Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Epic Excellence Giveaway!!!! (closed)

The spirit of the season is upon us, and in the glow of the Festival of Being Excellent to Each Other, I wanted to host an Excellent giveaway of Epic proportions!

Epic in the way that you can become epic by being excellent of course! (Am I using epic and excellent too much yet?)

How do you play?

• Post something with your user account detailing something you've done to show excellence to another human being. This is generally just something you've done to brighten someone's day, make them feel loved, or simply to be nice to them
  • No identification is necessary regarding who you've been nice to! I don't have to hear their name or user name or any of that for you to enter! Anonymity on their part is perfectly fine. If you want to simply change their names too that's fine, any of it works!
  • The only thing I'd prefer to avoid is posting kudos you've given to another user, only because there's another giveaway based on just that.
  • Post as user account only, no characters, anonymous or otherwise
  • The raffle will end the day after FoBEtEO officially ends, at midnight eastern standard time (USA)
  • Users will be listed in order of qualified entry and be assigned a number chronologically. Winners will be selected by random dice roll after ending.
This next part is my favorite....

What can you win?

I'm putting up 4 years of epicness and 4 enchanted wardrobes to 8 lucky winners selected at random for qualified entries!

WINNERS!!!

Wardrobes -

rTspLf8.jpg

• 1 enchanted wardrobe - 27 - River_Cipher
  • 1 enchanted wardrobe - 21 - Hadeslicious
  • 1 enchanted wardrobe - 6 - LakotaSiouxWarrior
  • 1 enchanted wardrobe - 3 - Dndmama

Epicness -

OWruduN.jpg
  • 1 hourglass of epicness (1 year of epicness) - 25 - Kungfu6453
  • 1 hourglass of epicness (1 year of epicness) - 22 - Animatonica
  • 1 hourglass of epicness (1 year of epicness) - 16 - Lucretire
  • 1 hourglass of epicness (1 year of epicness) - 7 - Demilicious

Consolation Prizes!!!!

In the spirit of FoBEtEO, I've decided that EVERYONE IS A WINNER in this giveaway. If you're name is not listed above as a recipient of either an hourglass of epicness or an enchanted wardrobe, and you are listed below as a qualified entry, you will be receiving an oil of epicness (good for one month of epicness) just for stopping by and sharing how you were excellent to another person! Go ahead and take it, you deserve it :)

Feel free to post multiple things of excellence you've done for others, be it in a single post or more than one post. Only one entry will be counted per user still, but it's always nice to read how caring people can be towards each other <3

Winners will be posted here as soon as they are selected, which will be as soon as I can reasonable get to the post after it has ended.

Qualified Entries:
Consolation Prizes -

1) Sanne - Oil of Epicness
2) Shadow-Ranger - Oil of Epicness
3) Dndmama
4) MercyInReach - Oil of Epicness
5) Serene - Oil of Epicness
6) LakotaSiouxWarrior
7) Demilicious
8) Mipps - Oil of Epicness
9) Yersinia - Oil of Epicness
10) Juls - Oil of Epicness
11) Murder - Oil of Epicness
12) JoJoApples - Oil of Epicness
13) SylOfficial - Oil of Epicness
14) PastelGalaxy - Oil of Epicness
15) Crystaldragon126 - Oil of Epicness
16) Lucretire
17) Zelphyr - Oil of Epicness
18) StaticNightmares - Oil of Epicness
19) Morrigan - Oil of Epicness
20) BreezyDawn - Oil of Epicness
21) Hadeslicious
22) Animatonica
23) Deumeawyn - Oil of Epicness
24) Tusitala2017 - Oil of Epicness
25) Kungfu6453
26) 8_Stars_8 - Oil of Epicness
27) River_Cipher
28) tisonlychaos - Oil of Epicness
29) DazzlingDragon - Oil of Epicness
Unqualified entry to say thanks for hosting a great giveaway and being so generous tooooo!!
Sanne Moderator

Excellent! XD

I'm not sure there is anything that stands out to me on what I've done for others.... This is hard!

I think a very recent example happened on another site. A while ago, I created a post to help people be okay with catharsis. 'Toxic positivity' is a real thing that unfortunately puts a lot of pressure on people with chronic conditions and disabilities, because it implies they can't be sad about their struggles and they're 'doing it wrong'. I shared it because I got tired of people saying 'chin up' instead of just letting me cry and process my crappy feelings, which are inevitable and will happen. I'm disabled, I have a chronic illness, I will have bad periods where I feel hopeless and overwhelmed and incapacitated. And I discovered the best way to cope with those periods is to let them happen, to feel my negative emotions and cry or do pissed off chores or whatever I need to do to help me process them all. It calms me down and creates an opportunity to evaluate what went wrong, and allows me to re-calibrate and adjust my expectations and take preventative measures. And I wanted to share in the hopes of maybe making some people's day better, and give them something to work with in their own situation that isn't an empty promise of happiness if they just try harder.

That post struck a huge chord with so many people who share some of my conditions, and it blew up. I received messages that made me cry. People told me they spent years struggling with their condition, always feeling like a failure, like their inability to be happy with their situation all the time made them horrible people to be around, that if only they'd done x or y different they wouldn't feel like they were to blame for all the bad things in their lives, and they cried after being told they're allowed to feel poorly because, hey, life sucks sometimes! And that's okay! They said they felt relief at not having to pretend to be okay all the time, and that being sad, angry, frustrated or otherwise feeling 'negative' doesn't mean they failed or are a negative person. Some of them went on capable of taking better care of themselves because they felt empowered, heard, validated and respected by someone random internet stranger.

Thinking about it makes me so emotional, but it also drives me to continue doing better and setting a good example that is attainable for others. There's nothing really special about catharsis, but so few of us are taught how to practice it healthily, and if I can help people feel more at peace with their unavoidable limitations and work with what they've got that's all I really want. :)
Rogue-Scribe

How I brightened someone's day? Not long ago one of my RP writing partners was having quite a rough time IRL and we chatted for about 6 hours about life and all sorts of things, and I guess I had a positive impact on them as it went from 'I need to end our RP and leave RPR' to them staying and we are still actively RP'ng to this day. They had said that I really helped turn them around and helped them see things in a different light and have come a long way in being happy in life. I guess I was their online crisis counselor as I was in the right place at the right time.
Me in the face of such generosity:

giphy.gif

Now for my actual entry!

How have I been excellent... Well, nothing big right now I'm afraid due to time and cash restraints sadly. I do always try to go out of my way to give compliments to strangers as they pass or go out of my way to help a coworker that's falling behind. Oh! You know what? I had a friend having a bad day the other day. She'd put it as her status along with the information that she didn't want to talk about it. So I didn't ask her what was wrong or if she needed to talk. I just sent her a hug gif to let her know I was thinking of her and was here if she needed anything. I think it helped! I hope it did. Sometimes the little things matter the most, you know?

giphy.gif
This is a generous idea! <3

Hmm. Well every year I send a few friends holiday cookies, this year I am doing the same thing and one time one of them posted a photo and told how happy they were about them, which made my heart super full of love. I adore making sure people have something happy for the Holidays because I often don't have the same, so I know how it feels. So hearing that they loved the cookies and that I made their Holidays brighter honestly made my Holiday better.

This time of year is hard on a lot of people, depression is at it's highest, so whatever anyone can do to cheer up someone means a heck of a lot.
Serene

Oh I hope someone else will write something before me, because I'm not the perfect person to be the first place on this list xD I had to think for a while before writing an answer, I can't remember the last time I did anyone a favour that would improve their day.

Well. A friend's mood was a bit chaotic, and I supported her as much as I could for her mood to improve. And I figured out how to get her to join us for an event later.

God, if I win something, I'll be very embarrassed :D
LakotaSiouxWarrior

I recently helped a friend while they were moving. I helped through all the stages of the move and gave them a virtual housewarming present. We would have the greatest conversations in all hours day and night.
For all my loud opinions and what not, I actually have a bit of a difficult time searching when I personally do things for others, aside from clean, because that is essentially my superpower. But, what I have done in the past, and can do for others the best is create a safe space, I suppose? My husband, Nile, has had to deal with me opening our home to a handful of people whenever I deem them in need, or someone wants to go on vacation to our city and I want to save them a ginormous bill because we live in a tourist city.

The most touching time I've done this, it was one hell of a rollercoaster, it was emotionally tumultuous and hard on us. However, in the end, this person got to be in their own skin for a month. While they stayed here with us they were acknowledged as the gender they saw themselves as for the first time, and heard nothing but their chosen pronouns, we even took them clothes shopping. We called them by the name they used only online and when they went home, they finally grew strong enough in themselves to come out to their family as a woman. That is the most gratifying feeling ever, and Nile and

I continue to offer our home and open it up if someone needs to spend the night away, talk, cry, what have you, and it's wondrous and amazing to have the ability to do that for people. Not to mention to be stable enough financially to offer food and a home without being scared to death as to whether or not I'm going to be homeless next month because that's exactly how it used to be for me. Life is at such a good point right now, it's a blessing to be able to give back.

Also, thank you Voldarian, not just for hosting this, but for giving the opportunity to share. While yes, it is a stupendous raffle, we normally don't share good things unless there's a prompt to do so, like this. So, thank you for that. We should share and celebrate the good we do more often. <3
Mipps

I have never really considered myself a good person, but every day I try to be better.
Over the last 5+ years I haven’t really been able to be there for anyone, to help them with anything because I needed all that energy to fix my own life (because it was quite bad). But as things have gotten better, I have slowly been coming out of my shell and trying to bring a bit of light back to people.

I don’t know if these are super excellent things but I couldn’t think of anything else. Thank you Vold, Its sweet to see the kindness going around. Oddly a weird self reflection on myself to go with it.

Not too long ago I donated a handful of bacon (all my bacon) I had in my inventory to one of my friends who couldn’t afford to buy extra character slots. She never said anything to me, I simply gifted, just to make her smile.

I recently reached out to an acquaintance I didn’t always get along with and built a bridge of friendship so neither of us felt alone. (you know who you are) I don’t know if It made them smile or not, I hope that it did. I will do it again.

One of my few friends who is always there for me, that I have known since I was 15 years old (over half my life) recently lost his father. I checked in on him of course and sent him a few videos to bring a smile back to his face. But he told me it meant the world to him just to know he had a safe place to come and talk about it with someone.

Of course, every day I am there for my wonderful significant other. He is still active in the navy and I make sure home is taken care of so he can come home to a warm hearth. Stupid simple things like telling him we are going out for Raman make him smile, make the day better.

I recently started doing requests for people on art (freebies).. I said it was for art practice and to overcome art block – and part of it was for that. But honestly, I just missed seeing people super stoked to get an art piece. I love the joy it brings.
You're too kind 🖤

There's a lady in my program with poor motor control, so I help her with construction and cutting during our practicums. The semester just ended and we all passed-- everyone needs a helping hand from time to time!
Demilicious wrote:
Also, thank you Voldarian, not just for hosting this, but for giving the opportunity to share. While yes, it is a stupendous raffle, we normally don't share good things unless there's a prompt to do so, like this. So, thank you for that. We should share and celebrate the good we do more often. <3

I would very much like to echo this sentiment. <3 Already, all the stories shared are a delight to read. And a good reminder about what is really important in life.

Near my home is a place that was historically an orphanage, but is now a children's group home. So for the last couple years, I've been going there once a week as a tutor/volunteer. Usually, it's to help with homework for the ones that need a little bit of extra assistance or just be a cheerleader. Other times, I'll read with the younger ones. Once in awhile, if nobody has homework, we'll simply play a game, which, I'll admit, are usually my favorite visits.

It can be rewarding at times, frustrating at others, makes me cry when one goes home (hopefully, because things worked out with their families), because I'll probably never see them again and I'll miss them. And even though I'm happy they get to go home, it's really hard not to get attached. And then it makes me cry all over again when one that went home returns... because things didn't work out at home.

But I'll keep going. Some of these kids might spend their entire childhoods here. (It's a nice place! So no worries there... but nothing is the same as having your own family). Maybe, I hope, I can make a difference for a couple of them.
I'm an animal control officer, and I have both the blessing and curse of meeting all sorts of people and their animals. I see a lot of awful things, and encounter a lot of individuals that I try very hard to work against. But from time to time I have had the ability to both educate and assist citizens in my area. I recently met a woman who had lost everything over the course of the last few months. Now, she was homeless and barely managing to care for herself. However, she was dedicated to caring for the dog that she had managed to keep. Rather than take her dog away, I provided her with vaccinations, food, a new leash and collar, and flea products for her dog. The dog was in good health and happy to be with his mom, and I was able to brighten her day rather than just be another part of a system that has let her down.

If you see someone who's homeless with an animal, please don't jump to conclusions. Feel free to contact your local authorities and give them as much information as possible, we'll check on them... but chances are they're the one bright thing in this person's world and they could just use a little help.
Hmmm not sure if this counts, but...

I sent a few friends on RPR some Christmas gifts! It wasnt anything much, but I hope it made them happy! :)
This is a difficult one to talk about. It always feels a little like a “bragging rights” or “hero” thing even though I can only say that I became one of the luckiest people because of meeting her.

I was at the hospital roughly 4 years ago and one night I heard something on the hallway. I opened my door to see the girl from the room next to me get out of her own room. At first I thought nothing of it, even if it was late for a smoke. I figured that maybe she couldn’t sleep. It was only when she walked to the staircase at the end of the hallway that I frowned and felt like something was wrong.

I decided to follow her, I still feel very lucky that I did and very grateful too. I never expected that we’d end up sitting on the roof together in nothing but our pyjama’s, chatting at 4 am about all things life and about how people sucked.

We never spoke after the hospital. I miss her to this very day.
This is such a wonderfully generous and uplifting idea! ❤
Two years ago, before I graduated high school, myself and a few other seniors volunteered and worked the canned food drive for local families in need. For about an hour in the morning we all checked the dates on nonperishable food products and sorted them by the type of food they were. That same year my agri-science CTE class made food baskets for the local women and children's center so they could have nice meals on Thanksgiving.

I held the door open for an older woman at the farmers market store when I noticed her struggling to open the door while pushing her cart.

At my first horse show over this summer I held an acquaintances horse for her so she could make it to the bathroom before her class started so she didn't pee her pants, as well as offered my own horse up so that same person could ride in a class that she'd been wanting to try.

Okay that 'pee her pants' one may be a bit funny, but it counts as something nice right? I've probably done more things but I hate talking about myself.
This is such an amazing thing to do, thank you! <3

As for something kind I did? I’m not sure what would count and what wouldn’t.

Recently, my mother has lost vision in one of her eyes and broken her ankle. She fell ill and my dad was put running errands constantly, so I was the one at home taking care of her. I’ve cooked, cleaned, done everything I could to try and help her get better, and I still help her with a lot of this. She’s finally able to walk on the broken leg (Which is healing! Yay!), but she will never get her sight back in that one eye, so I’ve been her seeing eye human when it comes to some things like reading small text.
This is such an amazing giveaway! Now let's see here...

Every year, whenever RPR reveals their newest rare-colored rose, I always buy a bunch of them, and give one to my friend. They don't use the site as much as I do, but I do it anyway. I also give the remaining ones away to those who never got a chance to buy one!

Another thing I did was send a care package to the same friend, consisting of a crockpot, a batch of home-baked cookies, some books and various other stuff. We ended up joking about how I overwrapped everything with bubble wrap, even the cookie container so the cookies weren't crumbs when it got there.
Sanne Moderator

(I loved reading this when I got on today, thank you everyone for sharing even when it feels weird or braggy!! You all set such an excellent example on how to make the world a better place, please keep on being awesome!)
Hn. Brain is immediately all "you've never really done anything special, now here's some memories of times you were a jerk instead!"

Ng.

Nope. Not gonna let that part of mah brain win. Nice thing, nice thing, some nice thing worth mentioning...

I give hugs pretty readily to those who want them... I've been able to throw money at people who needed it a few times... I help random people with simple directions and bus schedules and stuff... That's just basic decency though...

I'll stick with the money. I don't make enough to do it now, but in the past, there's been a few times when, as mentioned, I was able to just throw some money at folks when they needed something. Sometimes it was just, like, $20, or even just paying for their meal. A couple times it's been more substantial. And, uh, I got a promo code for a discount when I ordered something not too long ago, and gave it to a friend who also had reason for interest in that site's products. Better than just letting it expire unused.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Epic Excellence Giveaway!!!! (closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus