Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Roleplaying and age

I_Am_Belladonna

Cherry wrote:
Hello everyone

Do you agree that Roleplaying only for teens? And you are too old for roleplay when you are 30+? What's the average age in this site? Hopefully, it's an enjoyable topic

Honestly, I feel like roleplay is for all people, even if it might be centered around the youths!
ChebaTheBee

I don't think that rp is a hobby for teens only. In my opinion, anyone of any age can roleplay. It's like with cartoons or videogames, they're not meant for younger audiences only and pretty much anyone can have fun watching animated shows and play games regardless of their age (unfortunately, one of my parents thinks that those two types of entertainment are meant for children only, when they can be targeted at adults as well).

I myself started rp-ing when I was about 12-13 years old, and I will be 21 this year and still enjoy roleplaying. Plus in this one rp guild I was in in some game I play has a lot of members who are 25+ and still roleplay. Most of the rp partners I've had/have were/are mainly over the age of 24-25.

So yeah, I don't think it should be targeted at a certain age of audience (if I worded it correctly...).
I agree with what has been written.

A lot of people stop RPing because they take their creativity into areas that are accessible mostly after one gets a after college education, or because thwy cease having enough time for it. But a lot of others continue pursuing their hobby.
Hell no.

Has my RP mojo slowed or changed direction since I was a teenager? Sure. But my writing has progressed, evolved and now manifests differently rather than having disappeared entirely. Collaborative storytelling holds a perpetual appeal and that appeal has absolutely no root in my age.
*Casually looks at all 6 epic week cake slices on her profile and her November 15th 2012 join date.... >.>*

No I'm not a RPR fossil, no way, I don't know what you are talking about.
I definitely don't qualify as old, but the group of people that introduced me to RP included people of all ages. Though I do agree that it tends to work better for those of us on the younger side of the bell curve since we usually have more free time and less responsibilities. I knew a gal in her 30s that still made time during the week even though she had just had a baby. I think that imagination and creativity are only as restricted as we let them be.

Just my 2¢ I guess.
Critical Role. High Rollers. Acquisitions Incorporated. Nights of Eveningstar. A handful of very popular Dungeons & Dragons RP shows from a selection of many many more such examples across Twitch, Youtube and more. So many adults play roleplaying games, famous or otherwise. Heck, Vin Diesel plays D&D.

D&D is no different, at least when it comes to age limits, than any other RP format. Just because dice and character sheets are involved doesn't change the fact that it's all just shared make-believe. When it comes down to it, it's the same thing as the games kids play together in the playground. Or collaborative novels between seasoned authors. It's theatre. It's improv. It's storytelling. If adults can play D&D, adults can do forum RP.

RP has never had an age limit. And never should. Anyone who perceives it as a childish endeavour is simply not looking hard enough. A lot of people who say they don't RP might well find that, actually, they do, they just don't realise it.

At the end of the day, RP is simply collaborative storytelling.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.”

-Ray Bradbury.
Now just why should I quit RPing or stop making unique gifts for people around the RP Worlds that I visit just because I am a retired Grandma?

There is still a small Impette - alive and well, I may say- still living in this old handicapped body. Yet I still get carded occasionally when she gets out.
(Including once when going into a VHW, my daughter wasn't carded but I was! ROFL A true story.)
I know there are those who see RP as a kind of 'game', and presumably thats where you're coming from assuming its a younger person's activity? Truth is I don't see it that way at all, I see it as a collaborative writing effort. Think of all the writers of famous books, many of which are well beyond teen years. I know its a little different perhaps, but from my perspective its not that far off. Both are writing endeavors, one is simply a team effort while the other is singular.

That being said the only age issue with rp is when minors are involved. Some adults aren't comfortable writing with minors and romance with a minor is, I'm pretty sure, illegal.

Other than that, you can never be too old to be a writer, and rp falls under the umbrella of that term.
Imagine thinking that only teens can rp. I met people who were in their 60s and they were amazing partners and story tellers. Age means nothing my friend.
It wasn't long ago they said video games were only for kids, now it's a billion dollar industry. It wasn't long ago they said comics were only for kids and now they dominate the mainstream. Nothing is ever just for teens.
Kamizombie wrote:
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.”

-Ray Bradbury.

<3
MasterWinter

I'm in my early thirties, and I'm still into some stuff that's for teens and maybe a little younger.

Example: I grew up with the original: Power Rangers, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Digimon, and Pokémon. I still like some of those things even today.

Rp is still the same for me. Just because I'm in my thirties doesn't mean I have to quit due to not being a specific age. I've known people to be around my age, or older than me who are rping. If you like to rp, then go for it. There's no harm in enjoying a hobby and such, if it makes you happy.

That's my 2 cents on it.
RP is for everybody. Im a middle aged woman and i met my husband through rp. He's been doing it much longer than i. Why should anyone stop a fun, creative hobby just because of age? People of different generations might be into different things or have different styles and that may make it hard to sometimes find partners but don't give up.

I have made some great friends through RP, a couple have sadly passed away. One was pretty much a shut in due to his health issues and RP helped him to socialize and cope with his situation so it can be a lifeline for some and not just a hobby.

I think that some folks might worry that, because we do live in a messed up world, that others might think they are some kinda weirdo or perv if they RP past a certain age . That's sad really, certainly be careful in any online activity but you shouldn't feel bad just because you want to engage in a harmless and fun passtime.
Cherry wrote:
Hello everyone

Do you agree that Roleplaying only for teens? And you are too old for roleplay when you are 30+? What's the average age in this site? Hopefully, it's an enjoyable topic

I believe that role play is for everyone and that age doesn't matter.

Depending on the type of role play interests will vary but usually age isn't the deciding factor. rp evolves and can come in many forms that many enjoy of all ages.

Text based rp, larp, Books, d&d and variations of it, video games, etc.

The basis is still characters/worlds/stories being woven by the imagination and age doesn't stop that.

Just my opinion though.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Roleplaying and age

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus