Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Unpopular video game opinions

Queen_of_Hell

WHAT IS UP EPIC GAMERS!

We as people, as a community and as a nation have experienced games of various play styles and genres nearly in the same way. However, despite the fact that we played the same games on nearly the same platforms, we as human beings have different opinions. Even if there's something people will deem as amazing, others might just look at it not understanding what people see or even hate it. And that's the beauty of it. When you hear each opinion, you might see something about the subject or a thing you haven't noticed before. That's objectivity and unbias - when you look at something without already established opinion and judgement.

But today, we're talking about our subjective opinions on games!

Now remember lovelies:

Please be kind and understanding, we're just having a fun discussion about games. And don't be offended if someone ends up negatively criticizing one of your favorite games!

I'll share my unpopular opinion...

I played The Last of Us years ago. It was such a linear and personally insignificant experience that I literally forgot I ever played and finished the game.

Rage is one of my favorite FPS games. I don't think even I know why. It was just so super fun that I loved it. Yet I am well-aware why people don't like it and I agree with them.

Honest to god. I have never cared about the graphics. To be frank, the better the graphics are, the more games begin to look like each other. It lost creativity and the vibe the old games had. Of course, there are the newer games who do accomplish to have a style of their own. But the majority is the same shizzle.

What about you? What are your unpopular gaming opinions?
nightmqre

From what I've seen within my circle of friends, my opinion on What Remains of Edith Finch seems to be unpopular.

Visually, the game is very pleasing. But story wise, for me, it was too confusing. I think they tried to cram too much plot and too much story into this short game, in such a small cramped space.

They didn't execute the mystery of the plot in a way which actually worked, either. It just felt like there wasn't enough explanation to actually draw an emotional response from me. (And it's not that difficult- I'm a very emotional person.) They just threw you into this house, leading you into different rooms where you'd witness a flashback through a different persons eyes. And aside from being told that all these people were within Edith's family, we got no background to why all these things happened aside from "oh, the family is under a curse!"

It just didn't do it for me. It's supposed to be a story-based adventure game, and yet we get little information on what the story actually is. :/
My unpopular opinion is that Final Fantasy 7 is not nearly as good as we all make it out to be. Don't get me wrong, I love the game. I'm talking original btw, because I haven't gotten to play the remake. It's a very good game, but I don't think it's earth shattering and I definitely don't think it's the very best Final Fantasy. I will play it again and again for nostalgia, but I think that our nostalgia for the game sometimes makes us look at it as a much better product that it actually was.
Marie wrote:
My unpopular opinion is that Final Fantasy 7 is not nearly as good as we all make it out to be. Don't get me wrong, I love the game. I'm talking original btw, because I haven't gotten to play the remake. It's a very good game, but I don't think it's earth shattering and I definitely don't think it's the very best Final Fantasy. I will play it again and again for nostalgia, but I think that our nostalgia for the game sometimes makes us look at it as a much better product that it actually was.

Casey is breaking up with Ericc immediately and we can't be friends anymore :P

In all seriousness though, I love FF7 but I also think that it isn't the best FF out there (Both FFIV and FFVI had arguably better stories). That isn't the unpopular game opinion I have though. The unpopular opinion I have is about Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Yeah its a decent game, but I do not understand the ridiculous ravenous need to like ... get certain villagers etc. I haven't played it much since I 'beat' it (got KK to come to the island which causes credits to run). Maybe its where I am not that artistic, but like so many people give it amazing accolades and I'm just like "Yeah its alright..." xD
I'm not a fan of Final Fantasy, period. The fact that every main game starts in a different world with new mechanics and lore to learn is offputting to me.

Oh, and I actually like the ice mechanics in games. Everyone seems to hate them so much, but I love the extra challenge in ice levels.
my unpopular opinion would be all the FPS games that just consist of shooting and too much camera movement. Specifically the CoD franchise, that's a dead horse that's been beaten so much there's nothing left but pulp. And don't even get me started on that feud that happened between Battlefield and CoD. Battlefield had too much camera movement which induced motion sickness. Most FPS games (especially ones based on military) look the same and don't have much plot. The only FPS I've ever enjoyed was Crysis and Resistance Fall of Man (I was 9 when that one came out). Those had a clear story and nice gameplay.

As for the Assassin's Creed franchise I grew up with that, it came out after Mirror's Edge which set off the trend of games that involved parkour. It's open world and of course is historically based (the amount of research that went into it had me shook). However my friends say it's quality and repetitive mechanics are a downside. I can agree on the quality part since the story line is a mess with the modern characters as opposed to the ancestors. Plus Ubisoft is infamous for shooting itself in the foot. On mechanics I partially agreed, because of the fiasco that was AC: Unity having issues and the poor leveling up system of AC: Origins. Which was improved in Odyssey and expanded on/improved in AC: Valhalla (they started involving RPG mechanics more in Odyssey). What's gonna piss me off however is if AC:Valhalla is only released on that new samsung fridgerator black lego block lookin ass Xbox bc I cannot afford it and I have a feeling it may alienate longtime fans who can't get it on current consoles.

And that's the tea sis.

TLDR; FPS games lack creativity and originality. Friends think Assassin's Creed is meh as far as gameplay goes. (sorry this turned into an essay)
RedPandaFox

I'm fairly sure this is an unpopular opinion, although I've heard different things.

My unpopular opinion is that Fallout 4 is amazing. I love to play it, how there are quests integrated into the open world and active decisions that can actually change things. I've heard that people love the Fallout: New Vegas and the other early Fallout games more, but Fallout 4 is my favorite.
MangoNekros

I loved Fallout 4. All these "Pros" and reviewers putting it down due to glitches and quality design, but I play the game to explore a wasteland, shoot mutants, and waste Mini-Nukes on Rad Roaches. (Never give an NPC a Fat Man XD)

A game I think is unpopular is Warframe. I dunno, it's like Destiny, but not garbage. You get to be a alien-ninja parkour dude and just look like a complete legend. The game seems to constantly get updates, and has a heavy collection of Weapons, companions, items, and Warframes. (The alien suit your character wears). Every warframe has a special set of moves that are distinctive. (If you want some examples, look up Nekros, Excaliber, Oberon, and Revenant. Those are the Warframes I have). I think if the game was Cross-Platform, it would become much more popular
RedPandaFox

Honestly, I don't see the glitches except for a few I can live with. And the quality design is amazing. I love how everything looks dirty and torn. It really adds to the atmosphere. I love games with more quests instead of open world. (Is that an unpopular video game concept?) Quests really help me have a purpose instead of just wandering. And of course, I can wander on my way to the quests. My main problem in Fallout 4 right now is that I have a few limited weapons I'm too afraid to use. Like the alien gun and mini-nukes. I think that they're so amazing that I don't use them. And earlier on I used to run out of ammo a ton so now I prefer to use melee weapons like Grognaks Axe. Honestly, I only use about two weapons. Grognaks Axe and Righteous Authority (Even though I destroyed the brotherhood).
People always seem to get very passionate when I mention I've only ever played Final Fantasy 13 and really liked it. 'You only like it because you've never played any of the others' they say. 'If you had played others you'd know it's trash' *shrug* Maybe so. But I still really enjoyed it.
All of David Cage's games (Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, Detroit: Become Human, etc) are all extremely overrated. They suffer from bad narrative and bland characters. While they do have a couple of cool sections and/or ideas, they are just bland experiences with basically the same tropes but with different skins.

Death Stranding isn't as amazing as people make it out to be.

RockStar writes amazing stories and characters but their mission structure is extremely outdated and has to change. Their games should either be completely free-roam or strictly linear narrative experience. They can't be both, like Red Dead 2. Amazing game, but the story missions were extremely frustrating because they simply boiled down "follow this yellow line on your map, do not deviate from it or you will fail".

Assassin's Creed should end and games like Valhalla should be branded under a new IP, or very clearly be branded as a spin-off and not a main entry.

Video games set in non-English speaking countries should have an option to be played in their native language instead of having a cast with a terrible and fake accent. Games who have that this right, e.g. Yakuza and Ghost of Tsushima in Japanese and the Metro series in Russian.
I like water levels! Yes, even the water temple in Ocarina of Time. I know that water levels are so often hated upon, but I enjoy them. I mean, there are bad ones out there, but there are bad versions of every level out there. I'll take a water level over a fire or lava level any day of the week though.

I never liked the Sonic games! They go too fast. I'm a meticulous sort of gamer. I like to check every rock and poke my head in ever hole. Sonic games seem to encourage just speeding through them though. By the time I think I see a secret, it's two screens away and I have to try to back track and it's just frustrating!
Dndmama wrote:
I like water levels! Yes, even the water temple in Ocarina of Time. I know that water levels are so often hated upon, but I enjoy them. I mean, there are bad ones out there, but there are bad versions of every level out there. I'll take a water level over a fire or lava level any day of the week though.

I am also a fan of water levels, and learned to love the water temple from Ocarina of Time, actually rather quickly. It became my quickest temple in the game to beat!

A game I'm obsessed with lately isn't too popular, and some people say it has more of a learning cliff. But, I think the developers of Elite: Dangerous do a good job overall with the community, regardless of the complaints that some people like to pop off about - yes, some are more serious than others; but I think Frontier does a great job of addressing and balancing these, and owning when an update has unintended consequences - like accidentally suddenly virtually deleting the fuel you get from mining which is required for fleet carriers, that now has the Deep Space Support Array mostly stranded. But hey, they owned it and the fix is coming. :)

That said, I've also been a fan of the Panzer Dragoon series which is criminally underrated, and I hate that there isn't a dictionary for the language in the series. Did you know they literally went as deep as other conlangs such as Elvish in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, or the Na'vi language in James Cameron's Avatar? The remake did pretty well, but there is still not anywhere near enough interest in this series out there. The world is just fantastic! It's even influenced Studio Ghibli, early concept art of the film "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" showed her riding on a dragon rather than the winged thing with handles that ended up in the film. Not sure if this was confirmed in interview or not, but... *goes to dig through piles of youtube videos* I'll edit if I find that.
I've seen a lot of hate tossed around for the ending of Ori and the Will of the Wisps, but I actually felt the ending was actually very well executed. One of the big complaints I've seen is people saying that it pretty much came out of nowhere, but honestly, it's foreshadowed as early as the prologue if one actually pays attention to the narration. I wouldn't say I liked the ending in the sense of sparking happy emotions, because it was soooo bittersweet, but I appreciated it as a work of writing.

HUUUGE SPOILERS

The fact that the narrator - whose voice should instantly be recognisable as a Spirit Tree to those who played Blind Forest - uses the pronoun 'we' to refer to Ori and Ku, and also refers to Ku by name, it's fairly obvious that it's Ori doing the narration. So whilst it doesn't give away that the transition occurs at the end of the game per se, it definitely shows that the transition is a part of Ori's future.

Another seemingly unpopular opinion is that I just don't like MMOs. Gameplay eventually becomes a chore, and the fun factor is too tied into either finding satisfaction to dungeon raiding with strangers or building up a strong social network you feel comfortable gathering a party from. As someone with severe social anxiety, finds difficulty assimilating into groups and does not enjoy grinding as a necessary gameplay function (I can't say that I don't grind in other games - I am a notorious power-leveller in Final Fantasy games to the point that I once reached level 50 in FFVIII before even visiting Deling - but I like it to be optional), it's just not for me.

There's a lot of love out there for Mario and Sonic, but in my opinion the best non-metroidvania 2D (or 2.5D) platforming series is the Klonoa series. Sure it's not exactly the most difficult, but for solid storylines, epic cuteness and great soundtracks (particularly in the case of Klonoa 2), it's a series that really should be up there with Mario and Sonic. Sonic, in agreement with earlier mentions in this thread, is far too fast-paced for me and Mario... I never really grew up with Nintendo consoles and tbh, as a protagonist Mario has never really appealed to me either. What I have seen of Mario gameplay, I haven't been hugely impressed with.

I'd also like to put out there that whilst the Half Life series of games is enjoyable to play, I feel it's kinda overrated. I mean it could be because I'm not a huge shooter fan, but if you want sci-fi zombie spookums, System Shock 2 is far more effective (though you'd need to mod it to not laugh at the outdated graphics these days... there is an Enhanced Edition supposedly coming soon though alongside a full-on remaster of the original System Shock)... if I had a pound for every time I've noped out of that game from pure spooks... Also, there are plenty of FPS games that offer better action gameplay than Half Life both in terms of platform shooters and realistic shooters. I wouldn't say I've come across many/any games that mix single-player storyline horror, shooters and platforming as well as Half-Life, but you can say that sort of thing about a lot of games in other genre mixes that aren't held on the same kind of pedestal by the gaming community.

As a bonus... it's sorta indirectly video game related (as it involves a series based on a video game), but really it's a TV thing... but it's probably an unpopular opinion anyways so eh... I'm gunna go out and say that Avatar: The Last Airbender isn't all that special (it's alright, but I had trouble getting into it). What has that got to do with video games? Well, I'll tell you what anime-inspired series I do love... and is probably one of my favourite animated series of all time in general... and that's Wakfu, which is based on a video game of the same name (though I never played it, because apparently it's very grindy and is only really fun with a dedicated group of friends... plus see above for my opinion on MMOs).
Elysian-Wolf wrote:
Dndmama wrote:

I am also a fan of water levels, and learned to love the water temple from Ocarina of Time, actually rather quickly. It became my quickest temple in the game to beat!

A game I'm obsessed with lately isn't too popular, and some people say it has more of a learning cliff. But, I think the developers of Elite: Dangerous do a good job overall with the community, regardless of the complaints that some people like to pop off about - yes, some are more serious than others; but I think Frontier does a great job of addressing and balancing these, and owning when an update has unintended consequences - like accidentally suddenly virtually deleting the fuel you get from mining which is required for fleet carriers, that now has the Deep Space Support Array mostly stranded. But hey, they owned it and the fix is coming. :)

That said, I've also been a fan of the Panzer Dragoon series which is criminally underrated, and I hate that there isn't a dictionary for the language in the series. Did you know they literally went as deep as other conlangs such as Elvish in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, or the Na'vi language in James Cameron's Avatar? The remake did pretty well, but there is still not anywhere near enough interest in this series out there. The world is just fantastic! It's even influenced Studio Ghibli, early concept art of the film "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" showed her riding on a dragon rather than the winged thing with handles that ended up in the film. Not sure if this was confirmed in interview or not, but... *goes to dig through piles of youtube videos* I'll edit if I find that.

I'm a fan of the water levels too and also love the Panzer Dragon series even though I have only played the first and last one.
def unpopular in my opinion Edith was such an amazing game that made me cry on multiple occasions yes I wish it was longer story was cramped yes I wish more backstory on Edith herself was made and things could be clarified but other than that I think it’s a fantastic game about the downfall of the finch family from suicide to drug abuse to paranoia and lies such a great story but I can see your view aswell
I don't like Final Fantasy or Animal Crossing and I feel like a heretic when I mention this because so many people love those series.
I still love Skyrim and Fallout 4 (but they have to be modded). In fact, I love FO4's settlement building because it somewhat reminds me of customizing stuff in the Sims, and I have at least ten mods dedicated solely to playing more in depth city builder.
So many games require online play now. Multiplayer isn't bad but when you don't live in an area with good internet( or to get good net your shelling out 280 or more a month) it really sucks. Finding games with offline multiplayer options is tricky now too. I haven't enjoyed a good multiplayer match in years as a result. Food and bills are more important than internet. The bonus, as someone mentioned earlier, no worries about social anxiety.

Next is DLC. Awesome stuff really and can improve the games greatly. Again the stuff requires net and having the funds in a limited amount of time. Heartbreaking when your late to a game only to discover you can't play half of it ( some games torment you with ingame DLC locked areas) and lose out on some really cool goodies.

I know this is an unpopular view because I am forever getting razzed for being against DLC and heavy online gaming. "The companies need to make their money too" Yes, they do but I believe 60 per new release plus patches and DLC fees is a bit greedy. Maybe it's I cause I grew up in the era where you payed 50 per new release and got everything in the game? Rare and awesome equipment, quests, ect were earned through hours of hard work. That was worth bringing friends over to brag about or even work together to get the goods. Skills man! Skills! Now it just feels like a case of who has the biggest wallet. In all fairness, some games do have the DLC later released on disk and it's greatly appreciated.
Marie wrote:

Beat me to it! Good game, but it’s a bit overrated. Back when it came out in 1997, I remember one of the taglines used to describe it was “quite possible the best story ever told.” Even when the game was still relatively new, I was playing it and thinking: “alright, let’s calm down a bit.”
MordosKull

Here's one; I think Heroes of the Storm is better than League of Legends and Dota 2.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Unpopular video game opinions

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus