Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Official Contest: Short Story Challenge 2023

edit: Strength
- coming soon...
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 7.
{Number five!
Reality!}

A genie sat contemplating human existence. There were many horrific moments where the world was changed. Bombings, invasions, genocide. What if just one of these events could have been stopped? She considered and chose a moment in history where the world nearly destroyed itself. Snapping her fingers, the event had been modified.

She watched as humans managed to do worse to each other. Instead of one war, hundreds raged on every continent. Territories once unified took up arms against each other. Casualties greater than with the one war rolled in.

Understanding the universe had a plan, she reversed her magic.
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 5.
{#1 - Cost}

This is what I wanted, fame. To be loved and adored by all who saw me perform on the stage. But the cost... I never wish to speak ill of my patrons, but it is a difficult thing to make so many women believe you love them for a night when, for me, there is no connection. They pay money and I perform as they desire. This is a despicable time to boast, but I have left no woman unsatisfied thus far. Though love does not come, no matter how many times they purchase me, they cannot have my heart.
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 1.
Duty

The shovel gave the courageous knight blisters before she dropped it to the ground.
“It is my duty to bury all I have slain, no matter the actions of their life.”
The knight’s tongue was dry, and the taste of bile and smoke rose in her throat, choking her.
A boy stood behind the knight. Gripping his doll, he watched Momma cry for the first time.
The knight offered a blistered hand to the boy.
“Can you say goodbye to Mum for me?” The courageous knight whispered.
The boy placed his doll on the newly-laden soil.
“I love you, Mum.”
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 4.
🍫I'm a bit nervous but this will be fun.🥛

*Hopefully this was good enough. Number-4 = Duty

A mother’s sole duty is to take care of her family.’ A young mother thought as she sharpens her kitchen knives. She was sweating due to the kitchen steaming up. The young mother had a small smile on her face as she finished sharpening her knives and putting them away. She grabbed the mittens, put them on, and grabbed the hot pot. The young mother put it on the table before calling out for the family. She opened the lid, revealing human remains and steaming red liquid. Soon the family came and began to eat. ‘This is a mother’s duty.’
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 4.
F-fine~ I'll give this my best shot this year! I need to start writing again anyway.

Secrets, huh? A moment, please... And done. I was going for the aftermath of a secret being revealed.
----
It was a long, drawn-out silence between the witch and her pet. They had just finished arguing, and the bitter mood was palpable. Books were strewn everywhere. Their guest had already left with the witch’s prized treasure, and she was furious.

“See if I ever tell you anything again,” huffed the witch.

“Fine by me,” the pet taunted.

With that, they began picking up the debris from their fight, the feeling of trust between the two broken beyond repair. It was the last night the pet would call this place home.
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 8.
Ooooo I love it!
Edit: Got rebellion! :D

Tucked in blankets, Elise smiled as her mother finished the chapter. "One more, mom?" she pleaded. Her mother chuckled and stood, putting the book away. "Not tonight, Elise. You have school in the morning." Elise pouted. Her mother went to her bedside and kissed her head. "Goodnight." "Goodnight, mom." Her mother flicked the switch and left, closing the door and leaving Elise alone. After a few heartbeats, Elise scrambled out of bed, scurrying over to grab the book and then the flashlight from under her pillow. Finally, she hid away under the covers to continue to the next chapter.
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 6.
Wasn't able to join epic week last year. Will be giving this a try. 😁

Rebellionnnnn... ((Update latterrr))
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 6.
a short story...I have time, so I suppose I'll try! Strength huh...I'll do my best!

STRENGTH

Morgan was tearful as he stared at the broken body of his brother. The amount of blood was staggering, but even more heartbreaking were his brother's limbs, broken. Broken like a doll. Morgan stared at the body, in such a state he wouldn't and couldn't move. He wanted to cry, but no tears came.

Morgan finally spoke, his breath coming quickly, "Kadar...." His breath shuddered, "Kadar...brother...please forgive me... it's all my fault..." He trembled.

He remembered how the human soldiers burst into the room, and how his brother had hidden him, so he would be safe.

"I wasn't strong enough, Kadar...I'm sorry."
Breath:

Lucy strolled down the lavish aisle. Thousands of eyes traced her steps, judging, waiting for her to screw up. She did not want to marry the bloody Baron. She would not marry the blood Baron.. She would find a way out of the debacle. Her ornate white dress and corset seemed to squeeze the life out of her. Lucy could not have taken a breath if she had wanted to. Pale cheeks reddened as she met eyes with her betrothed. Her palms dripped with sweat and spots appeared before her eyes. She fainted. Her body crumbled to the ground. Perfect.
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 10.
Sally and Tom were lost in the woods They could hear a crack in the woods as a figure stepped out the figure could be seen holding a knife. Sally and Tom looked fear into the figure's eyes as the figure spoke. "Sal and Tom, lost?" Sally asked, "How do you know my name?"
"Me has been looking for you for some time," Sally thought "Can you help us find a way home?" The figure nodded "Potral choose the right door right door bring you home." So Sally took Toms's hand and they jumped into the right door coming home.
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 9.
Home

The warning alarms continued to blare as he checked the systems. A stray asteroid had knocked his ship off course and into the path of a wormhole.

He worked quickly to correct the ship's course, but the gravitational pull of the wormhole was too strong. Being pulled through the wormhole, all he could think of were the possibilities of where he'd end up this time.

As the lights streaked by in a beautiful array of colors, they suddenly gave way to darkness again as he was spat out on the other side. His eyes widened when he saw... his home.
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 9.
Sure I guess.
rolled 1d100 and got a natural 46.
...How did I confuse the rules.
I'll give this a try... I got #2 - Hunger
(Word gave me a count of 98 on this)

Having been fairly fortunate, Janet never needed to worry about hunger. That was until she lost her job. Finances were not her strong suit, so when she had to move after foreclosure, all she had was the old RV parked in the backyard.

Having picked through her keepsakes, the forty-year-old drove away from her bank-owned house for the last time.

Weeks later, while parked on a side-street, Janet was out looking for work, and returned to find her RV gone. She was truly homeless now and wondered where she would find her next meal.
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 2.

Note: For the word

I clicked out of curiosity and now I'm gonna have a hand at this 😋

Lellith watched as another human's life force withered away.
Hunger was ever present in their race. It was something the being could not experience; and as one with time on their hands, they observed. Not only was there food hunger, the word was used in many cases. They hungered in ways Lellith had never been able: for love, satisfaction, wealth, attention, and the ever illusive power over others. It seemed to twist their souls, raking its claws across and leaving an invisible voracity in its wake.
It was all very captivating and left Lellith content with what they didn't posses.
rolled 1d10 and got a natural 2.
Hey, it’s been about three weeks since the deadline closed. When is the ETA for the judging?
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

I'm herding cats over here, but I really hope to have final scores for you this weekend! So sorry for the delay!
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

I had scores yesterday but there were a WHOLE BUNCH of ties for multiple places, so it took an extra minute to figure out some tie breakers to actually get a usable order.

Congratulations to the winners!

SoupGremlin (Strength)
Redrose (Breath)
Atheist (Hunger)
Lucretire (Secrets)
silentruth (Cost)
13ee (Cost)

Thank you to everyone who participated, we enjoyed reading all of your stories, and much of the final scoring was INCREDIBLY tight.
Congratulations, guys! I hope everyone had fun. I did!

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Official Contest: Short Story Challenge 2023

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus