started to beat frantically, hoping the stranger would not find her. Luckily for the creature, the stranger got disinterested and wandered to another part of the forest. Finally, they're gone, she thought as her breathing returned to normal.
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 10.
Let’s see what I get!! I should be able to do this!!! For EPIC WEEK!!!!
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 8.
Okay! Let's do this! ^^ (My stories are normally long so this should be a great challenge for me!)
Thunderbird wrote:
Okay! Let's do this! ^^ (My stories are normally long so this should be a great challenge for me!)
(Dice roll wont show, lets just say its a 8, so secrets)
Yu forgot it again.
Foxfarer

Rebellion

Her feeble hands gripped into the dirt between them, only her harsh breaths breaking the silence between a child and a father. He only stared at her as she watched her struggle to find the words. He watched as she struggled to find her energy to challenge him.
What only came however was a trickle of blood that started to drip down her face. The child lifted her hand, the warm blood trailing down it. Her hands left the dirt, eyes finally meeting his.

She wasn’t going down until she saw the light leave his eyes.
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 6.
Deltarunner

Roll time 👀

5, ganna edit later👀👀👀
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 5.
Shakey Shakey!!
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 10.
Might try!
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 9.
Let's see what my theme isssss
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 1.
AngelicDemonFoxo wrote:
Let's see what my theme isssss

Costs-

That'll be interesting
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Thunderbird wrote:
Thunderbird wrote:
(Dice roll wont show, lets just say its a 8, so secrets)

Please do an actual roll like the other participants, you can't pick your own or your entry will be disqualifed.

This might help: https://www.rprepository.com/help/using-forums#113
I'll give it a go! Might be a tad slow as I'm working weird hours, but it sounds fun!

Duty. Interesting...

Will edit eventually :)
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 4.
Got a seven so Strength. That sounds great! I will edit this when its ready! ^^
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 7.
This sounds like so much fun! Let's see what I get!

EDIT: Ooh, Home! I have a fun idea for this one! Let's-a go!

Home

It was the first time the Goodall stopped at Absalom Station. Xihuitl long awaited this expedition, her allies waiting at Drifter's End. However, she froze in the middle of the metal sidewalk to see a giant plasma screen.

She knew those faded orange feathers.

"Find my daughter." That gravelly voice. "Let her know. . . I'm sorry."

With watery eyes and skittering claws, she ran to the docks.

It was the last time the Goodall stopped at Absalom Station.
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 9.
hmm

c o s t s
The charted route home should have been simple. This current was unnatural, she’d tried everything. Decades of sailing experience, not a single attempt to escape had worked.

She missed her partner’s kiss. Her son’s race car bed. The picket fence.

There were options, sacrificial ones. It was not her school of magic, but anyone could request an audience. Few could afford the cost.

“Speak,” It demanded. “Your want.”

“Please, I want to go home. I’ll pay any price.”

Well, being trapped at sea was not so bad. There wasn’t anywhere else she wanted to be anyway.
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 1.
Ooh <_<

EDIT:
I ROLLED IT 10 TIMES, HELP 😭😭
rolled 10d10 and got a natural 53.
1 1 10 8 1 8 8 7 3 6
LET'S TRY THAT AGAIN
NOT ROLLING IT 10 TIMES AND JUST ONCE 😅

EDIT:
Reality

His vision twisted and contorted, blurring and distorting as he looked around the room, his head throbbed and his eyes couldn't focus on the illusions he saw. He took a sharp gasp and emerging from his throat was a shout, a cry, for help.

"Someone! Help me, please!" He screamed, but no one replied.

He fell to his knees and grasped his head, closing his eyes tightly.
The noise grew louder until it finally faded.

He opened his eyes slowly.
And at last.

Reality.

Everything was back to normal and calm once more.

He was thankful to see it again.

rolled 1d10 and got a natural 5.
· · ─────── H̶̛̪̩̲̯͉̀û̷̗̓̓n̵̻̮͓̊̍̓́g̷̗̙͉̿̓͠ẻ̷͍̼̲̭͛̂r̷̗̅ ─────── · ·

1nk36Y0.png
· · ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────── · ·
The old woman left food on her plate, not because she wasn’t hungry, but because the forest was.

“Why didin’ yah finish yer dinner?” the sheriff queried patiently.

Unresponsive, she totters to the wood's edge and deposits her leftovers.

“Seems a waste…”

“The forest is hungry. The forest remembers,” she uttered gently.

“Ma’am, this is why folks want me to put yah in a home.”

Having observed the elder retreat to her cabin, he then turns back to look at the still silent forest and the strangely absent food. Not so much as a leaf rustled in the windless twilight…

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 2.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Official Contest: Short Story Challenge 2023

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus