Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » How long have YOU been on RPR?

You joined the site on December 8th 2010
A couple of years! November 7th 2013 is my join date. :> Looks like I just missed my anniversary!
I've been here since March 19 2015.

I joined because I felt like my brain was about to explode, because I had so many RP ideas but no one to share it with.
You joined the site on June 15th 2012, 11:47pm

Loki got me to join up here then, doesn't feel like that long ago lol.
You joined the site on March 6th 2011, 1:32pm

...... WELL THEN.
Tate

You joined the site on April 15th 2012, 1:19pm

huh
Kim Site Admin

My account is one of the only ones not to have a join date saved, and I couldn't actually tell you the exact chronology of when the site was well-formed enough for accounts to exist and have any kind of meaning. I didn't know when I started coding the thing that it was going to mean so much to me and play such a huge role in my life. If I had, I probably would have kept better records.

I started building the site in early 2010. I'm not sure of the exact date anymore. I was finally learning to program in a serious way and felt that I could put my newfound skills to good use assisting people on games like Furcadia, WoW, even some MUDs -- anywhere that there was RP but potentially limited (or zero) space to write one's character description, biography, and other relevant details. I saw people trying to make use of any available patch of internet to create profiles for their characters on an almost daily basis, and they all had their severe shortcomings or annoyances -- for example, Facebook deletes RP profiles on sight and Webs sites were often so covered in flash animations and auto-play music that my browser would crash every time I tried to read someone's description (my computer was not so hot back then).

So, I started putting together my own drag 'n drop character profile builder.

We officially opened our doors to beta testers on April 24th, 2010 (which is why Epic week now begins on April 24th every year). There were no forums, no private messages, only a handful of templates, and a very limited selection of widgets. That morning, I put an ad on the Furcadia forums asking people to help test the site, and immediately there was a flood of takers.

Having never built something so incredibly interactive, those first months had some rocky patches. Things broke left and right. I learned a LOT. The site changed dramatically and very rapidly. Private messages arrived in May, and then forums in August. By that time, we had roughly 500 users.

500users.png

An early form of groups didn't arrive until another year or so had passed. The forums didn't have a moderator other than me until March 2011. It seems impossible that it took so long, and also that it wasn't so long ago!

I set myself the theme of "maturity and lessons learned" for the RPR in 2015, with the goal being to update and modernize many of the "ancient" systems on the site utilizing the lessons I had learned over the past five years about programming, how people use the site, and how they'd like to use it. As we near the end of the year, I'm also nearing the end of my massive checklist of modernization initiatives, and that means much of the original site code has finally been replaced. The spirit, however, lives on, stronger than ever.

Excuse me while I go stare out a window and wipe away nostalgic tears.
I remember when I signed up, I made my first character (Arlo!) and then I had no idea what to do because I don't think the forums were up yet XD
Almost 2 years and seven months! Mind you in the beginning I wasn't too overly active, but as time progressed and my desire to tell stories and create worlds grew so did my time on this wonderful site.
Unicorn Topic Starter

GIVES KIM SO MANY HUGS. <3
RPR says, "You joined the site on October 5th 2012, 10:13am!"
You joined the site on April 25th 2012, 8:37pm :D :D :D :D :D
Darth_Angelus Moderator

I was one of the people Kim invited to test the site way back on the 24th April 2010, which I did but didn't really become active until about December that same year.

The site has come a long way and it's been fun to watch it grow into what it is today :D
Goo

You joined the site on April 5th 2011, 11:59pm

Buuut I think I'm guilty of having signed up and abandoned it for a while. :'D Whoops.
"You joined the site on July 13th 2015, 12:26pm"
So, I found this site because I was starting to get really into roleplay but I felt a huge limit of what I could do or a lacking sense of community on all of the other sites I tried, and when I finally found this site, it felt like home right away-- I had finally found what I was looking for! I've only been on here a few months, and that's with a huge unplanned hiatus right in middle of it, but I can't imagine trying to go without it now! It's like I've been on here forever, which is funny, the way you guys have been here for years and it feels so short to you.
Highjinx wrote:

October join buddies! *highfive*
Loki wrote:
Highjinx wrote:

October join buddies! *highfive*

*highfive* AYYYYYEEEEE lol
October of 2011, I think. Time flies. What made me join? I'm not on Furcadia and none of my friends use this site. There are no hints in my welcome thread. Mysterious...
May 20, 2012.
I remember noticing a few people using it on Furcadia and wondering what the hell it was, and it felt like within a year EVERYONE had ditched Webs and Wix and come over here. I was hesitant to join for a couple of reasons.
1. I had a LOT of information on Webs and didn't want to transfer it all over.
2. I was using some fancy premade layouts on webs in HTML which I understand enough of to edit something already there, and didn't understand CSS.

Finally though I was looking on here to see what it was all about and the whole social networking and unique customization really sold me. Once I finally understood how it worked, I was hooked. Since then I've been pushing this onto all sorts of RP groups - even pen and paper players as it's easier to keep their info organized in one place.

And then, thanks to you Kim, I learned I had a talent I didn't know! I'm actually a pretty decent graphic designer and found myself really enjoying making something the whole community could enjoy.

Hard to believe I've been here 3 years already. Can't wait to see what is in store for the future!
Silby

You joined the site on August 24th 2010, 8:35pm

olawdy what am i doing with my life

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » How long have YOU been on RPR?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus