Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » RP'ing in first person

Not looking to start an argument or anything, but I’ve gotten curious now after having experienced a couple of situations where this was just a “deal breaker” in terms of starting an RP (:

Why do people find this a big deal?

I kind of feel like I always have to “warn” people or kind of defend my way of writing if I want to start an RP with someone because I write in first person. I know it’s rare on here, which is also why I always state that I don’t expect my RP Partner to write in first person just because I do (:

So yeah, now I’m just curious and want to hear some reasons behind this (:
Rogue-Scribe

I'm not sure why it is a sticking point with so many people either. I mean 1st person current has a different feel to an RP that isn't any better or worse than 3rd person past tense. I myself tend to write 3rd person and use 1st person in my character's internal thoughts, and some people have a hard time with that. In my RP with you Milsen, I'm practicing my 1st person as I couldn't really think one way while reading and another way while writing. I am really likig the difference! :)

So I too would like to know the answers to Milsen's question.
Agreed .. I usually always write in 1st person cause it gives more of a personal touch in an RP and I like that... but people really do not seem to want to go with that ...
Milsen Topic Starter

Aaricia wrote:
Agreed .. I usually always write in 1st person cause it gives more of a personal touch in an RP and I like that... but people really do not seem to want to go with that ...

Glad I’m not the only one who has had that experience! I’ve just always RP’ed in first person, that’s what everyone did on the page where I started out, so just as much as other people don’t want to write in anything other than 3rd person, I don’t want to write in anything other than 1st (: I’ve never done 3rd just like a lot of people probably never did 1st, so I always say that I don’t expect them to change the way they write if they don’t expect me to change the way I write, and I’m okay with having a combo, so like me writing 1st and them writing 3rd, but I guess not everyone is okay with that... I’ve written a starter before and then the person writes back like ‘I don’t know you wrote in first, I’m not interested then’.. so now I feel like I have to warn people ahead of time to avoid that happening again
That is true... i mean what is the different anyway? Writing in 1st person is basically the same ... sometimes in 3rd person it gets so annoying because if its many people in the RP and they are all being referred to as He or She instead of names and then everything just gets messed up
ok so I have to admit, normally when I rp I rp in person, for like dnd. So I was sort of use to doing it 1st person. I never had to wrote what I was doing I'm first person though and so it never really became a habit. Then I joined an to sight where you HAD to write in third past tense. So now I generally write in third just because that's what's accepted. I can't really understand what y'all are dealing with because I just flip from one type to the other as easily as a frog goes from land to water. I however would never stop a good rp just because the other person didn't write in the same way as me. At that point can you really rp with anyone. I mean everyone has their own style that's unique to then So if you only rp with people that write like you then you will be a very lonely person. Or atleast you should be.
This is a good question and in the end it comes down to preference. A lot of people simply prefer and are more comfortable writing in 3rd person especially compared to first person - like some people prefer and are more comfortable with first person.

I prefer 3rd person writing and reading, 1st person is too personal for me. I just don't enjoy it. When it comes to RP specifically, trying to write in 3rd person while my partner writes in 1st person takes me out of the immersion of the RP so that's unfortunately a no-go.

So technically speaking someone who only writes in 1st person is not someone who can write with me, because we simply don't fit each others preferences and the whole point is to have fun ^-^

I never tell someone they are wrong for writing 1st person, they aren't, but rather "I am uncomfortable with first person and prefer 3rd person so unfortunately I don't believe we'd be a good match but thank you for your interest!"

It's the same for writing-length preferences. I write multi-para typically and prefer a partner who also does. When someone who is a very concise writer expresses interest in rping with me I don't shame them I just explain that I prefer multi-paragraph RP and so we wouldn't match up well as writing partners.

I don't think you should have to 'warn' people but rather be transparent about your writing style so that you and other people can find writer partners that match up with them. I usually always tell someone I prefer to RP in 3rd person and multi-para before the RP even gets starter so we are all on the same page.

The idea that this might cause you to have less partners or be a lonely person isn't true. You're way more likely to find like minded people and people who will pair well as writing partners with you if you are transparent and informative about your writing style in LFRP posts especially. ^-^
It's not "worse" per se but personally it's distracting. Two players both writing in third person is almost like sharing a single camera filming the whole 'movie' of the plot, one or both of them writing in first person feels like suddenly switching view to a GoPro on their head.

Some people seem to think first person is not as legitimate or a sign of poor writing because all renowned books and franchises are written in third person and I think it is a bit of an acting crutch for those who don't know how to convey their character doing things, feeling things as a seperate person.
Hmm MercyinReach summed it up pretty well I think.

It’s like this. There are so many books out there. Some are in first person some are in third. The authors who write in first are no less than the ones who write in third and vice versa.

I think I prefer third because there are more pronouns. Saying “I this and I that.” Gets boring. In Third person you can mix it up.

“The boy, the man, the girl, the women, the king, the queen, the assassin.” Ect. But to each it’s own, and there are quite a few people who RP in first, but you sometimes just have to do some digging.

Good luck!
You know, it's weird because I've been writing my own stories for some time, and some of them I've written in first person. Different stories call for different ways of narration, and I don't mind which I use as long as it suits the story.

But for roleplay, I just don't feel comfortable with it. The reason is that, in an environment of collaborative writing, I just feel better establishing a better boundary between player and character. Third person helps me feel like I'm telling the story, while first makes me feel like I'm acting it out, which is the thing I'm not comfortable with.

Like the others said, it's purely a preference thing, and I hope my answer gives you some insight into what may be going on in other third-person players' heads. I do get the sense that some people judge first-person writers, but I'd like to believe most don't and that we can all agree there is NOTHING to judge. It's like judging someone for having a different favorite color than me!

I loved Lucidus comparison about filming a movie versus GoPro, that's exactly it!
Don't get me wrong. I'm just saying the majority of people seem to prefer third person books despite the fact there are lots of good first person stories. I can't think of a single book in pop culture (as big as, say, ASOIAF or Tolkein's works or anything memed on) in first person or major historical works either, they don't seem to get remembered. That's not me trying to prove first person writing isn't 'as good', I'm speculating over why we have that preference in this thread too.

Skilled writers can avoid confusing and repetitive pronouns by basically doing what Redrose gave examples of. There's a term for it but I can't remember right now.
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I think another reason most players have an issue with first person is because it can start blurring the line between IC and OOC, sometimes to the point where a player feels that actions toward their character is also meant towards them OOCly in some way. Some first-person players are also seen with self-inserts or Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu characters, which doesn't help matters.

Because of this and other reasons (personal preference, more book-like flow, etc.), many people write in third-person: it helps maintain a proper boundary between IC and OOC. Some might feel a first person player will cause trouble because of the reasons listed above, so avoid playing with them. I know there are first person players who can keep IC and OOC separate, but because of those who can't, most won't take the risk nowadays.

(But that's what I've learned when it comes to this subject. I could be wrong, though!)

Me? I don't mind first or third-person players! If someone asked me for roleplay and they played in first person, I wouldn't mind as long as they're cool with the fact that I have to write in third person. It's more comfortable that way.
I also started out as someone who usually wrote in first person (I still do sometimes), but I ended up writing in third person depending on how my RP partners write. I just adapted quickly. But to be honest, I never really experienced an issue like that. The ones I've played with during my first time were pretty nice and considerate... They were patient enough to let me write my own way. It was just my choice to change.
I used to write in first person too! I think I switched to 3rd person because I’m often useing 2 characters and flipping between the two personas can be confusing or rough. I never mind the style a person uses. Honestly I’d kinda like to feel more personal with my characters. As if it was me in the story rather then the character 😹.
When I started roleplaying, I typed in first person script. Now, I do third person paragraphs. It was a transition for me as I went from high school to college, and I had to try out different things until I found the style that I liked. Some people that I rp'd with gave me feedback. I remember early on when I first came to this site, a person told me to add more detail to my writing. I bloomed from there.

I have a problem with writing in first person for the same reason that I have a problem playing D&D. It just feels too personal, now, which has been mentioned a few times on this thread already. These characters are characters. They aren't me, so I don't like making 'I' statements unless my character is talking. Annie said it pretty well, when she said that first person feels more like she's acting it out, while third feels more like she's telling a story. I don't feel comfortable feeling like the actor. I'd rather sound like the story teller, which is another reason I like third person.

With third person, you have an omniscient view point, which I like. A lot of books I read are third person, so that's probably another reason I like it. I'm the type of person that finds something I like and sticks with it. For instance, in forth grade, we had to write in cursive for the whole year. The following year, we could do whatever writing style we wanted. To this day, I write in cursive XD

As for people not liking to rp with someone who does first while they do third, I think that has to do with the two simply not flowing into each other. I know that the point has been made that switching from first to third can be frustrating. To me, switching back and forth disrupts how the story reads. The two don't agree, so it feels like the story clashes from post to post as we go back and forth on which tense we're using. It stresses me out because I tend to correct everything my partner wrote into third person mentally, and then I'm not having fun anymore. It becomes a chore for me by that point.

I know that everyone, though, and what I comfortable for me may not be the same for another. I don't judge anyone for writing one way or the other. I just know that first person isn't right for me, and I wouldn't be happy in that type of rp. There isn't any particular way to write that's 'correct,' so you should write whichever way makes you feel comfortable. It all comes down to preference, in the end. I don't expect anyone to change their writing style just for me, but that's why I put my writing preferences on my profile. It lets someone know what I'm most comfortable with and what will help keep me engaged in a story.

I hope that helps in some way and wasn't just completely confusing! ^^;
Sanne Moderator

The primary reason I don't like first-person RP is because a lot of RPers I've tried that with in the past didn't draw any strict boundaries. To them, me using first-person language in my posts made them believe that my character's actions and feelings were mine, not the character's. As I also play out adult themed RPs, this gets problematic really fast. I enjoy writing those things, but they're not personal that way and I have no feelings in the matter the way my characters do. It's very uncomfortable for everyone in the RP when my first-person posts get mistaken for my real self.

Obviously not everyone does this, it's just that the amount of energy I have to put into ensuring people understand this boundary is so much greater with first-person RPers. When others write in third-person with me, it takes less energy.
Mipps

Honestly I don't really care either way as its not a deal breaker for me. Of course I prefer 3rd person past tense.. but thats because its how I have rp'ed for 20+ years.

I think when people write in the same format its easier on the brain to read. If you plan to use the RP for writing stories/novels then editing is a lot easier.

But for me I prefere 3rd person past tense because its the same format of most novels I have read and just flows better for me when I read. I really cant write any other way.

But I have definitely mix matched writers styles before, I don't think they really class to bad.
I've always written in 3rd person, even back when I was playing my LARP character(s) on game-board forums in between live events... nearly 2 decades ago now. Probably for no other reason than that's what the other players were doing.

BUT...to play devil's advocate, is playing in 1st person closer to the original definition of 'Role-play'? In tabletop games, it doesn't feel odd (to me), when the GM sets the scene and asks "What do you do?"

And the players respond "I hit him!" or "I check for traps!" or, if meeting an NPC, simply dive right into dialog as if their character is speaking.
I'm just not a personal fan, especially since a lot of people who use first person also use second-person to refer to my characters, which just doesn't make sense given I multi-muse and makes me uncomfortable bc I'm not my characters. Also, like other people have said, it feels too personal, and sometimes like the rp is centered on that character only. (i also often forget characters' names when roleplaying with first person and I'm just starkly against Me being referred to or using you/your)

eta - personally in d&d I don't even refer to my character as "I" or "Me" because it's /not/ me. I never died hard beside living precariously through my characters. While when i was younger, they were always based off me loosely, they never /were/ me and that's still going on today.
Mejasoulfruit wrote:
I'm just not a personal fan, especially since a lot of people who use first person also use second-person to refer to my characters, which just doesn't make sense given I multi-muse and makes me uncomfortable bc I'm not my characters. Also, like other people have said, it feels too personal, and sometimes like the rp is centered on that character only. (i also often forget characters' names when roleplaying with first person and I'm just starkly against Me being referred to or using you/your)

My personal experience with 1st person roleplayers has also just kind of been mediocre. A lot of my experience in general has been younger rpers bc /I'm/ a younger rper, however a lack of experience meeting 1st person style tends to result in something that's typically just confusing and too personal. A lot of kids don't wanna be confined to one character but want both characters to be the "I," so it's a lil rough at times.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » RP'ing in first person

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus