Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Flight from Castle Paldwyn (DISCUSSION)

TheTwilightWarrior

Adelbard wrote:
JohnAtArms wrote:
Excuse my ignorance but could you help define what a 'Morpheme' is? I looked it up and I still can't understand it. And what does it mean by 'Morpheme ID?'.

A morpheme is basically like a sound, less than a syllable but possibly more than a single letter. The morpheme ID is just a single character that you'll use to refer to that category of morphemes. For instance, I usually have a morpheme type called 'c' that contains my consonants--for instance, k, sh, ch, l, and m. Then I'll have a vowel one called 'v' that has vowels like i, e, o, and u. Then, when I'm defining my wordforms, I might have: cvc cvvc cvcvcvc. So any 'c' gets replaced with one of my 'c' morphemes, randomly--and any 'v' is replaced randomly with one of my 'v' morphemes. So words like kish, cheol, mek, and shilekoch could be generated in this example. You can make it infinitely more complicated from there... for example, I often have a morpheme that contains possible word endings. Or sometimes I distinguish between consonants that can appear at the beginning of a word and which are allowed to appear at the end. The morpheme ID can be whatever letter you want to refer to it as when you're building wordforms. Hopefully that helps a little :D There are two templates in the tool that are really eye opening, I think! Reari is simple with just consonants and vowels, Orcish is more complicated with consonants, vowels, word endings, and alternative sounds that can appear anywhere but the end of the word.

Thanks again! It's a still a little confusing, but it's clear things up quite a bit. Thanks!
Ah, are we talking about making languages now? I've created one, actually, for the Quasterians (Spirit creatures) that inhabit most of my stories. I use sometimes in writing and art work. ^^;
Interesting... very interesting... XD

Great explanation too! Basically, I just plug in a string of letter combos, and choose a letter that will represent that random string, and presto! A word is born.

Who needs a linguistic class when ye have the roll of the die? XD
TheTwilightWarrior

Um... could you now give me tips on how to create a language inspired by another language? What should be essential in making this language? Syllables?
Dyou know of prefixes, roots, suffixes and that whole shebang?
TheTwilightWarrior

*looks down* No... not really... A bit surprising considering I get high marks in English...
Woah, no, don't sweat it! I mean heck, in my experience, they were barely mentioned in middle school and ambushed me in a major-specific grammar course my third year of college. No shame in it, only shame ON THE EDUCATION SYSTEM >:000

//cools le rage

Anyway,

Prefixes are the beginning of a word, suffixes the end, and roots are the general term for both. Greek roots and roman (er, i mean Latin) roots compose many of our English words, while the rest are derived from our original German Dialect (Anglo-Saxon aka Olde Englishe) or borrowed from French or Italian or Spanish (ie enchiladas, reservoir, pizza) ((all 3 which are largely latinate).

In summation, we don't just get words from other languages, we get parts of words from other languages, too.

For instance, the word depend. De- comes from the latin "completely" or "down," and -pend comes from the latin "hang." Thus, we could read "this depends on that" as "this completely hangs on that."

Now, this is not to be confused with the conjugation of a word, which is a grammatical change to fit its role. For instance, dependance is the noun form of the verb depend. The -ance is an inflectional suffix, rather than a derivitive, which is a root with meaning rather than "I serve this role in a sentence" kind of information.

Now what's this got to do with language? Well, it's a matter of composition of words. There are patterns in many related words, in english, in french, in german. The concept runs all through 'em. So when making a language based on these languages, I suggest you to seek out those patterns, the derivitive and inflectional prefixes, suffixes, roots, and pick and choose which apply to your language, and start with those as a basis. From there, you could find certain letter patterns that mark words as distinctly german or distinctly spanish.

Though if you plan to merge german and spanish as I suspect, you'll be creating a sister language to English, which is quite the fun idea. XD

Oh, since language develops, the rules arent that clear cut so you can just play around with it freely too, dropping a T there, dropping an S here... easy does it!
Virtu wrote:
Woah, no, don't sweat it! I mean heck, in my experience, they were barely mentioned in middle school and ambushed me in a major-specific grammar course my third year of college. No shame in it, only shame ON THE EDUCATION SYSTEM >:000

//cools le rage

Anyway,

Prefixes are the beginning of a word, suffixes the end, and roots are the general term for both. Greek roots and roman (er, i mean Latin) roots compose many of our English words, while the rest are derived from our original German Dialect (Anglo-Saxon aka Olde Englishe) or borrowed from French or Italian or Spanish (ie enchiladas, reservoir, pizza) ((all 3 which are largely latinate).

In summation, we don't just get words from other languages, we get parts of words from other languages, too.

For instance, the word depend. De- comes from the latin "completely" or "down," and -pend comes from the latin "hang." Thus, we could read "this depends on that" as "this completely hangs on that."

Now, this is not to be confused with the conjugation of a word, which is a grammatical change to fit its role. For instance, dependance is the noun form of the verb depend. The -ance is an inflectional suffix, rather than a derivitive, which is a root with meaning rather than "I serve this role in a sentence" kind of information.

Now what's this got to do with language? Well, it's a matter of composition of words. There are patterns in many related words, in english, in french, in german. The concept runs all through 'em. So when making a language based on these languages, I suggest you to seek out those patterns, the derivitive and inflectional prefixes, suffixes, roots, and pick and choose which apply to your language, and start with those as a basis. From there, you could find certain letter patterns that mark words as distinctly german or distinctly spanish.

Though if you plan to merge german and spanish as I suspect, you'll be creating a sister language to English, which is quite the fun idea. XD

Oh, since language develops, the rules arent that clear cut so you can just play around with it freely too, dropping a T there, dropping an S here... easy does it!

Oh god not this again XD - Basically one of our English lectures in grade 6.
Woah, really? :0

No one explained to me the difference between old english and what shakespeare speaks until college. Praytell, didst thou attendeth a private school?

Or "Wære þu éadigede?"
Virtu wrote:
Woah, really? :0

No one explained to me the difference between old english and what shakespeare speaks until college. Praytell, didst thou attendeth a private school?

Or "Wære þu éadigede?"

Nooooope.

We just got an awesome Teach who taught us proper English. He punished us when we used improper grammar.

And surprisingly, I didn't have too much trouble in English (Got an A on one of my projects that year) as I did previously.
TheTwilightWarrior

*sighs* Alright... I'll figure out this stuff one day... Trying to figure this out right now is getting me stressed. The heat doesn't make it any better...
Cheers for that teacher! And good work getting that A :) i hope all my future students'll be like you >__>

By the way, whats the current path, guys? Is Draken gonna be chasing everyone with his cutie crows for days into the mountains until they find my minstrel's castle? :3

Should I be getting my character prepped? :> decked out in fine linens, sharpened by a vibrant fur coat, oh, can't forget to style your hair!

Show's on in 5... 4... 3...

Ah, i didn't mean to confuse or discourage you, John. Sorry.

When you're feeling up for it, maybe this will help. I glanced it over and it seemed helpful. Hope it helps!
TheTwilightWarrior

It's fine... *crawls in a ball and sobs*
TheTwilightWarrior

Sorry... it's just that this sort of thing brings back dark memories of primary school...
Adelbard Laudessagne (played anonymously) Topic Starter

Oh no John! I meant no harm!! I actually have a non-linguistically-technical way I start a new language that I can type up for you in a bit. It does require that you have a set of "starter" words: words you've thought up that you like, OR words from an existing language(s) you want yours to sound a little bit like.
You say "cutie" but you haven't even seen the crows and ravens other uses yet...
TheTwilightWarrior

Never mind... This is too hard for me anyway...
//shines a light in the shadowed memories

Let not your heart be dark! Hark! The enlightenment of Christmas joy doth dawn the day!

I'll see if I can find you some helpful sources that'll be less confusing than my overexplanatory word dumps x) assuredly, yer smart enough. I feel it in me bones and see it in yer hesitation. Only dumb people never question their intellect (or particularly proud people, who are also dumb for their blinding ego). So take heart!

Also @Draken, those other uses will certainly endear them to me even more.

Also maybe I ought to make an NPC assassin to make your duo a trio... someone completely aligned with Alissa or Nalissa or... that evil queen lady, i mean.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Flight from Castle Paldwyn (DISCUSSION)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus