Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Roleplaying and age

Hello everyone

Do you agree that Roleplaying only for teens? And you are too old for roleplay when you are 30+? What's the average age in this site? Hopefully, it's an enjoyable topic
Cherry wrote:
And you are too old for roleplay when you are 30+?

Oof... I sure hope not. XD Else I'm a bit past my "expiration date".

giphy.gif
MordosKull

I'm with Juls on this one. XD
Ditto what the last two said. XD I honestly can't imagine why rp would only be for teens. There's no age limit on creativity.
Been RPing since I was like 13, and I'm 23 now - I don't imagine I'll be stopping any time soon either lol

There's no cut off for having fun, imo. If you're not harming anyone in doing what you love (Be it RPing, buying stickers with little smiley faces on them, whatever!) then I say go for it. Age being a cut off for having fun is stupid lol
Creativity doesn't have an expiration date--why should the mediums?

RP is just collaborative writing and story-telling and the internet is still so very young -- so you will see that millenial people have grown up with the medium and the younger generation hop in now en masse because it's becoming more freely available and the awareness has grown!
LOL! No, why should it, be ?

I started with tabletop when I was nine after bugging my two older brothers to let me join their D&D campaign and I've continued on and off for 20+ years. We've had Medieval and Renaissance fairs where I live where people dress up and LARP, including myself, I've RPed on Twitter, Discord, forums and now here as ways of RPing online for the past five years. I'm turning 37 next January and I don't plan to stop RPing so long as I'm having fun.
Not at all. I started at 18/19 and am now almost 24, will probably be RPing until I am so old I can't process words anymore - so a long time.

Most of my RP partners are 28+, my oldest RP partner was 45. Creative writing is for everyone of all ages, whether it's roleplaying, writing books, poems, ect. You're never too old to immerse yourself in a story whether you're reading or writing it.

Average age is probably around 23-26, but there's a lot of 13-18 year olds, and 30+ year olds as well. Everyone of all ages.
Why should any hobby have an age limit? If it makes you happy, then go for it!
I'm 19. Most of my partners are 15-20-ish. Some of my oldest RP partners that I know of right now are in their late 20's. I may have, and am fine with having, partners who are 30 and older who just haven't come out with their age to me. There's no age cap on fun, and on my own personal roleplaying journey, I've so far found that RP, with my other creative pastimes, have aged with me.

There's no point in time were I see you should have necessarily "grown out" of this hobby. If anything, roleplay's the kind of thing that grows with you. To me, it's art. Like painting, like music, like acting, so on and so forth. If someone were to tell me right now that I'm almost too old to be drawing, I'd like to think I would tell them exactly where they can shove it. Same thing for roleplaying.

Don't let anyone make you feel ashamed for being creative with your downtime due to your age. I agree with Wilts and Juls; art doesn't have an expiration date. :)
Almost every role-playing system--Dungeons & Dragons, any of the White Wolf games, and so on--that inspired many of us to one degree or another were developed by people in their thirties and forties. Same for anime, movies, and whatever else inspires us to create a character to explore a world. Plenty of younger people helped, but the point is, as others have said, there are no limits on creativity.
I can't imagine trying to gate keep role-playing because of age. I know when I started when I was younger all I did was post one liners and *action*. Frankly I was hot trash at it. I'm 27 now and write multi paragraph rps and create more developed characters who inspire me to keep drawings. Plus I'm much better at rp as a whole now.
I certainly don't agree that role playing is something that's only for teenagers. Sure, that's roughly the age when a lot of people start in on the hobby. But like with any hobby or things that people do that they enjoy, it'd be silly to tell them to stop because they're too old.
Rogue-Scribe

ZGcBDGp.jpg*cough* *cough* (dust flies everywhere) Age is just a number and you are as old or as young as you feel. There is no limit on the creativity, and in fact, the more life one lives, the more experiences one gets and can use in their writing creativity.

My first roleplaying experiences was with TSR's 2nd edition of D&D. Yes, I'm older than dirt. I think I have that RPR dinosaur award I got over on Discord on my mantle somewhere. I'll just say that my granddaughter was on this site when she was in high school. She got interested in RP back in the '00's when she was curious about my Middle Earth forum rolepaying on The One Ring.

As the RP age gradient tends to be a younger school/university age hobby, and as people age and get deeper into ‘life’ (careers, kids, bills, etc.) the participation in the hobby tends to decline if not altogether stop. The truly addicted will still find time, and I’m here to say that on the other end of that gradient and retirement comes along, suddenly one has a lot of time on their hands again.

*cough* cough* ... anyway, I think I'll climb back into my coffin for a while...
-puts denatures- what was that billy?...beth? W-what are we talking about?

Dude age should not limit one on ones hobby. 32 here. Been rping since i was around 12 or 15. Probably younger. Dont plan on quitting. Honestly hobbies start off young and sometimes last forever...probably will still be here on rpr for another 30 years doing the thing I love. <3 granted kids today and their...mtv...and game boys...and those little pocket pet things...oi!!! Off my lawn!!! W-what was I talking about now...oh yeah back in my day -trails off talking aimlessly about the price of a happy meal back in his day-
*squints*

I'm turning 32 soon, and I know I'm far from alone, nor anywhere near the eldest.
RP is a hobby and creative hobbies shouldn't be limited by age ! :)

The fun thing about text-based RP though is that you are also learning to write with every post you make, and while games and settings may come and go as time goes by, that skill and those characters you made do stick with you. RP won't quit, but it may transform.

The Dresden Files' author Jim Butcher (and many others) honed his skills on old-school MUSH RPs!
Rogue-Scribe wrote:
My first roleplaying experiences was with TSR's 2nd edition of D&D. Yes, I'm older than dirt. I think I have that RPR dinosaur award I got over on Discord on my mantle somewhere. I'll just say that my granddaughter was on this site when she was in high school. She got interested in RP back in the '00's when she was curious about my Middle Earth forum rolepaying on The One Ring.

Rogue-Scribe: single-handedly skewing the average age statistic. :-P
Rogue-Scribe

Juls wrote:
Rogue-Scribe: single-handedly skewing the average age statistic. :-P

m2ATPp5.jpg
^ (wish I looked this good for my age) ^

v Doing my best to not be too much of a cantankerous old coot... :D ;) v
I'm fifty in a couple of months. I've never considered myself too old for anything I do now, especially for Role Play, anywhere.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Roleplaying and age

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus