Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » For Arthur!

Tobias Clark (played by Tugboattom)

Tobias raised a blond eyebrow," An old ally?" He asked, slightly confused," Were you in some kind of war or something?" After a moment of thinking he had missed something he settled back onto the horse. He enjoyed the warm feeling of another animal's body near him. He had tried to convince the Elders that Liam and he needed a dog, or maybe a stag. He smiled fondly at the memory as he waited for her answer. He patted Duke on the side and leaned over to look at the horse's head.
Cyrene Guinevere (played by KingOfDorks) Topic Starter

“Oh, no,” Cyrene quickly replied, swaying a hand in the air. “I was never prepared for anything like a war. Nothing quite as extreme, at least.” She shuddered at the thought. “Ally.. It was the only word I could think of. She was a tutor, but she didn’t like to think of herself like that. She made herself an equal with everyone she taught. Only, she kept it in the front of our minds that she was not our friend.” The redhead looked down, kicking a rock as she walked. Though, she rolled her shoulders into a brisk shrug and lifted her head. She decided it would be best if she stopped talking. For her own sake, of course.

Duke, on the other hand, was distracted by the elf on his back. His ears perked and he paused for a moment, somewhat confused. Despite this, he slowly continued moving forward with extra pep in his step. He seemed to take a liking to the elf who constantly gave him pats.

Tobias nodded, he noticed how she became quiet. He raised an eyebrow before deciding he shouldn't pry. He didn't enjoy when others pried, so he didn't expect anyone else would either. He looked down fondly to the riding horse underneath him," Nice horse. I think, he's the first one I've been on so I don't know if I'm the best judge on horses." He shrugged with a roll of his shoulders, he hoped he had successfully changed the direction of the conversation. He looked over to her to see how she was holding up.

Suddenly, Cyrene sent a gander towards Tobias, her smile returning almost immediately. "Thank you," She nodded. She told herself to keep the conversation flowing, just so time would fly by faster and her mind would drift further away from the words she had said moments before. The redhead stretched, looking back at him. Seeing her struggle, Duke lifted his head and scoffed before taking a small leap forward. Cyrene snorted. "Tell me 'bout it!" Blinking, she then looked towards the elf. "He said he's one of the best stallions, thank you." She chuckled, then widened her eyes. "He didn't startle you, did he? With the jumping?"

Tobias gasped as the horse jumped. He let out the breath and grinned sheepishly to Cyrene." No, no not at all." He scoffed, obviously lying, but it was only a joke and he wanted her to know that he actually had been startled. He rubbed the horse's side," Well, I guess I have to believe that you are the best now don't I?" He asked the horse," I mean, I have nothing else to measure you against so..." He shrugged, smiling," Must be your the best!" He told Duke with yet another pat on the horse. He frowned mockingly," I think I'm addicted to letting your horse." He nodded," I like 'im." He told Cyrene. Then realizing that it sounded like he wanted to take the horse he hastily added," And I'm sure you do too. Maybe sometime I'll have to get one like him." He then looked at the horse, and before the horse could do anything drastic he spat out," Not that there's any quite like him, but close probably." He said.

Cyrene’s brows furrowed in worry, and she grinned delicately. Nervousness was slowly eating away at her thoughts. She didn’t want anything to possibly happen to the elf, but she did trust Duke not to let anything happen. “Apologies, Tobias, he gets.. excited,” She chuckled gingerly. “I’m sure he didn’t mean anything by it. Right, Bud?” Looking towards Duke, Cyrene watched as he moved his head up and down moderately.

The rogue snorted in laughter. “He’s not mine, Tobias,” She admitted. Though, she didn’t seem to be iniquitous or regretful, but exuberant. She tilted her head with a grin. “Like I said, no one controls hi, really. So to call him ‘my horse’-” She held up air quotations as her voice grew bubbly. “-is ridiculous!” Chuckling, Cyrene nodded. “Besides, I think he’s too assured that he’s a one-of-a-kind to do anything. So, no worries!”

Tobias laughed," How'd ya know I was covering up and trying to keep him from bucking?" He asked jokingly ."Hm... His own horse." He tilted his head before nodding," I suppose it makes sense, I'm my own elf, why can't he be his own horse." He shrugged before turning to her with a grin," So, what do you do for a job?" He asked her curiously. He wanted something totally about and she had already seen his life for the most part so that was t going to make much of a conversation.

"Oh, please. If anyone can spot a lie, it's me," Cyrene joked with a wink. "Besides, I do it too often, as well. Complimenting him, I mean." She chuckled at his agreement, but the laughter was cut short rather quickly. "A.. job? Like a occupation or something? Well, let's see.." The redhead thought for a moment. With a tight smile, she turned away for a moment and pursed her lips. "It's nothing compared to what others do, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to share." With an exhale, Cyrene made sure to speak hastily as she continued, "I might go around.. helping with the little children who can't defend themselves, let alone do anything on their own. Now, don't get me wrong-" She added a sharpness to her tone, slowing down her words by the slightest. "-just because I take care of a handful of children here or there, it doesn't make me any less durable."

Tobias laughed," Cyrene's a softy!" He joked. Then after a few moments he stopped laughing, holding out a hand as if trying to keep Cyrene from saying anything," I'm joking. I'm joking. I understand that takin' care o' people doesn't make you weak. If anything it makes you a stronger person." He nodded to her.

Folding her arms as she waited for the elf's fit of laughter to quiet down, Cyrene rose a brow with a smile she seemed to be struggling to hide. Perhaps she wasn't as tough as she liked to believe she was, but she wasn't soft. She rolled her eyes at the thought ( which actually showed that she admired it, in her own way ). "And where did you learn to be a wise-mouth?" Cyrene returned the slight taunting with a lopsided grin. When she turned her attention forward again, she did mumble a small thank-you, just to acknowledge her gratitude towards his words.

Tobias grinned mischeviously ," When I spent several years studying under the elders. Have you seen how ancient they are?" He asked her mockingly," They dont call them elders for no reason." He joked,"And you are very welcome." He smiled widly, obviously enjoying her thanks, and the opportunity to pick on her.." What were you like as a kid?" He asked, then realizing he might be treading on unsolid ground there he hastily added," If your ok with sharing with me."

Before the laughter came, its anticipation flipped her expression. Amusement tugged at the edges of her lips as she looked up at the elf yet again. "My apologies, Tobias, but you don't seem like the kind of person to give insolence that often," Cyrene jested with a tiny snicker. His next statement did make a turn up for the books, though. Not to mention catching her on the hop. A pleasing, yet uneasy feeling settled in her chest. "Oh, it's fine. It's not like you're asking for anything personal." She flashed a quick and reassuring smile. "Well, for starters, I was even more reckless than I am now. Which I find surprising, actually. I mean, when I was around the toddler-kid stage, I was pretty obedient. Then, after some events, I think I snapped. From there and forward- to.. fifteen, let's say- I put myself before others, and I didn't exactly fear.. death, I suppose." Cyrene nearly winced, shuddering. "Which was ridiculous. Who doesn't fear death, when putting their lives at stake? Anyways, I think I've matured just a bit over the last two years, so it's not.. quite as bad?" She chuckled, clearly unsure.

Tobias chuckled. He understood not fearing death, although for entirely different reasons. He had been taught since he was young that if he died he would be taken to a better place by his God Lothfalas. He wasn't entirely certain he believed it but he did know that he wasn't afraid of death," Why are you afraid of death now? What happened? They say that experiences are what mature us, and as you age you have more of them. So which experience began to scare you of death?" He asked her quietly.

Cyrene didn't face him. Instead, her gaze rested on the ground ahead of her, which was full of the soft soil, pebbles she constantly shuffled out of the way, and a few patches of grass here and there. It would be good to get it off your chest, wouldn't it? Her mind was a mess. Besides, it wasn't your fault, anyways. Well, not exactly. Actually, that's a lie, because- She swayed a hand furiously, as if she were swiping away the thought. "Alright, I suppose it won't hurt to share, right? And, by the way, last question, Curious Cat," Cyrene laughed and put on a thin, harsh smile.

Though, her joyful facial features were quick to change. "As I previously said, I had a tutor in my earlier years. Since she had many people to.. watch over, she would send a small group of people to retrieve supplies and such. And, before it's asked-" She held up her hand. "-the people my tutor would 'help' or watch over were mainly wanted rogues or orphans, and sometimes they wouldn't get along. Well, it was most of the time. So, in order to keep things in check, my tutor would have to stay within the household to make sure no one was harmed." With a brisk dip of her head, the archer risked a glance towards the elf. "Currency was scarce, and we didn't really want to waste it on anything but taxes for the household and such. Still with me?" There wasn't enough time to answer before she continued. "Great. So, long story short, it happened to be my turn to gather food for the evening and morning to come. So, I got cocky and thought I could do it by myself, but, luckily, the tutor thought- no- knew otherwise. She sent two others with me just in case, and sent us on our way. I don't remember much of them. They were siblings, though.

"I challenged them to a game. It was like tag, but with weapons and a prize. The point is not to get injured and make it back to the base with the satchel where the food would be located. Easy, right? Well, someone-" She clenched her fist, gesturing to herself. Her tone was sharp and her teeth were gritted together. "-thought it would be fine to aim towards their allies. Usually, you would use the weapon to scare them and not actually bring any harm. Shooting near them, perhaps. Just to startle them. But, I was a genius, and I shot her!" It was then that Cyrene realized that her voice was risen in frustration and regretful sorrow, so she inhaled and went hush for a moment. "She was fine. After I made enough money to purchase salve, of course. The siblings left the very next morning, and, when we went searching for them, we were greeted by one of the younger children, lifeless and wounded by an arrow- that arrow. There was a note by the wound. It was a warning and a revenge."

There were tears in the edges of her narrowed eyes, and they began to blur her vision ever so slightly. The redhead gasped for a short amount of air. "Her name was Diana," Cyrene finally managed to mumble, dragging her hand across her face. "The younger girl, I mean. She was pleasant. I liked her." She grinned weakly, trying to lighten the mood. Her mood. "I think she would have like you, too. Pfft- Who am I kidding? She would have loved you. Fantasies and myths and such always amused her, and this-" She held up her hands, motioning to the area around them and nothing in general. "-would have knocked her off her feet! Elves and wars and adventures with a horse twice my size! Ha!" Her laughter was weak, but at least she was grinning again. "But, who knows? She's probably been reborn into a bird or something. Oh! A cardinal! Not only did she adore those, they have great symbolism, too!" Cyrene nodded firmly, confirming that with herself. Then she turned towards Tobias with her fake joy, raising a brow as if she hadn't just admitted one of the secrets she's pushed away for far too long. "How's Duke holdin' up for you..?"

(( Eek! Sorry for the lengthy post! XD I didn't know it would turn out to be an essay! ))

Tobias blinked several times,trying to comprehend her story. He shook his head, he couldn't imagine that kind of thing. Shooting a friend, or aquaintaince, Then again he had been willing to shoot Cyrene when they had first met. Then, after helping them seeing others kill your friend? He shook his head unhappily.He nodded," Er... I'm sorry." He told her, for lack of a better apology. He nodded, not knowing what else to say." I'm sorry." He repeated as if saying it again would instill it's meaning to both of them. Then to answer her question he answered," I think he's alright. I mean I don't know if he's tired, never really been around horses." He shrugged as he patted the side of Duke' s neck affectionatly. " I like 'im pretty good, don't know how well he likes me." He shrugged yet again. He did that a lot.

(( your fine, I wish I could write that long! And besides I love reading long responses.))

She shut her eyes for a moment, nodding once after hesitating. "It's fine. There's no need to apologize, since it wasn't your fault," Cyrene reassured, despite her voice cracking somewhat. She cleared her throat. After snapping back to her forbearing and bubbly nature, the redhead looked towards Duke with a grin. "Nah. He likes you, strangely enough. I- That came out wrong. He normally isn't this.. laid-back?" She blinked rapidly, her brows pinching together as she thought for a moment. "Anyways! Everything's fine, though. With Duke, I mean." Cyrene snickered, covering her mouth with her hand as she failed to hold the full smile longer than she had to.

(( Phew! Thought I wrote a bit too much, for a moment! XD ))

Tobias looked down to her. She was good, better than any he had been tested against. He had been trained to dead others but he wasn't quite sure where to go from here. Nevermind that he was darn right confused. He shook his head to clear it and closed his eyes, thinking. He wasn't sure what to say," so, how do you..." He stopped, remembering what she had said," Er... that's a question." He fumbled over his words. He grinned goofily to her.

Cyrene furrowed her brows with a laugh. "Oh! Tch- I suppose you can ask questions, again," She raised and dropped her shoulders, a repressed smile spreading across her expression. "It'll keep the conversation going, at least. Then we'll arrive at the kingdom quicker, because.. well- logic." She chuckled, somewhat embarrassed she couldn't explain her own thought process. Though, she did look back to Tobias with a risen brow, waiting in anticipation for the supposed query.

Tobias laughed, surprised that his bait had worked." Alright then, Why did your king choose you to deliver the letter?" He asked," I mean, your a rogue, you've let snakes loose in his palace...er castle." He shrugged," Whichever. Anyway, not to be rude, but why would he want you?" He finally expressed his question in an understandable way. Then realizing that even though he had said that he wasn't trying to be rude she still might not take it as qell," I mean, you're obviously handling it well and everything it's just..." He trailed off nervously. He breathed in, unhappy that he was always messing up the conversation.

Her lips pursed, and she scrunched her nose at the question, "Well," Cyrene sent a glance around the area as she spoke, "I'm a colleague of his assistant, and he mentioned it once or twice that the messengers were either missing or too cowardly to head out. Of course, there were a few who dared to go, but.." She shivered. "Anyways, I said I would deliver the letter if he stopped making such a fuss about it, and that was that. The king didn't really trust me at first, but it looked like his only option. I mean, I was the only one insane enough to say I didn't, honestly, care about what the enemy could possibly do. Besides, since we're not on the same page, I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I disappeared for a while." She winked jokingly. Cyrene didn't really take offense by his words, since she knew it could be slightly bewildering in the first place.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » For Arthur!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus