Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » For Arthur!

Tobias Clark (played by Tugboattom)

Tobias raised a eyebrow knowingly, and crossed his arms," Yes, but the problem is still a succession war. Or worse, no one takes the throne and anarchy rules all. Destruction and thievery would control and life would be well...less then hopeful. Especially for a kingdom made of children."

Tobias put his head in his hands and shook his head disapointedly," I already tried that one. That's what my comment about being raised with the left ones that taught you to speak flowery." He chuckled to himself." Oh boy, sounds like just the kind of people I'll stay away from. Atleast for a little while." He flashed her a grin that would've charmed most, although any that knew him well most likely wouldn't fall under his charm.

He raised his eyebrow in mock question," Are you sure about that? I would've thought that you were the kind of person that would do that for the fun of it." He shrugged," But I suppose if you say that you don't do that then must be it's true." He shrugged once more as if trying to convince her that he didn't know anything.
Cyrene Guinevere (played by KingOfDorks) Topic Starter

“Oh, please,” Cyrene chuckled. “You’re leading an army of children raised by a couple of rogues and thieves. What else would you expect? Sunshine and rainbows? Besides, if everyone were to be stealing and destroying things, it would be like any other day to me.” Then, she gasped, smiling widely. “Imagine a toddler, just-” She began laughing at her unsaid thought. “-just demanding for whatever you have on you!”

“Avoiding what kind of people? The left or right?” Cyrene furrowed her brows, confusing herself. She did ignore the smile, despite the faint rosiness spreading across her cheeks. Then, she laughed. “And what do you mean? There’s no way I was raised by the ‘left’ side of people. Just ‘cause I know a handle of quotes or smart things from a book or something doesn’t mean I’m quote-on-quote flowery.

She yawned, shrugging once again. “I mean, sure. It’s a good way to surprise someone, sneaking through the back. I guess it’s really just for fun, too. I’ve been told to go through the front multiple times. Y’know, like everyone else. But then I laughed and told him something along the lines of ‘Well, everyone else is normal, too. And boring. And— trust me— I am not boring.” The redhead snickered

Tobias shook his head and crossed his arms," Well, I think even children would try to keep from anarchy. Especially where it could end in them all being dead. I mean." He shrugged," Murder is kinda... big." He said simply." Oh, a toddler asking me for everything I have wouldn't get much." He laughed," Believe me."

The ones that you said would make your vocabulary seem innocent. They sound like the kind that I would avoid. I'm suppose to be the purest of the elves, if you believe all that. " He shrugged noncommittally," Supposedly all of the elven council are innocent and blameless. I disagree." He stated bluntly. Then he smirked, he thought about restraining himself but he couldn't help it," You can read? And memorize quotes?" Then, as he laughed, he held out a hand so that he could apologize before she began to yell at him," I'm sorry, couldn't help myself."

" I was once told that doors are for people with no imagination." He shrugged with a bright smile," So, I guess rogues and thieves might be the most creative people in the world. I mean, never being without imagination because you never use doors would have to make you pretty creative." He explained, rather long widedly as he wasn't the best at getting his point across.

(( sorry, had to include on of my favorite book quotes of all time.))

“I mean, I’m sure children wouldn’t go towards murder as a last option or.. something like that,” She couldn’t help but shudder at the thought. “Besides, living without a leader means no authority, constantly ignoring the poor and weak and sick. No authority means no rules to break. Honestly, from my point of view, it doesn’t seem all that bad. Who needs authority when you can just support each other?”

“Hol’ the door,” Cyrene blinked, her eyes widening slightly. “You’re supposed to be pure? Tobias! Bottom of a snake! You could have told me that!” She struggled to hold back her laughter, smacking him on the arm. “I wouldn’t have let you steal or whatever!” Then, pausing, the redhead rose a brow and pursed her lips in a sour-like manner. “I mean, kind of? Memorizing quotes, I can. If I’m interested enough. Reading on the other hand is.. debatable.” She shrugged, placing a hand on her chest. “I mean— I know— I can process the words, but it would be compared.. awful to the average person. But you were joking—” She inhaled briskly, tilting her head somewhat. "—so— it's— eh."

She snickered. “Oh? And where’d you hear that? Of course, it’s somewhat accurate—” Cyrene swayed a hand with a snicker. “—but I'm slightly curious. And, might I mention, I still use doors. Just not when I’m really supposed to, I guess.”

(( Lol- No worries! ))

Tobias shook his head," No, leaders don't ignore the poor and weak and sick. Not always anyway. I mean Liam and I were orphans. Then the elders took us in and taught us and helped us with our magic and told us we would be the next generation of elders. And rules are meant to keep people safe from people like... well, people like you. And who says you'd be able to support one another."

He grinned maliciously," If I told you then I couldn't have had such a fun time. I mean, I couldn't have teased you as much, or stole a cob of corn, or anything else fun. Besides, I've witnessed the elders doing... less than honorable things."

" Oh, you use doors sometimes? I thought you always used windows. and, I suppose I didn't hear it, but rather read it in a fictitious book, which I wasn't supposed to be reading because it didn't teach me anything. It was something the main charactee' s teacher said." He told her." Although, the teacher was slightly... off his block."

Rules are meant to keep people safe from people like... well, people like you. “People like me?” Cyrene turned with furrowed brows. Shock and bewilderment and mild frustration struck at her chest. Those words had hit her harder than she wanted to believe. “What.. do you mean?” Then, she forced a smile and snorted. But, no matter how much she laughed it off, there was no denying the slight hiss in her voice. “Oh! Because I’m a rogue! I get it!” Then her grin tightened. “And these children know better than to let one another hit rock bottom. I’m sure they’d be fine.”

“Well,” She tucked her hands into her pockets, staring at the pavement beneath her, “even I’ll have to admit that sometimes the right thing is better than the wrong. But, on the other hand, you didn’t mean.. You’re confusing, did ya know that?” She sighed, weakly smiled, and shook her head. “If it’s ever needed, I suppose we can apologize to.. Whomever for our actions and choices.”

“Of course I use the door sometimes,” The redhead awkwardly snickered, as if the statement confused her. “I mean, I can use normal entrances. I just prefer not to, most of the time.” She lightly shrugged. “A book, eh? Sounds.. Somewhat boring. Why imagine a story when you can just live it?”

Tobias's eye's narrowed, he knew that sound. It was the sound of... pain? He knew it wasn't good in a conversation anyway. He bit his lip as he tried to remember what he had been taught to say and do when you accidently offended someone. He remembered they had said something about excersizes made you remember things. Well, he certainly couldn't just start running and then return and try to help. "Yunno what? Screw those lessons." He thought to himself. He tapped her on the shoulder so that hopefully she would turn to look at him. He wanted to make eye contact." Hey." He said softly.

He grinned at her, obviously enjoying her confusion," Yes, I do know I'm confusing. It's a curse of mine, but I make it work. And besodes, i don't think I'm returning. Not to live anyway. And I'm not apologizing for my life and I'm... Sorry, that sounded really rebellious and angry and..." He sighed before rolling his eyes at himself." you get the idea."

" Because, I was stuck inside being forced to learn and study and practice. I couldn't exactly just run off and have an adventure. Unlike some." He smiled warmly to Cyrene." Not that I'm jealous or anything, I understand every life has its worries.

When Tobias’s plan had, in fact, worked, the redhead looked towards him. She felt weak. Exposed. She shouldn’t have said anything. She shouldn’t have overreacted. Had she overreacted? What did he think of her, now that she seemed so sensitive about who she was? Slowly, she took a deep breath, nodded, and gave on of her famous lopsided grins. She would be fine. She believed she would be fine, anyways. “Greetings,” Cyrene simply replied, lifting her hand to flick the elf on his forehead.

Then, she eased back into her usual stroll, no longer stiff and wobbling as if she couldn’t walk at all. “No, no,” She held up her hands. “Don’t apologize. It was fine. Holding back any emotions or words has a negative effect. Besides, I completely understand that.” The redhead glanced towards him. “But, even if it doesn’t sound.. ideal, I think you should go back and live there. It would be nice. And, since you’re going to be a new.. leader or whatever, you can slowly make new changes and steps to become a better community. It’s a win-win, in my opinion.”

“Oh, bottom of a snake,” She laughed. “I would never run away and have an adventure just because I felt like it. Maybe around the town, yes, but never outside of the walls. It sounds amazing, though. I mean, it’s not like I couldn’t say goodbye to everyone here and live on my own to have some sort of adventure. I definitely could. I think.. I don’t want to say I’m afraid of leaving, but I do fear what would happen if I left.” She blinked, looking at her hands in confusion, as if that would give her the answer she was looking for. “Did.. that make sense..?”

Tobias whacked her hand after she had flicked him." Oi!" He shook his head," Look, I didnt mean it like 'at. I was mostly teasin'. And I understand that you only break rules sometimes. And that you're not a bad person, just that some rogues are. And I'm sorry... I... I think." His bravado slowly dissipated as he spoke, leaving him speaking rather softly by the end.

He put up his hands and wobbled them palm up, as if weighing his options,"Well, if I do go back, then I'll only be one of many. And, I still have to wait until one of the Elders decide to step down, or die." He shrugged," But, I guess I can see what you're saying. " Then he grinned mischeviously to lighten the mood," Although I'm sure Liam would find a way to bother me, and disagree at every step." He laughed, slightly strained.

Tobias watched her for a moment before noddong. He breathed in before he spoke, slightly warily," So, you're not afraid for yourself if you go, but you're afraid of what happens to the people you left behind? Is that by any chance what you meant? 'Cause if it is, then I'm afraid I don't understand you." He shrugged.

Cyrene lifted a brow. “No need to apologize,” She blinked awkwardly, attempting to come up with something better to say in response. “But I understand what you meant- well, now I do. I probably shouldn’t have been so offended, anyways.” She shared a benevolent smile. “But I’m sure if you met some rogues who aren’t as.. inarticulate and irresponsible- and maybe a little more cautious- I’d like to think you’d lighten up about them- well, us.” She snickered lightly.

“Well,” Cyrene tapped her chin, “I guess waiting would be the most boring part, huh? But, in that case, you could just brainstorm ideas or something. And maybe you could convince Liam to agree with your choices.” The redhead laughed. “You could turn it into a game.. or something like that. He could be your second-in-command and hear your propositions before anyone else.” Chuckling, Cyrene shrugged, rethinking the idea.

“I think I confused myself,” She admitted with a nod. “But, yeah. I guess that’s what I meant. I just don’t.. Here. I think I can explain this..? If you were to run off, wouldn’t you worry about Liam or anyone else? What if something were to happen to them, and you’d have no idea because you were too busy having an adventure?” Her eyes widened slightly, causing her to pause for a moment. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it like that-”

"Aren't you the one that said"holding back any emotions or words has a negative effect"? I mean, practice what you preach anyone? If I offended you it's my fault, not yours. Oh? I was under the impression that you were the exception and not the rule. I had assumed that most rogues were well... less than honorable. Which, I feel you have proven inaccurate." He shrugged," If I meet more, I'll try to be a blank slate." He pledged solemnly.

Tobias raised a sarcastic eyebrow," He's only two years younger than me. And he's the nerdier of us. Games really don't hold much of an appeal to him. He enjoys reading,writing and studying." Tobias shook his head," Never thought I'd meet someone who enjoyed studying. Anyway, but yes I think I can...persuade him." He told her, rather suspiciously.

Tobias shook his head, grinning from ear to ear which was rather odd considering the context," Looks like we're both having trouble with saying what we mean,eh? I've mostly been ignoring it. I mean, Liam's fairly skilled with his batons, and exceptional with his magic so I don't worry too much about him. But yeah, I know what you mean." Then he grinned," As a matter of fact I think he might be the more capable of us, Although if never admit that to him."

“Well- Yes, I suppose I did say that,” Cyrene squinted, as if trying to recall her own words from moments ago. “But, no, I don’t practice what I preach. Pfft- I’ll be honest with you; I made that up on the spot, but I meant it.” Then, she perked and laughed. “Ha! Alright, look-” She tilted her head in his direction, grinning crookedly. “-I can follow rules sometimes, I just prefer not to. So, being the exception is a.. good idiom, I guess, but I’m just overall standing on the line between good and bad.”

“And, no, not all rogues are the disreputable, immoral people were rumored to be. I mean, you have certain groups,” Yawning, she held out her hands, as if bearing each group within her hands. “You have the goody-two-shoes, which are people with too many morals to keep up with. There are people like me, who care too much about other people and probably will drive themself insane by thirty. There are the ‘dancers’, as we like to call ‘em. They’re pretty laid back, if you ask me. Oh! And who can forget the originals? The low and dirty thieves.” She flashed a smile, curling her hands into fists. “But, who can blame them? They have too much on their shoulders, and they need whatever they can steal.”

She stuck out her tongue, recoiling at the thought of someone finding amusement in studying and the sorts. “Well, I could piece together that he got the brains-” She winked at Tobias with a joking smile. “-but I didn’t think he would enjoy that. I mean, if I had half the brains you claim he has, I definitely wouldn’t be studying just for the fun of it.”

She clapped her hands together, glad and surprised she was able to explain what she had meant. “Oh. I’m just terrible at speaking, in general. But, mhm. I mean, it’s nice you still care and all, though. It’s good to hear something like that every once in a while. Pfft! The most capable? Don’t doubt yourself too much. I’m sure there’s some secret- and totally amazing- talent you possess. He has the brains and you have the..” Cyrene narrowed her eyes. “..charm?” Then, she snorted, covering her mouth as she did.

" Standing on the line between them? Isn't that a bit... dangerous? Won't you eventually fall to one side or the other? And won't that... yunno... hurt? When you fall?" He jested with a lazy grin ,"Anyway, I know what you mean."

He frowned and furrowed his brow in confusion," Wait, are the so called ," goody two shoes" rogues? I mean, you were listing types of rogues but... I've never seen a " goody two shoes" rogue. Then again, before you, I never saw a rogue." He shrugged," But otherwise I suppose I understand you."

" Oh, I think he's got more than just the brains." Tobias grinned," And, besides, didn't we talk about street and library smarts? I've got a bit of both." He tapped his temple," Sometimes I wonder if he has any common sense. Then there are times that I know."

" Wow, thanks! I'm charming." Tobias snorted. He honestly thought he was the least charming person he had ever met. He had always thought if others had a silver tongue, then he had a lead one." Sure I am. Sure." He replied sarcastically.

Despite it being a lighthearted joke, Cyrene couldn’t help but choke on her words. Would it hurt, dare she fall into either? Her gaze laid upon the ground for a moment, her eyes wide and her lips pursed in a ‘hold-on-and-let-me-think-for-a-moment’ expression. She inhaled, finally letting go of a shaky, nervous laugh she had bitten back. “I’m good at balancing, let’s say,” The redhead nodded once, firmly.

“Surprisingly, they are,” She risked a tender smile. “They just don’t steal without apologizing to whoever they worship and refuse to hurt and or take from children. Little things like that. But, do I think they’re rogues? Nah. They’re too good to accomplish something so bad.”

“Huh,” Cyrene scrunched her nose and tilted her head to the right. “Sounds like an interesting personality to have, I suppose.” Then, she smirked much like a snake, looking towards the elf. “But y’know what they say ‘bout the pretty ones, don’t you? They don’t always end up with the intelligence.” She chuckled, taking a step to the side just in case.

When she faced forward again, she drew in a quick gasp of air. “Just ahead!” She pointed eagerly. “I mean-” She cleared her throat with a sly grin. “The palace is ahead. You think you’re ready, or are you still nervous?” Whatever the answer, Cyrene was somewhat excited to be returning already. Though she had little care for the King, she did enjoy messing with the guards and the assistant, however.

The palace was high upon the slant of the road overlooking the town, it's many pointed towers giving it the look of an eccentric crown. The walls were a grey, rough stone that glistened in the summer sun and the roof was crimson slate. It was as big as twenty of the ordinary houses of the town and employed a fair number of the townsfolk as servants, but those who worked under the King were more than likely the ones in need of the extra money. Around the palace were the horse pastures and kitchen gardens for the royal family ( which was only the King, in reality ), and around that was a shorter stone wall topped with iron spikes and guarded day and night. Thankfully, the guards were able to change shifts every so often.

Tobias noticed that, once again, he had accidently hit a nerve. It seemed he did that quite often, why? He wondered to himself,"Why can't I be silver tongued like the others they picked out to be Elders? Liam will probably end up more charismatic then me." He thought rather sarcastically. " Well, I certainly hope you are, Although it seems to me that most people dance across that line most of their lives, so perhaps you're the most reliable person in the world."

He raised a sarcastic eyebrow and curled his lip," So, as long as you apologize everything is okay? That sounds rather... immoral and inacurate. Atleast to me, perhaps you can explain it to me." He shrugged nonchalantly, he really didn't care too much about the answer, he was simply stating an opinion of his, and if it was incorrect than he would have to fix his thoughts, that's all.

"Yeah, interesting is a good way to describe him." He nodded," A very good way to describe him. And no-one said I was pretty. I'm actually handsome, so there!" He grinned before sticking out his tongue with a quick laugh.

He, yet again, raised an eyebrow. He wondered fleetingly if it was actually caterpillar that was dancing on his forehead. He snorted before covering his mouth," Sorry." He said with a grin." Anyway, do you really want an answer to that question? I mean, no matter what I answer we have to go anyway, so why ask?"

“It’s like a teeter-totter, I guess,” She lifted and lowered her shoulders, her hands returning to her pockets. “One day could be more rebellious than the other, while the other could be more righteous. I mean, it’s not like I can accomplish anything terribly too bad, I suppose. But, on the other hand, there’s no way I could just.. Hand out kindness like it’s nothing.” Flinching, she lowered her voice. “Sorry. That sounded disrespectful. There’s nothing wrong with doing that, though. It’s just.. not something.. I could do..? If that even makes sense.”

“It is, isn’t it?” Cyrene threw up her hands, seemingly moving them a lot. “It doesn’t make sense! Just apologizing doesn’t- It doesn’t benefit anyone. You see, you chose this path of being a rogue or a thief- possibly both- and you should expect not to have so many morals! Apologizing to who knows what doesn’t change what you’ve done.” She took a deep breath. “But, you’re right. Just apologizing doesn’t make anything we do alright or acceptable, even.”

“Ah, how could I forget?” The redhead laughed. “Tobias he ‘charming’, handsome- not pretty- leader of an army of children, also known to be a secret rebellious leader of his own elf kind.” She chuckled, casting a glance towards him to make sure she hadn’t accidentally stated anything possibly too harsh.

She nodded, pretending to think his words over for a moment in a serious manner. “Perhaps so I can tease you, then make sure you’re alright?” Cyrene shared a considerate smile. Then she went back to the jestering grin. She didn’t want her adult-like characteristics to slip, even for a moment. Apparently, it was one of her few weaknesses, now that she thought about it.

Tobias grinned, shaking his head goofily and laughing openly," No, you're fine." He laughed,"You're just an artist with words aren't you?" He asked, Although he secretly wondered if that's what people thought about him If they thought he was always tripping over his words. If he was just a jumble of nerves. Perhaps he was, but he hoped he could fix that. So, he breathed in and plowed through his next statement after some consideration on the correct words," I understand what you mean, it just doesn't feel like how you want to portray yourself. How you want to be, and how you want others to think of you. And it can get pretty exhausting always being nice to everyone." He shrugged with a slight lift of his shoulders before dropping them heavily.

" So... you don't have some super secret something that you know about the goodie two shoes rogues? I honestly thought you knew something. Like why they just apologized and called it a day, or why someone with that many morals becomes a rogue or... well, I don't know I guess I always thought adults, or people older than me, always had it figured out." Tobias shrugged again, this time slightly weaker as he admitted what he thought.

Tobias pointed a finger at the woman before waggling it as of to say she was misbehaving," You forgot that " pointy toothed princess." don't you know, that's the most important part of my title. It just isn't the same without that part." He teased. He hadn't caught the look and didn't find anything there too offensive. The remark about a secret rebel did sting a little, but not enough to show on his face, and certainly not enough to comment on.

Tobias crossed his arms moodily," Wow! Thanks! Just the kind of friend I wanted. The kind that tells me they don't care about my opinions." He added in a fake sniffle," The kind that tease me!" He added in an exaggerated whine. Then he grinned widely to her in an effort to forestall any harsh emotions that he might have caused," Sorry, couldn't help myself. But yes, I am kind o' nervous but I think I'll make it."

“Mhm. That.. sounds better than what I was planning on saying,” Cyrene chuckled sheepishly, rubbing the back of her neck. “And, no, I am definitely not good with words. Though, I wished I paid more attention in those little classes we were permitted to take. Maybe I would’ve learned a better way to express- well- anything and everything.”

“I mean, maybe others know or understand more about them than I do, but there’s usually a reason for someone to just.. become a rogue,” Cyrene’s brows furrowed as she paused, thinking. She had a reason. The rogues she knew had a reason. It was along the lines of currency issues to just having a twisted mind and or having to prove a point. “But, who knows? They might be apologizing religiously or just in general to.. whomever, I guess. Like I said before, I don’t think apologizing would make right the wrongs, but it would just lighten the situation. I suppose?”

The redhead gasped. “Oh!” She clapped her hands together. “How could I forget about something so important?” She smiled, chuckling. Then, she lifted a brow and looked towards him, unable to disguise her taunting smile. “Of course I care about your opinion, I’ll just tease you ‘bout it first. Nothing but lighthearted joking, anyways.” Then, Cyrene nudged him with her elbow. “I still don’t get why you’re nervous. It’s like talkin’ to me, only it’s royalty and you’re delivering an important message.” She blinked. “Alright, now that I say that out loud, I guess I can see why you would have a little jitters.”

" Yeah, I know the feeling." He smiled grimly," I was suppose to listen to the classes on similar things." He shrugged, " I guess we both kind o' failed there eh? Anything and everything huh? I don't know about all 'at but maybr." He shrugged again.

" Lighten the situation? That's an... interesting way of describing 'at." He lifted his shoulders and dropped them in a heartbeat. The corner of his lip curled into a partial grin," I mwan, if you can't give it back for whatever, why not just apologize and call it a day? What's your reason? If you saw that everyone that becomes a rogue has a reason, what's yours." He asked.

Tobias sighed," Yeah, see why I'm nervous? Besides, I seem to remember a certain female red haired human rogue being nervous to deliver a message to the elven council. And, she knew what her letter said, for all I know mine could be filled with cusses. Although that would disprove the idea of our leaders being guilless so perhaps that would be a good thing."

“Who really knows, anyways?” Cyrene mocked his shrugging habit with a jokingly dorky grin. “Besides, what're the use for those speaking and grammar classes and such? I mean, other than teaching you how to have a conversation and discuss far more important things than the unimportance of the class itself.” She inhaled, rethinking the statement as it left her mouth. Did that even make sense?

“Well.. Yeah!” Cyrene laughed. “It’s like accidentally bumping into someone. You could at least apologize, just to make it a little better. It doesn’t change the fact that you ran into them, but it helps that you apologized, even if you’ll forget about the apology anyways.” Then, she found herself pausing to think once again. Her reason? “I was just born into it, I guess. Never really had the money to pick myself up, let alone the patience to do somethin’ about it. And I think I grew a little addicted to the kind of people that I grew up around. Just a little.” She smiled to herself. Even if they weren’t the best type of people, they were her kind of people. And what kind was that, exactly? The ones who would jump off a cliff just to prove a point.

“Well, that certain female red haired rogue was also overthinking about the little things, which she shouldn’t have done. Surprisingly, thinking at all. And, even if she knew what her letter said, she could barely read it because she ignored her classes,” This caused her to snort. “The main lesson here? Don’t skip classes, and don’t be nervous.”

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » For Arthur!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus